http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 06:08:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Star Trek 2, AKA Star Trek Into Darkness  (Read 21858 times)
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2012, 01:47:27 AM »

Although it wouldn't surprise me if it was Gary Mitchell, I doubt that anybody outside the Trekker universe will remember the character.

ETA: It would surprise me less than it would surprise me if he were playing Khan. I just don't think they would play that card so soon.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2012, 05:32:46 AM »

Yeah, I don't know. I think going with a returning villain,  that they're boxing themselves in a corner. It would have to be someone who's had enough of an impact on the franchise that everyone, not just fans, would know, and there aren't very many of those, so it narrows it down a lot as to who it could be. If they get too obscure, then it goes against the reason why they wanted to do a reboot in the first place, to get away from being tied up in canon details and it being accessible for new fans to the franchise. On the upside, at least with going with someone minor, they have someone to develop beyond their episode like WoK did for Khan.  If they'd have gone with something completely original, they wouldn't have this problem.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:37:47 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »

Okay, I've figured it out.  Clearly, the villain is Harry Mudd.

As to Mitchell,  I don't see it in the trailer at all, but there's no evidence that it's not him, either.  And even though he's only someone fans would know, his story would still resonate with non-fans.  

The only people who really give a crap about who the villain is are the people who know the history.  The rest of the audience won't care as long as it's a good villain.  Although, if it's Kahn, they will care and comparisons will be made.

I really don't think it's Kahn, by the way, but I do think they want us to think it might be.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 07, 2012, 05:32:46 AM

Yeah, I don't know. I think going with a returning villain,  that they're boxing themselves in a corner. It would have to be someone who's had enough of an impact on the franchise that everyone, not just fans, would know, and there aren't very many of those, so it narrows it down a lot as to who it could be.

yeah but when The Wrath of Kahn was released,people who had not seen the original series like me,had no idea who khan was,in fact it was much later i found out there was an actual episode that was the backstory....but the film still worked and its still my favourite Trek film

so i reckon they are doing the same thing here,only not going with Kahn,but yeah Mitchell...he has the Enterprise uniform on in one scene in the trailer,so unless they are going to introduce another person who feels he has been crossed by Starfleet..its got to be one of them and i am going Mitchell

as long as the audience get the gist in the film,like in WoK then it will work...hell,we get the gist just from the trailer Tongue

If they get too obscure, then it goes against the reason why they wanted to do a reboot in the first place, to get away from being tied up in canon details and it being accessible for new fans to the franchise.

They did have that Kobayashi Maru situation in the last film that is part of Trekkie lore

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »

True enough, and like I said, obscure or not, it's one way to develop a character more and have everyone be more familiar with it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 07, 2012, 01:33:20 PM

yeah but when The Wrath of Kahn was released,

KHAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!

the last film changed stuff, so I wouldn't assume anything about following proper Star Trek lore at this point.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »

Visual clue?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 10, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »

Well, now they're getting really cagey.

Apparently, Paramount released a photo with Cumberbatch's character name: John Harrison.  BUT it turns out John Harrison was a character who was nearly suffocated in "Space Seed" by Kahn Noonian Singh.

(Left to right) Zachary Quinto is Spock, Benedict Cumberbatch is John Harrison and Chris Pine is Kirk in STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS from Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions.

His not being Kahn better not turn out to be like the aliens not being Aliens in Prometheus.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »

Harrison (no first name) was in multiple episodes.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 11, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 10, 2012, 11:13:33 PM

Harrison (no first name) was in multiple episodes.

Could this actually be the Revenge of the Redshirts?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2012, 07:28:37 AM »

They also revealed that the blonde woman in the trailer is
Spoiler for Hiden:
indeed Carol Marcus.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 11, 2012, 08:19:39 AM »

I have the first series of Star Trek on my TiVo(and never seen the original series),looks like all my Internet looking up over Mitchell went to waste,time to watch that series

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 14, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »

Double Check the Full List of 288 IMAX Theaters Showing 9 Minutes of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Starting December 14
http://collider.com/star-trek-2-sequel-imax-theaters/217850/#more-217850
*Global list, not just North America.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 14, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 11, 2012, 08:19:39 AM

I have the first series of Star Trek on my TiVo(and never seen the original series),looks like all my Internet looking up over Mitchell went to waste,time to watch that series

WHAT!?!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 14, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »

Tongue

I only grew up with the Star Trek movies,never saw the series on TV(I still remember they were on BBC2 at 6pm every night-repeats obviously),not sure why,they just never appealed to me before

FWIW- I used to watch Dr Who as a kid,but wasn't that big on him(and the little i watched turned to nothing when Sylvester McCoy took over)...and I don't like Dr Who now(although i will admit i liked that Stone Angels episode)

I think it was just Star Wars i was into for my Sci-Fi kicks

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 14, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »

want to better understand the villain?  well...

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 14, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »

So they've learned nothing from last time?  Great.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 14, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 14, 2012, 10:21:09 PM

So they've learned nothing from last time?  Great.
From what I've read, JJ learned to tone down his lens flare fixation, and the engine room maybe looks less like a brewery or a septic plant. What more do you need, man???  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2012, 04:41:53 AM »

Them not expecting us to all be comic book geeks and have read the comic version of the Big Bad's I'm Mad At The Universe psychiatric evaluation. Tongue

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »

If anybody saw the 9 minutes last night, give up the details already  icon_smile
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:50:43 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 15, 2012, 06:41:20 AM

If anybody saw the 9 minutes last night, give up the details already  icon_smile

Underwhelming. Spoiler-ridden synopsis:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The footage opens with a seemingly-random little girl in a hospital in London, dying of a seemingly-random illness (I'm not sure either the girl or the disease are named). Her doctors tell her father that there is nothing they can do. Her grief-stricken father is standing around when Benedict Cumberbatch comes up behind him and says, "I can save her". The father asks, "Who are you?" and the scene ends.

Cut to Kirk and McCoy, covered head to toe in very grey robes, running through a field of very red plants from some very yellow aliens. It's all very colourful. Apparently, this has something to do with a volcano on the aliens' planet about to explode and kill them all. Kirk and McCoy are in costume because the Prime Directive forbids them from letting the aliens know they're about save them from the volcano by using a shuttlecraft to lower Spock (in some spiffy thermal armour) into its core with a doodad to inertify the magmic reactions (not what they said, but it's Star Trek, so you get the idea). Based on the look of the place, it's also possible they were trying to destroy the One Ring.

Unfortunately, after lowering Spock into the volcano, the shuttlecraft can't handle the heat, so it gets out of the kitchen and leaves Spock stranded down there. The Enterprise can't use the transporters to beam him out because it's hiding in the ocean (best line of the footage is Scotty, as soon as you learn where the Enterprise is, speaking for the entire audience when he tells Kirk "do you have any idea how ridiculous it is to hide a starship underwater?") and all the interference from the volcano means they'd need a direct line of sight to beam him up, anyway...which they aren't supposed to do because the aliens who failed to notice the shuttlecraft would definitely notice the Enterprise floating over a giant volcano. Spock says that Kirk should leave him to die because the needs of many outweigh the needs of the few. Kirk asks McCoy what Spock would do if their positions were reversed, and McCoy tells him Spock would let Kirk die.

Oh no, it looks like Spock is going to die! End of preview.

My opinion of the preview, then: the second scene is mostly irrelevant. It had the feel of a throwaway scene just intended to give them some pretty visuals and Kirk-being-chased-by-aliens action at the beginning of the movie (and maybe parallel Spock's Kobiyashi Maru non-death from the beginning of Wrath of Khan). If Spock is going to die, I highly doubt it's going to happen in so meaningless a fashion as to save a nameless bunch of non-spacefaring aliens in the first nine minutes of the movie. The earlier, shorter scene with Cumberbatch is slightly more revelatory, since we now know he's playing a doctor (or at least a pseudo-medical professional who can get into hospitals). His identity remains unknown but the introduction argues strongly for a Eugenics Wars / augment type storyline in general, since he's presumably about to engage in some illicit medical practicing. Bottom line, the preview neither informed me significantly nor excited me about the movie. I remain excited in general, based on the quality of the last one, but I wouldn't rush out to an IMAX theatre just to see that preview.
- Ash
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:56:44 PM by Asharak » Logged
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 17, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »

So Cumberbatch IS playing Harry Mudd after all.  Interesting...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »

New trailer out today.  Last line has to be a hint, yes?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 17, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 17, 2012, 05:55:25 PM

link to said trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ilfvdChMkw

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 17, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »

couple of observations about the newest teaser (note I haven't read Ash's spoilers or seen the 9 minute preview):

Spoiler for Hiden:
at 1:25, it sounds like Carol Marcus is yelling 'KKHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAN!'

Cumberbatch's voiceover really reminds me of Picard, especially for the last line.

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 17, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »

If it is it is about the most obscure hint ever.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 17, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 17, 2012, 05:57:48 PM

New trailer out today.  Last line has to be a hint, yes?

link to said trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ilfvdChMkw
Link was pulled due to copyright claim by Paramount. Any signs of an official link yet?

I refuse to read anything into the Fortune Cookie/Magic 8-Ball hint stylings of Lindelof and Abrams. It could be like "Super 8" or M. Night Shammy's "Signs," where you get all hot and bothered about a mystery and "what does it all mean!" when in the end it's "Aliens are bad guys!" Woop-de-doo! disgust icon_razz It just wouldn't surprise me if these various bread crumb hints are simply red herrings.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:50:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 17, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 17, 2012, 10:46:50 PM

Link was pulled due to copyright claim by Paramount. Any signs of an official link yet?

What am I today, your monkey?

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/

- Ash

PS> Two thoughts on it: no, what "Carol Marcus" screams doesn't sound like "Khaaaan". It sounds like a scream. Which is usually the sound "aaaa". Which is contained in "Khaaaan". That is where the similarity ends. Second, the last line is not new. It was heard in the previous teaser. And while it may be a hint, it's no less obscure now than it was then. Personally, I think it's just meant to establish a humanizing motive for the movie's villainy (he's doing horrible things for his family, isn't he sweet?).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2012, 11:27:42 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on December 17, 2012, 10:54:22 PM

- Ash

PS> Two thoughts on it: no, what "Carol Marcus" screams doesn't sound like "Khaaaan". It sounds like a scream. Which is usually the sound "aaaa". Which is contained in "Khaaaan". That is where the similarity ends. Second, the last line is not new. It was heard in the previous teaser. And while it may be a hint, it's no less obscure now than it was then. Personally, I think it's just meant to establish a humanizing motive for the movie's villainy (he's doing horrible things for his family, isn't he sweet?).

There are two screams.  The second one has a little bit more to it, though it's a bit of a stretch to say it's Kahn.

The last line was not in the original trailer.  It was in the Japanese version of the original trailer, though, along with the hands at the end (which in my mind is a bigger hint tease than any dialogue).

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 18, 2012, 12:00:45 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 17, 2012, 11:27:42 PM

There are two screams.  The second one has a little bit more to it, though it's a bit of a stretch to say it's Kahn.

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I watched the trailer again. I had never even noticed the first scream. The second, longer, actually-seen scream is the one I still say sounds like nothing more than someone actually screaming.

The last line was not in the original trailer.  It was in the Japanese version of the original trailer, though, along with the hands at the end (which in my mind is a bigger hint tease than any dialogue).

Point. I had specifically watched the Japanese version of the first one and I had assumed everyone on a forum this geeky had too, since it was available so easily and the fact that it had extra footage was so quickly publicized. On the topic of the "hands":

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm micro-analyzing here but, watching the hands scene again in this trailer, I think it's clear that Spock isn't the one who may be dying in that shot. He's standing on the far side on the far side of the glass, reaching down to touch the hand in the foreground -- and that's the person whose arm is horizontal, implying that they're on their knees. We don't actually know who that person is: it might be Kirk, who wore black a lot in the first movie, or even Cumberbatch's character, who wears black in the various trailer scenes (although why Spock would be consoling him is beyond me, as well). But I think Spock's posture by itself strongly implies that he isn't in ill health at that point.
- Ash
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:05:12 AM by Asharak » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 18, 2012, 02:28:25 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on December 17, 2012, 10:54:22 PM

- Ash
Monkey see, monkey do! Thanks.  icon_smile

Maybe Carol Marcus was Khan before a clever sex change operation performed by Gary with his special powers after he filed for his name change from Harrison. retard See? I know how Damon Lindelof's mind works  Bring your own!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:29:58 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 18, 2012, 02:28:25 AM

... how Damon Lindelof's mind works ...

I disagree with this. Truthiness!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2012, 09:39:25 PM »

Maybe she's screaming Caan.

Because I can,
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 18, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »

Slightly different trailer.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »

I like that trailer a lot! 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 19, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 18, 2012, 09:39:25 PM

Maybe she's screaming Caan.
Maybe it's "Han!" A Star Wars crossover?  retard

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 19, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »

only just got round to watching that new trailer

for the first minute or so i thought they had stolen the soundtrack for the Man of Steel Teaser trailer ..similar music and older voice talking(trying to give advice)

I just think they are trying to mind meld fuck us,with the Wrath of Khan stuff with what you guys are talking about and the hand thing that Bull mentioned

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 20, 2012, 12:03:11 AM »

I think so too. I think it's more likely that they're paying homage to it at this point.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 20, 2012, 01:10:15 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 19, 2012, 06:57:41 PM

only just got round to watching that new trailer

for the first minute or so i thought they had stolen the soundtrack for the Man of Steel Teaser trailer ..similar music and older voice talking(trying to give advice)

I just think they are trying to mind meld fuck us,with the Wrath of Khan stuff with what you guys are talking about and the hand thing that Bull mentioned

How do we know Spock isn't wearing a two-toned shirt, and he's reaching around a glass shield to press against .... his OWN HAND???!!!!  High five!

You won't fool me, JJ....

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2013, 01:04:56 AM »

new TV spot.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: