http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:27:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Snow Crash  (Read 762 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »

yep, they're going to try and make a movie version.  Joe Cornish is set to write and direct, but it seems to be a pretty ambitious project for someone with such a short resume.  I've only seen part of Attack the Block and wasn't overly wowed with it, but I loved this book so I hope he at least pulls off a competent version.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:46:35 AM »

I quite liked Attack the Block, so I'm at least willing to give him a shot.  I haven't read Snow Crash in years, but I'm not sure a movie could live up to my impression when I first read it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »

Given the advancements in CGI and the story basically being told entirely from one person's POV, this should be doable.  Whether or not it leaves the same impression?  Who knows?  (kind of doubt it, though, unless they do some voice-over type thing).
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »

I still wonder what happened to the Diamond Age miniseries Syfy was working on. I like Stephenson and Snow Crash was the first of his novels that I read, but it wasn't my favourite by far.  I have to wonder if this would hold up as a movie.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:54:46 PM »

I've been considering reading Snowcrash. I haven't read Stephenson before, would it be a good place to start?

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 12:25:41 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on June 16, 2012, 11:54:46 PM

I've been considering reading Snowcrash. I haven't read Stephenson before, would it be a good place to start?

YES! Snowcrash is one of my all time favorite books so I am a bit biased. By all means check it out. It's smart, sarcastic, satyrical, and funny as hell.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 02:11:25 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on June 16, 2012, 11:54:46 PM

Snow Crash is probably the most accessible of his books. It's got some fantastic, interesting characters and writing.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 03:01:04 AM »

Has anyone read it recently?  Has it actually held up well?  I have a feeling that the 1992 virtual reality/cyber nonsense may feel a bit outdated 20 years later.  Wow, 20 years ago?   icon_confused

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 04:24:36 AM »

That's part of my worry. The book has some cool stuff going on, like the VR world as a vision of a 3D internet,  but I'm just not sure how well it would be received now, or how the humour would come through.

Actually, I'd argue that Zodiac would be his most accessable book, although it was written before he really got his style down and it's the most mainstream in style. Still really good though if you like that kind of stuff.

I'd actually really like to see Cryptonomicon made into a miniseries. That's my favourite book of his.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:57:07 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 05:30:10 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 17, 2012, 03:01:04 AM

Has anyone read it recently?  Has it actually held up well?  I have a feeling that the 1992 virtual reality/cyber nonsense may feel a bit outdated 20 years later.  Wow, 20 years ago?   icon_confused

I read it in 2010.  Really the political stuff (corporations taking over the world) seemed more dated than the cyberspace stuff.  I didn't find the virtual world any more absurd than the one in Metagame which was published in 2010.  Of course, Snow Crash is a much better book.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »

I don't know if Cryptonomicon would be a good miniseries, just because I think weaving the timelines together would be very challenging, and hard to follow...

Anathem, on the other hand... it's a fairly focused narrative, but epic scope... that is the one I've always thought would be good HBO miniseries fodder.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 17, 2012, 03:39:54 PM

I don't know if Cryptonomicon would be a good miniseries, just because I think weaving the timelines together would be very challenging, and hard to follow...

Anathem, on the other hand... it's a fairly focused narrative, but epic scope... that is the one I've always thought would be good HBO miniseries fodder.

Perhaps you're right, but I think the interweaving timelines would be the most fascinating part. It's not as if they're simple flashbacks like Lost, but fully realized timelines with their own progression, and I think they'd be suited well for a cinematic adaptation. Maybe not miniseries, as that would be a bit too condensed after thinking on it a bit, but a series where they would have time to tell the story and set their own pace. Part of the fun I had while reading it was finding out the roles of these characters from both timelines and how they fit into the grander scope of things, and they were interesting characters. And then there's Enoch who appears in both. That'd be a bombshell for the viewers. I think there's a lot of content there for making a good TV show at the very least.

And you're right about Anathem too. That to me came across feeling like a sci-fi LOTR, with this epic journey across the land. The thing that would be hard to convey though is the language. Before reading it, I had heard complaints that it was a difficult read due to the new language that was created, but maybe it was just me due to all of the sci-fi novels I've read and coming into contact with a lot of jargon, but I didn't find it hard to read at all. The problem though is how to convey the language to the viewer since that's how they'd mostly be communicating.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 01:31:36 AM »

Wow, Kathleen Kennedy as producer! Thank you, thank you Paramount for being serious about taking this to the screen! Not that she hasn't been behind a few stinkers, but man-o-man is her resume ever impressive. With her behind this expect to hear some other big names become associated with it. My only hesitation about this is Joe Cornish as director, as he hasn't directed a lot. That he's also writing the screenplay adaptation though is a plus IMO - really liked his adaptation for The Adventures of Tintin.

As to whether the novel has become a bit too dated - for sure it's been dated, considering it was written a few years before the Internet was commercialized. That said, I think it had enough quirky characters and creative concepts that it'll translate into a very interesting and entertaining film. As well, to me the book had a sort of cinematic-action vibe to it, so in a way it was always meant for the screen. I see a lot of upside for this and I'm betting this turns out to be decent, if not very good.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »

I started reading the book last night.  Like it so far!

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 10:12:50 PM »

It's been a while since I read the book but I remember it being amazing until the ending at which point it became weird and much less amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: