http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:13:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie]Rise of the Planet of the Apes  (Read 3318 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:36:07 AM »

okay i am not sure if it can be called Planet of the Apes 2(or related in anyway to the Tim Burton remake),i do know the title has at one time been Planet of the Apes:Rise of the Apes,but it looks like its an actual prequel anyway(or now i come to think of it a sequel but not a direct sequel to the TB remake) icon_confused

Bubbles is pissed that Michael Jackson died

An origin story set in present day San Francisco, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

its due out this November

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318514/

it has a decent enough cast..James Franco(hold on i am getting there),Brian Cox,Tom Felton(Malfoy from Harry Potter),John Lithgow and Gollum himself Andy Serkis as Caeser(should be used to monkeying around when he was King Kong)

this is from wiki:
James Franco is set to play a scientist working on a cure for Alzheimer's by testing on apes.[3] When test subject Caesar suddenly begins to mutate rapidly, the scientist takes him home to remove him from the cruel lab doctors.

Unlike previous films in the series, the apes in the film will be created digitally using CGI technology, by Weta Digital

I can't say i was overly impressed with Tim Burtons remake especially
Spoiler for Hiden:
the 'Ape'raham Lincoln ending
it was alright nothing great but i have always like the older Apes films,even if most of them were made for TV
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:38:57 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:47:26 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 21, 2011, 04:36:07 AM

I can't say i was overly impressed with Tim Burtons remake especially
Spoiler for Hiden:
the 'Ape'raham Lincoln ending
it was alright nothing great but i have always like the older Apes films,even if most of them were made for TV

all the movies were made for the theater.  they attempted to do a TV series and a cartoon, but that was it as far as TV was concerned.  they later took some of the TV series episodes and edited them together for 'movies', but originally they were regular episodes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:32:37 AM »

oh i thought there were the 5 movies and the TV series,and say the last two movies were made for TV..that one which had the Monkey saying 'Mama' in the Circus icon_lol

I actually have the box set of Apes movies(as well as S.E of the 1st movie and Tim Burtons version) but not watched them since buying it

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »

I thought there was another thread on this, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, this is now called Rise of the Planet of the Apes (so there's no confusion).

More importantly, the trailer is out.

Here's the Quicktime link, but it's being slammed right now.

This site has an embedded version.

I have to say, I wasn't thinking much of this film, but now that I've seen the trailer, I'm definitely interested.  I think it's pretty damned dirty good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »

I'm actually kind of interested in this.     It's sort of a redo of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, where the apes overthrow the "futuristic" human society of 1991.    With it's riots,  it was by far the most violent of the original Apes films.  Recently I saw the expanded Director's cut of the movie on BluRay,  which is a good deal bloodier than what WFAA used to show on Saturday Afternoons.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 01:47:27 PM »

At first I was kind of negative on this one, but the trailers they've been releasing have actually been pretty good.  They've been slowly building up the story through them and now it doesn't come across as a cheap way to exploit the original films to me.  I may have to catch this when it's released.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »

Not to totally derail this topic but it would be funny as hell if everyone dressed up as an ape when the shuttle lands.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »

Quote from: MrZubbleWump on July 20, 2011, 02:54:00 PM

Not to totally derail this topic but it would be funny as hell if everyone dressed up as an ape when the shuttle lands.

It'd be funnier if we all just hid.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »

This movie looks much better than Tim Burton's remake of the first. It actually looks like a lot of fun.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »

After seeing a longer trailer for this in the theater yesterday, I'm a little bit more interested. The longer teaser trailer has more footage building the relationship between a man and his chimp... er, between scientist James Franco, who's trying to discover a cure for Alzheimer's disease by creating a pharmaceutical that rebuilds degenerating brain tissue/cells (that's what it sounded like at least), and his test chimpanzee. And that footage's CGI ape stuff looked more "alive" to me than in earlier trailers.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:35:24 PM »

Saw the longer trailer as well and this look great.

morlac00 on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »

yeah the trailer has been playing a lot on TV,especially on SyFy Channel,i like the Charlton Heston mirrored scene when Malfoy is hosing down Ceaser the monkey in the cages,which the monkey's in turn do to Charlton Heston in the original

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on July 20, 2011, 10:32:07 PM

This movie looks much better than Tim Burton's remake of the first. It actually looks like a lot of fun.

I feel dirty, ashamed and stupid...but for some odd reason, that's one of my guilty pleasure films.  I sneak it out of its Lawrence of Arabia case when no one's around and I rewatch it every year.   ninja

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 25, 2011, 08:02:24 PM

yeah the trailer has been playing a lot on TV,especially on SyFy Channel,i like the Charlton Heston mirrored scene when Malfoy is hosing down Ceaser the monkey in the cages,which the monkey's in turn do to Charlton Heston in the original
Yeah but does the monkey say, "Take your stinking hands off me, you damned dirty human! "  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:35:23 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 25, 2011, 08:43:37 PM

I feel dirty, ashamed and stupid...but for some odd reason, that's one of my guilty pleasure films.  I sneak it out of its Lawrence of Arabia case when no one's around and I rewatch it every year.   ninja

I never thought it was that bad and have seen it a few times.  However, this one looks fantastic but i have seen fantastic previews before and been burned.

morlac00 on PSN
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »

Quote from: morlac on July 25, 2011, 09:35:23 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 25, 2011, 08:43:37 PM

I never thought it was that bad and have seen it a few times.  However, this one looks fantastic but i have seen fantastic previews before and been burned.

Dragon Wars is my go to reference for that kind of situation.  Fantastic trailer, god awful movie. 

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »

My wife and I saw this on Friday and thought it was pretty good... Not quite sure if this will be considered a reboot or not as I don't think the origin story is quite the same as the Tim Burton remake, BUT, could "maybe" be considered a precursor to Conquest of the Planet of the Apes...
But anyway, we enjoyed it...
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »

Just got back - I thought it was pretty decent. Better than average, certainly.  It could lead to an interesting series.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »

it is getting some good press about,its at number 1 in the box office,beating those little blue buggers Tongue

it made $54million over the weekend,just a little lower than First Class opening weekend of $55.1
Though Rise was beneath Planet of the Apes (2001)'s $68.5 million ($96.5 million adjusted for ticket price inflation)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3240

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »

Man did the Burton one suck... and I even like Mark Wahlberg...
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 01:07:35 AM »

I was so turned off by the Burton version I had no desire to see this. The reviews have changed my mind.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »

Absolutely nothing to do with or at all like the Burton one.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »

So did anyone else see this?  I definitely enjoyed it, though I was hoping they would go a little further/deeper/farther into the events that lead to having a completely dominated planet of apes.  This seemed like just the teaser/opener.  One thing I have to say is this is probably the best CGI mixed with human interaction I've ever seen.  The details on the apes is pretty amazing and in all honesty the star of the movie is Andy Serkis (Gollum) as the main ape, Caesar. 

One missed opportunity:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Would have at least loved to see the apes completely bring down the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe a bit over the top but I think it would have been an awesome effects sequence and more symbolic of the apes really taking over the planet.  The way it ended it felt more like they would just go off and hide secluded in their own little area.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 08, 2011, 10:39:27 PM

Man did the Burton one suck... and I even like Mark Wahlberg...

Conversely, I absolutely loathe Wahlberg yet still enjoyed the Burton version...although as stated earlier, I'm painfully aware that it's an absolutely horrible entry in the franchise with an ending that should've caused rioting...

...wait...was this being shown in London recently as part of a film festival?

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 12, 2011, 05:19:08 PM

One missed opportunity:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Would have at least loved to see the apes completely bring down the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe a bit over the top but I think it would have been an awesome effects sequence and more symbolic of the apes really taking over the planet.  The way it ended it felt more like they would just go off and hide secluded in their own little area.

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. That is a horrible idea.
2. You did catch the part where the humans were about to be wiped off the planet by the virus, right?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:17 AM »

Quote from: kratz on August 12, 2011, 07:12:31 PM

One missed opportunity:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
2. You did catch the part where the humans were about to be wiped off the planet by the virus, right?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah of course I saw the virus strain, but that seemed to just be a setup for Contagion smile  It was still just a seed, as it can explain why humans got wiped out, but doesn't push the idea of the planet becoming overrun by super smart apes.  I'm not sure how many apes were supposed to be in the holding center but it seemed like maybe 30ish?  Let's just say it was 100 that actually got smartified, so those 100 are going to populate the whole earth?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 13, 2011, 03:46:17 AM

One missed opportunity:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah of course I saw the virus strain, but that seemed to just be a setup for Contagion smile  It was still just a seed, as it can explain why humans got wiped out, but doesn't push the idea of the planet becoming overrun by super smart apes.  I'm not sure how many apes were supposed to be in the holding center but it seemed like maybe 30ish?  Let's just say it was 100 that actually got smartified, so those 100 are going to populate the whole earth?
Spoiler for Hiden:
IIRC, Even though it was called "Planet" of the Apes, I don't think the orginal's actually established that they occupied the whole planet.... There just may have been many tribes spread out... It'snot like we even saw 1000's of Apes in the original movies, just a few hundred...
So... You have a virus that wipes out most of mankind and after many years a larger population of smart apes who are also stronger than us and you can sort of see it happening...
Although, I think I read somewhere, that this is actually a prequel/reboot, so hopefully they explain it in part 2...
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »

Saw it Saturday and thought it was quite fun.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wasn't aware that they were going to have Caesar speak as I wasn't sure how closely they were going to mirror the apes from the original films, so it was a real highlight of the film for me when he yelled, "NO!".  It was done without any warning and it made me sit bolt upright in my seat.  Very well done scene.

The apes were quite realistic as far as as CGI goes.  I was a bit disappointed in some of the climbing scenes as they appeared weightless at times (a problem I have with a lot of CGI), but all in all it's come a LONG way from the days of Blade II in which we had two cartoon characters spanking each other with cartoon sticks (love that film, but man was that a bad use of CGI).

Can't wait for the sequel now.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 15, 2011, 07:44:06 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wasn't aware that they were going to have Caesar speak as I wasn't sure how closely they were going to mirror the apes from the original films, so it was a real highlight of the film for me when he yelled, "NO!".  It was done without any warning and it made me sit bolt upright in my seat.  Very well done scene.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just because he was smart doesn't mean the chimp has the physiological capability of speech. The other big stretch was Caesar stealing the vaccine and giving it to the other monkeys so they would be smart too. Typical Hollywood corporate bashing where executives will ignore all the risks, regulations, and safety concerns to make money. What kind of Doctor makes a more virulent strain of the virus and thinks it should be airborne, this without ever doing any controlled testing except for a few chimps?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 10:24:56 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 13, 2011, 03:46:17 AM

One missed opportunity:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
They established that the enhanced capabilities are passed to offspring... plus ceasar knows where to get more of the virus... give it a couple thousand years without human intervention and what do you get?  That's the premise, anyway...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »

So is this the movie that comes after 12 Monkeys?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 03:34:11 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 15, 2011, 08:12:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just because he was smart doesn't mean the chimp has the physiological capability of speech. The other big stretch was Caesar stealing the vaccine and giving it to the other monkeys so they would be smart too. Typical Hollywood corporate bashing where executives will ignore all the risks, regulations, and safety concerns to make money. What kind of Doctor makes a more virulent strain of the virus and thinks it should be airborne, this without ever doing any controlled testing except for a few chimps?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, the reason "James Franco" made it airborne is that he realized it needed to be in order to help his father. Remember, this is really the guiding motivation of the whole film. He needs to save his dad... Caesar was just a happy "mistake"... Also, I think they established that Caesar was beyond just "smart".... Also, maybe no is just kind of easy to learn... Caesar is home, just took some practice....
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »

Wait, was that not the real James Franco?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 16, 2011, 02:47:21 PM

Wait, was that not the real James Franco?
Nope.. It was an impressionist playing james Franco, playing...uh... whatever his characters name was..... ninja
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 01:57:42 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 15, 2011, 08:12:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah, I can agree.  I also had trouble with the concept that they even invented something that could make apes smarter.  That Caesar wore a shirt and pants.  That John Lithgow's character chose the neighbor's car to get into during the meltdown scene.  And that giant apes could band together and form a militaristic force.

Then I realized something.

It's fiction.

Once it hit me that none of this was actually real, I could sit back and enjoy the film. 

slywink

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 05:14:03 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 17, 2011, 01:57:42 AM

Then I realized something.

It's fiction.

Once it hit me that none of this was actually real, I could sit back and enjoy the film. 

slywink

That's b.s. and you know it. Even within the world of fiction there are certain rules set forth. If Caesar had started flying and shooting lasers from his eyes would you say "Oh, that's some neat fiction". I had no problem with all your straw man examples because they fit within the world of Planet of the Apes. But does it make sense that a first generation chimp can all the sudden start vocalizing speech? I can get that he understands speech and can sign complex sentences, but not that he grew human level vocal cords.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »

he was second generation.   who's to say that a physiological change didn't take place while he was in the womb?  none of the first generation apes spoke, if you recall.  that's a far less stretch of the imagination than flying, laser beam emitting caesar in any case.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
They should have had him just say "home" in the end instead of "I am home" ...which is far more complex for an ape just "starting out"

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on August 17, 2011, 12:24:40 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
They should have had him just say "home" in the end instead of "I am home" ...which is far more complex for an ape just "starting out"

Spoiler for Hiden:
he actually said "Caesar is home." in response to doctor franco offering to take him home.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:46 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 17, 2011, 12:39:03 PM

Quote from: Zekester on August 17, 2011, 12:24:40 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
he actually said "Caesar is home." in response to doctor franco offering to take him home.

LOL even worse

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: