http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 08:27:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] The Night Stalker  (Read 456 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »

starring Jonny Depp as Kolchak, with Edgar Wright directing.  no writer has been set.  Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz have both grown on me, and I loved the Scott Pilgrim movie, plus I love almost anything with Depp in it so I'm IN.

that said, it seems like Depp is getting in on a lot of remakes lately-  as Barnabas Collins, Tonto and now Kolchak.  I wonder if he's intentionally looking for revivals like those or if it is just the ideas for them have been better than anything original.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:16:31 AM »

This has been rumored for a while.  I doubt it will get made though.  I wish it would.  The original night stalker was absolutely great.  They tried to reboot it on tv but they sucked every ounce of Kolchak's humor out of it.  Kolchak has to be a put upon schlub with very little common sense and tons of goofy charm for it to work.  I think depp could pull it off if they gave him a chance.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:22:35 AM »

Is Depp going to remake all of Curtis' stuff?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:39 AM »

I would love to see this get done.  The Night Stalker is one of my favorite childhood movies.  Darrin Mc Gavin had a fantastic wry/deadpan delivery that the recent TV attempt completely ignored and instead tried to remake Kolchak  into a new verison of the X-Files.  As mentioned by Hepcat, they sucked the fun out of it.   I think Depp could do a great Kolchak.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »

Also, the series was created by the great Richard Matheson.  I hope they solicit his input if they do get serious about it. 

The original series has pretty sad special effects due to the low budget and the period of time in which it was made, but man could they write dialog...

Mel: A reporter...oh, like the Fifth Column.

Keep that level of genius in the movie and they'll make a lot of us Kolchak fans happy.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »

Good lord, he's still alive?!  Love Matheson.

I just did an IMDB check, and it turns out he wrote the story that was the basis for Real Steel, too.

As for Depp, don't forget to add Willy Wonka to the childhood memories revival list.

I hope Night Stalker doesn't immediately follow Dark Shadows, but I would be very excited to see it.  Especially with Wright involved.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:41:49 PM »

The number of tv shows and movies based on Matheson's work is astounding.  The only problem is that they rarely make faithful adaptations of his work...see I Am Legend for a perfectly awful one.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »

Although my brother loved Kolchak as kids (the maligned TV series as well as the two initial, much better made-for-TV movies put together by Dan Curtis), when I watched it on DVD a few years back it was boring, dull and tedious. I couldn't sit through a single episode even all the way through.

But again, I ask, who is begging for a remake of this? Who was begging for terrible takes on Starsky and Hutch, and Dukes of Hazard, and soon 21 Jump Street? Who? What a constant waste of time and money and energy Hollywood spends on remakes that have no point and that nobody out there is demanding. Here's an idea, Hollywood scribes -- come up with an original idea and stop picking through the tombstones and garbage for leftovers.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »

Sorry blackjack, but your post is chock full of wrong.   icon_wink

There were actually two tv series.  The one most of us hate from a few years ago and the classic, much loved Darren McGavin version from the 70's that was based on the two tv movies from the same time period.  I'm not sure which one you're considering the "much maligned" version as the McGavin run is far from that and has many, many fans to this day (enough so that it's received a bad tv remake AND is being considered for a movie revival).

I own the McGavin complete run on dvd and I rewatch them every few years.  The special effects, as I mentioned earlier, haven't aged well. But the witty dialog, great humor and the overall charm of Kolchak make up for any failings in that department.  It's not garbage and it's definitely not tedious and dull.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:36:21 PM by hepcat » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 23, 2012, 05:32:32 PM

Sorry blackjack, but your post is chock full of wrong.   icon_wink

There were actually two tv series.  The one most of us hate from a few years ago and the classic, much loved Darren McGavin version from the 70's that was based on the two tv movies from the same time period.  I'm not sure which one you're considering the "much maligned" version as the McGavin run is far from that and has many, many fans to this day (enough so that it's received a bad tv remake AND is being considered for a movie revival).

I own the McGavin complete run on dvd and I rewatch them every few years.  The special effects, as I mentioned earlier, haven't aged well. But the witty dialog, great humor and the overall charm of Kolchak make up for any failings in that department.  It's not garbage and it's definitely not tedious and dull.

It's on Netflix streaming for anyone wanting to give it a go.

Between this and ATB dumping on Robocop, I feel like we're through the looking glass here, people.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »

Kids today only want robots that turn into cars and people filming themselves watching a door open by itself I tell ya... icon_razz

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 23, 2012, 06:39:58 PM

Kids today only want robots that turn into cars and people filming themselves watching a door open by itself I tell ya... icon_razz

Well, now you've gone and cursed this Night Stalker movie into being found footage.  Thanks a lot, hep!

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »

Worse, it'll be like The Ring.  It'll be Kolchak watching found footage.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 25, 2012, 06:30:09 PM

Worse, it'll be like The Ring.  It'll be Kolchak watching found footage.

in 3D shakey cam.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »

I watched the first episode of Kolchak the other night (not the movies), and it holds up really well.  It's the 70s, of course, and the film quality isn't great, but it's pretty good storytelling and not your typical fare at all.  The mixture of comedy and horror is unique in its tone and a lot of fun.

I think the biggest issue I can see someone having is with McGavin's acting style.  He's a bit hammy.  Okay, he's really, really hammy.  But consistently and entertainingly.  He's almost Shatneresque in his inexplicable charm.

EDIT:  I just started the second episode, and it's written by David Chase!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:57:27 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

There were some great writers working on Night Stalker, that's for sure. 

One thing they need to make sure is kept in any movie remake is the relationship between Kolchak and Vincenzo, his editor.  It was pure gold whenever those two shared a screen.

For anyone interested in some backstory to the original show.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: