http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:21:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Silver Chair  (Read 427 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:29:35 PM »

a new Narnia adaptation is in the works, this time with the fourth book.  I enjoyed Dawn Treader, but with its box office take I am surprised they are still plugging away at the series.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:29:31 AM »

I'm surprised too. I never bothered to watch any of the sequels. Lame-ass fantasy series.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:28:39 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 06, 2013, 12:29:31 AM

Lame-ass fantasy series.

Eye of the beholder.

I hold Narnia in high regard.

While I am no apologist for the movies, I can't imagine my (imagination) life without Jack's stories.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:12:57 AM »

I read the books and was not massively impressed overall,they were okay,the one that i did enjoy was The Magician's Nephew,which explained how the Wardrobe became magical

I am however glad they are still going at this,I have enjoyed the films,there were rumours after Dawn Treader that they were going to skip this (Silver Chair) and go straight to a Horse and his Boy...glad they are still going in the order of publication for the time being anyway

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:38:21 AM »

The first movie in this series was very, very good. Its a childrens book / Young adult book, so take that into consideration, but the pan-flute moment was pure magic - so well done, with great actors.

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:42:05 AM »

I'm surprised too. I never bothered to watch any of the sequels. Lame-ass fantasy series.

I don't understand this kind of posting - you don't see me coming into the Nymphomania movie thread and shitting over that, do you? Even though I have strong feelings in that area, I respect that others enjoy and look forward to his movies. Please do the same here.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 06, 2013, 07:38:21 AM

The first movie in this series was very, very good. Its a childrens book / Young adult book, so take that into consideration, but the pan-flute moment was pure magic - so well done, with great actors.
I need to get it on blu ray, for some reason I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »

I have the first two on DVD,think i just saw the third on SKY Movies,as i was not working and my days of throwing money at every DVD that got released had to calm down  icon_confused

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »

I have it on DVD, just want the hi def version.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 06, 2013, 07:42:05 AM

I don't understand this kind of posting - you don't see me coming into the Nymphomania movie thread and shitting over that, do you? Even though I have strong feelings in that area, I respect that others enjoy and look forward to his movies. Please do the same here.

Sorry, but no. That's my honest opinion of the Chronicles series. You don't get to dictate what opinions are posted on these boards.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »

I'm surprised too. I suppose they'd have to have a totally new cast as the children would be a bit too old for their parts.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 06, 2013, 05:46:14 PM

Sorry, but no. That's my honest opinion of the Chronicles series. You don't get to dictate what opinions are posted on these boards.

My sincerest apologies - I misread your post at first and reacted badly to it, thinking you never even saw the first one, which I see now was implicit in your sentence. Of course you are entitled to your opinion (Even if its wrong ;-) )

Anyways -sorry for misunderstanding and reacting poorly!

A new one
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:28:08 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 06, 2013, 08:12:00 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 06, 2013, 05:46:14 PM

My sincerest apologies - I misread your post at first and reacted badly to it, thinking you never even saw the first one, which I see now was implicit in your sentence. Of course you are entitled to your opinion (Even if its wrong ;-) )

Anyways -sorry for misunderstanding and reacting poorly!

It's ok. I know it sounded harsh when I called the series 'lame-ass', but frankly I am surprised that the studios are going ahead with a fourth film. The 2nd and 3rd film in the series didn't do well at the box office.. and the franchise had begun to look like generic fantasy, so this decision is a head-scratcher.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »

Unfortunately, I kinda agree. The first movie was rather magical (to me), but the second and third one was lackluster at best. Its a shame because there's tons of good material in the books, but unfortunately, that gets eaten up by special effects and dumping down content to lowest common denominator so often.

A new one
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 04:27:25 AM »

This is odd to me as Douglas Gresham didn't want Walden Media involved and because of that there was a moratorium of 7 years past the last film. Though I guess there was no explanation on what he meant by that beyond saying it was "To prevent them from using anything from the Walden films".
I don't see a problem with using the established cast unless it conflicts with the above. Now that I think of it they would be bringing back two sets. The children for Silver Chair and the young adults for Horse and Last. The exceptions would be Eustace and Jill who were around 13 for Silver Chair and probably 16 for Last Battle.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 05:33:42 AM »

I didn't even realize they had made 3... I had vague recollections of them making a second one.  I thought the first was just such a heavy handed christ allegory... which I guess is the source material, but came across so strongly in the movie it was almost embarrassing... I also felt like it was trying really hard to be the lord of the rings, or at least hit the right beats to be a LOTR movie, instead of just being itself.

I can't remember how far I made it into the series as a kid... I remember being disappointed that there were books that didn't follow the kids.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »

There in lies the problem with Narnia. It was never about the battles, indeed they were not really described in much detail with the possible exception of The Last Battle. But that is probably what the films had to rest on to even get made. Not saying a film maker cannot expand on the source material but Narnia was never really about fighting but about the children and their impact on the world and it's impact on them.

The allegories were definitely a part of the books but I never felt they were too heavy handed. Heck as a kid I didn't think about it at all only as an adult did I see the connections. Thinking about it now it seems a little weird in the way Lewis portrays Aslan. He is the creator of Narnia but also interacts with it from time to time so it would seem to portray him as the trinity. But then there is the Emperor over the sea that Aslan mentions several times and how the emperor has rules that he and Narnia must follow. Then there is Charn which Aslan knows about but does not interact with. Maybe someone with more knowledge in religion can connect all that together but it seems like Lewis wanted something like Christianity but not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: