http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 07:41:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] War of the Worlds  (Read 1179 times)
happydog
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »

So I watched War of the Worlds (2005) this weekend. My impressions? THE SUCK!

This movie was horrible. I just can't believe that anyone would watch this movie and think anything other than the effects were even tolerable.

Some of the big problems to me:

(SPOILERS!)

EMP. The news was explaining why the power goes out with these lightning storms. Then sure enough, everything including cell phones and cars quit when the storm comes. But then... someone has a magic camcorder at the scene. And later, the news crew has footage of the lightning itself.

The aliens are harvesting human blood, yet the first thing they do is start turning people to ash. If they have been planing this attack for millions of years, you have to assume that they were waiting for there to be enough people to harvest, right?

Speaking of which, if these machines were buried for millions of years, how could it be that they were never discovered?

How is it that the grandparents house was fine? When the mom and grandparents come out of the house, it looks like they just spent a relaxing weekend playing cards and ordering chinese food. WTF? They happen to live in the only big city that wasn't totally decimated, or what?

On and on and on.

Oh, and kill the damn son so that we can feel some sort of real emotion.

LiveTAG: happydog
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:17:09 PM »

Edit: Oh, uh, spoilers below. Thought the thread was spoiler tagged.

Quote from: "happydog"
Speaking of which, if these machines were buried for millions of years, how could it be that they were never discovered?

Those were my two biggest gripes. I wanted to see Cruise walking down the street with only his daughter at the end of the flick. The ex-wife sees this and knows instantly that the son is gone, not that the damn dude is waiting behind her, somehow managing to survive. Fucking cop-out.

But, for whatever reason, I really did enjoy the movie up until Tom and Dakoda wound up in ol' crazy man's basement.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:50:08 PM »

If you thought that movie sucked you should have seen the Sci Fi channel one here a few weeks back.It was even worse!

Ye Olde Farte
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:35:59 PM »

SPOILER :

Quote from: "Dafones"

Those were my two biggest gripes. I wanted to see Cruise walking down the street with only his daughter at the end of the flick. The ex-wife sees this and knows instantly that the son is gone, not that the damn dude is waiting behind her, somehow managing to survive. Fucking cop-out.
I didn't like that part either.  Not only was his son an unlikable brat the entire movie, but he ends up having a cheesy survival at the end.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 10:23:17 PM »

The movie was ass, pure and simple. The reveal of the first tripod was incredible, but I hated the main trio right from the start so I kept hoping all three would get smoked. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 10:51:10 PM »

I liked Cruise's character, though. He was a shitty father, a shitty person maybe, but damned if he wasn't going to do whatever he could to save the lives of his children.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 11:14:11 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I liked Cruise's character, though. He was a shitty father, a shitty person maybe, but damned if he wasn't going to do whatever he could to save the lives of his children.

That was what I liked about his character too; an ass, but a somewhat honorable one if that makes any sense.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 01:00:22 AM »

I didn't hate it, but I was hoping Spielberg would put more action into it and instead he followed the book a bit more closely.  When I heard he was making it I had visions of 'Saving Private Ryan' meets 'Independence Day' with some Indiana Jones mixed in.

I remember reading that the aliens were actually supposed to be from another dimension and not Mars, whcih would explain the Tripods not being found.  Of course that may have changed.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 01:54:28 AM »

SPOILER:

It sucked for all of the reasons cited above and how about this one-advanced Aliens plant ships below the earth's crust so they can pop up 1,000,000 years later to harvest humans for fertilizer.  Fertilizer?  Wow, they can travel the galaxy, lived for a million years but they can't make  fertilizer.  

How about this one.  This movie got a PG rating with violence, blood, death scenes and all.  Contrast that with "Touching the Void" (docu-drama about a mountaineering accident) that got an R for no other reason than the main character screaming "f*CK!" when he  injures his leg.

Saving the world one post at a time.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 02:28:07 AM »

Quote from: "helot2000"
SPOILER:

It sucked for all of the reasons cited above and how about this one-advanced Aliens plant ships below the earth's crust so they can pop up 1,000,000 years later to harvest humans for fertilizer.  Fertilizer?  Wow, they can travel the galaxy, lived for a million years but they can't make  fertilizer.  

How about this one.  This movie got a PG rating with violence, blood, death scenes and all.  Contrast that with "Touching the Void" (docu-drama about a mountaineering accident) that got an R for no other reason than the main character screaming "f*CK!" when he  injures his leg.

I think you'll be interested in this film which documents the ratings process. It's making the festival circuit right now, but the very second it hits theaters I would encourage everyone to see it. Oh, and it will likely be either NC-17 or unrated when it does so it will play in local art houses only. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 07:35:11 AM »

I thought this movie had the best use of special effects I've seen since probably The Matrix.

The rest of it sucked though.  The dealbreaker for me was definitely the son at the end.  I think I could have forgiven alot if only they hadn't gone for the sappy ending.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 04:07:49 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
If you thought that movie sucked you should have seen the Sci Fi channel one here a few weeks back.It was even worse!

The one with C.Thomas Howell?

Holy shit, that movie sucked. The camera never came off of Howell THE WHOLE FREAKING MOVIE! I mean, seriously, THE CAMERA NEVER MOVED TO SHOW ANYTHING ELSE!

What a POS.

And I agree with mostly everything said here about the '05 version, and also thought the initial "invasion" and "vaporizing" was cool.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 07:08:10 PM »

I actually enjoyed the movie, inconsisitencies aside.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »

Suck.  thats my vote.  

good special effects, poor movie.  I thought that really theonly 'bright' spot was Dakota Fanning.  I think that girlis going to have a long career as a actress.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 08:17:32 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"

The one with C.Thomas Howell?

Holy shit, that movie sucked. The camera never came off of Howell THE WHOLE FREAKING MOVIE! I mean, seriously, THE CAMERA NEVER MOVED TO SHOW ANYTHING ELSE!

What a POS.

And I agree with mostly everything said here about the '05 version, and also thought the initial "invasion" and "vaporizing" was cool.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH C. THOMAS HOWELL, EVER!!!!!

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 10:10:05 PM »

You're right.

But there was definately something wrong with that director.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 09:37:49 PM »

werd!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 02:01:25 AM »

So I watched War of the Worlds (2005) this weekend. My impressions? THE SUCK!

This movie was horrible. I just can't believe that anyone would watch this movie and think anything other than the effects were even tolerable.

Some of the big problems to me:

(SPOILERS!)

EMP. The news was explaining why the power goes out with these lightning storms. Then sure enough, everything including cell phones and cars quit when the storm comes. But then... someone has a magic camcorder at the scene. And later, the news crew has footage of the lightning itself.

I too noticed the camcorder.  I though that was a major oversight as well.  As for the camera crew...they could have shown up after the EMP blast with their gear intact.

The aliens are harvesting human blood, yet the first thing they do is start turning people to ash. If they have been planing this attack for millions of years, you have to assume that they were waiting for there to be enough people to harvest, right?

Good point.  Never thought about that.

The characters say the machines were buried millions of years.  Perhaps they weren't.  But overall, it was pretty stupid.

How is it that the grandparents house was fine? When the mom and grandparents come out of the house, it looks like they just spent a relaxing weekend playing cards and ordering chinese food. WTF? They happen to live in the only big city that wasn't totally decimated, or what?

On and on and on.

Agreed.  The whole frickin' Boston neighborhood looked fine.  And the son was a total cop-out.  It would have made for a much better ending if he remained dead.  

Overall, the movie was ok, but wasn't anything great.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: