http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:46:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Star Trek 2, AKA Star Trek Into Darkness  (Read 22608 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »

I just think all scenes in a movie are better when you include crying indian, to be honest...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »

I have to ask, didn't you think it was a trifle unnecessary to see the crack in the indians bottom?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2012, 08:23:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 01, 2012, 08:13:03 PM

I have to ask, didn't you think it was a trifle unnecessary to see the crack in the indians bottom?

lol. score
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »

puns make baby jesus cry.   icon_frown

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 01, 2012, 03:12:53 PM

There's one villain and one villain only in the movie. I hardly believe it would suffer from too many origin stories since that number would always be...well...one.

I still believe in my earlier assertions.  although I'll watch it again soon, I've already seen it twice and had the same impression so I doubt that will change.]/quote]

Yep, it can't be weighed down by what wasn't there in the first place. It's quite obvious from the comic book that they spent a lot of time thinking about the backstory, only to cut it from the movie.  Anyway, I did watch it recently and the faults came across more strongly. I ultimately couldn't make myself care about Nero. And I'd argue that he was one of the main focuses as he was part of the reason why we were seeing this version of the crew.

As for the "you could explain it all in 10 minutes of footage" argument, unless you have an intimate understanding of the editing process, I don't think you can really say that with any authority.

And you can't say it couldn't.  The comic book presents Nero's back story in fairly short order.  Since a comic book is basically a storyboard presentation, I highly doubt they would have had difficulty in translating that economically to the screen.  But, as you said, I'm not an expert...and neither are you.

Yeah, what I described is pretty much verbatim as it happens in the comic book.

RE Kahn, the episode itself wasn't really needed to be seen as the movie properly explained their history, but because of it you could understand why Kahn would want revenge,  something this movie didn't even deal properly.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:54:30 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »

Am I the only who who didn't read the comic and understood Nero just fine and did not need any more background story than that?

A new one
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 01, 2012, 08:55:45 PM

Am I the only who who didn't read the comic and understood Nero just fine and did not need any more background story than that?

I'm with you. He hates Spock and blames him for the destruction of Romulus, what else do you need?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »

sigh...is this thing on?  Can anyone hear us?

As i just got done saying as recently as a few posts ago (and as far back as yesterday), no one is saying they didn't understand why he wanted spock dead, we're simply saying that they didn't explain it beyond a perfunctory, off screen item that made Greedo look like a Shakepearean villain.

Actually, I'm out.  Everyone's just going in circles at this point.  Nothing new has been added and I believe everyone has made their point.  I don't agree with some, they don't agree with others, and Ceekay loves puns.  I think that just about sums it up.  

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 01, 2012, 09:00:50 PM

As i just got done saying as recently as a few posts ago (and as far back as yesterday), no one is saying they didn't understand why he wanted spock dead, we're simply saying that they didn't explain it beyond a perfunctory, off screen item that made Greedo look like a Shakepearean villain.

Actually, I'm out.  Everyone's just going in circles at this point.  Nothing new has been added and I believe everyone has made their point.  I don't agree with some, they don't agree with others, and Ceekay loves puns.  I think that just about sums it up.  

In Episodes 4 and 5 (till the end of 5),  all we really know about Vader is that he was evil and betrayed and murdered Luke's father. And that was good enough to make Vader Badass. Then they go and fill in his back story more with Eps 6, 1,2, and 3 and look how piss poor that turned out.

So maybe I'm with the Eric Bana is lame crowd. And I like puns too.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2012, 09:06:46 PM »

Any new updates on what role Cumberbatch occupies in the sequel?

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »

Yeah, don't think anyone's really talking about the movie anymore at this point.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »

oh come on! I was making fun of Hark :-D

I was in the damn conversation myself a page or two back - Yoou can ghive teasing ,you cain thake teasing you hred-headed wixen! (That was my best Jakow voice) ;-)

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »

no worries, just felt we'd gone as far as we could.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 01, 2012, 09:06:46 PM

he's Nero's backstory personified.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 01, 2012, 09:26:12 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 01, 2012, 09:06:46 PM

he's Nero's backstory personified.

stirthepot

You'll note I've not said anything on the topic ... on account of Nero not being worth discussion. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 01, 2012, 05:01:25 AM »

TrekMovie has some 'confirmed' spoilers here about the return of a legend, Cumberbatch's role and aliens.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2012, 05:01:25 AM

TrekMovie has some 'confirmed' spoilers here about the return of a legend, Cumberbatch's role and aliens.

I thought it was great that they're making the main villain of the show this guy from the original series....

...and now I've had a chance to use that picture twice in two days.  my life is complete.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »

*sigh* That news depresses me. After all of the hype surrounding the new crew and alternate timeline, they don't bother using a new villain? Remind me why we're supposed to trust J.J's vision again? They go through all the trouble of setting it in an alternate timeline so they can start off fresh and so they don't have to have the baggage of decades old canon and continuity weighing them down, and the first thing they do is bring back a villain that's already been used twice. That really gives me a vote of confidence in their ability to be creative!  Head meets wall
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on May 01, 2012, 06:13:55 PM

*sigh* That news depresses me. After all of the hype surrounding the new crew and alternate timeline, they don't bother using a new villain? Remind me why we're supposed to trust J.J's vision again? They go through all the trouble of setting it in an alternate timeline so they can start off fresh and so they don't have to have the baggage of decades old canon and continuity weighing them down, and the first thing they do is bring back a villain that's already been used twice. That really gives me a vote of confidence in their ability to be creative!  Head meets wall

It could be used to highlight even more sharply the differences between this universe and the previous one.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 01, 2012, 06:31:10 PM

*sigh* That news depresses me. After all of the hype surrounding the new crew and alternate timeline, they don't bother using a new villain? Remind me why we're supposed to trust J.J's vision again? They go through all the trouble of setting it in an alternate timeline so they can start off fresh and so they don't have to have the baggage of decades old canon and continuity weighing them down, and the first thing they do is bring back a villain that's already been used twice. That really gives me a vote of confidence in their ability to be creative!  Head meets wall

It could be used to highlight even more sharply the differences between this universe and the previous one.

You mean in terms of how their first meeting could differ? I guess with Spock being back,  he could be the one pointing out how different things are.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:19:23 PM by Rumpy » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

They really need to put John Noble in the Star Trek movies.  If they'd gone with an older crew for the reboot, he would've made the perfect Bones.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »

Maybe, but I think Karl Urban does make a surprisingly good Bones. One of the brighter things about J.J's Trek. But if we're going with an older crew, I think Micheal Weatherly from NCIS would make a good Kirk. With his hair like this, he looks even a bit like Chris Pine and a hint of Shatner:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm98546176/nm0915762
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:53:08 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 01, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on May 01, 2012, 08:16:25 PM

*sigh* That news depresses me. After all of the hype surrounding the new crew and alternate timeline, they don't bother using a new villain? Remind me why we're supposed to trust J.J's vision again? They go through all the trouble of setting it in an alternate timeline so they can start off fresh and so they don't have to have the baggage of decades old canon and continuity weighing them down, and the first thing they do is bring back a villain that's already been used twice. That really gives me a vote of confidence in their ability to be creative!  Head meets wall

You mean in terms of how their first meeting could differ? I guess with Spock being back,  he could be the one pointing out how different things are.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.  Also, it's still earlier in their careers compared to when they discovered Kahn's ship.  Kirk is even more rash and impulsive.

As for Bones, I love Noble, but I think he's even too old for an older cast.  I also think Urban's doing a great job.  I hope he actually gets used in the next one.  Kirk and Spock are a nice pair, but it's sad losing the third part of the psyche.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:29:08 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:25 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 01, 2012, 11:27:23 PM

You mean in terms of how their first meeting could differ? I guess with Spock being back,  he could be the one pointing out how different things are.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.  Also, it's still earlier in their careers compared to when they discovered Kahn's ship.  Kirk is even more rash and impulsive.

Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Even so, the alternate timeline should be an opportunity to explore storylines that wouldn't have been possible before, not retread old ones. If they're using an old TOS villain, how exactly is that helping their cause of making a movie for those that aren't Trekkies? It just smacks of laziness when they could be doing so much more with their new playground. In other words, if this is not Daddy's Star Trek, as they've often phrased it with the media leading up to release of the first one, then why are they using Daddy's villain?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2012, 12:57:53 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on May 02, 2012, 12:03:25 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 01, 2012, 11:27:23 PM

Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it. Even so, the alternate timeline should be an opportunity to explore storylines that wouldn't have been possible before, not retread old ones. If they're using an old TOS villain, how exactly is that helping their cause of making a movie for those that aren't Trekkies? It just smacks of laziness when they could be doing so much more with their new playground. In other words, if this is not Daddy's Star Trek, as they've often phrased it with the media leading up to release of the first one, then why are they using Daddy's villain?

Joker was Daddy's villain for Batman back in the day, and I guess Star Trek's Khan is the closest thing to its biggest bad guy

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »

Last days of filming

Simon Pegg ‏ @simonpegg

The last days of a shoot are very much like the last days of school. Much japery and mischief. Someone's put sugar in the dilithium chamber.
Simon Pegg ‏ @simonpegg
As promised, Sherlock and Nicholas Angel simultaneously realise who the murderer is...

><><><><><><

and now Simon Pegg and Zachary Quinto have gone to Hooters
@ZacharyQuinto i am at a hooters in northern california watching a boxing game. i have never felt more at home.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:56:40 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »

Simon Pegg interview:

This time, Pegg isn’t the only Brit in the world of Starfleet. Benedict Cumberbatch has been cast as a villain. Pegg is full of praise for Cumberbatch’s baddy, whom he describes

as “not just another disgruntled alien. It’s a really interesting… sort of… thing,” he squirms. “Obviously I can’t talk about it.” Given internet rumours that Cumberbatch has been cast as Kirk and Spock nemesis Khan, will this be a very different “wrath of Khan” from the 1982 film of the same name? “It’s not Khan,” replies Pegg, annoyed. “That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not.”

Is that misinformation from the famously secretive Abrams camp? “No, I think people just want to have a scoop. It annoys me – it’s beyond the point to just ferret around for spoilers all the time to try to be the first to break them,” says Pegg, a fanboy’s fanboy who wrote an autobiography called Nerd Do Well and who seems to have forgotten that part of the thrill of being a comic book/film/sci-fi fan is about getting as many details as possible in advance. “It just spoils the film,” he complains. “It masquerades as interest in the movie but really it’s just nosiness and impatience. You just want to say, ‘Oh f--- off! Wait for the film!’”

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »

“It just spoils the film,” he complains. “It masquerades as interest in the movie but really it’s just nosiness and impatience. You just want to say, ‘Oh f--- off! Wait for the film!’”

what a c*nt!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »

fan made teaser trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a-13Ic19WUs
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:55:14 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 05, 2012, 08:20:48 AM

It's fan made, silly CK

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 30, 2012, 12:07:13 PM

“It just spoils the film,” he complains. “It masquerades as interest in the movie but really it’s just nosiness and impatience. You just want to say, ‘Oh f--- off! Wait for the film!’”

what a c*nt!!

i actually agree with him.  Very few films don't lose any of the experience when you know a bunch of stuff about them.  Trailers are bad enough, plot spoiler digging is over the top.  If you really want to enjoy a film at release, you should know very little about the overall plot and spoilers to get the most out of it.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is the perfect example.  The trailer ruined every cool moment in the film. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 05, 2012, 10:58:05 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 05, 2012, 08:20:48 AM

It's fan made, silly CK

fixed it, AICN reported it was official and looking at the comments it appears it may not have been labeled as 'fan made' right away.

Because I can,
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 05, 2012, 02:27:08 PM

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is the perfect example.  The trailer ruined every cool moment in the film. 

Also, the title. slywink

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »

Chris Pine (Kirk) is hawking his upcoming "People Like Us" movie, so the press junkets are ending up with a lot of questions about how Star Trek 2's filming. From Collider.com:

Chris Pine Talks the STAR TREK Sequel and How J.J. Abrams Chose Scenes That Will “Really Pop” in IMAX
http://collider.com/chris-pine-star-trek-2-sequel-imax/173659/#more-173659
Question: How is the new Star Trek film?

CHRIS PINE:  Oh, it’s good!  What am I going to tell you?  Those big films are scary things.  There’s so much money behind those things.  There’s that hype.  You enter a machine.  I’m just happy that the people behind it were such good, welcoming types.  J.J. [Abrams] runs that ship.  J.J. is a wonderful guy.  

What they bring to this kind of film is a small character-driven story, matched with robots or aliens or spaceships.  That’s a very hard thing to do, and a lot of people don’t pay attention to that.  It’s really interesting that, in The Avengers, the character that people relate to is The Hulk, and I think the reason why they relate to The Hulk is because he’s fragile and human and faulty.
I just hope Damon Lindelof tuned down his "Lost-ness" while writing the screenplay.  paranoid

Speaking of which, Collider also pointed out some Alex Kurtzman junk stuff on ST2:

Alex Kurtzman Talks STAR TREK 2
http://collider.com/alex-kurtzman-star-trek-2-sequel-interview/173549/#more-173549
At the Prometheus junket, Damon Lindelof told Steve (at Collider) that you guys built the ship so that all the hallways connect and you can leave the bridge and really walk around the Enterprise.  How cool was it for you to really walk around the ship?

KURTZMAN:  It was insane!

Did you make sure to film some extra long takes of the cast, walking and talking?

KURTZMAN:  That was the point.  J.J. was brilliant, in building the sets that way, because what he wanted to do was be able to play whole scenes without a cut, as you were literally moving through this huge, huge ship.  Just to walk on the set was incredible.  Scott Chambliss, who’s our production designer, built this glorious set.
Kurtzman and Orci are apparently already working on a sequel script for The Amazong Spider-Man, along with "reboots" of Van Helsing (the Hugh Jackman vehicle that didn't really click with audiences), and The Mummy (which basically ran out of ideas/steam).
=================
I was watching ST on cable last night. While I still quite enjoyed it, I did find myself wondering during the many scenes of the ship's innards -- why does it look like a beer brewery with radiation warning signs pasted onto the brewing vats?  icon_razz

I forgot where I read it, but I think I read they're rethinking the ship innards a bit in terms of set design, and Abrams at least joked he would maybe try to reign in his almost comically excessive use of lens flare, esp. during scenes on the ship's bridge.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:37:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2012, 07:33:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 17, 2012, 01:24:52 PM

I forgot where I read it, but I think I read they're rethinking the ship innards a bit in terms of set design, and Abrams at least joked he would maybe try to reign in his almost comically excessive use of lens flare, esp. during scenes on the ship's bridge.  icon_smile

Yeah, I can't imagine working there. In ST1 at least, you'd need sunglasses all the time just so you wouldn't go blind. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 18, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »

Abrams is shooting part of this movie with IMAX cameras.  FTMFW.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2012, 12:56:14 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 17, 2012, 07:33:42 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on June 17, 2012, 01:24:52 PM

I forgot where I read it, but I think I read they're rethinking the ship innards a bit in terms of set design, and Abrams at least joked he would maybe try to reign in his almost comically excessive use of lens flare, esp. during scenes on the ship's bridge.  icon_smile

Yeah, I can't imagine working there. In ST1 at least, you'd need sunglasses all the time just so you wouldn't go blind. biggrin
Thank god.  The first had so many moments of it that you'd think he got his inspiration from  Airplane 2's sound spoof of the original.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »

latest supposed reveal of who Cumberbatch is playing, this time by Karl Urban:

Spoiler for the villain is:
Gary Mitchell

I think it's going to be hilarious when it turns out he's actually playing:

Spoiler for Hiden:
a disgruntled janitor named William who has had enough of cleaning up Kirk's love stains.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »

I thought he was in the released list of characters he's not playing.

EDIT:  Here's the quote I was talking about:

Screenwriter Roberto Orci lists five characters who will not be in Star Trek 2. 

Those characters are Gary Mitchell, Charlie X, Ruk, Janice Rand, and The Borg - which is ramping up the excitement for Mr Cumberbatch actually being Khan...

The film opens May 17th 2013, so still a ruddy long wait!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:14:27 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: