http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 08:02:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Superman: Man of Steel  (Read 17070 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »

Took my kids to see this yesterday and we loved it.  Superman 2 was my favorite of the movies I watched as a kid and so was anticipating seeing Zod, but wasn't sure if I would like the new one more.  Turns out I did.  My son commented it was his favorite of the super hero movies he's seen (not sure I agree with him there, but the kid is entitled to his own opinion).  One thing I liked about this movie over Superman 2 is how today's special effects allowed them to really give Zod and Faora (Ursa) the appearance of being much more deadly than they appeared in the older movie.

Oh, and one more funny thing...after the army woman commented that Superman was hot, my daughter confirmed.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »

Russell Crowe is up for a Prequel

Would Russell Crowe play Jor-El again in a new Superman movie? Yes, but no need to keep asking him...

With Man Of Steel closing in on a $300m take in the US, the latest big screen reboot of Superman can be called a success for Warner Bros. And for Russell Crowe, this has meant one thing in particular: he's been asked a lot as to whether he'd be looking to reprise the role of Jor-El in a Man Of Steel prequel.

Admitting that he's "sick of reading the same question" on his Twitter feed, Crowe put the record straight, saying that "a lot of you are asking about a KRYPTON prequel, if that's something you feel strongly about let @Legendary Pictures know your thoughts". He went on to admit that "if it came up, I'd give the tights another go".

It's an unlikely direction for the Superman movie franchise, in truth. But we wouldn't rule out all concerned finding a way to shoehorn Crowe into the now-inevitable Man Of Steel 2

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 08, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »

Baby of Steel?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 19, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »

How it should have ended

Saving thousands of lives and billions of dollars in property damage.  icon_twisted

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 13, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »

Watched this last night and really liked the first half and then the second half was wanton destruction on a massive scale and it just lost my interest.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 18, 2013, 01:34:32 AM »

finally saw it tonight, and liked it quite a bit.  now that's how you do a superpowered smack down:  violent with lots of damage.  no silly vinyl villain costumes, no magic saran wrap, just pure beatdowns.

some other thoughts:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was surprised they left Emil Hamilton on the plane, and wonder if they find .  Felt like they did a great job getting his look down.

I appreciate that they offed Zod like that.  With no way to exile him back to the Phantom Zone it made sense.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: November 18, 2013, 01:51:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2013, 01:34:32 AM

finally saw it tonight, and liked it quite a bit.  now that's how you do a superpowered smack down:  violent with lots of damage.  no silly vinyl villain costumes, no magic saran wrap, just pure beatdowns.

I watched this a couple nights ago and I felt the same way.  That really felt like super powered dudes kicking the shit out of each other to the best of their ability.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 19, 2013, 10:55:51 PM »

of course, all the Christ symbolism could have been toned down.  hell, the part where he is talking in the church has a stained glass window of Jesus that makes it look like JC is wearing a red cape.

Because I can,
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 28, 2014, 01:39:35 AM »

I've only watched the first 10 minutes, but I enjoy that version of Krypton much more than how it's been portrayed for the last 30 or so years. It reminded me of the pre-John Byrne Krypton with thought beasts and fire falls.

As I said, not seen this yet, but I have seen Justice League: War (the New 52 based animated). I also rewatched Superman (1978) lately. If the Man of Steel character is like the one in War, I much prefer the older characterization.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 29, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »

I liked the movie a lot, but I hated Henry Cavil as Superman. His acting was really stiff and at times you could hear his British Accent. They rarely had him speak while in costume, but when he does it is really wooden.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 11, 2014, 12:51:50 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on January 28, 2014, 01:39:35 AM

I've only watched the first 10 minutes, but I enjoy that version of Krypton much more than how it's been portrayed for the last 30 or so years. It reminded me of the pre-John Byrne Krypton with thought beasts and fire falls.

As I said, not seen this yet, but I have seen Justice League: War (the New 52 based animated). I also rewatched Superman (1978) lately. If the Man of Steel character is like the one in War, I much prefer the older characterization.

I finally did watch this on HBO in 3D. My ability to suspend belief was exceeded because of some of the things, but I agree with Batman in one of the Super Hero Cafe episodes. "'The Man of Steel' was not inspiring."

All in all 1978's, with all it's silliness is still a better Superman movie IMO.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 11, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »

Oh, per my "flying dildos" comment way back around release -- my friend and I started laughing during this scene, just about blew our beer out our nostrils -- it's up on YouTube for posterity.  icon_razz

Man of Steel: Flying Dildos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkExGfUv4Q
No sounds, so you can add your own screenplay.

"We banish you! To frozen Dildo-dom!"
"May you forever be imprisoned in your Dildos!"

Probably some sort of mature Zack Snyder metaphor...  Fabulous In retrospect, it seems like an outtake from Prometheus.  smirk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:08:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 12, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on May 11, 2014, 12:51:50 AM

I finally did watch this on HBO in 3D. My ability to suspend belief was exceeded because of some of the things, but I agree with Batman in one of the Super Hero Cafe episodes. "'The Man of Steel' was not inspiring."

All in all 1978's, with all it's silliness is still a better Superman movie IMO.

I liked it, but I felt they downplayed the relationship with his father and mother.  They made them less heroic in a way.  At least with the father.  That kind of heroism without superpowers is what made Superman what he eventually became.  For example:  Pa Kent would never place the life of a bus full of children behind his son's need to keep his secret.  Never. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 12, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 12, 2014, 01:55:31 PM

Quote from: sgoldj on May 11, 2014, 12:51:50 AM

I liked it, but I felt they downplayed the relationship with his father and mother.  They made them less heroic in a way.  At least with the father.  That kind of heroism without superpowers is what made Superman what he eventually became.  For example:  Pa Kent would never place the life of a bus full of children behind his son's need to keep his secret.  Never. 

Pa Kent was the most egregious problem with the movie.  Behind that was the lack of Superman as an inspiration.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 12, 2014, 02:46:32 PM »

Yeah, although I think they tried a bit with the scene in which Zod threatens Martha Kent, Supes overhears it from miles away, and the next scene is Supes dragging the guy through cornfields while yelling, "You think you can threaten my mother!?" 

That's probably one of the only scenes that captured the feeling of the original Donner films for me.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 12, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »

I agree that the way Jonathan Lent was portrayed was the biggest miscasting of a character, and even that Clark's character reasonably flowed from it. The net effect was not a Superman that I thought was true to the character.

That might have all changed in the New 52 for all I know, I have not been that keen on the reboot.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 13, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »

I've not been terribly impressed with most of the 52 reboot stuff myself.  Especially Superman.  I think they're trying to mimic J. Michael Straczynski's Superman graphic novels....and I find him to be one of the most overrated authors around.  I loved Babylon 5, don't get me wrong.  But everything else of his I've come across has left me cold.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 13, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on May 12, 2014, 07:32:32 PM

I agree that the way Jonathan Lent was portrayed was the biggest miscasting of a character, and even that Clark's character reasonably flowed from it. The net effect was not a Superman that I thought was true to the character.

The performance was a bit ... unleavened.  I do hope they passover any further attempts to extend this story line. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:03:05 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 13, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »

ninja

Oh you...I saw what you did there. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 13, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »

If you were going to let it slide by, I felt obligated to pick up the slack.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 13, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »

I didn't want to say anything in case it was a speech impediment. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 13, 2014, 07:33:46 PM »

First Look at the Batsuit

Spoiler for Hiden:

Dark Knight, anyone?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:38:22 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 13, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »

Every time I see a comic book movie, I can't help but think how influential Tim Burton's Batman has been on every attempt since it premiered.  At least in the realm of aesthetics.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 13, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »

The suit has veins?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 13, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »

This does seem to be the hot topic on the Internet today.  Seems fine to me.  Until it is in action it is impossible to really tell how well it works in the film. 

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 13, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 13, 2014, 02:01:34 PM

Quote from: sgoldj on May 12, 2014, 07:32:32 PM

The performance was a bit ... unleavened.  I do hope they passover any further attempts to extend this story line. 

icon_lol   Pick on the Jew boy, I can take it!  Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: