http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:40:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Star Trek 2, AKA Star Trek Into Darkness  (Read 19025 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 08, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

Quote from: hepcat on December 08, 2011, 01:34:56 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on December 08, 2011, 01:31:46 PM

I'm convinced 80 year old Shatner has better things to do than run around a JJ Abrams ST production being blinded by camera flare FX.  

Then you don't really know the real Shatner.   icon_wink

I have actually met and acted with William Shatner.  I don't have a point to make.  I just wanted to get that out there.

It was the 70's.  You were both young(er) and needed the money.  I'm sure "So Many Men, So Little Time" isn't commercially available anymore, so you bringing it up is the only way folks would find out about it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 04:46:55 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 08, 2011, 02:58:05 PM

I'm convinced 80 year old Shatner has better things to do than run around a JJ Abrams ST production being blinded by camera flare FX.   

I have actually met and acted with William Shatner.  I don't have a point to make.  I just wanted to get that out there.

Oh yeah, well I had breakfast with DeForest Kelley! I wish he would move out of my closet.

He's undead, Jim!   icon_eek

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »

Thats pretty cool! I didn't know you wee an actor BullWinkle - Was it on one of his recent shows?

A new one
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 08, 2011, 03:18:42 PM

It was the 70's.  You were both young(er) and needed the money.  I'm sure "So Many Men, So Little Time" isn't commercially available anymore, so you bringing it up is the only way folks would find out about it.

I've seen 'So Many Men, So Little Time'. Bullwinkle was exceptional in it. He was.. lengthy, reliable, and explosive.  icon_razz icon_lol
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:35 PM »

You know, I always thought Bullwinkle had an "Adrian Zmedness" about him. I was right!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »

It was nothing you would ever have seen, unless you're Japanese and work for Sony.  It was a corporate gig.  A friend was writing it, and I begged her to let me do it.

I have to say, he was sharp, professional, clever and willing (which of course also helped in our shooting of "So Many Men, So Little Time").  However, he did Shatner me at one point when he flubbed something on stage and blamed it on me, though it was in jest.

While we're on the subject, anyone of you goons who are working in the video game industry, PM me so I can send you my voiceover reel!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 08, 2011, 01:16:28 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on December 08, 2011, 07:40:36 AM

Actually, I think it was started by those who run the Bring Back Kirk campaign. They figured it was a chance to try to get Shatner in a Trek movie one last time.

Again, Shatner.

And what's that supposed to mean exactly? Tongue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 06:12:19 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 09, 2011, 06:11:01 PM

Actually, I think it was started by those who run the Bring Back Kirk campaign. They figured it was a chance to try to get Shatner in a Trek movie one last time.

Again, Shatner.

Quote from: hepcat on December 07, 2011, 11:03:37 PM

My guess is that the rumor Shatner would be appearing in the new Star Trek reboot was started by....wait for it...Shatner.  I love the guy because he's so damn goofy, but the man is the ultimate salesman first and a cut rate actor second. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »

Let's face facts, Shatner (as charming and fun as he is) is a whore.  The man is shameless.  He'll slap his name on anything if it will earn him some cash.  If you get a chance to hear George Takei talk about Shatner (as he does often whenever he's on Howard Stern) you'll laugh your ass off at some of the stunts he's pulled for money.  The stories about what he does for cash at conventions alone are worth the price of admission alone.

I know it sounds like I don't like him, but actually I do.  You have to respect someone who's perfectly aware that they'll do anything for a buck and isn't ashamed of it.  But odds are that if you hear any news about him being cast in Abrams' Star Trek...it was most likely started by Bill himself.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 09, 2011, 06:12:19 PM

Again, Shatner.

My guess is that the rumor Shatner would be appearing in the new Star Trek reboot was started by....wait for it...Shatner.  I love the guy because he's so damn goofy, but the man is the ultimate salesman first and a cut rate actor second.  

Yeah, but that doesn't explain my question as the Bring Back Kirk campaign isn't run by Shatner, but rather an overzealous group of Kirk fans who've wanted to bring him back for some time now. It's the comment I replied to, so you're just pointing me in a circle.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:28:09 PM by Rumpy » Logged
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »

I believe what Hep is intimating is that it would surprise exactly nobody if the rabid Shatner fan group was in fact headed by the Shat himself.

Possibly in disguise but more likely not.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 07:43:17 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 09, 2011, 07:24:33 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 09, 2011, 06:12:19 PM

Again, Shatner.

My guess is that the rumor Shatner would be appearing in the new Star Trek reboot was started by....wait for it...Shatner.  I love the guy because he's so damn goofy, but the man is the ultimate salesman first and a cut rate actor second.  

Yeah, but that doesn't explain my question as the Bring Back Kirk campaign isn't run by Shatner, but rather an overzealous group of Kirk fans who've wanted to bring him back for some time now. It's the comment I replied to, so you're just pointing me in a circle.

Because it's meant to be a circular comment.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on December 09, 2011, 07:29:40 PM

I believe what Hep is intimating is that it would surprise exactly nobody if the rabid Shatner fan group was in fact headed by the Shat himself.

Possibly in disguise but more likely not.

Yeah, I could see that, but it isn't. They're a group of overzealous Kirk fans who were pissed off that he was killed off in Generations and have been trying to get him back into Star Trek ever since. They tried to bring him onto Enterprise. They tried to get him into J.J Abram's Trek. He's in their support of them, sure, but that's probably as far as it goes. Abrams himself admits that while it would have been nice to have him in it, they couldn't find a way for it to happen, but as far as things go, he wasn't aware of any fan campaigning and didn't get any calls from the studio.

I mean hell, If you were George Lucas and and you had a fan club that pretty much told the world how awesome you are, you'd probably just nod your head and agree with it, but it doesn't mean that he heads it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:02:03 PM by Rumpy » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »

Abrams, in an interview, had this to say about Shatner appearing in the first film:

ďIt was very tricky. We actually had written a scene with him in it that was a flashback kind of thing, but the truth is, it didnít quite feel right. The bigger thing was that he was very vocal that he didnít want to do a cameo. We tried desperately to put him in the movie, but he was making it very clear that he wanted the movie to focus on him significantly, which, frankly, he deserves. The truth is, the story that we were telling required a certain adherence to the Trek canon and consistency of storytelling. Itís funny ó a lot of the people who were proclaiming that he must be in this movie were the same people saying it must adhere to canon. Well, his character died on screen. Maybe a smarter group of filmmakers could have figured out how to resolve that.Ē

That doesn't prove that a group of fans did not try and get him into the film, but it does show you why it's easy to believe that those fans are actually just Shatner himself calling up Abrams nightly for three months and using a different voice each time.   icon_wink

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »

Hah yeah, I see what you mean. That does strike me as funny, though it's entirely possible that they're just extremely dedicated. It also does kind of cross the line a bit into possibly stalking him. But at the same time, if it were Shatner, you'd think Abrams would have figured it out, as some people are rather recognizable even if doing different voices.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:10:40 PM by Rumpy » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 08:10:38 PM »

I absolutely love that Shatner is such an ass.  Like I mentioned earlier, the stories that Takei (who REALLY dislikes the Shat) tells about working with the man are comedy friggin' gold.   Check out this extensive list of videos detailing just how much they hate each other.   

There are two entertainment figures that I think are just comically egotistical and will slap their name on virtually anything if the price is right:  Gene Simmons from Kiss and the Shat.  It's hilarious to hear them talk because they constantly are pitching themselves or projects/products they're involved with.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:12:21 PM by hepcat » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

Rumpy, your funny meter is broken. 

People are jokingly making absurd, ridiculous comments and you keep pointing out how absurdly ridiculous they are.  Are you maybe one of these BBK campaigners?  Or, more likely, Shatner himself?

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »

And thank you for being an ass, Bullwinkle. For the record, no, I'm not, but I've hung around Trek groups long enough to have heard news and I'm just saying what I've heard. I'm just saying what I've heard just like anyone else. If you want to bully someone, go pick on someone else.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:53:57 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 09:06:47 PM »

the Bullywinkle and Grumpy show!  ninja
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »

Roll Eyes

So not bullying.  Just trying to lightheartedly point out that people were joking.

I'm sorry you felt insulted.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:22:09 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »

Bring back Kirstie Alley!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 09, 2011, 09:18:52 PM

Roll Eyes

So not bullying.  Just trying to lightheartedly point out that people were joking.

Sorry, it was your tone that came out feeling anything but lighthearted, and that's why I went out on the defensive. But I'm willing to forget and move on.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 09, 2011, 08:44:41 PM

Rumpy, your funny meter is broken!  icon_lol

People are jokingly making absurd, ridiculous comments and you keep pointing out how absurdly ridiculous they are.  icon_wink Are you maybe one of these BBK campaigners?  ninja Or, more likely, Shatner himself?  paranoid

Voilŗ!
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 12:17:41 AM »

Dude, that's not helping things, especially after I've said that I'm willing to forget and move on. You're just adding salt to the wound.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 12:24:41 AM »

Wow.  I honestly and sincerely thought adding the smilies would make it plain as day how his post could be interpreted as being completely benign and friendly.  Maybe I should've gone with doing a take using an Elcor voice?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 01:24:49 AM »

People are jokingly making absurd, ridiculous comments and you keep pointing out how absurdly ridiculous they are. 

Haha...wait...we are?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 10, 2011, 01:24:49 AM

People are jokingly making absurd, ridiculous comments and you keep pointing out how absurdly ridiculous they are. 

Haha...wait...we are?

Shouldn't you be slapping your name on a new brand of prophylactics?

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 02:00:20 AM »

Just give him his stapler back and call it a day  retard
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 04:18:10 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 10, 2011, 12:04:51 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 09, 2011, 09:18:52 PM

Roll Eyes

So not bullying.  Just trying to lightheartedly point out that people were joking.

Sorry, it was your tone that came out feeling anything but lighthearted, and that's why I went out on the defensive. But I'm willing to forget and move on.

Okay, but just to be clear, there was no tone, and I'm really not sure how you saw any.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 05:05:02 AM »

Alright, if there wasn't any then I'm sorry I jumped at you. I guess the interpretation can vary on where one is sitting. Maybe you are right and my funny meter is broken. Heck, maybe more than that...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2012, 03:20:30 AM »

Sherlock Holmes joining the cast?

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/star-trek-sequel-hires-hot-british-actor/

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »

Christ he is starting to get popular,i didn't know he was in War Horse,makes me actually want to see it more now(despite it getting bad reviews,you should never dismiss a Spielberg film until you have seen -me thinks)

Simon Pegg twitter says he has now gone to L.A. to film Star Trek 2,he was upset because he would miss Sherlock  Roll Eyes

Star Trek 2 starts filming 15th January...annoying we have to wait until May 2013 to see the film,i hope the film doesn't lose any momentum with the last one being released in 2009

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:35 AM »

granted I'm not into guys, but I read 'hot british actor' in the web title, then see his picture and just think 'that's hot?'  bleh
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »

hot can also mean popular.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 05, 2012, 01:08:57 PM

hot can also mean popular.

And almost certainly does so in this case.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 05, 2012, 07:11:52 AM

Christ he is starting to get popular,i didn't know he was in War Horse,makes me actually want to see it more now(despite it getting bad reviews,you should never dismiss a Spielberg film until you have seen -me thinks)

Simon Pegg twitter says he has now gone to L.A. to film Star Trek 2,he was upset because he would miss Sherlock  Roll Eyes

Star Trek 2 starts filming 15th January...annoying we have to wait until May 2013 to see the film,i hope the film doesn't lose any momentum with the last one being released in 2009

War Horse = 78% on RottenTomatoes  I honestly hadn't seen any bad reviews until I looked it up.

I didn't know he was in it, either.  I like the guy a lot (I actually wish he had been cast as the Doctor over Matt Smith - I don't know that he was in the running or anything, I just think he would have been more interesting).  Plus, his name is awesome. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 05, 2012, 01:38:24 PM

I didn't know he was in it, either.  I like the guy a lot (I actually wish he had been cast as the Doctor over Matt Smith - I don't know that he was in the running or anything, I just think he would have been more interesting).  Plus, his name is awesome. 

oooh...interesting.  I hadn't even considered him for the role of the Doctor but I could easily see it now that I am thinking about it.  However, my only concern is that he would play it too much like Tenant.  I quite like Smith's child like take on the character.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 05, 2012, 02:34:50 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 05, 2012, 01:38:24 PM

oooh...interesting.  I hadn't even considered him for the role of the Doctor but I could easily see it now that I am thinking about it.  However, my only concern is that he would play it too much like Tenant.  I quite like Smith's child like take on the character.

That may be a reason for not casting him, I suppose.  Smith has definitely grown on me, but there's still something about him I find unappealing.  I know at first I didn't think he was focused enough.  He would wave his sonic screwdiver around haphazardly, as if to say, "This is a prop!"  But that's gotten better.  Maybe it's his utter lack of eyebrows.

I do know that they countered him perfectly with Pond.  She is extremely appealing and is the main reason I watch.

But, yeah, a guy with the name Benedict Cumberbatch just seems born to play a Time Lord!

Best name since Thurl Ravenscroft.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »

Wait, William Shatner was Boris Badenov?  How did I not know this?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »

Benedict can be a little tough to spot in some of his non Sherlock roles (different hair style/color, and sporting a mustache and wearing a WWII uniform and hat in War Horse):

imdb's Photos of Benedict Cumberbatch
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1212722/mediaindex

This casting bit oughta put to rest the idea they're slavishly remaking Wrath of Khan.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: