http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 08:06:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Star Trek 2, AKA Star Trek Into Darkness  (Read 19465 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 17, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »

Body Odor Mojo updated its foreign numbers mostly as of June 9, and ST passed the $200M mark in foreign markets. Yes, I know Man of Steel will make more than that in a week or so. Comic book films for the most part seem to bring in a "much wider tent" right now into theaters.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=startrek12.htm
Domestic:     $210,491,000       51.1%
+ Foreign:     $201,700,000       48.9%
= Worldwide:     $412,191,000    
So I'm a broken record on this but it remains that Darkness' domestic take will be seen as disappointing compared to the first film's $257M take; but the foreign box office numbers look like they could well double that of the first film's $128M take.

I don't know what that means. Is it the Cumberbatch Effect? Or is it just even more evident now than in 2009 how much foreign markets eat up CGI extravaganzas?  icon_smile
------------

As far as the Kirk-Spock friendship, keep in mind Darkness is set quite a bit after the end of the first film. So yeah, there's supposed to have been a friendship there built between the two. I liked that, but the early part of the movie, one thing that bothered me was -
Spoiler for Hiden:
Well if some Red Shirt nobody was in the volcano trying to detonate the fusion freeze bomb, would Kirk have just told him to "go hang" because the Red Shirt wasn't Kirks's friend?

I think sometimes to me the real test of leadership isn't how you treat your friends, it's if you do the right thing even if it involves someone you don't really know, or even someone you dislike.
That didn't bother me until I thought about it much later.   icon_smile

On the friendship stuff, I would liken it it to the start of The Empire Strikes back, where the characters have spent a lot of time together since the first movie but unless you read the SW novels set in that time, you don't really know about that. It's more like, "Hey Han and Luke are best buds now, and Han would risk freezing to death to save him."

As far as Karl Urban goes, I enjoy his performances. If I felt like JJ and co. forced him to do something closer to an impersonation, maybe it would bother me, but it's clear from Urban's interviews that it was His Own Choice, and he actually had to sort of convince JJ it was the right choice. I only wish he was maybe a bit more integrated into the 2nd film; perhaps the third film will do that.

My only real wish for film #3 is to move past Personal Vengeance as the main plot. We're approaching the 40th anniversary of ST's TV debut, so why not finally have a movie with some exploration/discovery focus. It doesn't mean it can't have pew-pew, doesn't mean the Enterprise has to go face God (Shatner's lousy directorial effort already did that) or save the whales. It's just, ST is all about exploration/discovery, so please let's have the reboot tackle that at some point instead of Revenge Movie #3.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:52:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »

Did they say it was set quite a bit after the first movie?  It could have been set one week after for all I know. 

At least in Star Wars, Han and Luke acted like friends in the first movie.  You could see them being good friends as Empire begins.  In Star Trek, Spock had abandoned Kirk on a frozen planet that was pretty much a death sentence.  They were not friends at all.  Now we're just supposed to accept that they're best friends?  That's quite a leap. 

I like your idea for ST 3. 
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 17, 2013, 05:51:24 PM

ST is all about exploration/discovery, so please let's have the reboot tackle that at some point instead of Revenge Movie #3.  icon_smile

Can I get an Amen?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The ending of Into Darkness clearly set up that expectation. I just hope that they don't proceed to remake an old TOS episode or mashup of episodes.

Take us where no one has gone before!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 17, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »

Star Trek 3:  Spock's Trouble with Hippies.

if anything I'd think it'd be cool if they'd turn to the Mirror Universe next.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 18, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 17, 2013, 04:02:15 AM

Quote from: Razgon on June 08, 2013, 08:04:46 PM

Anyways - I can tell that I'm probably the only one who saw a ton of commentary on the USA in this movie? Drone killings (The torpedos), moral ambiguity in missions, use of lethal force, secret agencies and secret prisons where you just store people without a trial? I can't believe that wasn't on purpose?

Yes, and that is classic Star Trek. TOS was as topical and moralistic as any network TV show could be in its day and I was impressed that Abrams kept the new movie relevant to contemporary controversies. That's really the heart and soul of Star Trek. I was worried that it was going to be a shallow, straight-ahead action movie with a ST theme. Some of the fight scenes went on longer than they should have but the groundlings eat that stuff up, so that's ok.

Thank you! That was also my take on the old StarTrek, but since no-one mentioned it, I wasn't sure if I was going crazy or just seeing things.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 11, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »

However, we do now know when Star Trek Into Darkness is arriving on DVD and Blu-ray, in the US at least.
The film has been confirmed for release on September 10th 2013, and we'd imagine that the UK release will fall in line with that.

On the Blu-ray, special features include featurettes on Creating The Red Planet, Attack On Starfleet, The Klingon Home World, how the villain was kept as secret as possible, a look at the space jump sequence and how Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch went about preparing for their sequence near the end of the film.

DoG

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 20, 2013, 03:23:57 AM »

Walmart special edition:

kinda tempted.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 29, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »

it seems a lot of the planned Special Features are NOT going to appear on the Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray ..or not all on the one version

seems the special features/extras will appear at certain retailers....kind of like Video games with their store exclusive DLC

den of geek

It seems that at least half of the extras planned for the Star Trek Into Darkness disc release are now retailer exclusive...

Heading into UK stores next week, and arriving in the US a week later, is the DVD and Blu-ray release of Star Trek Into Darkness. But as US reviewers for the film have started to receive their copies, it's looking as though Paramount has decided to hold back the bulk of the extra features from the disc release. Furthermore, it seems to be holding them back, in America at least, to provide different retailers with different exclusives.

The DVD release of Star Trek Into Darkness is apparently extras-free, whilst the Blu-ray features seven featurettes, that run to around 40 minutes. The review that's gone up over at The Digital Bits suggests that these are basic filler, the kind of press kit pieces that are interesting enough, but hardly substantive.

This in itself wouldn't be the best of news. But the issue here is that the filmmakers created a lot more in the way of extra features, yet they're not appearing on the main Blu-ray release.

Instead, they're being used as retailer exclusives. As such, the only way you can get the commentary track (on paper, arguably the pick of the extra features that we know about) that JJ Abrams and his team recorded is via an iTunes 'extra' download. From what we can make out, to get hold of it you need to pay full price for the 1080p download of the film from Apple. So, if you want to watch the film on Blu-ray with commentary, you have to pay twice, and press play on two devices at the same time. Which we can't imagine very many people want to do.

Furthermore, additional featurettes are only available as special downloads from CinemaNow and VuDu. And then there are additional featurettes that appear on bonus discs if you buy Star Trek Into Darkness from either Target or Best Buy in the US (although both of those stores seem to have different retailer exclusive extras).

According to the Amazon UK listing for the UK Star Trek Into Darkness release, we're only getting the main featurettes too that appear on the US disc, so what the arrangements are for the retailer exclusives over here are remains to be seen.

Understandably, this decision - to hold back extras from customers to entice retailers - has not got down well, and as Bleeding Cool points out, "one of the qualities I appreciate in Blu-ray releases is that if I purchase a Blu-ray I then own the best release of that film I can get, until another technology comes along. I have it in the best possible format currently available for home viewing and with all the special features that I may return to again and again in years to come. This disc isnít that".

As it turns out, to get the full selection of extras for Star Trek Into Darkness, it looks like you're expected to buy the disc from an assorted of different retailers, and jigsaw them together. How can that be right and fair?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2013, 04:53:40 PM »

Im not really bothered much by this even though I think its a bad decision on the part of Paramount.  Anything missing ofh any particular retail release will be available in the internet almost immediately and Im not all that into special features anyways.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 29, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »

Well, that's crappy.  I do like extras.  And while I rarely listen to entire commentary tracks, I do enjoy turning them on for scenes I find particularly interesting.  I don't mind extras being awarded to consumers according to their retailer, but when you start stripping out the stuff we've come to expect as being part of the base package, while still increasing or maintaining the MSRP, you've essentially screwed your customers in a really shitty manner, imho.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 29, 2013, 05:21:16 PM »

They're holding back extras?  I'll be holding back my money.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: August 29, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 29, 2013, 05:21:16 PM

yup.  if this ends up in my library it will be after they put the extras back into a BD version or via a gift from someone else.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 29, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 29, 2013, 05:58:39 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 29, 2013, 05:21:16 PM

yup.  if this ends up in my library it will be after they put the extras back into a BD version or via a gift from someone else.

when they release the ultimate edition I plan on watching the features via Youtube for free.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: August 29, 2013, 10:58:11 PM »

Wow. That's really fucking stupid of them to do that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: