http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 12:38:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Star Trek 2, AKA Star Trek Into Darkness  (Read 16319 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:01:46 PM »

well, Star Trek 2 is under way, and with it starting production comes new casting news!

Peter Weller is on board with the previously announced Benicio Del Toro and Alicia Eve.  They keep saying Benicio will not be playing Khan, so maybe Peter Weller will?  icon_wink
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:23:34 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:13 PM »

Robokhan?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »

I'd really like to see Christopher Walken as Khan.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »

hopefully they're not casting for Chaka Khan

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

Or Ghengis Khan!!

Anyways, looking extremely forward to this - Loved the first one, and I think I've seen it....8 times by now. I hope by now everyone has spotted R2-D2 in the movie :-D

A new one
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »

Wonder if Abrams is going to exterminate all the Klingons this time?  Maybe we'll get Kirk and Spock in zero G suits using swords to cut through Khans men and firing shoulder mounted portable modified photon torpedo launchers into a supernova - oh wait; forgot we already did the supernova thing with the Romulans.  Hmm.  Black hole?  No, did that too...  Maybe Khan should have stolen Borg tech - ah, crap.  Well, we'll work out the details later but I see lots of lens flares and exciting combat, cause that's what TREK was all about!  disgust
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »

Damn you Abrams for injecting fun back into Star Trek!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »

OK, so maybe no Benicio now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:34:54 AM »

Quote from: spigot on December 05, 2011, 09:27:44 PM

I'd really like to see Christopher Walken as Khan.

Jack Nicholson. Heeeeeeeere's...KHANI!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 06:46:38 AM »

Quote from: Rowdy on December 05, 2011, 10:02:29 PM

Wonder if Abrams is going to exterminate all the Klingons this time?  Maybe we'll get Kirk and Spock in zero G suits using swords to cut through Khans men and firing shoulder mounted portable modified photon torpedo launchers into a supernova - oh wait; forgot we already did the supernova thing with the Romulans.  Hmm.  Black hole?  No, did that too...  Maybe Khan should have stolen Borg tech - ah, crap.  Well, we'll work out the details later but I see lots of lens flares and exciting combat, cause that's what TREK was all about!  disgust

You mean like Star Trek: First Contact, where Picard, Worf, and Hawk cut through Borg in zero G suits?  Or when Star Trek 2, 6, First Contact, and Nemesis all had exciting combat?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:32:18 AM »

Quote from: Rowdy on December 05, 2011, 10:02:29 PM

Movies, and stories of movies have evolved - These are no longer the stories you watched in the 60's, since they are no longer relevant, neither is the pacing of the 60's, or even the 70's and 80's. This is now, and thus the new movies reflects this period of time in human history, and is not a throwback to what you might think were simpler times.

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »

Someone on aintitcool.com made me laugh by mentioning that Khan should be played by Luis Guzman.  

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:32:48 PM by hepcat » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »

Just curious, but why does everyone think this new film will have the character Khan in it? Has there been an announcement to that effect, or are people just basing that on Khan being a central character in the original ST2?

I'm pumped for this - I own the Star Trek reboot and my kids and I still enjoy watching it every other month.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

This was reported today on SyFy:

Vulture reports that negotiations with Del Toro actually fell through last Wednesday over a question of money. (Um, when is it not about that?)

They also heard "from a highly placed source" that it is indeed Khan who will be the Trek sequel's Big Baddie.

Of course its still just rumor and possibly a smokescreen for all we know, so take it for what its worth.

heres the link to the article:    http://blastr.com/2011/12/khan-is-in-but-benicio-de.php

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 06, 2011, 04:00:59 PM

Just curious, but why does everyone think this new film will have the character Khan in it? Has there been an announcement to that effect, or are people just basing that on Khan being a central character in the original ST2?

I'm pumped for this - I own the Star Trek reboot and my kids and I still enjoy watching it every other month.

After I watched Batman Begins for the first time, I immediately thought that Nolan had to include the Joker at some point. Thought the same about Khan when I saw the new Star Trek movie

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »

Khan was a guy who was in one episode of TOS and then showed up in a later movie. He's not like an ongoing ST nemesis. They encounter him by chance in TOS, and I think it would be weird if they also encounter him again in the alternate timeline, unless it's a completely different origin story for him.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 08:39:39 PM »

You know... They should bring Khan back. He's part of the Trek mythos, regardless of his small role in the original TV series. Frankly, he's still the best Trek villain.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 06, 2011, 08:20:56 PM

Khan was a guy who was in one episode of TOS and then showed up in a later movie. He's not like an ongoing ST nemesis. They encounter him by chance in TOS, and I think it would be weird if they also encounter him again in the alternate timeline, unless it's a completely different origin story for him.

Well, I think the goal is to pay homage to the original series timeline while still treating this iiteration as a reboot.

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 06, 2011, 08:39:39 PM

You know... They should bring Khan back. He's part of the Trek mythos, regardless of his small role in the original TV series. Frankly, he's still the best Trek villain.

Not for me!

Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 06, 2011, 08:40:45 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 06, 2011, 08:20:56 PM

Well, I think the goal is to pay homage to the original series timeline while still treating this iiteration as a reboot.

Not for me!

That is pretty horrid looking. What is that thing? Leech Ape Man?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »

icon_eek

I'm going to need your nerd card back, pr.  That's the Salt Vampire, man!

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »

They should bring back tribbles. But in this version they are ferocious beasts. But only when you feed them after midnight.

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »

Yeah, the salt vampire scared me too when I was a kid.

The space monster that really scared the crap out of me when I was kid was the tentacle beast from the Space: 1999 episode Dragon's Domain.

Laughably bad now but the thought of that thing kept me up several nights after seeing that episode.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 06, 2011, 08:53:48 PM

icon_eek

I'm going to need your nerd card back, pr.  That's the Salt Vampire, man!

Occupy Ferenginar!!

Do I get my nerd points back?  icon_razz
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 06, 2011, 09:29:24 PM

Quote from: hepcat on December 06, 2011, 08:53:48 PM

icon_eek

I'm going to need your nerd card back, pr.  That's the Salt Vampire, man!

Occupy Ferenginar!!

Do I get my nerd points back?  icon_razz

i' ve never been a fan of the ferengi.  They always seemed...too goofy.  Give me the cardassians or the romulans any day of the week.   the klingons also never struck me as being a fully idealized race.  they attempted to address that in star trek enterprise by highlighting the science sector of the klingon empire in a few episodes, but i always saw them as vikings who stumbled onto a warp core and learned how to turn them into starships using longboats as their chassis...in other words, not terribly believable.  and yes, I know that this is star trek we're talking about, but everything has its limits of believability.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »

icon_lol
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »

icon_lol icon_lol

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 02:25:18 AM »

They better not. They kept on saying they wanted to set the 2009 movie in an alternate timeline, precisely to get away from the confining nature that was the original timeline because it got too complicated. By reintroducing Kahn, they'd undermine the whole point of the reboot, and they'd also be undermining their credibility in the ability to come up with anything new. They've created an alternate timeline; they should use that opportunity to tell new stories that otherwise wouldn't have been possible with the original crew.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 06:25:55 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 06, 2011, 08:45:00 PM

IIRC that was a salt vampire that leeched the sodium out of animals bodies. Been a long, long time since I watched that epiosode, so I'm far from 100% about that.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 06:31:33 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 07, 2011, 02:25:18 AM

They better not. They kept on saying they wanted to set the 2009 movie in an alternate timeline, precisely to get away from the confining nature that was the original timeline because it got too complicated. By reintroducing Kahn, they'd undermine the whole point of the reboot, and they'd also be undermining their credibility in the ability to come up with anything new. They've created an alternate timeline; they should use that opportunity to tell new stories that otherwise wouldn't have been possible with the original crew.

That's what I'm thinking, but I've also read the rumor that William Shatner will be appearing in 1 of the new movies. Can't imagine how they'll fit that in and what role he'll play, but no matter what, yah know that's just gotta be.......weird or what!  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:35:54 AM by kronovan » Logged
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 07, 2011, 06:25:55 AM

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 06, 2011, 08:45:00 PM

IIRC that was a salt vampire that leeched the sodium out of animals bodies. Been a long, long time since I watched that epiosode, so I'm far from 100% about that.

The most horrible part? McCoy wanted to get it on with that thing. Well, not really - but they were an item. Sort of smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »

Yeah but she looked a little different at the time.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 04:06:57 PM »

That's how Kirk saw her.

This is how McCoy saw her:

And how the unlucky red shirt saw her:

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 07:23:01 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 07, 2011, 06:31:33 AM

Quote from: Rumpy on December 07, 2011, 02:25:18 AM

That's what I'm thinking, but I've also read the rumor that William Shatner will be appearing in 1 of the new movies. Can't imagine how they'll fit that in and what role he'll play, but no matter what, yah know that's just gotta be.......weird or what!  Tongue

Yeah, that's been a rumour since before even the first one came out, but I think they've come out and said that it won't happen. It'd have to have been Kirk instead of Spock appearing for it to work.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »

My guess is that the rumor Shatner would be appearing in the new Star Trek reboot was started by....wait for it...Shatner.  I love the guy because he's so damn goofy, but the man is the ultimate salesman first and a cut rate actor second. 

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »

Actually, I think it was started by those who run the Bring Back Kirk campaign. They figured it was a chance to try to get Shatner in a Trek movie one last time.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 08, 2011, 07:40:36 AM

Actually, I think it was started by those who run the Bring Back Kirk campaign. They figured it was a chance to try to get Shatner in a Trek movie one last time.

Again, Shatner.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 01:31:46 PM »

I'm convinced 80 year old Shatner has better things to do than run around a JJ Abrams ST production being blinded by camera flare FX.   icon_cool

While I'd be glad if they sifted around TOS episodes for inspirations or characters that might work better with a revamp, I really do hope they leave Khan and the Space Seed/Genesis stuff alone. For most fans, STII was the perfect ST film and there doesn't seem much point in trying to re-make that, re-do it or even "riff off of it" imho. Do something original or maybe take something that was just "OK" in the original series and make it special.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:33:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 08, 2011, 01:31:46 PM

I'm convinced 80 year old Shatner has better things to do than run around a JJ Abrams ST production being blinded by camera flare FX.  

Then you don't really know the real Shatner.   icon_wink

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 08, 2011, 01:34:56 PM

I'm convinced 80 year old Shatner has better things to do than run around a JJ Abrams ST production being blinded by camera flare FX.  

I have actually met and acted with William Shatner.  I don't have a point to make.  I just wanted to get that out there.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 08, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

Quote from: hepcat on December 08, 2011, 01:34:56 PM

I have actually met and acted with William Shatner.  I don't have a point to make.  I just wanted to get that out there.

Oh yeah, well I had breakfast with DeForest Kelley! I wish he would move out of my closet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: