http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 10:20:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Prometheus 2  (Read 478 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:13:02 AM »

written by Jack Paglen.

Just days after the one-year anniversary of Ridley Scott's "Prometheus," 20th Century Fox and Scott Free are turning to relative newcomer Jack Paglen ("Transcendence") to write the highly-anticipated sequel "Prometheus 2," TheWrap has learned.

Paglen has been rumored for the coveted gig for several weeks, though it appears that Scott has now signed off on his take and negotiations will quickly lead to a deal, according to an individual with knowledge of the project.

I wonder if Lindelof will swoop in to rewrite again....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:15:25 AM »

Y'know, it certainly wasn't great, but I'd still take it over any of the other films post-Aliens from that universe.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »

I'm hoping that in the sequel, the Engineer survived the alien octopus attack, finds a
Spoiler for Hiden:
hockey mask
in the wreckage of Charlize's pleasure pod, and makes his way to earth to terrorize teenagers at a remote campsite.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:30:17 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 18, 2013, 02:44:14 PM

I'm hoping that in the sequel, the Engineer survived the alien octopus attack, finds a hockey mask in the wreckage of Charlize's pleasure pod, and makes his way to earth to terrorize teenagers at a remote campsite.
Dude, c'mon... spoilers!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »

Sorry, I fixed it.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »

Rosebud is a sled.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »

well i liked the first one

Spoiler for Hiden:
-Okay the ending was bullshit,i was just getting into it and it ended,i have not felt so disappointed at an end of a film like that for a long time,i think the popcorn fell back out of my mouth as i sat there agape staring at the screen when the credits started to roll

-and yeah,Okay Charlize Theron's death scene was dumb as fuck-ROLL SIDEWAYS YOU DUMB BITCH!!

-and Guy Pearce was underused

-and yeah Noomi Rapace may of had anesthetic so she may not of felt her pain,but it still seemed far fetched her running down the corridor seconds after her 'cesarean' 

- and yeah...oh fuck off Tongue

so anyway i am really looking forward to this...I am a bit gutted that they are still at the 'getting someone to write it stage'..i thought they had started on this awhile back(maybe even before Tony Scott committed suicide,Ridley's brother ya see)

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 18, 2013, 05:35:35 PM

Rosebud is a sled.

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 18, 2013, 05:35:35 PM

Rosebud is a sled.

built by aliens!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:42:12 PM »

When sequels like this or, say, Ghost Rider 2, get talked about, somehow nobody ever asks the question... Why?  icon_razz

My memory is of putting on 3D glasses last summer, sitting through 2 hours of half-baked characters generally acting stupid, but not really realizing it until the FX were over.

I think what I actually want is a "reboot" of Prometheus. Is it Too SoonTMretard

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 07:46:15 PM »

I know it's a futile wish but I hope that Prometheus 2: Prometheus Harder somehow retroactively makes Prometheus better.

Sort of an Anti-Highlander 2 effect if you get my meaning.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »

For anyone who found Prometheus lacking, track down the cut scenes on Youtube.  In my opinion they vastly improved the movie and I have no idea why they were cut. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 04:29:10 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 18, 2013, 09:58:27 PM

For anyone who found Prometheus lacking, track down the cut scenes on Youtube.  In my opinion they vastly improved the movie and I have no idea why they were cut. 

Does she not run in a straight line?  Does the scientist not try to get all cuddly with the hideous monster?  Do the connections to Alien suddenly exist?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 19, 2013, 04:29:10 AM

Quote from: Lordnine on June 18, 2013, 09:58:27 PM

Does she not run in a straight line?  Does the scientist not try to get all cuddly with the hideous monster?  Do the connections to Alien suddenly exist?
No, characters still do dumb things but in a couple places you learn WHY they do dumb things.  There is generally more character development and a better understanding of peopleís motivations. 

I mentioned this is the old Prometheus thread but this is one example that would have been MUCH better with the cut content.
Spoiler for Hiden:
In the theatrical cut the Space Jockey/ Engineer wakes up and for no reason starts killing people.

In the deleted scene he actually has a brief conversation with the people in the room.  The Engineer is actually fairly calm until the Old Dude starts yelling that humans are their equals and that they are both like gods; at which point the engineer becomes offended and then attacks the people in the room.

For me this makes it perfectly clear as to why the Engineers would choose to exterminate the human race after their creation and added extra meaning to the movie.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »

That extra scene does make more sense as to why the engineer gets angry.  I don't think it justifies getting angry enough to kill everybody.  That still makes him seem like a psychopath.  Plus I still have issues with their decision to wipe out Earth.  Why?  How do they know what the people of Earth have become?  Wasn't that engineer in suspended animation for a really long time?  For some reason I was thinking that those ships had been like that for hundreds or thousands of years. 

Still, nothing about that script made sense.  The engineers created life on our planet and possibly other planets.  They leave clues for us to go to this planet and find them and when we do it's actually just their biohazard stockpile planet where they were planning our doom.  Huh?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 19, 2013, 09:34:45 PM

That extra scene does make more sense as to why the engineer gets angry.  I don't think it justifies getting angry enough to kill everybody.  That still makes him seem like a psychopath.

+1 

The movie fell apart altogether at that point for me.  Before that scene I held out hope we were going to see a decent, thinking man's sci fi film.  But when that happened, it just became a mediocre, run of the mill alien horror film, with better than average cinematography the only thing keeping it afloat.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 12:08:30 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 19, 2013, 09:34:45 PM

That extra scene does make more sense as to why the engineer gets angry.  I don't think it justifies getting angry enough to kill everybody.  That still makes him seem like a psychopath.  Plus I still have issues with their decision to wipe out Earth.  Why?  How do they know what the people of Earth have become?  Wasn't that engineer in suspended animation for a really long time?  For some reason I was thinking that those ships had been like that for hundreds or thousands of years. 

Still, nothing about that script made sense.  The engineers created life on our planet and possibly other planets.  They leave clues for us to go to this planet and find them and when we do it's actually just their biohazard stockpile planet where they were planning our doom.  Huh?
I looked at it like this; humanity was little more than a curiosity.  Letís say you had an ant farm then, and one day the ants became advanced enough to talk face to face with you.  Instead of revering you the ants said that they were your equal in every way.  Would you welcome the ants with welcome arms or would you be insulted?  And to that end, how guilty would you feel for killing a few ants?

Or you can look at it this way.  You created life.   Knowing that it would evolve you wanted to create a failsafe in case it evolved too much.  If the life stayed on its planet then fine, you could study it from afar as a science experiment.  However, if the life became advanced enough to seek you out then that meant that one day it might pose a threat to you.  In that case, isnít it better to setup a trap to wipe them out before they became powerful enough to put you in danger?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 01:21:10 AM »

I wouldn't pursue an ant to the point of endangering my life.  That scene, even with the backstory, is a horribly written piece of drek.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 20, 2013, 12:08:30 AM

I looked at it like this; humanity was little more than a curiosity.  Letís say you had an ant farm then, and one day the ants became advanced enough to talk face to face with you.  Instead of revering you the ants said that they were your equal in every way.  Would you welcome the ants with welcome arms or would you be insulted?  And to that end, how guilty would you feel for killing a few ants?
I'd say they'd no longer be ants and I'd certainly not be able to look at them as ants.  And if I killed them as ants then I'd have to look at myself as a child. 

Or you can look at it this way.  You created life.   Knowing that it would evolve you wanted to create a failsafe in case it evolved too much.  If the life stayed on its planet then fine, you could study it from afar as a science experiment.  However, if the life became advanced enough to seek you out then that meant that one day it might pose a threat to you.  In that case, isnít it better to setup a trap to wipe them out before they became powerful enough to put you in danger?

This seems more in line with what happened in the movie and is the only theory offered up that could even explain the weird actions of the story.  It's a very interesting idea that the engineers created us with the idea that they would one day kill us all.  I still think it's a very unsatisfying story idea, but it's only one of many problems I had with this movie.  So many problems. 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »

My biggest problem with Prometheus was the sheer stupidity in the actions of pretty much every character in the movie.  it seemed like any time a scene took place, you could predict the characters actions by asking yourself, "Whats the dumbest thing I could possibly do in this situation?"   
 Visually, the movie was great, hopefully in Prometheus 2, they can combine those great visuals with a good script.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 20, 2013, 01:36:25 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on June 20, 2013, 12:08:30 AM

I'd say they'd no longer be ants and I'd certainly not be able to look at them as ants.  And if I killed them as ants then I'd have to look at myself as a child. 

This seems more in line with what happened in the movie and is the only theory offered up that could even explain the weird actions of the story.  It's a very interesting idea that the engineers created us with the idea that they would one day kill us all.  I still think it's a very unsatisfying story idea, but it's only one of many problems I had with this movie.  So many problems. 

This reminds me of another story where a guy got some kind of power that belonged to the gods, and they got all pissed at him and something about a bird and liver...

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

So was the engineer at the beginning a rogue who was sneaking away his DNA to start life on other planets and these guys were the cleanup crew millions of years later?

I hate to say that I never thought of the extremely obvious connection until Bullwinkle made it for me, but does that mean that the guy(s) at the beginning were going against the greater power?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 20, 2013, 02:41:48 PM

So was the engineer at the beginning a rogue who was sneaking away his DNA to start life on other planets and these guys were the cleanup crew millions of years later?

I hate to say that I never thought of the extremely obvious connection until Bullwinkle made it for me, but does that mean that the guy(s) at the beginning were going against the greater power?

Prometheus was actually a Titan himself who gave fire to the humans, IIRC, so that would fit.  I think.  I'm not sure I remember the movie well, actually.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »

Prometheus created man and then went behind Zeus' back and gave man fire. In the movie the engineer gave his source DNA (I'm assuming that's what he was doing at the beginning of the film) to an unnamed planet and created life.  So was that the Prometheus reference or was it because he wasn't supposed to be doing it and there was going to be hell to pay? 

Like I said, that's kind of interesting, but it doesn't make a bad script/story good.  And as has been said, the cinematography was most definitely fantastic.  Scott is still a master behind the camera, but you have to give him something good to work with. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: