http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:58:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Star Trek 2, AKA Star Trek Into Darkness  (Read 19170 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 08, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 08, 2013, 03:44:43 PM

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on May 07, 2013, 08:45:33 PM

I actually love the reserved seating at my local theater.  They offer motion seats called D-Box seating and they are reserved only. Nothing quite as satisfying as ordering tickets a couple days in advance, walking into a packed theater 5min before previews start, and sitting in the exact seat you want.

Of course, to all those people waiting in line, you walked past them to D-Bag seating.

hey, don't knock it...

reserved seating makes them an easier target.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 08, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »

Of course, to all those people waiting in line, you walked past them to D-Bag seating.

You mean all those people who could have also bought their tickets online if it means that much to them? I fail to see the problem...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 08, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »

11:30am showing tomorrow,woohoo

Gonna watch the first film again in a bit

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 08, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 08, 2013, 05:14:34 PM

You mean all those people who could have also bought their tickets online if it means that much to them? I fail to see the problem...

The problem is that the theater named the seating something that is easy to turn into D-Bag.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 08, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 08, 2013, 07:43:24 PM

The problem is that the theater named the seating something that is easy to turn into D-Bag.

I kinda am a D-bag tho. slywink

I have a favorite comeback for when people call me a douche.  Not targeted in any way at anyone here, just wanted to share it.
spoiler for nsfw/rude comment.
Spoiler for Hiden:
You just think I'm a douche because when I'm done banging your wife/mother/whoever they smell better....
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 08, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on May 08, 2013, 08:06:13 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 08, 2013, 07:43:24 PM

I kinda am a D-bag tho. slywink

I have a favorite comeback for when people call me a douche.  Not targeted in any way at anyone here, just wanted to share it.
spoiler for nsfw/rude comment.
Spoiler for Hiden:
You just think I'm a douche because when I'm done banging your wife/mother/whoever they smell better....

icon_lol

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: May 09, 2013, 07:26:57 AM »

Got tickets for this for tonight 16.30pm uk time. Going with my dad, really looking forward to it, last film i saw a the cinema was Super 8 so been a while since i have been.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 09, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »

Really enjoyed this movie

Spoiler for Hiden:
Although there were a lot of parts that were a bit dumb..which i will go into at a later date
EDIT: see below

I am glad they played their cards close to their chest/vest..as i was not expecting the Cumberbatch twist

There is a lot in this film for fans of the original TV series and the movies

EDIT:
Okay the Kirk Death was a great scene but then massively cheapened with the Khan blood cure and later Kirk was okay,whereas the Spock death in WoK took a whole movie to get him back

Spock talking to old Spock--for me,it had been done in the first film,and obviously this was for the fans but i felt it was unnecessary

still a lot of lens flare,LOL

Tops Iron Man 3 for me anyway
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:58:30 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: May 09, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 09, 2013, 01:58:35 PM

Really enjoyed this movie

Spoiler for Hiden:
Although there were a lot of parts that were a bit dumb..which i will go into at a later date
EDIT: see below

I am glad they played their cards close to their chest/vest..as i was not expecting the Cumberbatch twist

There is a lot in this film for fans of the original TV series and the movies

EDIT:
Okay the Kirk Death was a great scene but then massively cheapened with the Khan blood cure and later Kirk was okay,whereas the Spock death in WoK took a whole movie to get him back

Spock talking to old Spock--for me,it had been done in the first film,and obviously this was for the fans but i felt it was unnecessary

still a lot of lens flare,LOL

Tops Iron Man 3 for me anyway

I agree with most of that however this bit really dragged as well
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Enterprise crashing, it really went on for far too long

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »

I hope all of you guys have gone into media block mode for this,pretty much every site i am going on people are dishing out the spoilers(absolutely DON'T go on IMDb Star Trek Boards)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 11, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »

otal Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:    n/a      0.0%
+ Foreign:    $31,700,000      100.0%
= Worldwide:    $31,700,000   

When you guys go see the film,do me a favour and keep an eye out for Heather Langenkamp(she played Nancy in the first Freddy film),she plays
Spoiler for Hiden:
an Alien called Moto

but i can't say i recognised her or can remember seeing a character with that name,I have only just found out she appeared in the film

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 13, 2013, 02:10:16 AM »

Dutifully bought my $17 (doesn't even shock me anymore) ticket for early Thursday evening. Given my IM3 experience at this Regal RPX theater, I think I'll try to sit a couple rows further back, rather than let JJ Abrams' 3D-conversioness poke holes in my cornea as I struggle to keep the whole screen in my 3-D glassed vision as I enjoy my $8.50 pizza and my $6.00 soda. Money? Bah, it's summer at the movies...  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 13, 2013, 02:54:25 AM »

LOL.

And I'm going to pay $15 for a legit IMAX 2D showing.  I win!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 13, 2013, 01:17:56 PM »

so where the film has been released,how's it doing compared to the first film?
hollywoodreporter.com

In those markets where Star Trek films have seen their strongest business -- U.K., Australia and Germany -- aggregate grosses for Into Darkness were 56 percent ahead of Abrams' 2009 reboot.

The real test for Paramount came in Mexico, New Zealand and German-speaking Switzerland, where the space-set franchise has never been especially popular. The results: Into Darkness paced 250 percent ahead of the 2009 film.

Mexico was of particular importance, since sci-fi isn't a favored genre there (it's also one of the biggest markets for 3D fare). Into Darkness took in a stellar $3 million from 573 locations, triple the opening of the 2009 film...

...The U.K. led with $13.3 million from 556 locations, 50 percent better than the 2009 reboot. Into Darkness also dominated the market in Germany, grossing $7.6 million from 627 locations, 80 percent better. Australia took in $5.5 million from 263 locations, 50 percent ahead of the 2009 movie.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 13, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »

those damn Swiss!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »

Simon Pegg ‏@simonpegg 9m
Which one are you? http://j.mp/12uT9ya

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 13, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »

Simon Pegg on being Scotty.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 15, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »

Since I'm part Korean, i guess the Chosen Ones are for me, though I get the impression Sulu and Chekhov don't get as much chance to shine as they did in the first film.

Now I just need to figure out if I want to again sit in the first row behind the front entry aisle - great legroom, easy exits to the restroom, but the RPX screen literally is wider than my eyeballs can take in without swiveling left and right, and the 3D glasses worsen that.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 15, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »

Just came back from seeing it on opening night here. The wife and I enjoyed it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 15, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 16, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

Tasteful The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

I have refrained from my usual review linkage since I've found too many reviews are too spoilery even when they claim not to be. I can say I've seen many very positive (lets say 3.5 stars/4 is common) reviews at major media outlets.

Collider.com's cranky main reviewer who hates everything hates this (no surprise  icon_razz), but for the most part what I've seen the last few days is very positive. And no, not just from those no-names that get quoted in posters for bad movies, usually with ellipsis removing anything critical...

"... blockbuster of the summer..."  retard
".... exciting... has performances...."

No, really, many enthusiastic reviews from critics who don't like most summer blockbusters. IT's a good sign I think.  icon_smile And a few fans here and there who claim to see earlier preview screenings and already run back in to see it again.

Long day at work. 7:10 can't arrive soon enough. Oh who am I kidding? I mean 7:25 or 7:30, whenever the interminable trailers finish...  Bring your own!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:38:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 16, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »

Saw it this morning.

Overall, I liked it a lot.  Fan service is the name of the game, as mo said.  To the point where I can see a lot of people complaining about it, frankly.  To me, it was nice to see that they embraced it full-on.  Like why dip your toe in the water?  If you're going to go for it, go whole hog.

Spoiler for Hiden:
There were so many parallels, too, that it actually makes sense in this new spin-off universe.  Kahn explained that the explosion of Vulcan is what caused him to be found early, so it's like fate was rewiring everything to get the pieces in line, as it were.

But it's not just the massive fan-servicing, there were lots of little things, too. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Can't think of them all, but certain lines are directly from Wrath of Kahn, of course, but also working in the 5 year mission, "I'm a doctor not a torpedo engineer", etc.

My favorite bit, though (and I can't believe there was no indication of it at all in trailers and such):

Spoiler for Hiden:
Going to Kronos.  Major geek splooge going on there.  For a second, I was worried they weren't going to let the Klingons out of the ships, then that they weren't going to take off the helmets.  Nicely milked.

And that gave Uhura her big moment.  It's nice that everyone gets their chance to shine, but it's going to get a bit formulaic over more movies.  Also, it's already causing some logic leaps.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Like is Chekhov really the second best person to be in charge of Engineering on the whole ship?  Why the hell isn't he second in command down there, then.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spock talking to Spock was totally unnecessary and should have been cut.  We learned nothing from that, and Spock learned nothing that was directly useful.

I also agree with the comments about the dragged on bit and the cheapness of the save for one character.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Kirk's death.

But even that part wasn't spoil-the-movie lame, just a little convenient.

Oh, and maybe I'm crazy, but in at this moment toward the end of the film:

Spoiler for Hiden:
When Kirk, Carol and Scotty get beamed back into the brig.

I swear there was a Mon Calamari manning the station.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »

I'm just about to hit the road to the theater. If I had thought about it, i would've polled you all on what I should get for dinner at the theaters (pizza, hot dog, hot dog sliders, corn dogs, chicken nuggets etc. - or all those combined  drool). They're all awful for me, but a poll on it might've been fun.

I usually favor the slider dogs because I can parcel out the awfulness throughout the film.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 17, 2013, 02:33:19 AM »

Just got home. I loved it. And judging from the audience reaction, it hits the mark. icon_smile I may actually run back and see it with hopefully a larger Friday night audience tomorrow.

Of course this is JJ Abrams, so if you don't like frantic, swooping camera zooms and frantic editing and frantic frantic, and -- though less often, thankfully -- lense flare and the Budweiser brewery engineering room (also seen less often but I did see it), then you probably should save your money.

I loved the character interaction, the humor, the scope, and Cumberbatch. While I don't think it's TDK/Ledger level, I thought he's tremendous, and just magnetic on screen. A helluva lot more interesting villain than Bana as Nero.

The 3-D really does pop on this, and because JJ likes for the most part to be bright-bright-bright, I think that cuts through the dimness that 3-D projection tends to bring.

I'll stay out of the spoiler stuff for now. You really should enjoy what the movies throws at you with a fresh perspective.  icon_cool

The best thing I can say is that I didn't want the movie to end. It almost felt too short. I wanted to hang out with them a little while longer.  icon_biggrin And I don't feel like the ensemble characters get shortchanged.

And I didn't like Prometheus last summer, blaming a lot of that on Damon Lindelof. So I didn't come into Darkness as a fanboy really. I was really worried that Lindelof would muck it up. I eat crow.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:37:24 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: May 17, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »

I want to wait a few weeks for the crowds to die back, then go to a weekday matinee.

Wife wants to go during Memorial Day weekend.

Pray for me.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 17, 2013, 05:52:30 AM »

Go see Iron Man 3 now if you're interested.  Everyone will be watching the new hotness.  You can probably get a Sunday matinee to yourself.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 17, 2013, 05:52:30 AM

Go see Iron Man 3 now if you're interested.  Everyone will be watching the new hotness.  You can probably get a Sunday matinee to yourself.

That's what the wife and I are planning to do this weekend, hopefully.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 17, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 17, 2013, 05:49:36 AM

I want to wait a few weeks for the crowds to die back, then go to a weekday matinee.

Wife wants to go during Memorial Day weekend.

Pray for me.
if you want a smaller crowd, try a late morning weekend show. Those aren't generally too mobbed.

For me, half the fun of summer flix is seeing them with a large crowd that's really into it, at least once anyway.  Bring your own!

Playing
PC
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 17, 2013, 01:23:31 PM »

Just wanted to drop in and tell you all I'm not dropping in until I see this film so I can go in fresh.

...wait...did I just...

DAMN IT!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 17, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 17, 2013, 01:23:31 PM

Just wanted to drop in and tell you all I'm not dropping in until I see this film so I can go in fresh.

...wait...did I just...

DAMN IT!
In vaguest terms, my favorite parts of the movie are all about character - humor, friendship, anger, frustration, playfulness, etc. Hard to believe I'm lauding a film for that when it's written by the guys behind the Transformer films and Prometheus. Granted, for ST they already have characters with rich back stories but I feel like if they didn't give them good interplay, then it'd be wasted.

Yes, imho, the FX and stunt work is often brilliant, and breathtaking, and cotton candy for your eyeballs. See it on the biggest screen you can get to.  icon_smile But for me, it's really the characters and how they all interact that I had the most fun with and is why I might run back into the theaters tonight.  icon_smile

Because JJ really loves in your face closeups where someone's face is 80-feet high on a big movie screen, it should work well when it hits DVD too.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:07:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 17, 2013, 11:05:17 PM »

I highly recommend seeing this in IMAX.

Cumberbatch is a BAMF.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2013, 01:44:36 AM »

just saw it on IMAX 3D. Liked it a lot....
Had some holes as all movies do, but good none the less...
not too sure I like engineering though... not scfi enough for me...(didn't like the 1st one either)
one thing that really bugged me though...
Spoiler for Hiden:
So the Vengeance and Enterprise are fighting near the moon and... nobody notices? Even being on the other side of the moon, I would think they had sensors and whatnot to notice the fight and maybe send some ships to investigate? Do they normally leave Earth completely unprotected?
I also expected them to redesign the enterprise after it was wrecked.. Too be honest, I figured it was totaled...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: May 18, 2013, 03:20:42 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 17, 2013, 05:52:30 AM

Nah, that's a rental. I don't really like superhero movies, although I eventually see all the blockbusters anyway. I keep wanting them to be science fiction, and they keep being action/adventure -- which I fear is the direction that the new ST movies are going.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 18, 2013, 05:33:41 AM »

Pretty much.  It's hard to sell summer audiences on the philosophical meanderings that you would get from an earlier generation films and the series.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 18, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »

Anyone seen this in 2D yet? Maybe if I catch a 2D show, the theater will actually be crowded. Think the ticket prices are scaring folks off around here.

Gonna take my mom to a 2D, RaveXtreme show this afternoon. If I'm gonna keep seeing it, might as well see it on a variety of screens :-) And it's merely $12.75...

Hmmm, but the 3:40 IMAX 3d looks like it might actually get... Gasp.... crowded...  icon_smile
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:09:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 18, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 18, 2013, 12:29:00 PM

Anyone seen this in 2D yet? Maybe if I catch a 2D show, the theater will actually be crowded. Think the ticket prices are scaring folks off around here.

I saw it in 2D, because I don't enjoy movies in 3D.  I thought the movie was pretty awesome and I'm not a huge Trek fan.  It was interesting, though, how much I remember from the original Star Trek 2, such that I got all the calls back to it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 18, 2013, 11:56:33 PM »

Somebody stop him! 4 times in 4 days will break the space time continuum!

My mom and I caught a near sold out IMAX show, was cool.

Reminder - movie theater diagrams always have the screen (front of theater) at the top.

I got it reversed, I got us 6th row seats instead of seats six rows from the back. Doh!

Playing
PC
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 19, 2013, 03:52:26 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 18, 2013, 11:56:33 PM

Somebody stop him! 4 times in 4 days will break the space time continuum!

My mom and I caught a near sold out IMAX show, was cool.

Reminder - movie theater diagrams always have the screen (front of theater) at the top.

I got it reversed, I got us 6th row seats instead of seats six rows from the back. Doh!

I don't even understand why the theater has IMAX seats as close as some of them The first row in my theatre is about 15-20 feet from the screen... Not a good angle for 2D let alone 3D... "Maybe" if the front row had reclining seats that went flat, but even then...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 19, 2013, 03:55:18 AM »

Box Office Mojo suggests this may "underperform" domestically (estimates apparently down to $83M for the first four days vs initial $100M estimates), though it seems to be stronger internationally than it's 2009 predecessor.

While IM3's still gobbling box office, movin Darkness' release date back probably wasn't realistic, with the other big releases that week (Fast 6, Hangover 3). I'm sure 3D prices are scaring some people off. Outside of today's afternoon IMAX show, I just haven't seen the opening weekend crowds I expected. Though I noticed the same with IM3 and clearly it's making a zillion $.

Looking back at 2009, Star Trek was sort of first out of the gate that summer (May 8 ), so there weren't other big summer movie holdovers (Iron Man 2 was 2010 release) soaking up tickets, like IM3 and to some extent Gatsby today. Darkness has a bigger budget ($190m vs $150m for ST) and more expectations. I love the movie and want it to do well, so all this is a bit disconcerting.

Hopefully word of mouth will Help it. It did score an A on Cinemascore's moviegoer surveys.
http://www.cinemascore.com/.

And I've done my part, dammit!

"Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a box office accountant!"  icon_smile
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:58:57 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: