http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 03:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie]Centurion  (Read 891 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:57:54 PM »

from the director of Doomsday, this is about Rome's Ninth Legion, a legion supposedly lost north of Hadrians Wall.  its due out in March 2010, can't wait since I loved Gladiator's massive battle scene.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:17 AM »

trailer.  looks pretty cool.

Because I can,
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 01:38:38 AM »

The only Roman legion to get massacred at that time was in the Teutoburg forest of Germany.

Ye Olde Farte
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on February 13, 2010, 01:38:38 AM

The only Roman legion to get massacred at that time was in the Teutoburg forest of Germany.

And DBT would know...he was one of the ones doing the slaugthering! ;-)

anyways - movie looks fine, in the same way King Arthur looked fine, but without any basis whatsoever in reality. Diehard, Roman style.

I just wish we'd get more movies like Gladiator and the series Rome

A new one
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »

Actually I believe in reincarnation and during one of my regression sessions I found out I was a Viking. I may have slaughtered your relatives or I might have been one of them. icon_wink

Ye Olde Farte
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »

I just made a few calls, and all my relatives are still alive...does that mean we are family now? ;-)

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on February 13, 2010, 01:38:38 AM

Actually this isn't correct, unless you give or take a few centuries in your definition of "at that time". Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hermann's smashing of Varus' legions at Teutoburger Wald occurred in 9 C.E., whereas Hadrians Wall wasn't completed until 130 C.E. As to other smash sessions on the Western Roman empire in that historical vicinity, the Batavian Claudius Civilas organized an army of Germanic and celtic peoples that did some seriously clever battling against Roman Legions in Gaul around 81 C.E. slywink If this movie takes place in the latter portion of the Roman occupation of Briton, there was also the Barbarian Consiparcy of 367 C.E. in which Picts, Attacotti, Scotti and Saxons slammed the legions defending Hadrians Wall, while Franks and Saxons simultaneously smashed the legions in Gaul.

I'm a big fan of ancient history -especially that of the western Europe- so I'm really looking forward to this. I just hope it isn't given the Mel Gibson like treatment for historical accuracy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:56:46 PM by kronovan » Logged
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »

I was thinking in terms of before their military started going downhill, say 200AD. They had lost battles of course but not to the forest ambush slaughter they showed in the previews.  Hadrian was their last good military emperor but the Empire was already slipping by then. And from the armor the Legionaries were wearing (in the preview) it would have been from around 100-200AD. After that they started with different armor and different tactics because of the diffusion of the army by the different races/peoples.
The red headed woman leading the battles did remind me of Boadicea tho, and she ended up losing.

Ye Olde Farte
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 13, 2010, 08:30:50 PM

I just made a few calls, and all my relatives are still alive...does that mean we are family now? ;-)

I have a brother?

Ye Olde Farte
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 01:07:30 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on February 13, 2010, 10:38:37 PM

I was thinking in terms of before their military started going downhill, say 200AD. They had lost battles of course but not to the forest ambush slaughter they showed in the previews.  Hadrian was their last good military emperor but the Empire was already slipping by then. And from the armor the Legionaries were wearing (in the preview) it would have been from around 100-200AD. After that they started with different armor and different tactics because of the diffusion of the army by the different races/peoples.
The red headed woman leading the battles did remind me of Boadicea tho, and she ended up losing.

OK cool, I understand what you're saying and yeah in that sense Teutoberger Wald was the long drawn out beginning of the end, as the Romans never did manage to occupy the kingdoms north of the Rhein from that point on. Another amazing battle I'd forgotten about was in 85 C.E. when the Romans came up against 30,000 Caledonians led by Calgacus at a site of what would later became the location of the Antonine wall - present day Scotland. I can't remember the name of the Roman general, but he must have been decent because IIRC he only had 3 legions to fight that battle.

It'd be cool if the movie was set during the time of Boudicca's revolt - think that was 60 C.E., but not 100% about that. It could get dicey for getting a film classification though if they make it historically accurate, since a number of historians now believe her daughters were likely only 11 & 12 years old when they were raped by Romans. Apart from a despicable act like that, I wouldn't mind a film in which the brutality of the Romans occupation was accurately portrayed.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »

I saw this is on Netflix instant watch now, probably will check it out over the weekend.

Because I can,
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 03:31:40 PM »

Saw this on NF a while back. Thought it was okay.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »

Currently watching Rome with the GF and having a blast, although the total lack of discipline in the roman legions are annoying the heck out of me...

Is the movie any fun if one is interested in the time period, the legions of Rome, and the series Rome?

A new one
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »

Very good movie. I love movies made in the Roman times, like Gladiator and tv shows Rome and Spartacus.

That trailer looked like a scene out of one of Rome Total War where you have to lead your troops down a valley surrounded by forest, and out of nowhere the barbarians attack and you have to try and fend them off while making it to your garrison.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »

I saw the first 19 minutes the other day, with the GF. It may have been because we've just watched Rome series, but man - this looked and felt like garbage compared to it. The initial attack on the Roman outpost, had a girl with a magic bow? She hardly drew and the arrow flew like a bullet towards it target? And the fights were...meh.

Its just an action flick I guess, but I turned off the movie after the captive centurion bravely said "I am a roman soldier, I will never talk" in his best Sylvester Stallone style.

I'll probably watch it again some day alone, but I didnt want to drag the GF through what looked really, really bad movie.

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »

If you guys enjoyed Centurion then I suggest Arn - The Knight Templar   Netflix stuck this in my queue as a recommendation and it was fairly entertaining and surprisingly historically accurate in some places, but the movie felt incomplete.  After some digging it seems that the original Norwegian 6 part miniseries was mashed into two hour movie for the US DVD release.  

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 10, 2011, 04:22:52 PM

If you guys enjoyed Centurion then I suggest Arn - The Knight Templar   Netflix stuck this in my queue as a recommendation and it was fairly entertaining and surprisingly historically accurate in some places, but the movie felt incomplete.  After some digging it seems that the original Norwegian 6 part miniseries was mashed into two hour movie for the US DVD release.  

Wow, I just watched this Saturday night and was going to mention it in the netflix recommended viewing thread. 

Yeah, it's a bit choppy but like you said, the original version is much longer (I had heard it was two, 2 1/2 hour movies though, and not a 6 part mini-series). 

Overall, I enjoyed it. 

Centurion was enjoyable as well, but more as a pure action film that just happened to be set in that time period.  There were a ton of goofy plot devices, but if you turn your brain off and watch it for what it is, it can be fun. 

The woman who played the baddie is just friggin' gorgeous, too.  what a dame.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: