http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 02:29:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] The Wolverine  (Read 5826 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »

the next Wolverine movie is going to be a stand alone film, and directed by Aronofsky.   I'm hoping it's better than the first, and that they stick to the dark tones that a proper Wolverine story has.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 17, 2010, 06:58:44 PM

the next Wolverine movie is going to be a stand alone film, and directed by Aronofsky.   I'm hoping it's better than the first, and that they stick to the dark tones that a proper Wolverine story has.

But Hugh Jackman is still Wolverine?  I don't see how you could do a 'one-off' with the same actor and not expect some type of continuity there.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 17, 2010, 07:01:09 PM

But Hugh Jackman is still Wolverine?  I don't see how you could do a 'one-off' with the same actor and not expect some type of continuity there.

The story doesn't take place immediately before or after the other? I would expect some consistency with characters, but there doesn't have to be any immediate timeline connections to the prior film.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:04:20 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 17, 2010, 07:01:09 PM

It's a comic book movie.  They threw continuity out the window years ago.  They could call it 'Ultimate Wolverine'  smile

morlac00 on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »

Eh, Jackman was wasted in that Origins movie anyway.

I wonder if this means they've abandoned the whole Avengers thing, or are just waiting on a set of good movies first then tie them in together?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 02:52:36 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 18, 2010, 09:04:41 AM

I wonder if this means they've abandoned the whole Avengers thing
It's unlikely that the movie is abandoned, or were you referring to Hugh Jackman making an appearance in it?

I'd think he'd be brought in for Avengers 2. They've got a lot going on.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 03:16:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 18, 2010, 02:52:36 PM

Quote from: Turtle on November 18, 2010, 09:04:41 AM

I wonder if this means they've abandoned the whole Avengers thing
It's unlikely that the movie is abandoned, or were you referring to Hugh Jackman making an appearance in it?

I'd think he'd be brought in for Avengers 2. They've got a lot going on.

depends on who owns the movie rights to the characters.   IIRC 20th Century Fox owns the movie rights to the X-Men so it's doubtful they'd have Wolverine in Avengers, just like Namor probably won't be in Captain America as part of the Howling Commandos because he's part of the Fantastic Four license.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »

interview with Hugh Jackman: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/02/01/hugh-jackman-to-wolverine-fans-the-planets-are-finally-aligned-to-make-a-great-movie/

GB: Well, it better be, right? I mean with that revered source material and the director of “Black Swan” and “The Wrestler” — not to mention a script by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote “The Usual Suspects” – the expectations are going to be pretty high for this one.

HJ: Right, absolutely, and Chris McQuarrie has done a script that is just phenomenal. I read a story once that said that he wrote “The Usual Suspects” in 15 days, and with this one he said to me, “I just knew what I wanted, and it came out real easy.” And he’s done an unbelievable job with it, and with Darren it’s just really exciting. I’m as excited as anybody to see what we come up with. I know we’re going to be met with huge expectations. The expectations will be high, but he’s one of the great filmmakers out there. I worked with him before [on "The Fountain"], and I knew as soon as I met him that he should be doing movies like this. He’s been looking a long time, and I’ve asked him to do other ones, and this time it worked out. I’m beyond thrilled.

well that's good news, the writer wrote The Usual Suspects.  but it's also bad, it's the same guy who worked on the screenplay for that badly animated wood movie The Tourist.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 03, 2011, 01:05:01 AM

well that's good news, the writer wrote The Usual Suspects.  but it's also bad, it's the same guy who worked on the screenplay for that badly animated wood movie The Tourist.

aren't you just jumping on the bandwagon there? icon_wink

i still need to see the first wolverine movie again,first time i saw it was a bootleg,good copy but the special effects hadn't been completed so wolverines claws were always cardboard addons on HJs hands and the wires were still added as well as animated planes etc...it was quite interesting to watch actually from another point of view
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:25:57 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »

I dont think bootleg pirates of anything is a good idea to talk about, or rather, to admit to having - GT thrives on maintaining the good relationship with publishers, some of whom are movie publishers as well. Just a thought.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »

I agree,and i am not promoting it or anything just saying it was interesting to see the film without the special effects,it also gave more appreciation for how many special effects the film actually has,Wolverine was my first bootleg i can remember seeing since ET..i myself would rather have official DVDs,FWIW-i watched Wolverine at a friends house

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

What actor, or director, or really anyone involved in a film says "yeah the story it pretty stupid, the special effects are crap.  I really hate working on this"?

It is great that Hugh is excited and that he thinks the movie will be great but Jennifer Aniston thought that before The Bounty Hunter came out and it was nominated as one of the worst films of the year. 

Based on the crap which was the first Wolverine movie they have to prove it is good by actually making something good, not just talking about how good it will be. 

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 06:04:31 PM »

Aronofsky's out

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »

And with that, any chance this movie had of being good is out the door.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 06:17:52 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on March 17, 2011, 06:09:44 PM

the script is supposedly quite good, so if they grab a budding guillermo del toro or zack snyder, someone who is also a geek as well as a good filmmaker, it could still work.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 17, 2011, 06:17:52 PM

the script is supposedly quite good, so if they grab a budding guillermo del toro or zack snyder, someone who is also a geek as well as a good filmmaker, it could still work.

I think both of those are going to be too busy for the timetable they probably have in mind.  Zack has Supes and del Toro keeps on hinting at Mountains.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2011, 06:24:02 PM

I think both of those are going to be too busy for the timetable they probably have in mind.  Zack has Supes and del Toro keeps on hinting at Mountains.

that's why i said "a budding...".

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 17, 2011, 06:29:19 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2011, 06:24:02 PM

that's why i said "a budding...".
no you didn't  paranoid

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »

i can only imagine how much fun a del toro Superman movie would be, though.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 06:38:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 17, 2011, 06:34:25 PM

i can only imagine how much fun a del toro Superman movie would be, though.

if anyone could pull off a great Darkseid and Apokolips story he could.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »

You "can only imagine" because he ain't actually doing one. Tongue

Keep your fantasies in your pants man - it's got the most space since no one else keeps theirs in yours. slywink
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:44:24 PM by Purge » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »

Lets keep in mind Darren has yet to make a "blockbuster genre" film. I don't know that he's even made a film that could be constituted as action, or a thriller. That doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't -- Peter Jackson directed a bunch of grisly horror films before LOTR; Jon Favreau had nothing in his filmography to suggest he'd be a good pick for Iron Man. etc. etc. "Memento" and "Insomnia" (Christopher Nolan) didn't scream Batman pedigree to most people in 2005.

While Aranofsky does compelling, often strange stuff, I don't know if the guy behind Black Swan, The Wrestler, Requiem for a Dream and the completely inscrutable "Pi" (I rented that on DVD years ago and gave up about a half hour into it -- I couldn't make any sense of it at all) is really even someone you want directing your tentpole comic book hero movie. You might end up with a very bizarre Wolverine film, maybe even a worthy one, that nobody wanted to go pay 10 bucks to see. Maybe parents and kids would run out of the film screaming.  Bring your own!

If they hire a hack like Brett Ratner, than sure I'll roll my eyes like everyone else. It just ain't like an "auteur" like Aranofsky was, guaranteed, going to make a Wolverine film with any mass appeal or charm, or even be a film that anyone could even understand. I'm sure it would've been very strange and weird though, with Wolverine battling overweight wrestlers, murderous lesbian ballet dancers, out of control drug addicts and 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937 (Pi). Whew! icon_eek

At this point, Darren is a giant "maybe." Maybe he could make an intriguing Batman film down the road, maybe he would've done something great with Batman: Year One, or Spider-Man, maybe he could've made a compelling Wolverine film. Maybe he's really not into making super hero movies, and that's why all these possibilities don't work out with him. I don't think him moving on dooms the film unless the studio turns around and makes a rushed, bad choice.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:14:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »

All you have to do is look at Ang Lee's The Hulk to realize that perhaps a director of that ilk may perhaps overthink it.

Bring on Uwe!!
* Purge flees

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 03:22:15 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 17, 2011, 07:12:11 PM

I don't think him moving on dooms the film unless the studio turns around and makes a rushed, bad choice.

Yeah, odds are it will turn out fine. Just look how great things turned out when Bryan Singer left the X-Men franchise!

Oh wait...

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 04:08:47 AM »

I agree to a point. However, "The Fountain" was supposed to be a big-budget epic in the neighborhood of $50 million dollars until the studio backed off and he had to scale it back. He certainly knows how to make fight scenes feel real and visceral (see "The Wrestler"). He knows how to get amazing acting out of Hugh Jackman (also "The Fountain") and knows his way around tortured characters ("Requiem For A Dream", "Black Swan"). He's also done pretty straightforward scripts ("The Wrestler" again)

Are his movies usually pretty confusing? Well, kind of. However, judging Aranofsky on "Pi" is like judging Nolan on "Following." They were first movies where they were still gathering their footing. He would have done a good job. Now? I hope it turns out well because I love Wolverine and I love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Heck, I even kind of liked the Wolverine movie. I'm not holding my breath, though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 17, 2011, 07:14:37 PM

Bring on Uwe!!
* Purge flees

it couldn't be any worse than the last Wolverine film  icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »

well they have a release date:  7-26-13.  James Mangold directing, Christopher McQuarrie and Mark Bomback scripting.  Silver Samurai is the big bad.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 02:48:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 08, 2012, 12:19:56 AM

well they have a release date:  7-26-13.  James Mangold directing, Christopher McQuarrie and Mark Bomback scripting.  Silver Samurai is the big bad.

Are they still bringing in Natalie Portman as the Black Swan?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »

How cool would it be to go through life with a last name like "Mangold".  The only way it could be cooler is if his first name and middle initial was "I. AM".

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 08, 2012, 12:19:56 AM

(PR yawwwns)

Effectively off my radar. Why are they even bothering with a sequel at this point? They let the ball drop.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »

First official image:

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »

He looks pretty shredded, but seems to have lost a lot of bulk, sort of like Stallone in Rambo II. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »

glad its still on,as i hadn't heard anything about this

I am happy it has his Japanese travels,as that is an area of the Wolverine story that i am not familiar with

Quote from: McNutt on September 24, 2012, 04:39:23 PM

He looks pretty shredded, but seems to have lost a lot of bulk, sort of like Stallone in Rambo II. 

yup,he made his first appearance as Wolverine nearly 13 years ago so its good to see him still looking good in a role that effectively is not meant to age,especially as this is another 'prequel' of sorts

so this is ignoring the first Wolverine movie,will it show how he 'became' again?

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »

No, this is a direct sequel to Origins: Wolverine and drops him off in Japan.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

Really?  I had heard at one point that there were going to act as if Origins never happened.   icon_confused

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 08:31:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 24, 2012, 07:32:13 PM

Really?  I had heard at one point that there were going to act as if Origins never happened.   icon_confused

Yeah same here,or at least i was going off what CK said in the OP,that it was a stand alone film

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 24, 2012, 08:31:18 PM

Quote from: hepcat on September 24, 2012, 07:32:13 PM

Yeah same here,or at least i was going off what CK said in the OP,that it was a stand alone film

they're saying that other than Wolverine the is no picking up of anything from Origin, but the only time I've seen them mention throwing out Origin is where Deadpool is concerned.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »

And thank god for that.  If Ryan Reynolds never portrays another superhero again, it'll be too soon. 

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »

Although Reynolds WOULD be a good Deadpool, I think. He likes the character, and he could pull off "wacky badass" reasonably well, I think.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on September 25, 2012, 04:19:37 PM

Although Reynolds WOULD be a good Deadpool, I think. He likes the character, and he could pull off "wacky badass" reasonably well, I think.

The only thing Ryan Reynolds can pull off is "snarky and annoying smart ass who thinks he's funny but really just irritates the hell out of everyone".  Case in point:  Green Lantern. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: