http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] The Decent  (Read 1726 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2006, 07:57:59 AM »

Rotten Tomatoes is tracking at 90% with 40 reviews logged.  
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1153567-the_descent/

I'm planning on going to see the movie on Monday.  Anyone else?

On a related note, wtf:

"Neil Marshall's creepfest may see more feminist deconstruction than the original Alien, contemplation the film's unthinkingly slick surface invites but doesn't merit."

Ok...somebody got a word-a-day calendar for Christmas.  Unfortunately the user is mildly retarded.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 12:30:48 PM »

Definitely going.  Dog Soldiers was great, and I'm hoping this one's just as good.

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:45:13 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

On a related note, wtf:

"Neil Marshall's creepfest may see more feminist deconstruction than the original Alien, contemplation the film's unthinkingly slick surface invites but doesn't merit."

Translation: A lot of people are going to latch on to this movie as some sort of statement about the power of women, in the vein of Ripley from Alien, but it's really just a movie about pretty girls screaming and getting bloody.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 04:11:23 PM »

I'm interested, but will likely hit Ricky Bobby instead.  It'll be easier to talk the girlfriend into seeing that.

gellar
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 06:45:43 PM »

That's a really good score....maybe I'll check this out sooner than I originally thought. RT is usually a pretty good index, certainly better than anything Ebert and Roeper say.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 07:24:11 PM »

It's definelty one of the better horror films I've seen. A friend of mine had the European version of it on DVD (which was out like a year ago) and after seeing it I had to see it on the big screen as the movie just screams theater viewing.

So a theater around here had a "Fangoria Preview" event for the film which I decided to go to. It really does work well on the big screen. Once they get in the cave the pacing relentless. The fella sitting in front of me was leaning forward, litterally he was almost off the seat. When a big scare would happen (and there are a lot of good ones) he would shoot back in his seat. Was pretty awesome to see someone so engrosed in it.

The ending of the US version of the film is cut a bit short than what was in the European version. I thought the ending was just fine the way it was but perhaps they didn't think American audiences would go for it. Where they cut it is just fine though. I imagine the DVD will call out the "extended ending" cut.

Funny thing was for this preview event, which wasn't very well advertised, an old couple (in their 80's from the look of them) hobbled in to the theater. I figured they had meant to go see Monster House or something and went through the wrong doors. Nope. They sat down and watched the entire thing. They were hard core.

So if you do see this movie I would actually try and see it with the larger teen crowds at night. They will be freaking which should add to the overall experience.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 04:37:11 AM »

I'm waiting for the DVD - I heard that they plan to offer both endings (the original ultra-downer ending, and the current US ending) as a choice for how you want the movie to end.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

Funny thing was for this preview event, which wasn't very well advertised, an old couple (in their 80's from the look of them) hobbled in to the theater. I figured they had meant to go see Monster House or something and went through the wrong doors. Nope. They sat down and watched the entire thing. They were hard core.

Reminds me of when I went to see Team America.  A little old lady in her late 60's/early 70's came in and sat in front of us. She lasted a  lot longer than I thought she would.  She finally left when Gary started blowing Spotswoode.
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 03:52:21 AM »

Quote from: "Crawley"
The ending of the US version of the film is cut a bit short than what was in the European version. I thought the ending was just fine the way it was but perhaps they didn't think American audiences would go for it. Where they cut it is just fine though. I imagine the DVD will call out the "extended ending" cut.
I actually like the US ending (compared to the ending I've heard about for the Euro one) a bit more. Mainly because the Euro one seems a bit more cliche, or at least for the batch of movies I've seen recently. But regardless, still a fantastic horror movie.

Also, when 'they' made their first appearance at the screening I went to, someone in the back SCREAMED. Loud, piercing, horrified. Once everyone realized the scream wasn't in the movie, everyone in the theater laughed. Horror movies sure can have humorous reactions in theaters.  biggrin

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 04:58:23 AM »

Does this movie somehow relate to Dog Soldiers?
I remember seeing that in the low-budget section or something but thought it was a great movie. (Loved the way they taped up the head guy after he got attacked!)

I try not to read too many reviews before seeing movies because too often they have spoilers in them I'd rather go in not knowing entirely what to expect than just the opposite.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 05:50:40 AM »

Quote from: "Brinstil"
Quote from: "Crawley"
I actually like the US ending (compared to the ending I've heard about for the Euro one) a bit more. Mainly because the Euro one seems a bit more cliche, or at least for the batch of movies I've seen recently. But regardless, still a fantastic horror movie.

Also, when 'they' made their first appearance at the screening I went to, someone in the back SCREAMED. Loud, piercing, horrified. Once everyone realized the scream wasn't in the movie, everyone in the theater laughed. Horror movies sure can have humorous reactions in theaters.  biggrin

Brinstil,  welcome to the forums!

Anyone wanna spoiler the ending to the DVD version?  I'd like to know. Don't forget to use the [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler] tag!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 05:59:12 AM »

I didn't mind the original ending.  Even though it isn't a great ending, it's a small touching moment.

About the ending for the U.S. version :
Spoiler for Hiden:
From what I read, Sarah turns and sees Juno (or a likeness or her) in the truck with her and the movie ends.   Are you meant to believe Juno survived?

Original ending :

Spoiler for Hiden:
After seeing Juno in the truck, Sarah wakes up back in the cave.  The escape part was just a dream.  She sees a vision of her daughter in front of her with a birthday cake and it's led to believe she's the last thing she sees before the monsters get her.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 06:18:32 AM »

Thanks for the welcome Knightshade!

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I didn't mind the original ending.  Even though it isn't a great ending, it's a small touching moment.

Spoiler for Hiden:
From what I read, Sarah turns and sees Juno (or a likeness or her) in the truck with her and the movie ends.   Are you meant to believe Juno survived?

I thought it meant the below:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I thought it meant Sarah had essentially truly flipped out at that point. Driven mad with guilt or some such thing.

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »

Quote from: "Brinstil"
Thanks for the welcome Knightshade!

Quote from: "Nth Power"

Spoiler for Hiden:

I thought it meant the below:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I thought it meant Sarah had essentially truly flipped out at that point. Driven mad with guilt or some such thing.

Spoiler for Hiden:
well, they DO keep showing the damned cake.  The alternate ending would make sense...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 11:04:24 PM »

Really liked the movie myself.  Much more than Cave.  Could have scaled back all the gore, cuz that doesn nothing for me, but loved the rest.  For example, they must have spent 30 seconds or more on that girl's fingers in the eyes of the creature.  Geez, a split second would have gotten across what she was doing.  To me that is gore for gore's sake and does nothing to improve the scene.  But that's a personal taste thing I know.  

But still loved the movie.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »

Went and saw this last night with the mrs.  I thought the first 30 minutes or so was the best; it went downhill fast after that.  The best "scare" in the movie was Sara's dream in the cabin...   The first part of the cave sequence was good - until the monsters showed up.  Honestly, I was much more frightened by the aussie movie Wolf Creek.   Heh - even Condemned on the 360 scared me more than The Descent!

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 05:43:14 AM »

Saw this over the weekend, easily my favorite horror movie in years.

The fact that it had a female centric cast immediately freshens the material.   The fact that they are capable adventurers adds to that.

In terms of scariness, it does use jump scares, which I nomally hate.  I could tolerate it here because I felt that they milked the claustrophobic atmosphere for maximum creepiness, so the movie's sense of horror wasn't dependent on the jump scares.

The overall effect was very good, although I could nitpick a few things if pressed.  Such as:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The cavers from 100 years ago marked their trail, but these modern, intelligent, experienced women didn't immediately start marking their path as soon as they realized they were lost? How did they know whatever path they took wouldn't lead them in circles? With limited light in unfamiliar caves, they were counting on recognizing every place they had been?  Yeah right

Later, when Juno said "I'm not leaving without Sarah" I wanted to smack her.   Um, until you are actually OUTSIDE the caves, up where you can see the sky, you don't know that you have a way out- with or without your friend.   She just assumed, for no really good reason, that the old path would get them out.  That in 100 years, no collapse has occured, no blockage of the original path- like the blockage that trapped them in the first place.  Yeah right.

Overall though, none of that mattered.  The movie delivered on the concept of women in a cave with monsters.  I just hope SOAP delivers just as well on its concept.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 05:44:53 AM by gameoverman » Logged
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 05:54:36 AM »

Decent flick, the only full priced movie we will see this year, and we enjoyed it.  The ending was nonsense though.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 12:56:32 PM »

Good movie, and I liked the ending.....probably moreso than the original cut's.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't believe for a second that Juno was still alive at the end; I took it as Sarah adding one more nightmare to her list now

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 09:18:29 PM »

Quote from: gameoverman on August 14, 2006, 05:43:14 AM

The overall effect was very good, although I could nitpick a few things if pressed.  Such as:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The cavers from 100 years ago marked their trail, but these modern, intelligent, experienced women didn't immediately start marking their path as soon as they realized they were lost? How did they know whatever path they took wouldn't lead them in circles? With limited light in unfamiliar caves, they were counting on recognizing every place they had been?  Yeah right

Later, when Juno said "I'm not leaving without Sarah" I wanted to smack her.   Um, until you are actually OUTSIDE the caves, up where you can see the sky, you don't know that you have a way out- with or without your friend.   She just assumed, for no really good reason, that the old path would get them out.  That in 100 years, no collapse has occured, no blockage of the original path- like the blockage that trapped them in the first place.  Yeah right.

Good points, just a quick response:
Spoiler for Hiden:
At first they were following the breeze via flame, and so path-marking probably seemed unnecessary. And by the time they couldn't use that method, after the attack, I think they were too panic-stricken to think clearly enough to start marking passages. At least that's how I took it, and so that didn't bug me.

And when Juno said that line, my friends and I groaned. She'd been so smart before that damn line, it just stuck out as "DUMBDUMBDUMB."

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 05:41:11 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on August 05, 2006, 04:37:11 AM

I'm waiting for the DVD - I heard that they plan to offer both endings (the original ultra-downer ending, and the current US ending) as a choice for how you want the movie to end.

Every time I see a statement like this I think of Se7en, because it's one of the rare movies that had the balls to go with an ending that typical US audiences wouldn't like.

You know, because it wasn't happy.

You also just convinced me to wait for DVD.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 04:15:56 PM »

I may be going this weekend to see this, I heard it is dammmn good, and I'm really stoked.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 08:03:48 PM »

I've read what the 'real' ending is, and it is not far in spirit from the American ending.  It's not like the ending's essential nature is changed in any way.   In fact, I think this current American ending is more creative, since the 'real' ending is one of two that I was thinking to myself(as I watched the movie) "Oh God, I hope they don't end it with...."

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

I was pretty surprised/mortified to hear there was a trailer out for "The Descent: Part 2," which apparently opens in the UK Dec. 4. The writer/director of the original isn't involved at all. So if you liked the original, you might want to steer clear; if you thought the original was overrated, then you might be hopeful.  icon_razz

IGN debuted the "The Descent: Part 2" trailer:
http://media.movies.ign.com/media/143/14316746/vids_1.html

The trailer already removes the fun of the first film, which was simply not knowing quite what the ladies are up against (it wasn't given away in trailers). For #2, there's no such "surprise!" card to play, and it doesn't seem like they're going the Aliens route of at least making it more of a battle. It just sounds kinda pointless.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:43:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 07:25:11 PM »

Well, since Shauna MacDonald's character in the first movie never made it out of the cave the fact that she's in the trailer for the second one pretty much removes it from my "to see" list without even considering how bad the rest of the trailer actually looks.

To clarify, I saw it on Blu-Ray and not in the theaters. I only heard about the ending for the American theatrical release later on. I prefer the original ending and I'm glad that's the one I saw first.

I'll just pretend the second one doesn't exist. Kind of like I do with Alien Resurrection and any number of other crap sequels to good movies.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »

well that trailer looks like crap. I cant wait until the Ruins part 2 comes back starring all the characters who died in the original.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: