http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:07:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Upstream Color (from the Writer/Director of Primer)  (Read 384 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:35:20 AM »

Upstream Color from writer/director/producer/actor Shane Carruth, who also made Primer.  I'm not exactly sure I can tell you what it's about, but I definitely want to find out based on his history with Primer.

Trailer Here

And if you haven't seen Primer, it's a mind-bending indie time travel movie.  Also, it's available on Netflix Instant Watch

Sandwiches do fix everything.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »

You can count me in. I'd see it in the theater if Vegas wasn't such a wasteland of film culture. Ah what I'd give for a limited release cinema.

And I also recommend Primer - and a then a week for your brain to rest as it goes 'derp'. Fantastic movie. Dang, I wanna see it again now.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

Kind of in the same vein as Primer, in a weird, mind bending way, I would recommend The Man From Earth which is also available on Netflix streaming.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »

If anyone gets the urge to check out Primer because of this thread (and if you haven't seen it, you should), do NOT read anything about it.  Just watch it.  The less you know the better it is.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

I like
Spoiler for Hiden:
time travel
as much as the next science & sci-fi geek, but the last time I watched Primer it didn't end so well. Maybe I'll give it another try and actually stay awake this time.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:53:52 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 16, 2013, 04:35:20 AM

Upstream Color from writer/director/producer/actor Shane Carruth, who also made Primer.  I'm not exactly sure I can tell you what it's about, but I definitely want to find out based on his history with Primer.

Trailer Here

And if you haven't seen Primer, it's a mind-bending indie time travel movie.  Also, it's available on Netflix Instant Watch

Interesting, I'll have to check that out.  Thanks for posting this.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:16:31 AM »

I couldn't follow Primer. After watching it I found a walkthrough online with color-coded storyline/timelines. Never got around to watching it a second time with the cheat sheet, though. I just didn't like the first viewing well enough to put the effort into trying again.

It's not spoilerish to say that Primer is an intricately-made puzzle of a movie that requires active interpretation. If you just sit back and let it wash over you, you might find (as I did) that it only intermittently makes sense. I appreciate that it's a tour-de-force of plotting if one has the patience to untangle it.

I wonder if Color will be as challenging.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »

huh, went to add Primer into my queue and found it already there.  guess I should watch it at some point.  UC looks interesting, but will be a wait for instant.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 05:46:45 AM »

One thing that surprises me is that according to IMDB Shane Carruth, the director/etc, hasn't really done anything since Primer in 2004.  I'm kind of curious what he has done in the intervening 9 years. 

Apparently he's already written another movie (Topiary) and has a third that should start shooting later this year, so whatever it was he seems to be back on track.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: