http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:27:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie]Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  (Read 6530 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 07:11:06 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on September 23, 2010, 06:55:11 PM

I need to re-read the book before that movie comes out...... nod

considering they split it into 2 parts I imagine it's going to be pretty close to the whole book.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2010, 07:11:06 PM

considering they split it into 2 parts I imagine it's going to be pretty close to the whole book.

It would be difficult for it to be close to the whole book, since the movies already screwed up the story which was presented in the books.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:35 PM »

Been trying to.  After reading some really fun stories like Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory, Deathly Hallows is a real chore to get through.  The pacing is slow, the story is convoluted, the characters continue to whine and bicker, and it just seems to take forever to resolve the overall story arch.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the Harry Potter series, but I'm now seeing why I've read prior Potter novels more than once and Deathly Hallows only once when it was released.  Normally I prefer written stories to their movie adaptations, but this is one instance when I prefer the movies to the books.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »

I do have to agree with you. I loved the series but I had trouble with the way the sixth book went and I find the whining to be a bit too much. I am looking forward to the movies though, and so that my daughter doesn't make fun of me for forgetting something I will need to re-read the book for self defense.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »

Quote from: Jiffy on June 29, 2010, 02:35:12 PM

Other than being annoyed with the 3D conversion, that looks absolutely awesome. I've enjoyed both the books and the movies.

3D?  What 3D?

Warner Bros. announced on Friday that when the first half of the final installment in the Harry Potter franchise is released on November 19, it will hit theaters and IMAX in standard 2-D, not 3-D.

"We will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window," the studio said in a statement. "Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey."

However, Harry Potter fans disappointed by the lack of 3-D wizardry in the first half of the finale should keep their chins up. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II, which hits theaters and IMAX on July 15, 2011, will be available in 2-D and 3-D.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2010, 02:20:21 AM »

No 3D? Can you say box office bomb?

Not with this film of course.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2010, 02:40:20 AM »

I'm glad it's not in fucking 3D.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 04:05:13 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on October 09, 2010, 02:40:20 AM

I'm glad it's not in fucking 3D.

yeah! I don't want to be dodging the moneyshots during the movie!

Roll Tide!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 02:51:57 AM »

less than a week to go!

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2010, 01:22:29 AM »

anyone going to a midnight showing?  I have tickets for Saturday night

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »

any impressions?

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 19, 2010, 02:17:28 PM

any impressions?

I'm going either tomorrow or Sunday.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2010, 03:20:14 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 19, 2010, 02:17:28 PM

any impressions?

I'm going either tomorrow or Sunday.

And I'm not allowed to go until my wife gets back from Korea tomorrow night.   disgust

While I could go and play it off like I haven't, I'm a shitty liar.  She'd know in a heartbeat.  I've waited this long, so what's a few more days.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »

My daughter saw it last night but I have not spoken to her yet.

The local reviewer complained about the "camping" scenes....which granted were even dull in the book. He also said he watched the movie knowing there would be one more but hoping the whole time that somehow things would conclude in this one.

I think I can understand that.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »

Think I'm seeing it tonight. I fully expect the camping stuff to suck a bit, because it certainly sucked in the book. So I'll probably give the movie a pass for that.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »

Not going to see this. I saw HBP recently and I was really disappointed with it. It was as if the director threw a bunch of random scenes together from the book with no cohesiveness between them. Seeing that the next two movies are being directed by the same person, I have no desire to see them.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2010, 02:31:51 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 20, 2010, 01:48:19 AM

Not going to see this. I saw HBP recently and I was really disappointed with it. It was as if the director threw a bunch of random scenes together from the book with no cohesiveness between them. Seeing that the next two movies are being directed by the same person, I have no desire to see them.

What about OotP?  He did that one too. 
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2010, 03:16:15 AM »

David Yates sucks as a director.  He makes Chris Columbus look exciting.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2010, 03:31:18 AM »

Saw it tonight. The movie is perhaps the most faithful to the book out of the whole series, surprisingly. There are small changes here and there but they make sense. Overall I really liked the movie. It was a LOT better than that last disappointment of a film. The actors have really grown up and carry the film nicely. This is a much more character-driven story than prior movies. It also can't rely on the enchantment of Hogwart's this time. But they somehow made it work. I really didn't expect them to.

However, this is half a movie. They say Part I and they mean it. It ends rather abruptly. It's good that it leaves you wanting more, but this is not a stand-alone movie. As such, there's little satisfaction - just the long wait for the end of the story.

6 out of 8 tentacles

Edit - Oh, and I should mention it absolutely does trudge through the middle kinda aimlessly. That's true to the book, though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:27:29 PM by cheeba » Logged
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 07:52:08 PM »

Im waiting for the inevitable blu-ray box set to come out in oh say 2012. 
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »

Nah.  They'll release the Blu-Ray of part 1 before part 2 comes out, then part 2 before Christmas next year. 

Then they'll wait another year or so before releasing the Ultimate Edition of parts 1 and 2 ($40 each).  Considering it'll be next year sometime before Ultimate 5 and 6 come out.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 01:40:40 AM »

I have not read any of the books.

I've watched all but the last movie; I went out last night to see this one not knowing what to expect.

First off: shaky cam FTL. Secondly, very little reason described at the beginning for what they were doing.

I found that teenagers are stupid, Hermoine (once again) is just about the only one who thinks.

That ain't any different from the other movies though; the camping scenes dragged on but I enjoyed the movie overall. I almost jumped out of my seat once.

Also, I had to pee the whole time. In case you were wondering.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 01:46:25 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 21, 2010, 08:13:18 PM

Nah.  They'll release the Blu-Ray of part 1 before part 2 comes out, then part 2 before Christmas next year. 

Then they'll wait another year or so before releasing the Ultimate Edition of parts 1 and 2 ($40 each).  Considering it'll be next year sometime before Ultimate 5 and 6 come out.

From Wiki:
Part 1 was released in 2D and IMAX formats on 19 November 2010, and Part 2 will be released in 2D, 3D, and IMAX formats on 15 July 2011

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »

looks like it brought in an estimated 125.1 million dollars domestically over the weekend.  I wonder how much Warner Bros. is going to miss have a guaranteed cash cow every year or so once part 2 is out.

Because I can,
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2010, 01:29:59 PM »

They'll just reboot the series.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on November 22, 2010, 01:29:59 PM

They'll just reboot the series.

With Michael Cera as Harry?
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »

This is the one of the few movies I've seen where I liked the movie better than the book. I didn't care for the last book so my expectations were not high going in. So I was surprised when I found I didn't want it to end. Definitely a dark film with few light moments. But I was digging that the actors had a wee bit more serious content to chew on. That dance scene in the tent kinda surprised me as when they started I was like "what the hell is this? This is gonna be dumb" but turned out to be sweet. 

It was a bit odd to leave on such a down note in the film too. Not a single clap from the audience when it was over.

Its hard to say where this stacks for me in ranking with the other films since it was such a different flavor than the others.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 22, 2010, 08:33:28 PM

This is the one of the few movies I've seen where I liked the movie better than the book. I didn't care for the last book so my expectations were not high going in. So I was surprised when I found I didn't want it to end. Definitely a dark film with few light moments. But I was digging that the actors had a wee bit more serious content to chew on. That dance scene in the tent kinda surprised me as when they started I was like "what the hell is this? This is gonna be dumb" but turned out to be sweet. 

It was a bit odd to leave on such a down note in the film too. Not a single clap from the audience when it was over.

Its hard to say where this stacks for me in ranking with the other films since it was such a different flavor than the others.

Uh, considering what had <just> happened minutes prior to the credits, clapping would be in very very poor taste. All 10 of us in the theater we pretty much still sniffling, even knowing what was going to happen before going in.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »

Saw this Saturday and I was pretty impressed as the movie follows the book faithfully. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Forgot that Dobby was killed.  Also, forgot about the Elder Wand twist

All is all I would give it a 6 out of 8 tentacles

NiM$
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:06:40 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on November 22, 2010, 09:13:09 PM

Quote from: ibdoomed on November 22, 2010, 08:55:30 PM

Uh, considering what had <just> happened minutes prior to the credits, clapping would be in very very poor taste. All 10 of us in the theater we pretty much still sniffling, even knowing what was going to happen before going in.

My gf hasn't read any of the books since the first couple but has been a huge fan of the movies so she had no idea what was going to happen coming into it.  She really liked the movie overall but it was pretty tough on her since:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Hedwig and Dobby were her two favorite characters (as much as the owl can be a character I suppose) in all of the movies.  She would much rather have seen Harry and Ron die than either of them.

It was rough to not be able to warn her about what was going to happen since it'd be too much of a spoiler.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Is Hedwig really dead? I don't remember, never paid that much attention to the owl, but it was such a passing moment in the movie that I wasn't sure if it really happened or she might be back later.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes, Hedgewig is dead
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:42:39 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2010, 12:45:15 AM »

i saw this last night...decent movie, but it's tough to consider it on its own given how it's purely setup for the final film and ends very abruptly.  i felt like most of the movie was more about setting the tone and establishing character personalities/motives for the big finish than telling a good story.  all of the other HP films have stood well on their own, with each telling its own story.  in Deathly Hallows, however, there was really no effort at all to make the film stand on its own, and you really do feel like you've only seen half of a movie when the credits roll.  what they did was not bad, but the whole thing was pretty uneventful for a 2.5 hours movie.  i really feel like it's hard to judge this film without seeing how they wrap it all up in Part 2 next year.  given how little plot progression actually occurred this time, i have a feeling that the final film is going to be an extremely fast-paced ride.

that said, i do have to give the trio credit for pretty much carrying the whole film and doing so pretty successfully for a group of actors who were chosen as little kids when the whole thing started.  the people behind the HP films have been pretty lucky that they wound up with kids six films later who can actually act well now that the story demands something much more serious of them.  there are some rough moments, but overall they do very well.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2010, 12:59:25 AM »

Purge, how much shaky-cam?  Excessive or only a little bit.  If it's excessive, I'm out until it makes it to DVD.  Big screens and excessive shaky-cam gives me a headache - the kind which makes a movie unwatchable.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2010, 01:37:49 AM »

Quote from: theohall on November 28, 2010, 12:59:25 AM

Purge, how much shaky-cam?  Excessive or only a little bit.  If it's excessive, I'm out until it makes it to DVD.  Big screens and excessive shaky-cam gives me a headache - the kind which makes a movie unwatchable.

it must not be very much considering that it's something that annoys me as well and i can't really remember a significant amount of it in the movie.  either that or i'm just not noticing it as much anymore given how commonly it's used these days...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 02:17:11 AM »

Saw it yesterday - felt very similar to disarm regarding how it felt incomplete. It also felt very dark and very serious compared to the other films. This is in line with the books, but it also definitely felt like the humor was used a lot more sparingly (although effective when it was) and effort was made to make this film more serious and emotional. It felt very distinctive to me when considered next to the first 6 films.

Based on some of the scenes, it was also very apparent they originally intended this film to be in 3D.

What did people think about
Spoiler for Hiden:
the scene with Harry and Hermione dancing? I need to go back because I couldn't remember that scene from the book. I thought it was a really effective scene because it started out as a very friendly gesture by Harry, then started to change in tone toward romance, and then finally ended with Hermione breaking away, showing that she loved Ron. That was definitely one of those scenes that I felt had a very distinct emotional feeling that was characteristic of this movie but not the books.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 02:21:15 AM »

I really liked the telling of the the fairy tale in the scene at the Quibbler. I thought was really well done. Movie is definitely a part 1 and was very confusing. Did a lot of wikipedia to remember story lines after and what items were the horcruxes as a refresher...it helped answer a lot I forgot
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2010, 03:58:14 AM »

You notice it in the slow scenes where it's really inappropriate.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2010, 09:15:27 AM »

Thanks, Purge.  I hate when they do that.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 28, 2010, 03:58:14 AM

Purge, how much shaky-cam?  Excessive or only a little bit.  If it's excessive, I'm out until it makes it to DVD.  Big screens and excessive shaky-cam gives me a headache - the kind which makes a movie unwatchable.

You notice it in the slow scenes where it's really inappropriate.

I actually didn't notice any shaky cam in the movie. I think there was one action scene where things got a little confusing, but otherwise I didn't notice. That doesn't mean it wasn't there, but it certainly wasn't detrimental to the movie for me.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: