http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 02:52:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Superman: Man of Steel  (Read 16912 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on December 13, 2012, 03:32:46 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 13, 2012, 02:56:20 AM

I kind of specifically indicated that zany wasn't necessary.  And Returns is not for me, either.

I'm all for a realistic Superman movie, but that's still possible without making the whole thing drip with somber gloom.

The somber, gloomy parts of the Batman trilogy are my favorite. You can say that it's because it's the fucking Batman, and this is Superman -- which is true. But a dark take on Superman is looking HOLY SHIT I SHIT MY PANTS awesome -- just as a zany take on Batman is not-quite-shitting-my-pants-but-still awesome (Adam West anyone?). Different takes on the same heroes.

That's because it's the fucking Batman.  Seriously.  However, Batman is one of the most malleable characters in comics.  He is completely open to interpretation both artistically (from classic Aparo 70's style to Moench super-pointy ears with fangs) and story-wise.  Most times they try to change Superman it just doesn't feel right.  The times where it does work, they've very specifically changed a key part of his story (he landed in Russia, he never left Krypton, etc.) and let that dictate the character change.  And those are cool for little one-offs, but they shouldn't be making wide-release movies like that.

Again, I'm still likely going to see the movie, I am just personally disappointed by what I've seen so far.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2012, 04:16:48 AM »

Decent breakdown of the trailer: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/12/14/man-of-steel-trailer-deep-dive/
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 12, 2012, 08:49:30 PM

Quote from: farley2k on December 12, 2012, 08:33:30 PM

I can't really remember any Superman stories where he does mope or feel sorry for himself so I hope the don't try to introduce that into the character.

Superman 2?

Yea he gave up his powers and went to a bar to get hammered, or was that 3?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:24:36 AM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 18, 2012, 10:22:13 AM

I can't really remember any Superman stories where he does mope or feel sorry for himself so I hope the don't try to introduce that into the character.

Superman 2?

That was 2.  But he also got laid right before that.

And he developed the ability to turn his S into expanding magical cellophane right after...

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 18, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »

Superman 2?

It was 3 where he was evil Superman and went to the bar and got hammered(and flicked the peanuts at the bottles behind the bar,LOL)...i don't remember him getting hammered after giving up his powers in Superman 2,although he did get the shit kicked out of him at that Diner

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 18, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 18, 2012, 02:07:24 PM

Superman 2?

It was 3 where he was evil Superman and went to the bar and got hammered(and flicked the peanuts at the bottles behind the bar,LOL)...i don't remember him getting hammered after giving up his powers in Superman 2,although he did get the shit kicked out of him at that Diner

I thought he had a beer at the diner after giving up his powers in 2.  I'm sure his depowered body couldn't handle alcohol...

But, yeah, that's not really getting hammered.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 18, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 18, 2012, 03:16:03 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 18, 2012, 02:07:24 PM

Superman 2?

I thought he had a beer at the diner after giving up his powers in 2.  I'm sure his depowered body couldn't handle alcohol...

But, yeah, that's not really getting hammered.
As I recall, Clark and Lois went to the diner for breakfast -- after their first "mere mortal" love tryst at the Fortress of 'tude.  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. I'm pretty sure no beer's involved, just coffee perhaps.  icon_smile

The trucker bully at the bar (who's eating eggs and sausage or something) makes some sleazy remarks about Lois, Clark gets up from their table, goes over to the bully to tell him to apologize, the bully smashes Clark in the face, sending him sprawling into a glass display etc.

The return to the diner at the end still has one of my favorite lines. "I've never seen garbage eat garbage before."  icon_smile

I'm still not sure how I feel about them digging up Superman II's villains for this. I had voted for Braniac as a new villain rather than continuing to over-use the not terribly interesting Lex Luthor or now General Zod and co.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:10:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 18, 2012, 01:36:25 PM

And he developed the ability to turn his S into expanding magical cellophane right after...

ah, the cellophane.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »

PG-13 rating

intense sequences of sci-fi violence, action and destruction, and for some language.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 24, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »

At least there's no smoking in it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »

Sex Change for Jimmy Olsen?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60514

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »

I don't have any vested interest in the Superman setting, but I'm okay with it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »

Perry White is already black, so why the hell not?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »

Den of Geek

Link has a new TV spot(nothing we haven't seen in other trailers)

The film runs for 148 minutes

and here is a new Synopsis about the film
"A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind".

Den of Geek notes that the synopsis could be word for word for Donner's version of Superman,which isn't really surprising if this is a reboot,they also say again that the Justice League movie depends on the success of Man of Steel

2 months to go!!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »

As I understand it, the big difference now -- and perhaps it's Chris Nolan's influence -- is that Supes is at least initially perceived as a walking bomb, or a "weapon of mass destruction" that needs to be arrested and controlled by government. Which does seem more realistic in today's era.

That's certainly nothing like the Donner 1978 take, or Superman II where he's seen as an ally to U.S., and Earth in general, right away.

My only concern from the trailers is it seems as ponderous and devoid of subtle humor as Superman Returns was, in critics' and many fans' eyes. I liked it at the time, even bought the DVD, but when I've seen it on TV it really has seemed as inert as many people remember it. Heck, Brandon Routh was more interesting on NBC's Chuck imho.

I'm not asking they put Chris Rock and a bunch of fart jokes in. It's just, if you watch Superman/Superman II, there was quite a bit of character-based humor in it. I think most of the comic book films I've loved (including Avengers, Captain America, most recently) thread enough humor in there in a way that gets the audience to embrace the characters before they go blow stuff up. Of course if this is really a reboot, perhaps they don't want the audience to laugh.

So I hope Snyder hasn't thrown that appealing side away, and that it's not 2 hours of Supes/Clark Kent moping about what a doggone sad thing it is to be Superman and dosh garn it why doesn't everyone just like me?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:39:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 15, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 10, 2013, 09:36:53 PM

As I understand it, the big difference now -- and perhaps it's Chris Nolan's influence -- is that Supes is at least initially perceived as a walking bomb, or a "weapon of mass destruction" that needs to be arrested and controlled by government. Which does seem more realistic in today's era.

Actually,when i saw the part in the trailer when the Soldiers had Supes in Handcuffs,firing rockets at him i thought it was because they were scared of him,didn't know what they were dealing with etc(as you say)

but this new Teaser trailer,makes me think something different now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6g2ZSuWyM4&feature=player_embedded
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Video has General Zod telling Earth to give up Superman,perhaps they are doing just that

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 15, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »

I'm okay with a serious/tragic Superman.  There's a gravitas with Superman that I think is essential to his character.  The constant fear of hurting others due to his unimaginable strength, the unerring sense of morality instilled in him by two people who embody everything that Americans would like to believe they espouse, and the isolation inherent in being from another world and not feeling like you belong.  I think developing a sense of humor about his life is something that will eventually arise as he deals with these major issues though. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2013, 02:04:03 AM »

Great third trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY&feature=player_embedded
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2013, 03:35:51 AM »

wow!

am I crazy or was there a trailer with the original superman score/theme? love that score/theme.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »

Quote from: Roman on April 17, 2013, 03:35:51 AM

wow!

am I crazy or was there a trailer with the original superman score/theme? love that score/theme.

I thought they weren't using that theme in this movie.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »

Looks great, any idea on a rating yet, hoping i can take my son to it who is 6, needs to be a 12a or better, he is superhero mad. Havent actually told him he might be too young for it yet.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »

Looks like this is going to rule,this is my most anticipated movie for 2013...I loved Zod's line "I WILL FIND HIM!!!"

Quote from: Reemul on April 17, 2013, 08:28:22 AM

Looks great, any idea on a rating yet, hoping i can take my son to it who is 6, needs to be a 12a or better, he is superhero mad. Havent actually told him he might be too young for it yet.

This link from 3 months ago says it will be PG-13(and also mentions new villains)
http://www.policymic.com/articles/24048/man-of-steel-movie-nabs-pg-13-rating-while-rumors-of-new-villains-surface

Quote from: Roman on April 17, 2013, 03:35:51 AM

wow!

There was the fan made trailer i posted last year on page 6 that i quite liked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKB-8HbDxNo&feature=youtu.be

However,if the new trailer's music is the official Superman music(and not taken from another Hans Zimmer movie)then i like it!!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »

Okay,just to be sure,yes it is part of the new Superman score
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=12901

With the release of the latest "Man of Steel" trailer, Superman fans have finally heard a small sample of what Hans Zimmer's musical score for the film will sound like. Variety asked the award-winning composer about the challenges and pitfalls of being hired to score a new Superman movie.

'The risk is to do the same thing again,' says Hans Zimmer, composer of 'Man of Steel,' one of three superhero movies in the pipeline for spring and summer. 'You take far less risk by trying something new. You still stay in the confines of certain storytelling: Yes, heroic things happen. Yes, you have to find a human element and a sense of awe. Yes, you're gonna have a bad guy. In that respect, you know what to write.'
Zimmer had already been down the comicbook road with three 'Batman' movies, but those required a dark, minimalist musical style that reflected the complex psychology of the 'Dark Knight' and the villains (Joker, Two-Face, Bane) he battled. This one - a reboot of the venerable Superman franchise, directed by Zack Snyder of '300? and 'Watchmen' fame - was different.

'If Batman is the way the world sees America, Superman is the way America sees itself,' Zimmer says. The score, he thought, should 'celebrate everything that is good about America,' and he began to focus on the heartland where Clark Kent grew up, searching for a sound palette that might be the b

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »

I dig the new theme but for sure, even this morning for some reason I was humming John Williams' original Superman theme to psyche myself up for work today.  icon_smile

Let me see if I can "dah dah dah" Williams' theme...

Dah, dahdahdaaaah, daah, daah, daah, dahdahdaaaah, DA da DAAAAAHH!
*repeat*  icon_smile

Zimmer and Nolan have a long history together, and Zimmer has previous experience trying to pick up from a franchise's previous distinct themes (Danny Elfman's Batman scores for Tim Burton's earlier Batman films).

I've definitely seen films where either critics or fans have bashed Zimmer's work as too "bash you over the head," but this is mid-June, and Superman. Bombastic seems just the right type of composer for this.  icon_smile I don't know though if too many Zimmer scores have necessarily had me humming the theme as I left the theater. I enjoyed the new trailer and the music.

Williams is just so good at that type of theme.  I thought Alan Silvestri's Captain America movie theme (2011) was also good at that. My mom was humming the theme as we left the theater.  icon_smile

Ratings-wise, on Man of Steel, I would expect a PG-13 rating if only because studios seem scared "PG" now is strictly a "kiddie film" rating. Forgetting that in the 1970s, Jaws was a PG film.  paranoid I don't expect Man of Steel to have cussing, sex or be Watchmen in content, but assuming there's a lot of comic book violence, I'd still bet on PG-13.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:56:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »

New trailer is pretty boss.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »

Yeah i saw Jaws in 1977 when i was 6 in a cinema in Cyprus, scred the crap outta me.

In the uk thats a 12a means 12 orif under with an adult so i will probably take him if wife agrees.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »

I sure hope they put this scene from the original in the script.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62066

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 03, 2013, 01:22:01 AM »

Well, now I'm back to being worried this thing is gonna suck.  Apparently

(Spoiler about something that spoils supe's story)

Spoiler for Hiden:
]Krypton does't blow up.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 03, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 03, 2013, 01:22:01 AM

Well, now I'm back to being worried this thing is gonna suck.  Apparently

Spoiler for Hiden:
]Krypton does't blow up.

I'm probably wrong, but I think that's shown in one of the trailers -- explosions all over the place. Krypton probably got blown up, but the planet didn't blow up per se, if you know what I mean?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:53 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on May 03, 2013, 02:10:47 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
]Krypton does't blow up.

I'm probably wrong, but I think that's shown in one of the trailers -- explosions all over the place. Krypton probably got blown up, but the planet didn't blow up per se, if you know what I mean?

LOL,okay you just spoiled the spoiler(i looked so i am okay,but others may not be)

In the trailer,without watching it again

Spoiler for Hiden:
wasn't the scene of Russell Crowe clutching tiny Kal-El immediately before that scene with Clark in some kind of burning structure,holding it up.....is that maybe what you are getting mixed up with?

EDIT: nope i was thinking of another trailer,just watched the third trailer again,it actually looks like Krypton is being attacked(maybe by Zod)

btw,what did Superman do to the mic in that trailer as Lois was about to say Superman?

and yeah,again ..really liking that music

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 03, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 03, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
]Krypton does't blow up.

Here's the article that caught my eye on this rumor.  I really hope it's not true as it takes away a core piece of the Superman tale. I have no issue with revamping minor things in a character's life for the current age, but some parts of a character's story I consider essential to that character.  This being one of them.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 03, 2013, 05:22:56 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
]Krypton does't blow up.

Here's the article that caught my eye on this rumor.  I really hope it's not true as it takes away a core piece of the Superman tale. I have no issue with revamping minor things in a character's life for the current age, but some parts of a character's story I consider essential to that character.  This being one of them.

Although if he's not aware that Krypton wasn't destroyed, it doesn't really change who he is, but I still see what you mean and agree with you.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »

DC already has an unexploded Krypton...it's called Daxam.

<GEEK WINNER!  BOW BEFORE ME, BITCHES!>

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »

or maybe it's Rokyn.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 03, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »

...oh you did NOT just try and steal my thunder.  Mmmhmmm?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 06, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »

new TV spot.

Quote from: hepcat on May 03, 2013, 08:18:21 PM

...oh you did NOT just try and steal my thunder.  Mmmhmmm?

no one could ever do that Thunder Thighs  icon_twisted

Because I can,
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 07, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 17, 2013, 02:50:52 PM

Ratings-wise, on Man of Steel, I would expect a PG-13 rating if only because studios seem scared "PG" now is strictly a "kiddie film" rating. Forgetting that in the 1970s, Jaws was a PG film.  paranoid I don't expect Man of Steel to have cussing, sex or be Watchmen in content, but assuming there's a lot of comic book violence, I'd still bet on PG-13.

Jaws was rated PG because there was no PG-13 rating in the 1970s.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »

New UK TV Spot
AICN warns Tongue
In a way, I regret watching this UK TV spot for the film. There are a couple of new shots in there that are just jaw-droppingly awesome. I dare you not to watch.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: