http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] The Raid 2: Berandal  (Read 496 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »

Looks like more brutal beatdowns in this first trailer.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »

looks cool, but I have to wonder if the name was inspired by 'Marathon 2: Durandal' slywink

(I know, Berandal is the name of the movie overseas)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »

I can't tell if any... well if the surviving characters from The Raid are in this, or if there's no story relationship between the two at all.

The U.S. remake of the raid still seems nowhere, with a couple Battleship writer hacks hired to work on a script. Since The Raid had no discernible script (but was great fun in spite of that), that seems like a waste of time imho  icon_razz
http://screenrant.com/raid-redemption-american-remake-writers-battleship/

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »

3-28-2014 release date.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:28:33 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 07, 2013, 02:51:27 AM

I can't tell if any... well if the surviving characters from The Raid are in this, or if there's no story relationship between the two at all.

The U.S. remake of the raid still seems nowhere, with a couple Battleship writer hacks hired to work on a script. Since The Raid had no discernible script (but was great fun in spite of that), that seems like a waste of time imho  icon_razz
http://screenrant.com/raid-redemption-american-remake-writers-battleship/

Raid US version see Dredd... less hand to hand fighting with more bullets instead

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 12:14:02 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 07, 2013, 02:51:27 AM

It seems moot to me, because Mad Dog got killed in the 1st and can't return in this. frown
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »

I think the ....
Spoiler for Hiden:
rookie cop who ends up being a whirling Ghinsu knife chop socky expert in The Raid does again lead in the sequel, this time
battling corruption in the police department.

Just a spoiler if this thread makes one curious about the first film.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:06:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »

I read this is almost 2 1/2 hours long, whereas the first movie was about 1 hr 41 minutes.

I hope it's not going to suffer from sequel bloat.   paranoid icon_smile

Latest still I've seen shows some female character using a pair of bloody hammers in a subway train battle against a.... erm, not sure...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:27:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »

International Trailer

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »

Impressions from Sundance by the Firstshowing.net folks

In this vibrant and ever-expanding world of cinema, it's rare that we ever get to experience something truly incredible in its concept and execution, something so amazing that it pushes an entire genre to new heights. That happened at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival on Tuesday night, as Gareth Evans' premiered his 2-1/2 hour sequel The Raid 2, and I believe he's pulled off something akin to The Dark Knight of action movies. It is a sequel that is much bigger, more ambitious, and considerably more epic in scope than the first, yet exceeds all expectations and achieves levels of legend in terms of martial arts action intertwined with story.

In my years of writing about cinema, it's only every so often that I get to experience something as historic as the screening that I sat through at Sundance on Tuesday. It will be an event of legend in years to come, for reasons that go beyond just the film itself. The cut of The Raid 2 that Gareth Evans screened at Sundance was a freshly finished 148-minute version that the MPAA has not had a chance to look at, meaning it was as brutal, relentless and insanely violent as it could possibly be. This film isn't for everyone, and I heard about many walk-outs from people who just couldn't handle the "disgusting" level of violence. But for those that can sit through this, it's an experience unlike any before, perhaps one of the best action movies ever made.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »

icon_eek

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »

Collider posted a review. While their Matt Goldbert loves the action and gives it an A-, he did find it trying a bit too hard to cram in more story and characters, to the point that the lone good guy (Rama, the cop hero of the first film) often gets lost in the shuffle in favor of mass scale battles between characters you barely know.

NOTE: imho his review gets into too much plot, scene detail. If that sounds spoiler-ish, you might prefer to just read the recap I pasted in below.  paranoid icon_smile

http://collider.com/the-raid-2-review/
The Raid 2 subscribes to the sequel school of “Bigger Is Better”, and since the action in the first movie could already be described as “insane”, “more insane” isn’t a great description.  Evans has far surpassed the original in terms of action, and his attempt to match the scope of the sequel’s story with the size of the set pieces is admirable, although it ultimately ends up becoming a distraction.  However, that’s a minor complaint because while I can point out the story’s shortcomings, I can’t deny the film’s pure, visceral impact.  It’s been over two hours since I saw The Raid 2, and my blood is still pumping and my nerves are still vibrating.

Rating: A-
Now mind you, Roger Ebert as I recall gave The Raid one star and basically called it a sickeningly violent movie. I considered it a sickeningly fun violent movie. So you know, razor's edge difference. You probably already know if a sequel to a movie like that would appeal to you or not.  icon_biggrin

I'm eager to see it. I hope I don't need to go into D.C. to see it this time but would be happy to make a subway trip to see it again if I need to.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »

After reading more reviews from Sundance, it's pretty apparent the film in its current state is a "hard" NC-17 movie simply for over the top gore, including the occasional imploding head  paranoid. It sounds very unlikely it can get North American distribution unless it's carved down into a hard R instead. Yeah, MPAA sucks, but it's what distributors have to work with.

I'd like to see it get wider distribution than the first film here, which as I remember it never really got a wide release here in the U.S. I hadda see it at an art house type place in Washington DC and it hardly got out to The Burbs at all.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:42 PM »

The 1st film didn't get a screening in my city and I have no expectation of this making the silver screen either. I was mildly surprised when the 1st made it to Netflix. This sounds very promising and I'll almost certainly buy the BRD.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »

According to Fandango, this has a peculiar Tuesday release date in the U.S., on March 18. Mark your calendar.  icon_cool

If some else already mentioned that, consider it a reminder  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: