http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:03:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] The Hangover Part II  (Read 1706 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2011, 05:15:44 AM »

Quote from: Purge on May 28, 2011, 05:05:40 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 26, 2011, 03:25:05 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2011, 03:17:36 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 26, 2011, 12:44:36 AM

I actually enjoyed the trailer to the first movie more than I did the actual movie.  I think all the parts I actually laughed at were in it and I can just save myself the time by firing the trailer up again.

This from the man who praised Vampires Suck.

actually I was praising the previous movie.

Words I thought I'd never utter:

"CeeKay is right" - he was referring to the Ninth Gate (as I posted extra pics).

That reality boat has already sailed.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 27, 2011, 09:00:54 PM

On vacation in Indian Shores, Florida, and caught a show last night following dinner at The Columbia (dinner included a pitcher of mojito and prior to that a number of $2 martinis were enjoyed at a local bar in the Ybor District - espresso martinis FTW).  The film was merely "okay".  It had its moments, it was funny at times, but overall the story was very fast-paced, little received any resolution, and overall like other sequels it simply didn't measure up to the humor or unexpectedness of the original.  Even despite the heavy drinking prior. 

I would sum it up with "it was okay."  That's about it.  The photos during the credits were funny but brief, the dialog was okay, the situations were okay, the resolution of the general story was okay, and the humor was okay.  I understand that movies rarely live up to their predecessor, and the sequel wouldn't have the shock factor or unexpectedness of the first, but it didn't even live up to low expectations.  It was average at best, and an overall disappointment even when not expecting much. 

I would have rather either gone back to the $2 martini bar or remained at The Columbia to continue enjoying the time we were having amongst friends.

Almost went to see it last night. Read the bad reviews at RottenTomatoes and changed my mind. Looks like I made the right call. I'm saving my sheckles for, perhaps, 'Kung Fu Panda 2'.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 28, 2011, 04:05:19 PM

I'm saving my sheckles for, perhaps, 'Kung Fu Panda 2'.

that's at 79% critic/ 87% audience right now, but TH2 has 94% audience (only 35% critic though).  still, public opinion on the net needs a big grain of salt, some people could be 5 starring it just to be fucktards, and vice versa with 1 stars.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:48:50 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »

I don't understand why people here keep going to theaters to watch movies, especially non-landmark movies like The Hangover or Kung Fu Panda 2.

I mean, for two people it's $20 to watch a movie in the theater, versus waiting a few months, then watching it with 2 or more people for $1.

The last time I went to a theater was to watch Avatar in 3D.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2011, 10:39:52 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on May 28, 2011, 10:02:06 PM

I don't understand why people here keep going to theaters to watch movies, especially non-landmark movies like The Hangover or Kung Fu Panda 2.

I mean, for two people it's $20 to watch a movie in the theater, versus waiting a few months, then watching it with 2 or more people for $1.

A) You clearly don't have kids.  The "Get out of th house' factor is huge.

B) The first Hangover was a little landmarky in the sense that word of mouth was getting people to see it before they missed out on the conversations.  I think that's a driving force of most movies in the theater, but comedy (and it's flip side, horror) work better with a crowd.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »

LOL, turns out I may be seeing this tomorrow after all.  Just got invited to a beer tasting with the movie happening right after.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 12:18:43 AM »

Well..., You Know, That's just, like...,Your Opinion Man

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 01:25:06 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 29, 2011, 12:18:43 AM

Well..., You Know, That's just, like...,Your Opinion Man

+1

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 01:26:54 AM »

I thought Kato was The Man.  now ravenvii is The Man?  or are they both The Man, sharing the Man's bit and tackle?

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 02:03:26 AM »

its more of the same and that's a good thing in my book.   I really enjoyed the movie and judging by the laughs in the theater I wasn't the only one.  It will be a good addition to my DVD collection when it is released in a few months

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 03:04:03 PM »

We know one of the writers -- met him and his wife when our kids were in the same play group -- and last night he got together about 20 friends, went out for Mexican food, and then watched the movie together, and more drinks afterwards.  I was a little buzzed (4 margaritas) but I think I enjoyed it.  The writer was outside waiting for the Saturday numbers to come in and cackling. 

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »

Saw it last night, and doubled over laughing more than a handful of times. While it was EXACTLY the same as the first one, that does not mean it was a bad movie. Like Soulchilde said, I wasn't the only one that enjoyed it judging from the laughter from the rest of the audience.

It wasn't as refreshing as the first, because with that one the audience was learning everything that happened the night before along with the characters. With the second one, it was as if you were constantly one step ahead of the (wolf) pack.

3.5/5
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 11:18:57 PM »

Just got back from seeing this, and I have to say it was light years better than the first movie. Maybe it was because of the beer from the beer tasting having 10-20 ABVbut everyone was really into it.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 11:43:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 29, 2011, 11:18:57 PM

Just got back from seeing this, and I have to say it was light years better than the first movie. Maybe it was because of the beer from the beer tasting having 10-20 ABVbut everyone was really into it.

I just got back from seeing it as well.  No way would I say it was light years better than the first, but it was definitely a lot of fun, and pretty much along what I'd hoped for and expected.  I was laughing a lot when other people weren't (much like the first movie), but all in all I'd say there were still less laughs than the first.  Bear in mind this is coming from someone who's seen the original 2-3 times fully, plus scenes from it tons more times on cable.  So I'm definitely a fan.  It will be interesting for me to see how this one holds up in repeated viewings, particularly if it has enough "moments" that I want to rewatch like I do with the first. 

Clearly when you go in with such high expectations, it's going to be hard to satisfy, particularly since this isn't a sci-fi/fantasy movie where you can simply top yourself with effects.  The thing that made the first movie so special was just how it continued to surprise you one moment after the other.  Here in the second one, that's kind of lost (or even forced at times), and it's much harder to recapture the "freshness" of the original idea.  The other problem is the previews really gave away way too many of the key images and fun moments, which I suppose just can't be helped in this day and age.  I really wish I could have had the discipline to ignore every single preview and just go in and watch it cold.  A lot of the "moments" I would have had with the second movie I already experienced during the preview phase, so it's kind of unfair.  The first one I really had zero expectations going in so it was just a complete blast from start to finish.  What the second one does have going for it is that the core characters are already established, so they can make use of the history from the first, and I felt they did a great job with that.  The chemistry between the wolfpack is just outstanding and at this point I'd probably have a good time just watching the guys sit around and ad lib; Zach G is just crazy funny and I've always been a big fan of both Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms.

All in all a fun sequel for a movie that really seemed like a one-shot deal.  I heard they are already pushing for a third given how successful this is.  Since Zach's character isn't married yet, I could totally see one more being possible...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2011, 03:57:36 AM »

man, what a load of bull

Quote from: rittchard on May 29, 2011, 11:43:17 PM

All in all a fun sequel for a movie that really seemed like a one-shot deal.  I heard they are already pushing for a third given how successful this is.  Since Zach's character isn't married yet, I could totally see one more being possible...

hey, Ed helms character was married during the first one and that didn't work out, who says this one will? icon_twisted

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2011, 04:44:59 PM »

Saw this last night and thought it was ok.  I think some of the best stuff were the pictures from the cell phone in the credits.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 10, 2011, 03:57:36 AM

man, what a load of bull

Quote from: rittchard on May 29, 2011, 11:43:17 PM

hey, Ed helms character was married during the first one and that didn't work out, who says this one will? icon_twisted

Update from 6 months ago : they settled.

I haven't seen this one yet.

Recommendations for / against?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2011, 05:58:48 PM »

I thought it was a bad attempt at copying everything funny in the first movie.  It was extra raunchy and fell flat to me.  I liked the first one but hated the second one. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: