http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:47:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] Stealth  (Read 3402 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2005, 01:47:18 PM »

I'm going to a screening of the movie "Stealth" this evening, I'll write up a review of the movie in here, as always. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 02:00:22 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'm going to a screening of the movie "Stealth" this evening, I'll write up a review of the movie in here, as always. smile

Looks like it could be cheesy-fun.  And with Jessica Biel in it, it has the possibility for the pervy-cheesy-fun upgrade.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 02:16:15 PM »

I agree.  She is yummy.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:16:24 PM »

I'm all about the pervy upgrade.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:21:12 PM »

I'm all about the pervy upgrade.

Yeah!
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 02:31:28 PM »

Beer Goggles

Your name wouldn't be Billy by any chance?    http://nealmccoy.com/billy.html

Ye Olde Farte
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 03:02:08 PM »

I am not real optimistic about it.

Looking forward to reading your comments though smile

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 03:11:53 PM »

the first half of the trailer looked good until they decided to put the AI plane in there and have it go mad after being struck by lightning and turn against the hunams.  

only if my computer could do that.....
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 03:16:12 PM »

I am not real optimistic about it.

I anticipate saying:
Come for the Jessica, stay for the popcorn.  Catch a matinee.  That said, I'd be cool with being surprised. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 03:30:51 PM »

I agree with the cheesy fun factor, but what gets me on the "Oh wow cool!" scale is two-fold. The shot of the plane doing a roll-over another plane, then the missles drop out, roll over and then one fires off. Mega-sweet shot. Also, as impractical and stupid as it looks, the exploding ring of fire at the end is just awesome because.... it's an exploding ring of fire in the sky. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 05:57:24 PM »

I just want this movie to finally come out so I never have to see the preview at the theater again.  A robot becoming aware of itself after a lightning strike?  Sounds a little bit too much like Short Circuit to me.

Skeld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 06:30:14 PM »

Make sure to let me know if the veritech fighters... I mean, stealth jets ever transformed into giant robots in the movie  :lol:

A part of me was hoping that they would actually make a live version of Macross Plus instead of ripping it off, another part of me was glad that they didn't since most likely they would just butcher it.

Either way, loud explosions and Jessica Biel seems like mindless fun.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 06:32:09 PM »

I think it looks astoundingly stupid but oh so fun. Plus it has jessica biel in it, which helps things, and airplanes, which helps even more. I am in.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 06:45:55 PM »

How much damage could a massive electrical surge do so a computer? Could it damage the hard disk? Could it alter any of the programs on a computer (apps / games / OS)? What about a large network? I'm just trying to find a little possibility in the inane reason the movie makers are giving us for this rogue AI.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 07:12:15 PM »

I saw the trailer before Star Wars: Ep.3.  Here are my predictions-

1.  Jaimie Foxx will be the first to die.
2.  Either Jessica Biel will be the one to kill the robot, or her puerile love interest will kill it to save her.

I'm also predicting an 'Independence Day' style special effects fest equally weak on story.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »

Here is what I got from the trailer:

1.) Uhh...WHOA.....cool....is it gonna transform? awww....its just a jet.
2.) WHOA! JB in a bikini.  This movie just got better

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 09:37:43 PM »

Jamie Foxx the first to die? Umm, he's the star.

The black guy hardly ever dies first now. It is always the old lady or a retard.

You know, for that tragic feeling the director is trying to get across.

Old lady died. Tragic. Get it? No? OKay wise ass, BAM, killed the retard.

Oh yeah, now you cry. Suck it bitch.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 09:46:02 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Jamie Foxx the first to die? Umm, he's the star.

No he's not.  From what I understand he has a supporting role.  Josh Lucas is the star (or "lead" to be more appropriate).  The movie was filmed last summer, I think, before Foxx really hit it big with Collateral and Ray.  Since then the trailers and ads have been retooled to feature him the most prominently.  

I agree with Unbreakable- I think Foxx will be first to bite it.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 10:02:50 PM »

Well, is it Foxx or Lucas that's in the ring of fire finale as showcased in the trailer? (Don't really know if it's an end-game moment, but it sure feels like it.)

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 10:38:16 PM »

Macross Plus looks better.

Of course, Jessica Beil beats any anime woman.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 12:03:31 AM »

Movie looks terrible.  Plus they showed way too much in the trailer, you pretty much saw everything you needed to see Tongue

However that ring of fire looked awesome
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 11:07:50 AM »

Stealth looks so lame.  Even the trailer bored me, and I would think that can't speak well for the movie.  The only reason I'd see it is the hotness of Jessica Biel.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 12:00:31 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
Beer Goggles

Your name wouldn't be Billy by any chance?    http://nealmccoy.com/billy.html

No, you old goat.  smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 12:59:42 PM »

Well, I can confirm that the ring of fire thing is actually not an end-game piece.  I can also confirm that the movie is not a complete disaster.  Here is my spoiler-seperated movie review:

The movie itself is a popcorn heavy-action constant motion type movie.  Its not completely out of the realm of possibility, minus the lightning strike and the programming for the UCAV (Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle).  (I say the programming is out of the realm of possibility as its almost like the movie "Hackers" when they show code being this rat nest of Calc formula and DNA-like strands)  As far as the jets themselves, they are a swing-wing forward-facing stealth jet very similar to the test craft NASA uses. (PIC of real thing) They did do a LOT of homework on how the stealth is designed (thrusters are straight back and angled slightly upward to prevent detection from the ground) without going very far outside the box.  The UCAV is very similar to craft I saw while stationed in Florida, with the added Hollywood AI of course.  I was VERY impressed with the level of detail on the fighters and their behaviour.

The storyline of the movie is great for roughly 2/3 of the movie.  The pilots are in the YX stage (experimental) and are working through proving trials.  Just like EVERY OTHER movie where that is the case, they are thrust into a combat situation while on a training mission.  The UCAV performs well, the pilots get jealous - instant tension.   The mission ends successfully but the UCAV is smacked with lightning (we saw this in the trailer) and the UCAV develops its own will to select targets and missions.  The three pilots are sent out to capture and retrieve the craft and bring it home.  Unfortunately, this is where the realism ends.

**SPOILERS**
The commander suddenly and without any good reason goes sour and decides that since he has lost one pilot to an accident and another to an ejection, he should just kill off the UCAV and the third pilot.  He diverts them to a 'not on any map' base in Alaska to have them killed by some nameless extras.  The usual crash landing occurs and our last pilot is left to try to save the day using the UCAV.  What happened to the coherent storyline?  Rob Cohen must have left that in his other pants.
*** END SPOILER ***

In the end, this is a very fun action movie.  The jet sequences are head and shoulders above anything I expected with a great deal of insane and over the top action sequences that never quite go over the edge.  (Yes, even the exploding ring of fire makes a little sense when in context)  My suggestion is to get your popcorn ready, tilt your seat back, turn off YOUR AI, and just enjoy the fast-paced ride.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 12:45:38 AM »

Okay, the preview at this link just sold me on the flick. Completely. I'm so there now. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2005, 05:27:35 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Okay, the preview at this link just sold me on the flick. Completely. I'm so there now. smile

Nice trailer, but what the hell is up with them saying "That's hot" twice in the trailer?  Scriptwriters run out of witty dialogue, so they borrow some from Paris Hilton?  Ug.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2005, 05:32:32 PM »

When you see what actually happens in that scene, it is indeed hot.  I do agree though....any time I hear "That's Hot" I immediatly work hard to dredge up the image of PH being impaled by a pipe in House of Wax.

Ahhhhh...bliss.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2005, 06:08:54 PM »

Those with Tivo can check out the first four minutes of the movie... looks pretty cheesy - CGI-tastic - but I'm a sucker for jets and stuff blowing up real good, so I'll probably be catching it in the theater.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 09:12:09 PM »

Must see...airplanes...fast...jessica biel. Yummy!
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2005, 09:41:18 PM »

KD (or anyone else who has seen it)- how did I do on my prognostications?
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2005, 09:47:55 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Think I'm in town for the duration now, so just let me know when you need a partner in crime.  I'm up for some full-throttle Jessica Biel watchin'.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2005, 09:53:29 PM »

If the reviews say it's entertaining - this one doesn't actually have to be exceptionally clever for me, just not obnoxiously stupid - I'm totally down.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2005, 10:45:07 PM »

I'm sure I'll enjoy it whether it's actually a good movie or not.

In!

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 02:54:55 PM »

Harry and Quint from Ain't It Cool both shat on the movie, for the exact reasons I was worried about: the movie is repeatedly and consistently irritatingly stupid.

From Harry's Review:

Now - I know what you're thinking. Ok, I don't. But you're probably thinking that I'm nitpicking the film to death. But that's generally because at every level of this film there is a nitpick standing on it's head lighting farts at regular intervals like OLD FAITHFUL! Everything these characters do, every situation they are in, nearly every decision made... is counter to any semblance of reality.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 03:06:30 PM »

These guys know dick about the military.  Stupid civilians...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2005, 04:17:24 PM »

However I would say that most movie viewers fall into the same catagory.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2005, 04:44:44 PM »

I see nothing in those two reviews that's invalidated due to lack of knowledge of the military.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2005, 04:46:19 PM »

Most pilots I've known acted pretty much like these guys did.  It seems that the reviewer based the whole review on his opinion on their attitudes.  Bleh, its one of the many reasons I don't read AICN.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2005, 05:02:54 PM »

Most pilots I've known acted pretty much like these guys did.  It seems that the reviewer based the whole review on his opinion on their attitudes.  Bleh, its one of the many reasons I don't read AICN.

I know plenty of pilots and while confidence and ego are certainly necessary to survive the rigors of Naval Aviation, I don't know very many who make it very far in the military (and the three characters in Stealth would certainly qualify as individuals on the fast track) by repeatedly questioning their superiors' authority.  In fact I don't know anyone officer in the Navy, no matter what their vocation, who are successful doing that.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2005, 06:17:28 PM »

I am quite surprised by the level of support I find in this thread.  The preview which I think I saw before the last 4-5 movies I saw in the theater, had at least a handful of people laughing by the end each time.  The opening scene of the preview with Foxx riding through the corn fields saying he is more comfortable "up there" made me puke in my mouth a little more each successive time.

Now... I must admit that Jessica Biel is hot.  And that helps.  Plus the ring of fire looked really cool but I still couldn't get by the cheesey "robot gone bad by lightning strike" premise.  Its just laughable in my opinion.  

If you didn't have a free ticket to a screening would you have gone to see it?  Its one of those situations where I don't think I can really bring myself to pay to see this movie but could be convinced for free.  I am sure I could walk away saying, that was worth having a free ticket to, but close to $10?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: