http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:51:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie]Snow White and the Huntsman  (Read 1107 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2011, 05:53:53 PM »

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY67V0wOlz8

this new take on Snow White actually looks pretty cool. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:59:04 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »

I thought it look kinda ridiculous. Is this the new trend in Hollywood?

(Location: Hollywood Pitch Meeting)

Executive: I've got it! Hear me out. We take children's stories.. and we make them hardcore-ridiculous-over-the-top-CGI-intense-mommmmyy awesome!

Fools nod in agreement.

Other executive: And after 'Red Riding Hood' and 'Snow White', we can do 'Cinderella'. She'll be a righteous poor, punk-bitch in a future megalopolis.. and the prince will have to make a huge hand-canon fit in her hand before he knows she's the one. Her righteous Tron-ified roadster has been cursed by a punk wizard.. so it turns into a pumpkin-colored 70s Pinto after midnight.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »

might be a fun matinee.  they just need to avoid the pitfalls of "tween movies".  I couldn't make it through Red Riding Hood, it was so awful.  All teen angst and plotless scenes.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:11:22 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 15, 2011, 07:04:12 PM

so it turns into a pumpkin-colored 70s Pinto after midnight.

Baysplosion!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:28:15 AM »

The more I read about this, the more interesting it's shaping up to be. Though I think Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron are going to be a bit overexposed this summer (Avengers and Prometheus respectively).

Collider posted a video of 7 new clips, including a longer look at the troll battle scene glimpsed earlier.

http://collider.com/snow-white-and-the-huntsman-movie-clips/165968/#more-165968

To appreciate it, one probably has to stop thinking of Disney's warped interpretations of the original tale as gospel. I'm not sure this movie's not just an aberration of the original tale in the other direction, but it's probably best to just throw away the Disney-fied interpretation and try to get into this as something that's more like a Tolkien take on it. The dwarves seem suspiciously more like hobbits here  icon_razz

Hemsworth is very un-Thor like in this, and it's kind of refreshing to see him leaner and more vulnerable.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:40:06 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »

Extended look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jh1fuecA2Pw#!

Color me interested...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 13, 2012, 04:28:15 AM

The more I read about this, the more interesting it's shaping up to be. Though I think Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron are going to be a bit overexposed this summer (Avengers and Prometheus respectively).

Collider posted a video of 7 new clips, including a longer look at the troll battle scene glimpsed earlier.

http://collider.com/snow-white-and-the-huntsman-movie-clips/165968/#more-165968

That actually looks pretty cool...if the lead were any other actress in the world other than Kristen "I have one single expression" Stewart.  

It amused me to see how the "forest master" scene was a complete rip-off from Princess Mononoke.  Right down to the kodama (forest spirits) and look of the stag.   icon_lol

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »

that does look interesting, but it reminds me why I skip trailers.  Way too much given away
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »

Can't say i was too impressed,but most probably because of Snow White herself not keen on Kristen Stewart at all,the trailer got better with Hemsworth and the Dwarves,but then it went back to lameland when ..
Spoiler for Hiden:
it showed Snow White in battle armour...snore off

So is Red Riding Hood shit then?,its been doing the rounds on TV here and I have been in two minds whether to watch it(Gary Oldman the only reason i may watch it)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »

Reviews are widely mixed so far. Ebert liked it more than The Avengers... who am I kidding, he likes everything more than The Avengers.  icon_razz Wash. Post trashed it, pretty much called it a turkey.

It's getting a lot of grief for not casting actual dwarves as the dwarves (they used digital FX to allow non-dwarf actors to play them instead). I don't seem to remember the Lord of the Rings movies getting grief for John Rhys-Davies as Gimli or the various non-dwarves as hobbits.

The grief is more that the script's weak, there are too many characters and too much going on, and Charlize Theron is so over the top in her performance that -- maybe like Alan Rickman in the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie 21 years ago -- she seems to be in an entirely different movie than the rest of the cast, who don't make nearly as strong an impression.

The kudos are mainly for looking good, probably to be expected from a first-time director whose background is (I think) music videos and commercials.

I might see it just out of curosity. But I get the feeling that like Cowboys and Aliens last summer, it's a gimmicky movie that tries too hard to throw everything into a cinematic blender.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »

Alan Rickman made that Robin Hood movie..  Guess I'm in the minority

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 01, 2012, 02:22:43 PM

Nope - Alan Rickman was brilliant in that movie, as in most other movies.

"Do you mind, we are just getting married!"

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 01, 2012, 02:35:05 PM

Nope - Alan Rickman was brilliant in that movie, as in most other movies.

"Do you mind, we are just getting married!"

hell yeah Alan Rickman was great in that,because of him i forgave the movie for not having Prince John and just having the Sheriff(Rickman)

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »

Movie looked great but not much substance. I did like the idea of Snow Whites army though. But ultimately a forgettable movie.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »

I saw this yesterday. Ultimately very forgettable. The Dwarves stole the show, but that's not a ringing endorsement - they just happened to be the only decent part of an otherwise pretty bad movie. Hemsworth is fine, but he isn't given too much to work with. Theron is in a similar situation. Stewart is just bad. The girl I went with was literally laughing during parts of it - and not at parts that were meant to be funny.

If Ebert thinks this was better than the Avengers, then I'm afraid that I have lost a lot of respect for Ebert.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 03:50:32 PM »

Alan Rickman made that Robin Hood movie..  Guess I'm in the minority
People need to read my comments more carefully (or just ignore them  icon_smile). That was a compliment to Alan Rickman.  icon_razz Thus my point was, that Kevin Costner Robin Hood film would've been more memorable if the whole cast got into their roles as much as Rickman did.

Instead, it just seemed like Rickman was in a different, probably better movie that wasn't peopled with American actors (Costner, Slater, etc.) struggling with their English accents and giving timid performances.

The grief is more that the script's weak, there are too many characters and too much going on, and Charlize Theron is so over the top in her performance that -- maybe like Alan Rickman in the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie 21 years ago -- she seems to be in an entirely different movie than the rest of the cast, who don't make nearly as strong an impression.
Thus, in this era of oversimplification of everything, I hereby declare Snow White and the Huntsman the New Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and Charlize Theron the new and much better looking Alan Rickman.

You're very welcome, all.  smirk

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »

Did you watch the movie yet Blackjack?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »

Universal moving forward with the sequel

Proving once and for all that fairy tales make for better source material than board games, Universal is reportedly moving ahead with a sequel to "Snow White and the Huntsman." But not "Battleship," because that film is a huge, embarrassing bomb that will be known in the future only for ending Taylor Kitsch's mercilessly short career as a viable leading man.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 05, 2012, 04:59:34 PM

Did you watch the movie yet Blackjack?
No, I'd like to catch it next weekend. As mentioned in the Prometheus thread, I had some cat sitting chores this past weekend. I made time for Prometheus Sunday just after noon. I'm sure I can make time for this next weekend, maybe a morning show.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 01:24:45 PM »

As promised, I shall endeavor to catch this today. I think about an 11 a.m. show. I'm not expecting much, but perhaps that'll work in the movie's favor.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »

Just got back. It was $6 (!) for a gloriously crisp, good old fashioned 2-D show. I should just go on strike against 3-D ticket prices. The $7.50 saved over a 3-D Prometheus showing was good for a huge supreme pizza slice (Sbarro) and a soda.  icon_cool

I quite enjoyed the film. I thought it looked and sounded tremendous, very memorable set pieces, set design and special effects. They sort of get around the PG-13 rating by having some enemies that sort of are made up of individual objects that then explode. Makes for a cool effect without needing R-rated gore for the battles. Though there is a fair amount of garrotting, stabbing, slashing and arrow piercing.  icon_smile

I do agree with most critics that Theron's performance is the best "effect" in the movie. She just really tears into her role with tremendous gusto, no matter how much special effects or prosthetics or makeup FX are on her.

I still found Stewart and Hemsworth appealing in their roles, even if they maybe feel a bit underwritten at times. They're already working on a sequel so it'll be interesting to see where those characters go. I'm not sure I really buy Stewart's transition to female knight (she gets a maybe 15-second lesson from The Huntsman on knife techniques, but that's about the extent of her training), but I found it refreshing for her to eventually want to kick butt and stop being a victim.  icon_cool There's really no time in the film for romance per se, though it seems to want to develop a Team Huntsman vs. Team Williams triangle -- perhaps the sequel will delve more into that, but I hope it doesn't get mopey about it.

You'll recognize many of the supporting cast. The guy in 300 whose poor son gets decapitated in front of him, I think he plays the friendly archduke or something here. You'll recognize Bob Hoskins (Who Framed Roger Rabbit?) and Simon Pegg's pal from "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" as dwarves.

While I guess you can be cynical and call it a mashup of many things (including LOTR: The Two Towers, Braveheart, maybe even The Fugitive at one point), I felt like it had its own charms.  icon_smile I can't speak to whether I would've responded the same way if I'd seen it in 3-D opening night for $14, though it would've maybe been fun to see it in a full theater instead of one with only about 10 people in it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:51:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: