http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:20:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie]Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince impression  (Read 4553 times)
kadnod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 03:34:26 PM »

I haven't read the books, but I was also a bit disappointed in the ending. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wasn't emotially invested enough in Dubledore to care that he died, Snape's double agent mystery stuff was handled poorly and old-wizard-falling-off-something was done better in both Return of the Jedi and Fellowship of the Ring.  The drinking of the evil black soup bit was weird, too.  It was like a scene from a necromatic nursing home.

Still, I liked the movie overall.  The romantic comedy bits were well done and Malfoy was more interesting than in the previous movies.  I think I'll actually pick up the last book in the series. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. Now that I know the movie is all relationshippy, I don't have to actually go see it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on July 17, 2009, 04:14:42 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Now that I know the movie is all relationshippy, I don't have to actually go see it.

there's snogging as well, if thats more your fancy?

Anyways - saw it, loved it! Its a beautiful movie, actually, cinimatographically, if there's such a word. It was a tense, exhillariting expererince, that left me wanting more... first time in a long time that 2 hour just flew away!!

A new one
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »

What do grass snakes have to do with it?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 17, 2009, 04:40:34 PM

that's Harry's pet name for his bit and tackle.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »

you guys dont know what snogging is??  eek

A new one
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on July 17, 2009, 03:34:26 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wasn't emotially invested enough in Dubledore to care that he died
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah I thought that was weird. This is a character we've come to know in 5 movies, and his death had nearly no emotion to go with it. What a waste.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2009, 05:09:20 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 17, 2009, 04:46:33 PM

you guys dont know what snogging is??  eek

Spoiler for Hiden:
I do, I was just interested in the etymology of the word and foud it interesting that there was a Danish meaning, especially in light of you being our resident Dane.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 07:39:22 PM »

Snogging and grass snakes, oh my! Well, I understood the term "snogging," but I have absolutely no idea why - it's certainly not in my everyday vocabulary...  slywink

If you are one of the two or three folks who haven't read any Harry Potter books, I'd just say that you shouldn't judge the whole series on the first book.  It was enjoyable, but felt like it was written-for-children.  To carry on the LOTR analogy, think The Hobbit for the first book, not The Silmarillion, then read the next book.  Imo, they get better and better as you follow along.   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »

It's all those Brits you've been hanging out with.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 17, 2009, 07:50:08 PM

It's all those Brits you've been hanging out with.

You know, when I was writing that post, I figured that somehow Metallicorphan - and all of Britania - was somehow to blame - but can I blame everything on them?

Oh, sure, why not, lmao!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »

Hmm, now why would he be telling you about snogging ;-)

A new one
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 17, 2009, 08:13:14 PM

Hmm, now why would he be telling you about snogging ;-)

Ask him about "Niteowl" - our clan's resident stalker on FFXI... and something about Myto and Niteowl sitting in a tree...  icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »

I would have enjoyed the film more if I hadn't read the book. As it was, I was apparently muttering to myself through much of the film about how much they changed (as told to me by my friend's sister who was sitting next to me).

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on July 16, 2009, 04:52:15 AM

Just got back from seeing it.

The anti-climactic ending very nearly killed the entire movie for me.

The rest of the movie was pretty good, if a little disjointed. It's a 2.5 hr long movie, but it actually felt a little rushed to me, and many of the scenes didn't flow together too well. Some of it was great, much of it was touching, subtle and nice. The action scene in the middle is just confusing as hell to me. I have no idea what the point of that was. Then the ending, oy. I don't need the movie to re-enact the book scene for scene, but jesus they pooched the ending. It's just an anti-climactic bore and it should have been spectacular. This movie needed another half hour or something.

I'd have to agree with this assessment.  I felt like the movie had a split personality.  First a light-hearted, funny relationshippy one (which I felt was portrayed very well and was enjoyable to see the cast get to have a little fun and angst), and then a darker, more serious one in the final half hour or so.  The latter one I felt fell flat, and/or needed another half hour or so to do justice to.  I was expecting something a bit more epic for the conclusion, involving more of the primary characters, but it seemed rushed and cut.  And then it was just over.  Makes me a bit nervous for the last movie, because I absolutely loved the book and so much happens with ALL the characters in the big battles, I really hope they don't cut a lot out.

I keep hearing a major plot point was cut out of the book - what exactly was it?  I only read the last few chapters of Book 6.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2009, 10:54:23 PM »

I haven't seen it yet but my daughter has and she was a little disappointed with the ending but not the movie as a whole..

She did feel the ending left out too much and ended too abruptly.

With the final book scheduled for two movies I would be pretty sure that they will leave out nothing important. After all, as the final episodes it will be there last chance to get things right.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »

HBP was fantastic, and like OOTP, actually managed to be a very solid film while incorporating most of the key plot points of the book. This was also the strongest of the Potter films IMO. Action moments made sense within the context of the film and served the story, rather than the story feeling like nothing more than a vehicle to drive the players from one action scene to the next (I'm looking at you, "Goblet of Fire").

I like that the films have, for the most part, done so well at continuing to grow more mature with the aging of the characters and advancing of the story. And heck, the Yates films have both managed to dodge the biggest weakness of Rowlings's writing (her inability to write adults rather than mostly just writing charicatures(sp?) of adults).

I will always have a soft spot for these books and movies. Every time I see or read one, it makes me want to read/watch all of them all over again. biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 03:39:44 PM »

My 2 cents...

As usual, they stripped the book of most stuff and left the backbone of the story, though this time the added the romances to add some meat and substance.

Overall I enjoyed it (as most HP films, despite loving the books 10 times more, for obvious reasons), and thought Jim Broadbent took the show with his Prof. Slughorn.

Now, my 2 major complaints, and I'm sure more than one person here probably agrees with me:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. Harry was not petrified, he simply obeyed like a faithful (cowardly?) lapdog to "stay in the shadows", what the cock?, in my opinion it -totally- changes the character, unlike in the novel where he has to be deceived and restrained so his love for Dumbledore doesn't make him rush to his "rescue" and get himself killed.

2. The whole fight before/after Dumbledore's end. Self-explanatory. Just make pretend like the Order never existed....la-dee-da.

Sure, other several complaints abound, but I think, for me at least, these two where the most noteworthy of vocal complaint.

Overall, fun movie.

Can't wait to see how they cram a whole lot of stuff in the last 2 (since it's split into two parts), hope they don't blunder it much.

icon_biggrin

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »

I very much agreed with complaint #1 you had there, Duck. The second didn't bother me much, but the first really did.

Still overall a great movie, but that moment in particular was a huge misstep.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2009, 04:19:14 PM »

and, on it's second weekend out, it's estimated that HP got beat by....

G-Force?

it does seem the buzz has died down significantly.  I was thinking about going to see a movie yesterday and I forgot this was out.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:20:58 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »

Well if you would have went it wouldn't have come in 2nd!  It is all your fault.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »

We got a babysitter to go see this and it was almost worth it.  Of course this is why we hardly ever get a babysitter.  Not much is worth the cost.  Anyway the movie was actually quite good and I really enjoyed it. 

my only problem is the same one I had with the book
Spoiler for Hiden:
who cares that Snape is "the half blood prince"?  It never is the least important again as far as I can remember.  Yes the book was important for Harry to get into Slughorn's club but one would expect something really neat in the revelation.  Instead it just a toss aside thing.

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 07:13:30 PM »

Maybe I just don't remember the other movies all that well, but the dialogue is this movie was completely terrible.  Most of the time it was: one-liner, one-liner response, stare at everything awkwardly.  I don't know if it's the script or the actors or both, but it was pretty cringeworthy.  Otherwise it was a decent way to spend an afternoon.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2009, 10:17:52 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 27, 2009, 04:53:30 PM

We got a babysitter to go see this and it was almost worth it.  Of course this is why we hardly ever get a babysitter.  Not much is worth the cost.  Anyway the movie was actually quite good and I really enjoyed it. 
You guys need a babysitter to take you to movies?? icon_confused
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2009, 10:25:50 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on July 27, 2009, 07:13:30 PM

Maybe I just don't remember the other movies all that well, but the dialogue is this movie was completely terrible.  Most of the time it was: one-liner, one-liner response, stare at everything awkwardly. 

Actually, this represents my memories of being a teenager pretty well. 

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2009, 05:20:59 AM »

I went today... this and Prisoner of Azkaban are the best ones of the bunch.  I was quite happy with it after the previous two movies feeling like they were just rushing from plot point to plot point without stopping to smell the roses...

It was a bit of a bummer that some of the secondary characters were sort of marginalized, but I think overall they hit what they needed to (and what they could).  Some parts were just how I pictured them... some parts different.  I agree w/ the criticism of what happens w/ Harry and Dumbledore at the very end.

I'm a sucker for the Harry/Ginny storyline, so that didn't bother me... and could've taken some screen time from Ron's love life, imho.  All of that stuff was some needed levity since so much of the rest of it is so dark.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »

I was most disappointed in never getting to see Neville come into his own.  Both the change in the prophecy at the end of Order of the Phoenix in terms of completely omitting the "could be Harry or Neville" storyline and leaving out the final battle in Half Blood Prince both really disappointed me as I like Longbottom's character and feel that these omissions really effect the overall impact of the series.  While some story elements are secondary to the overall universe, I don't believe Neville's contributions should have been forgotten.  In the first few books he is the victim of harassment, somwhat clumsy in his spells, and he struggles to learn to defend himself in Order of the Phoenix, but in the books you learn how he could have potentially been "the one" and he is somewhat of a hero in the final battle in Half Blood Prince.

But, while I have had to cope with various disappointments throughout the series, I believe Half Blood Prince to be the best film in the series thus far.  It was very funny, emotionally impactful, mature, and exciting.  I cannot wait to see the final installment (broken in two, of course).  The films have only continued to improve and I am greatly hoping for an epic conclusion.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »

I agree with what Pete Rock says about Neville.

I also think it is a bad choice to leave out issues with the last generation at Hogsworth.... James, Lilly, and Severus especially, but Serious and Remus as well.  It seems to me that missing those sections really puts a damper on motivations and characterizations.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2009, 04:49:50 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on July 28, 2009, 03:59:56 PM

I agree with what Pete Rock says about Neville.

I also think it is a bad choice to leave out issues with the last generation at Hogsworth.... James, Lilly, and Severus especially, but Serious and Remus as well.  It seems to me that missing those sections really puts a damper on motivations and characterizations.

+1 I understand leaving some thing, but alot of those plot points should have been saved

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2009, 01:38:57 AM »

finally available on dvd/blu ray today, they actually have it as a combo pack with separate discs for both.  it definitely different than I remember, perhaps it's time to read the book again.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 06:36:27 AM »

finished it after taking a break halfway through.  IMO it's the weakest film of the bunch so far; they emotionally neutered the ending, glossed over the whole Harry/Ginny relationship (heck, they even left the break up at the end out because you never feel like they're in one) and even the deleted scenes didn't add much (I think they run for a grand total of 2 minutes).

Because I can,
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »

the books are so "large" and contain so much that there is no way that a movie could contain it all...

I didn't care much for the ending either but I think they do what they can under the time constraints they are working with.....

Making the final book into two movies is a great idea though and i am glad they are going that route......
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »

I finally watched this last night - this being the first HP movie I didn't see in the theatre - my desire to see it was a lot lower than the previous movies were. I think after the last book released, my enthusiasm for the series died down a little bit.

I'm just going to spoiler everything. Short version : I didn't enjoy it.  (Note: I loved the books and loved the first five movies)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't remember the book very well anymore, as it's been four years since I've read it. I do remember quite enjoying the book. I think a part of the problem is the atmosphere of the movie is much much different than the book was. In the movie, nothing bad really happens. Olivander's shop being blown up didn't have any real emotional impact (oh, that dude from the first movie), and the time spent at hogwarts felt pretty slow and safe. There's no sense of urgency to anything, nothing really going wrong in the outside world, so everything feels pretty safe.

Adding an action scene certainly didn't help anything. (I didn't remember it in the book and had to look it up)

The scenes with the teleportation box were just painful.

The worst scene in the book remained (Dumbledore having to drink the water made no sense then and it made no sense now. You know where the horcrux is. No one else knows you know. Why not leave it and come back later when you have another solution? Destroying it then and there is not as vital as you have other horcruxes to destroy)

And the end sequence lacked the moral uncertainty that the book had. The scene in the book was much more ambiguous and "wtf" than the movie version.

However, you've got five powerful mages in Hogwarts, and the most exciting thing you can do is kick the crap out of some silver dishes on the table and blow up a window?? And blow up Hagrid's hut? That's all you want to do? And why did it take Harry that long to catch up? It made sense in the book as he was paralyzed and under the cloak (IIRC) but why couldn't Harry catch up right away here?

Overall... the romances in the story and all the potentially good parts were just really too damn long and the payoff just wasn't good enough. The B characters weren't given enough to do (Hermoine and Ron had very little to do here. I think Filch was on screen all of ten seconds)
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2009, 09:10:10 PM »

I bought it for my son for Christmas.  We saw it in the theater and thought it was OK, but not nearly as good as the last two movies.  Note I haven't read the books.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'll echo what everyone else has said - they screwed the pooch on the Dumbledore scene at the end, which should have been much more emotional.  As for the rest of the issues, it sounds like perhaps the 2 1/2 hour movie couldn't contain everything the 500+ page book did.  Not a surprise...

Since I haven't read the book, some of the issues mentioned in this thread didn't bother me much. 

But I'd also like to see more of Neville and Luna Lovegood, whom have become my favorite characters. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »

I was just pleased to find out that the actress playing Luna is 18.  I now feel a little better about finding her cute.   icon_redface

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2009, 09:30:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 14, 2009, 09:16:28 PM

I was just pleased to find out that the actress playing Luna is 18.  I now feel a little better about finding her cute.   icon_redface

She turned 18 like 3 months ago, not while she was in the movies. Perv!

Emma Watson, on the other hand, is 19 1/2, so feel free.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2009, 10:29:29 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on December 14, 2009, 07:10:47 PM

I'm just going to spoiler everything. Short version : I didn't enjoy it.  (Note: I loved the books and loved the first five movies)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't remember the book very well anymore, as it's been four years since I've read it. I do remember quite enjoying the book. I think a part of the problem is the atmosphere of the movie is much much different than the book was. In the movie, nothing bad really happens. Olivander's shop being blown up didn't have any real emotional impact (oh, that dude from the first movie), and the time spent at hogwarts felt pretty slow and safe. There's no sense of urgency to anything, nothing really going wrong in the outside world, so everything feels pretty safe.

Spoiler for Hiden:
 That's kind of how I felt about the book and I think one of the reasons that it is one of my least favorite of the series.  
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2009, 10:43:37 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 14, 2009, 09:30:25 PM

I think the girl playing Ginny is 18 or older now too.

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2009, 10:47:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2009, 10:43:37 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 14, 2009, 09:30:25 PM

I think the girl playing Ginny is 18 or older now too.

wonderful...this thread is now home to a group of degenerates.  we are life's winners...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »

i do think this book was probably my least favorite because of (in my mind anyway) the lack i=of intelligent thought behind Dumbledore's actions......he knew what was going to happen and did it anyway........
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: