http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 12:04:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Superman: Man of Steel  (Read 16677 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »

So.. Saw this at a midnight showing and while I felt the movie was pretty good/decent, I wasn't "super" impressed... The movie seemed to drag on for me and I felt that it was too long...
Between this and The end which I saw last night, I enjoyed the End much more.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »

I Just got back,i will echo Punisher's comment and say the film was great,but IMO doesn't come close to Superman:The Movie..but admittedly,its not trying to be,its a very different film

Shannon as Zod,again was great but seemed to lose a lot of the calm and menacing that Terence Stamp stamped on the character(yeah,you saw what i did)

But,overall i did enjoy the movie...although
Spoiler for Hiden:
Can one get bored of things being destroyed/smashed up?

From the start to the finish,it just seemed everything was always getting destroyed

All i can say is that its a good job Metropolis has many,many buildings

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 14, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »

I thought the first Superman was kinda dull; same reason why I didn't like Superman Returns: they made Lex Luthor a villainous real-estate agent and comic relief instead of the proper villain he ought to be.  as for Terence Stamp, blu ray kinda ruined his menacing effect when I realized he was wearing blackish red thigh high stripper boots...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »

Rotten Tomatoes based on 187 reviews  icon_confused

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

woohoo!  the local theater does indeed have it in 3D.  may go see it tomorrow.

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 14, 2013, 07:53:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2013, 04:17:07 PM

I Just got back,i will echo Punisher's comment and say the film was great,but IMO doesn't come close to Superman:The Movie..but admittedly,its not trying to be,its a very different film

Shannon as Zod,again was great but seemed to lose a lot of the calm and menacing that Terence Stamp stamped on the character(yeah,you saw what i did)

But,overall i did enjoy the movie...although
Spoiler for Hiden:
Can one get bored of things being destroyed/smashed up?

From the start to the finish,it just seemed everything was always getting destroyed

All i can say is that its a good job Metropolis has many,many buildings
I did enjoy the actors portrayal of Superman and there were many times that I felt I was looking at a younger Cristopher Reeve (Which is a good thing for me).
Zod bothered me a lot though... There were a LOT of scenes where he didn't look real and looked like a 3d render.. even on closeups...
other thoughts:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I agree.. WAY too much destruction.... too much quantity, not enough quality.
The whole first hour or so dragged.. That could have been cut, but I did like the scenes of Jor-El being a badass..
not enough Superman time really... It's almost like he gets his suit then 5 minutes later is battling Zod & Co.. Didn't really like the way it was handled.. they could have had him coming out to the world and spent some time building trust stopping normal things for a way, then when people are on the fence about him, have Zod come so he can really prove himself.
I also never really got any sense of him really being "Super"man.. exceptions were the oil rig and when he removes the handcuffs.. Because he is fighting his equals, there isn't really any way to have him be "super"

other, probably worse spoilers.
Spoiler for Hiden:
1) so Clark spends this time on earth building his powers, but after 30 minutes on Earth Zod and his crew are just as or even more powerful than him.
2) They made it seem like the Zod crew needed the armor to breath on Earth, but that eemed to change pretty quick
3)
Spoiler for Hiden:
So Superman kills now?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 14, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2013, 04:51:57 PM

I thought the first Superman was kinda dull; same reason why I didn't like Superman Returns: they made Lex Luthor a villainous real-estate agent and comic relief instead of the proper villain he ought to be.  as for Terence Stamp, blu ray kinda ruined his menacing effect when I realized he was wearing blackish red thigh high stripper boots...

Fixed that to reflect where you stopped making any sense at all.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: June 15, 2013, 02:14:44 AM »

Just got out of it and I thought it was INCREDIBLE. Way better than I expected or hoped it to be. I really don't understand the hate or tepidness of some of the responses I'm seeing online.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 15, 2013, 02:57:19 AM »

Just got back from the super surround sound icon_razz 3D showing.
Loved it. Not a comic book guy but liked the story and the new telling.

I really liked the portrayal of Zod. For me he just oozed power and fear. Well done performance wise.

Spoiler for Hiden:
destruction was a little much in NY battles but didn't ruin the movie.
Spoiler for Hiden:
totally surprised at the kill scene
Spoiler for Hiden:
loved the little references to the 1st movie

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 15, 2013, 05:22:26 AM »

As far as Man of Steel goes, Wash. Post trashed it, EW panned it, haven't really seen too many reviews that had much enthusiasm for it, and am surprised at how many basically think it's a stinker or just plain underwhelming.

I'm not saying it's "not any good," or it won't make a zillion dollars (all the Transformers sequels show how pointless reviews are at predicting audience acceptance of a movie). I do get the sinking feeling the best scenes are all in the trailer, and now I'm not even certain I really need to see the full movie.

And for all David Goyer's involvement in Nolan's Batman films, they leave out that Jonah Nolan probably did a heavier share of the actual scripting on those, esp. the first two. In fact, there's this running complaint about just how Clark Kent travels from one place to another in Man of Steel that sounds identical to a certain complaint in The Dark Knight Rises. Very weird.  icon_neutral Perhaps I should just go see Star Trek into Darkness a 5th time.  icon_smile

imho, my advice is don't watch anything Superman if you're going to see Man of Steel, esp. if you never saw the 1970s/1980s films.

Forget the past, and just try to watch it with a open mind. I envy anyone who didn't see the Christopher Reeve films cause you can walk into Man of Steel with a clear, open mind free of baggage and expectation. I can't.

I would've said the same about Batman Begins in 2005. If you dug up Tim Burton's 1989 take, you'd walk in thinking Heath Ledger couldn't hold a candle to Jack Nicholson (when it was probably the other way around), and why WB thought the guy who directed Memento and Insomnia should direct a Batman movie would beyond you. I love many, many Richard Donner movies btw.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: June 15, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 15, 2013, 05:22:26 AM

Perhaps I should just go see Star Trek into Darkness a 5th time.  icon_smile

Good luck. We went to see it (for the first time) yesterday afternoon, but it was already gone from our nearby cineplex. The internet had told me just two days earlier that we could see a matinee. I was surprised that it barely had a 6-week run...in my day successful movies stuck around for months. Oh, and they have reserved seating in all of their theaters now. When did that become a thing? It slowed the ticket line to a crawl. I don't think we'll be going back there.

Another local theater said they'll still have it for one more week, so we're going to try again tomorrow. We've seen every previous ST movie in the theater so there's a tradition to uphold here.

Not at all interested in Superman, though, outside of the netflix queue.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 15, 2013, 03:46:29 PM

Oh, and they have reserved seating in all of their theaters now. When did that become a thing? It slowed the ticket line to a crawl. I don't think we'll be going back there.

Cineplex up here in Canuckistan has a mobile app for ticket purchase and for the reserved seating engagements you can also select your seat. Redeem ticket at theater by scanning bar code and you're in!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 16, 2013, 03:41:17 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 15, 2013, 03:46:29 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on June 15, 2013, 05:22:26 AM

Perhaps I should just go see Star Trek into Darkness a 5th time.  icon_smile

Good luck. We went to see it (for the first time) yesterday afternoon, but it was already gone from our nearby cineplex. The internet had told me just two days earlier that we could see a matinee. I was surprised that it barely had a 6-week run...in my day successful movies stuck around for months. Oh, and they have reserved seating in all of their theaters now. When did that become a thing? It slowed the ticket line to a crawl. I don't think we'll be going back there.

Another local theater said they'll still have it for one more week, so we're going to try again tomorrow. We've seen every previous ST movie in the theater so there's a tradition to uphold here.

Not at all interested in Superman, though, outside of the netflix queue.

This has been quite common in theatres for years now, especially in the summer.  Im actually surprised thats its had a very solid 6 week run.   4 weeks seems to be the norm for a blockbuster these days and then after that its pretty much only showing in a few places.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 16, 2013, 03:55:42 AM »

Saw it tonight.

Spoiler for Hiden:
First hour or so felt a bit jumbled especially with the flashbacks. Once the bad guys showed up it seemed to find more solid footing. Having Lois Lane on the bomber was pretty silly. Like she couldn't have told them how to put a key in a hole? Didn't have a problem with Superman killing. He really had no choice, since Zod would just fight forever and there wasn't exactly any way to restrain him.

So did all the colonies die out just because they didn't want to have natural children? That part seemed a little weird.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 16, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »

The Thursday grosses make the math a bit tricky, but it now seems like Man of Steel is guaranteed to earn at least $120 million by Sunday. It could even make it over $140 million if it winds up being a major draw on Father's Day.

the film got $44million from domestic day one(Friday that is),scattered Thursday shows means its earned $56.05 million total for the end of Friday

just for fun:-Although 7 years ago now,Superman Returns made a total of $200million domestically($391 million worldwide)

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: June 16, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 15, 2013, 02:14:44 AM

Just got out of it and I thought it was INCREDIBLE. Way better than I expected or hoped it to be. I really don't understand the hate or tepidness of some of the responses I'm seeing online.

Just got back from seeing it, agree with the above.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 16, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »

Going by Rotten Tomatoes, it seems that movie goers are liking it quite a bit ( currently at 82% )    The critics?  Not so much ( currently at 56% )

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 16, 2013, 10:48:28 PM »

Fantastic movie. Absolute spectacle, but I think the hit the tone wonderfully and I think it's a great start to truly begin a Superman series of movies.

The theater applauded at the end, so it seems like I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 16, 2013, 11:21:11 PM »

ya i really hate it when people applause in movie theatres.  THERE ARE NO FREAKING ACTORS THERE TO ACCEPT THE APPLAUSE!  So annoying.

I liked the move in general.  I really had to just forget what i already know about the 80's superman and live with the changes.  I really wished they had at least played the true theme song once, and had the classic superman flyby and wink at the end.  Instead they spent too much time destroying buildings.

Didn't really like the change of relationship with Clark Kent/Superman/Lois Lane.

But overall I enjoyed it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 16, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 16, 2013, 11:21:11 PM

ya i really hate it when people applause in movie theatres.  THERE ARE NO FREAKING ACTORS THERE TO ACCEPT THE APPLAUSE!  So annoying.

I liked the move in general.  I really had to just forget what i already know about the 80's superman and live with the changes.  I really wished they had at least played the true theme song once, and had the classic superman flyby and wink at the end.  Instead they spent too much time destroying buildings.

Didn't really like the change of relationship with Clark Kent/Superman/Lois Lane.

But overall I enjoyed it.

Applause isn't just for the actors' sake.  It is also a release for the audience and a way to collectively show appreciation.

Now a standing ovation might be a little much.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2013, 11:42:10 PM

Applause isn't just for the actors' sake.  It is also a release for the audience and a way to collectively show appreciation.

Now a standing ovation might be a little much.

oops.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 17, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »

The only movie Ive ever seen in the theatres that got basically a standing ovation was a very long time ago.  It was The Sting and the reaction was very deserved.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:03 PM »

Watched it last night. Thought it was Ok, but very flawed. Zack Snyder finally gets it right by depicting Sup as truly super-powered--the CGI fighting sequences were amazing. So was the opening sequence in Krypton.. but man, the man can not do character development to save his life. The rest of the movie feels disjointed, like it was edited with a chainsaw. Henry Cavill is super-hot as hot, but he's not given much to do and has the acting skills of a lump of wood. Michael Shannon was great as Zod. Rusell Crowe was also good as Jor-El.. but why is Jor-El all over this movie? There was too much Jor-El! The ghost of Jor-El onboard the spaceships? Bullshit! And lastly, poor Amy Adams as Lois Lane. The Sup-Lois love story is practically non-existent in this flick. It's just there because the script says they kiss at the end. Oh, well. At least, they blew shit up good.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 17, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »

Almost $200 million worldwide its first weekend.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I saw only one brief Lex Luther reference when a couple of gas tanker trunks were destroyed during one of the fight scenes. Were there more? I would guess that Lex is going to use the body armor discarded by Zod when he went with the full body leotard.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 20, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »

I'm debating finally seeing this tonight, but it's 2 1/2 hours long and I don't really feel like heading home at 10 p.m. I think I'll hit the road, and see where my steering wheel takes me.  icon_smile

If I had more time, I'd set up a poll, but you guys would STILL send me off to see a dreadful Saw movie.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »

Romy, there were no fights in NY btw, that would make it Marvel.  DC uses fake cities, they can't afford the real thing.  ninja

edit: the change in dynamic between Lois and Clark made a ton of sense to me.  It never made any sense to me that Lois is this awesome reporter than can't figure out who Superman is.  It gives her skills much more credibility that she knows who he is early, and I think it can make their interactions even better in the long run.

I enjoyed the Luther-Corp truck.

Lots of plot flaws/holes, but I really enjoyed the experience.  I especially liked the tough choice Supes had to make and the fact that he doesn't hesitate much to make it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:20:52 PM by Harkonis » Logged
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 21, 2013, 03:12:53 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 20, 2013, 10:13:05 PM

Romy, there were no fights in NY btw, that would make it Marvel.  DC uses fake cities, they can't afford the real thing.  ninja

all I read/heard is Charlie Brown's teacher  Tongue

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 21, 2013, 10:16:10 PM »

Saw this today with my kid.  Meh.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why do all Superman movies have this amazingly powerful character foiling real estate plans?

An analysis:

Spoiler for Hiden:
First of all, I think we needed to see a moment that lead to Jonathan's paranoia.  For him to be against his son revealing who he is to the point where he not only doesn't want him to help people in danger but he even sacrifices his own goddamned life?  I don't buy that, unless you give me a strong, solid reason to do so.  Repeated mutterings about the world not being ready doesn't do it.  Frankly, apart from some minor dealings with the military, we never saw the world not being ready.  Not in any concrete way.  And in the end, not revealing himself lead to more trouble than benefits.

Jor El (though everyone called him El on Krypton, even calling Kal "son of El" so where does the Jor come from?) seemed to want him to be a shining example, a beacon of hope, etc. but that never happens, really, not on a world scale, anyway.  By the end of the movie, the military and some Daily Planet staff are the only ones who know he exists.

Basically this whole film felt like a prologue.

We still don't have "Superman" yet (didn't love that the naming happened behind the scenes, either - that seemed weak, but I'm not sure Lois coming out with it wouldn't have seemed cheesy).  We want that big crowd, "look, up in the sky" moment (though without that line, I'd imagine).

I'll watch another one, if they get to do it, because I think that will be where they should have been with this one.  I'm not really interested in that period of time where Superman isn't Superman yet.  

The ending was a nice tease for that.  The line "Welcome to the Planet" was fantastic (the kiss line was not), but I don't know that it's worth Lois knowing who he is.  I get that this works for her character.  It makes her stronger and a real reporter and all that.  I just don't know that it helps the story.

Other random thoughts:

What's with pilfering the BSG cast?

My favorite character was Zod's second in command lady.

Toby was the real hero.

General Zod looking like a living, breathing Jack Kirby illustration.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:17:43 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 22, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »

it's sounding more and more like I'll wait for blu ray on this one.

Because I can,
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: June 22, 2013, 10:09:46 AM »

The above analysis is just too much for me. I dont g to films like this to analyse and compare. i just got to be entertained.

It's like the shows that show all the stuff that is wrong like he's wearing a watch in a 1066 film. Big plot holes and why does his farther act like he does, well that's how the writeer has invisiged it and I have no problem with it. While I may not have done it that way he did and well it works ok.

It's a really enjoyable popcorn flick featuring aman who can fly and an alien invasion.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 22, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on June 22, 2013, 10:09:46 AM

The above analysis is just too much for me. I dont g to films like this to analyse and compare. i just got to be entertained.

It's like the shows that show all the stuff that is wrong like he's wearing a watch in a 1066 film. Big plot holes and why does his farther act like he does, well that's how the writeer has invisiged it and I have no problem with it. While I may not have done it that way he did and well it works ok.

It's a really enjoyable popcorn flick featuring aman who can fly and an alien invasion.

I didn't go in with the intent to analyze.  But by the end of the film, I wasn't satisfied (I also didn't believe a man could fly, but that's another issue), and so I thought about it to try to understand why.  I wanted an enjoyable popcorn flick, but didn't get it, and I'm not content to then just sit there with my mouth agape waiting for the next bit of entertainment.  I'm okay with mindless if it works.  This didn't for me.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: June 22, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »

It gets a big fat MEH from me. I wanted the movie the trailer's promised 'cause this wasn't it.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 22, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 17, 2013, 02:35:03 PM

Watched it last night. Thought it was Ok, but very flawed. Zack Snyder finally gets it right by depicting Sup as truly super-powered--the CGI fighting sequences were amazing. So was the opening sequence in Krypton.. but man, the man can not do character development to save his life. The rest of the movie feels disjointed, like it was edited with a chainsaw. Henry Cavill is super-hot as hot, but he's not given much to do and has the acting skills of a lump of wood. Michael Shannon was great as Zod. Rusell Crowe was also good as Jor-El.. but why is Jor-El all over this movie? There was too much Jor-El! The ghost of Jor-El onboard the spaceships? Bullshit! And lastly, poor Amy Adams as Lois Lane. The Sup-Lois love story is practically non-existent in this flick. It's just there because the script says they kiss at the end. Oh, well. At least, they blew shit up good.

Pretty much agree with this, though I didn't really even consider it Ok...  I thought it was a high dollar train wreck.  The crashing through the buildings thing was way over done, and there was basically no character development.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 22, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on June 22, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

It gets a big fat MEH from me. I wanted the movie the trailer's promised 'cause this wasn't it.

Seriously?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 22, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 22, 2013, 12:07:41 AM

Don't.  The epic spectacle will be lost on blu ray.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 22, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 22, 2013, 09:39:47 PM

What movie was it that you saw?

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 23, 2013, 01:44:10 AM »

Just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was outstanding.    A lot of the critics of this film break down into three categories:   A) Film snobs that expect an action oriented Bridges of Madison County or some french Cannes film every time they walk into a theater  B) fans of the original, or Christopher Reeves lovers who can't bear the idea of someone doing another Superman, and C)  people who fancy themselves amateur film critics, but really just come across as film snobs to the rest of the going public.

We finally have a good Superman.    I can't wait for the sequels.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 23, 2013, 02:19:52 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 22, 2013, 10:42:26 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on June 22, 2013, 09:39:47 PM

What movie was it that you saw?

One that I found thoroughly epic and entertaining.

It's amazing to be able to just shut the brain off and go along for the ride.  You should try it sometime.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: