http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 10:23:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] True Grit  (Read 2736 times)
LoneStarSpur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on December 23, 2010, 04:13:43 PM

I watched True Grit last night at the AMC in Downtown Disney. Amazingly (or not) this is probably the best western movie or movie I have seen.

That's great to hear...we are going Monday. Really looking forward to it.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »

My local newspaper reviewer loved the movie (A-) and loved both Bridges and the girl who played the Hattie character. In fact he said Bridges could win another Oscar for this role.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »

that would be interesting if he did.  I wonder if the Best Actor Oscar has ever been awarded to 2 different actors for the same role.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 11:54:48 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 23, 2010, 10:02:38 PM

that would be interesting if he did.  I wonder if the Best Actor Oscar has ever been awarded to 2 different actors for the same role.

Totally different circumstance but Brando and Deniro for playing Don Corleone.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2010, 01:39:11 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 23, 2010, 11:54:48 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 23, 2010, 10:02:38 PM

Totally different circumstance but Brando and Deniro for playing Don Corleone.

Yeah I hear ya  but thats not really playing the same role, its playing the same character in a different role.   That might be as close as its come though.

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2010, 04:23:58 AM »

Saw this just now.  Great movie all around.  Storyline is simple, but effective.  Excellent acting, excellent cinematography, and the dry Coen Bros. humor is in full, and great effect.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on December 26, 2010, 04:23:58 AM

Saw this just now.  Great movie all around.  Storyline is simple, but effective.  Excellent acting, excellent cinematography, and the dry Coen Bros. humor is in full, and great effect.

Which exactly describes the original for it's period in time.  Sure, it has not held up that well, but everything described above was true of the original when it was released in 1969.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »

Watched it last night. One word to describe it: Terrific! This was the year of Jeff Bridges.. and Haylee Stanfield is some sort of phenom.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »

Seen it this afternoon. Loved it  thumbsup

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »

Loved it, although I have to admit their manner of speaking was hard to get used to. I figure the Coen Brothers loved doing it that way.

Jeff Bridges was awesome, but Haylee Stanfield...dang, I want to bring that girl with me the next time I buy a car.  icon_lol She was fantastic and should get at least an Oscar nomination out of it.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »

^ see, I felt just the opposite.....I get a kick out of hearing that manner of speaking

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »

Saw it on Christmas day with my mother.  It was a bit slower than I thought it would be from the trailers I saw before going into it, but in hindsight this is not really an action film.  It has action, but that's more a byproduct of the lives the characters lead instead of the focus.

Bridges is, of course, amazing.  There's very little that man can't do.  But as everyone is stating, the real runaway star is the girl.  She's absolutely astounding in that role.  Easy oscar win, imho. 

As for the dialog, it was exactly what I expected and wanted in a period piece.  Deadwood has spoiled me as I now expect the same attention to detail in dialog when I see a western.

Oh, and Brolin continues to be great.  I hardly recognized him as Tom Chaney at first.  His mannerisms were just the opposite of what I expected from the man himself.  His ability to change into that character so completely was great.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2010, 12:36:12 AM »

Saw it the day after Christmas and really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges was excellent as Rooster Cogburn and the story was really enjoyable. I haven't seen the original but I do love the Duke so I have nothing to compare this True Grit to. However, I have been a Coen Bros fan since Blood Simple and will defend them no matter what. Including the Hudsucker Proxy.  icon_wink

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2010, 05:38:27 AM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on December 31, 2010, 12:36:12 AM

Saw it the day after Christmas and really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges was excellent as Rooster Cogburn and the story was really enjoyable. I haven't seen the original but I do love the Duke so I have nothing to compare this True Grit to. However, I have been a Coen Bros fan since Blood Simple and will defend them no matter what. Including the Hudsucker Proxy.  icon_wink

Hudsucker Proxy is in my top 5 all time.

"You know, for kids!"
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »

I too am a big fan of the Coen brothers.  I mean really, anyone who can make Nic Cage look good has to be frikkin wizard. 
Seriously, they have made some of my favorite movies, including Fargo, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Big Lebowski,  even The Hudsucker Proxy.   Of course they are not perfect, after all they did Burn After Reading, which was barely tolerable and No Country for Old Men was good but it never did grab me the way it did a lot of people.  Still, I am looking forward to True Grit as I trust them to do it right and from the comments it seems that they have done just that.

dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 31, 2010, 02:43:51 PM

I too am a big fan of the Coen brothers.  I mean really, anyone who can make Nic Cage look good has to be frikkin wizard. 
Seriously, they have made some of my favorite movies, including Fargo, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Big Lebowski,  even The Hudsucker Proxy.   Of course they are not perfect, after all they did Burn After Reading, which was barely tolerable and No Country for Old Men was good but it never did grab me the way it did a lot of people.  Still, I am looking forward to True Grit as I trust them to do it right and from the comments it seems that they have done just that.

People seem to ignore "A Simple Man" why? Because the movie sucked? Or because nobody has seen it?
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2010, 05:49:06 PM »

I saw A Simple Man.  It just didn't grab me in any way.  Maybe because I have zero exposure to Jewish culture outside Jon Stewart?

My vision is augmented.
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on December 31, 2010, 05:49:06 PM

I saw A Simple Man.  It just didn't grab me in any way.  Maybe because I have zero exposure to Jewish culture outside Jon Stewart?

I thought from a character perspective they seemed OK but the movie was boring and pointless...isnt that the point of the Coen brothers?
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »

Quote from: dedewhale on December 31, 2010, 06:19:37 PM

Quote from: ScubaV on December 31, 2010, 05:49:06 PM

I thought from a character perspective they seemed OK but the movie was boring and pointless...isnt that the point of the Coen brothers?

Well, No Country for Old Men and True Grit certainly aren't boring or pointless.

My vision is augmented.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »

Quote from: dedewhale on December 31, 2010, 03:07:59 PM

People seem to ignore "A Simple Man" why? Because the movie sucked? Or because nobody has seen it?

Or perhaps because the Coen brother's direct "A Serious Man", not "A Simple Man".  icon_razz

For the most part, I really like Coen brother's movies. "No Country for Old Men" and "Fargo" are two of my favorite movies. But there are occasionally movies that I never got into, such as "Burn After Reading", "The Ladykillers", or "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". Still, I make it a point to see most any film that they direct.
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 31, 2010, 08:12:09 PM

Quote from: dedewhale on December 31, 2010, 03:07:59 PM

Or perhaps because the Coen brother's direct "A Serious Man", not "A Simple Man".  icon_razz

For the most part, I really like Coen brother's movies. "No Country for Old Men" and "Fargo" are two of my favorite movies. But there are occasionally movies that I never got into, such as "Burn After Reading", "The Ladykillers", or "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". Still, I make it a point to see most any film that they direct.

oops yeah...Serious Man. They not only directed, but wrote and produced that movie too
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2011, 03:13:39 AM »

Saw this with someone last night. We both thought it was a very, very fantastic movie.  nod
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »

Quote from: Malificent on December 31, 2010, 05:38:27 AM

Quote from: hispanicgamer on December 31, 2010, 12:36:12 AM

Saw it the day after Christmas and really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges was excellent as Rooster Cogburn and the story was really enjoyable. I haven't seen the original but I do love the Duke so I have nothing to compare this True Grit to. However, I have been a Coen Bros fan since Blood Simple and will defend them no matter what. Including the Hudsucker Proxy.  icon_wink

Hudsucker Proxy is in my top 5 all time.

"You know, for kids!"

Plexiglas! Had it installed last week.  icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »

I didn't realize justin bieber was in the original.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 11:21:21 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on January 31, 2011, 11:04:37 PM

I didn't realize justin bieber was in the original.

That kid is much too manly to be Justin Bieber.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »

We saw this in the theater on Sunday and then watch the original at home on Monday. A few minor spoilers follow.

John Wayne was a better Rooster Cogburn. The role just fits him naturally, whereas I couldn't shake the feeling that Jeff Bridges was playing it with a wink under that eyepatch. Wayne deserved his Oscar.

As everyone seems to agree, the kid is much better in the remake (although the one in the original wasn't bad). Kim Darby was about 20 years old and not as convincingly childish, plus girls just never had short haircuts back then so that felt wrong. Hailee Steinfeld really was 14 years old, and a better actress as well. I loved her vocabulary and manner of speech.

Glen Campbell, WTF? He wasn't as bad as one might expect, but he sure wasn't Matt Damon. Advantage: remake.

Robert Duvall as Lucky Ned Pepper...advantage: original.

Josh Brolin as Tom Chaney...advantage: remake.

I liked the darker setting of the new movie with its night scenes, snow, and more forbidding landscape. The land felt like hostile territory. I prefer the bloodless violence in the original, but that's just a matter of conventional style and personal preference, not a criticism. Movies today are just more graphic than they used to be. Paradoxically, I liked the happier ending of the original movie better (especially Lawyer J Noble Daggett's walk-on role). The 2010 ending felt like it was tacked on. I don't know which version was faithful to the book (if either).

The 2010 movie makes it clear that Mattie is the character with true grit, and that casts the movie in a fresh light. Successful remakes need to bring something new to a story, and this one sure delivered on that.

I think you'd have the Ultimate Western if it were possible to mash together the best elements of both movies.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: