http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:07:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Pacific Rim  (Read 5004 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2013, 07:44:37 PM »

Seeing as it's coming in 3rd this weekend behind Despicable Me 2 and Grown Ups 2, here's hoping it's got a long tail and strong word of mouth to keep it around. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 14, 2013, 07:44:37 PM

Seeing as it's coming in 3rd this weekend behind Despicable Me 2 and Grown Ups 2, here's hoping it's got a long tail and strong word of mouth to keep it around. 

1. I'm encouraged that the spread between the top three isn't very significant
2. Overseas box office take will likely be HUGE
3. Turbo will likely take the top spot next week (ugh), but I predict Pacific Rim will stay in the top three for many weeks to come.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2013, 02:32:24 AM »

Just saw this with my 11yr old and we liked it. I knew what to expect coming in and I was not disappointed. Great effects and character design along with some cheesy humour and an interesting story.

Put it this way - I liked this better than Iron Man 3 !

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 14, 2013, 04:40:38 AM

Just saw it today and thought it was awesome.  Some small criticisms, but overall it's the best kaiju movie in a long time.  Some cheesy bits but overall was still a great ride.  I can't wait for the flood of copy kaiju movies.  biggrin

Here you go!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 15, 2013, 02:14:07 PM

Just saw it today and thought it was awesome.  Some small criticisms, but overall it's the best kaiju movie in a long time.  Some cheesy bits but overall was still a great ride.  I can't wait for the flood of copy kaiju movies.  biggrin

Here you go!
I don't think we can count Asylum as they make mockbusters for EVERYTHING.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »

20 years ago (heck, even 10 years ago) Atlantic Rim would've been Hollywood level effects though.  It's amazing how much of an impact computers have had on the film industry.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 15, 2013, 02:37:12 PM

Here you go!
I don't think we can count Asylum as they make mockbusters for EVERYTHING.

Yeah, I'm sure that will be terrible like all Asylum movies, but at least they fight in the daylight where you can see the monsters.   ninja

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:02 AM »

Saw it today.

Thought the lead was kind of terrible and the film was full of tropes, but I cannot understand how this isn't the #1 movie in America.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2013, 02:48:42 AM »

Here you go!

Uh... for an Asylum movie, that actually has pretty decent CGI.  saywhat
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »

I saw this last night and I still have the stupid grin on my face.  There were tons of silly plot points, things that make no sense, etc but it was just so unabashedly fun that I can't help but love it. 

There was a surprising amount of character development which was nice.  Yes it was rather predictable, rather stereotypical but it was still nice to have some reason to care about our heroes. 

All in all it was well worth seeing and I hope it makes a mint so Del Torro gets freedom to do anything he wants.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »

If you grew up at a certain point in New England, and spent your youth watching Force Five and Creature Double Feature, this movie is a MUST see.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2013, 03:31:45 PM »

New England is now Japan? 

Tongue

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2013, 03:53:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 18, 2013, 03:31:45 PM

New England is now Japan? 

Tongue
What a weird jump to make.  My comment was as someone that grew up in NE, I don't see how you would take away from it that NE was the inspiration for the movie, that is clearly 60s/70s Kaiju movies along with the Go Nagai Super Robot cartoons (he's thanked in the credits too btw)   Anyhoo, Force Five was bizarrely mostly shown only in NE in the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Five 

And for good measure Creature Double Feature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--ayWTBWi0

And you should know all this because I see you in the QT3 thread too  paranoid
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »

What an odd thing to take offense to.   icon_confused  

I would've thought the raspberry emoticon would make it clear it wasn't a serious question.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:05:12 PM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 18, 2013, 03:53:24 PM

And for good measure Creature Double Feature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--ayWTBWi0

that kind of looks like what we had in Cleveland on Saturday afternoon, hosted by Superhost.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »

I remember Superhost.

But Big Chuck and Little John we're the kings (well...at least after Ghoulardi left town).

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2013, 12:38:46 AM »

While 38-year-old me was rolling his eyes, 12-year-old me just saw the greatest movie ever made.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2013, 02:56:47 AM »

this was the best American-made,-mostly/kinda-live-action-film-adaptation-of-no-specific-anime/manga-in-particular i've seen. Del Toro really got the feel of it in some parts.

i too noticed some strong Evangelion parallels - i thought early on the concept of a power cord being pulled from its socket would come up at some point, and sure enough..
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2013, 04:46:19 AM »

new england? evangelion?  screw you guys i guess im NOT going to the beach tomorrow, its an early afternoon showing of this complete with popcorn and slurpees

who am i kidding im a sucker for all of del toros stuff so i was going to see it eventually...
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »

I saw this in IMAX 3D earlier this afternoon. While the grown-up part of me is whispering in the back of my mind that Pacific Rim is a ridiculously over-the-top example of Hollywood excess, I can barely hear that over my inner 12-year old screaming that it was awesome!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »

Whatever its merits, Pacific Rim is a domestic box office disaster of epic proportions ($190M budget, $84M in North America, only $7.5M this past weekend):
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim.htm

It has pulled in $140M in foreign markets, so the overseas biz may at least get it to the break even point (usually you tack on maybe $100M or more in marketing costs when calculating that) and prevent it from being a Lone Ranger-size disaster. It's getting out-grossed by Grown Ups 2, which is... sad.

My college pal and I were going to see Pacific Rim Saturday, but most theaters in our area seem in a rush to pull it off screens so it just wasn't on a truly big screen near us any more. I would've caught it opening weekend, just didn't expect its star to fall so fast, so to speak.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 29, 2013, 02:38:35 PM

Whatever its merits, Pacific Rim is a domestic box office disaster of epic proportions ($190M budget, $84M in North America, only $7.5M this past weekend):
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim.htm

It has pulled in $140M in foreign markets, so the overseas biz may at least get it to the break even point (usually you tack on maybe $100M or more in marketing costs when calculating that) and prevent it from being a Lone Ranger-size disaster. It's getting out-grossed by Grown Ups 2, which is... sad.

My college pal and I were going to see Pacific Rim Saturday, but most theaters in our area seem in a rush to pull it off screens so it just wasn't on a truly big screen near us any more. I would've caught it opening weekend, just didn't expect its star to fall so fast, so to speak.

It's not a disaster, RIPD is a disaster.   PR may still turn a profit WW (going to be close) and should be more than ok with merchandise and home release.  This will sell a nice amount of Blu-Rays I think.  Still a sequel is going to be quite the longshot, but hey Dredd might get one, so who knows.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2013, 08:26:35 PM »

I can't believe it's doing so poorly.  Everyone that I know that's seen it thought it was awesome.  I figured word-of-mouth would bring the box office up.  Such a great summer blockbuster (brainless fun) movie. 

Bummer it's not doing better.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »

Fan made "Toho" trailer.  This just makes me want to see it again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Qygyy4204
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »

Pacific Rim continues to do well overseas, and it is WB's largest movie opening ever in China, trouncing Harry Potter.  An interesting comment from the article:

The result is that screenwriter Travis Beacham (who had the original idea which also resulted in Legendary’s homegrown graphic novel) and co-scribe/director Guillermo del Toro’s film will likely have a sequel. No one is yet saying this movie is going to turn a profit due to the high cost of its Industrial Light & Magic CGI which sent the budget to $180M-$220M.  Unfortunately, U.S. theatrical sales are not expected to exceed $100M all in so overseas coin was crucial. But international was always a big part of Pacific Rim‘s strategy in a crowded summer marketplace. Through Tuesday, the pic’s foreign cume is $144.7M from 52 territories and its worldwide total is $229M. As I’ve said before, Legendary’s mega-financier Thomas Tull has the luxury of mining this marginal outcome into a franchise. Warner Bros underwrote 25% of the film and receives the global distribution fees.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2013, 05:25:33 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 30, 2013, 01:41:05 AM

Fan made "Toho" trailer.  This just makes me want to see it again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Qygyy4204

damn, they should buy that and use it for future advertising.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2013, 03:05:43 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 01, 2013, 03:57:35 PM

Pacific Rim continues to do well overseas, and it is WB's largest movie opening ever in China, trouncing Harry Potter.  An interesting comment from the article:

The result is that screenwriter Travis Beacham (who had the original idea which also resulted in Legendary’s homegrown graphic novel) and co-scribe/director Guillermo del Toro’s film will likely have a sequel. No one is yet saying this movie is going to turn a profit due to the high cost of its Industrial Light & Magic CGI which sent the budget to $180M-$220M.  Unfortunately, U.S. theatrical sales are not expected to exceed $100M all in so overseas coin was crucial. But international was always a big part of Pacific Rim‘s strategy in a crowded summer marketplace. Through Tuesday, the pic’s foreign cume is $144.7M from 52 territories and its worldwide total is $229M. As I’ve said before, Legendary’s mega-financier Thomas Tull has the luxury of mining this marginal outcome into a franchise. Warner Bros underwrote 25% of the film and receives the global distribution fees.

I really think once they count the home video market and licensing on top of the overseas box office, there is no way this doesn't make money.  At least I hope!  I definitely want to see this be successful enough for a sequel.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2013, 03:50:18 PM »

it'll be funny if Battleship makes more money than this.  and by funny I mean sad, yet funny.

Because I can,
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »

Saw it last night.  I has always wondered what it would be like if you gave the greenlight to make a movie like this to a competent person instead of Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich.  It turns out if you do that you get a hell of a movie that isn't filled with pointless explosions, bad humor or groan-inducing stupidity.  It really pisses me off that this movie isn't raking in the cash.  This is all that I hoped it would be.  It's not Othello, but it was extremely entertaining from start to finish and God bless them for giving Idris Elba a major role in a blockbuster.  That man is awesome. 
1.  Don't ever touch me again.  2.  Don't ever touch me again. 
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 02, 2013, 04:02:15 PM

Saw it last night.  I has always wondered what it would be like if you gave the greenlight to make a movie like this to a competent person instead of Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich.  It turns out if you do that you get a hell of a movie that isn't filled with pointless explosions, bad humor or groan-inducing stupidity.  It really pisses me off that this movie isn't raking in the cash.  This is all that I hoped it would be.  It's not Othello, but it was extremely entertaining from start to finish and God bless them for giving Idris Elba a major role in a blockbuster.  That man is awesome. 
1.  Don't ever touch me again.  2.  Don't ever touch me again. 

I think the marketing was the culprit. It had such a weird Power Ranger look when the first trailers popped up I believe it turned people off. I went because my kid wanted to see it - I wasn't all that interested but I ended up absolutely loving it.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »

October 15th is the blu ray/dvd release date.  on the plus side, it did do better than Battleship by just over $100 million biggrin

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »

L O V E D IT!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

Just watched it last night, and liked it a lot more than I expected to. 
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 11, 2013, 03:23:55 PM

Just watched it last night, and liked it a lot more than I expected to. 

Now just imagine having seen it in IMAX!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »

missed it in the theaters, but liked it on blu ray.  granted, if I had paid full price for the theaters I may have felt a bit let down, but on the cheap it was good.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »

Everything Wrong With Pacific Rim In 9 Minutes Or Less

I agree with most of these observations.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »

but I want them now!

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »

Rumor is that PR is coming to Netflix soon.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 19, 2013, 04:44:28 PM

that's good.  I saw part of this over at a friend's house and what I saw was enjoyable enough, but they spent too much time talking.  all I wanted to see was giant robots beating the crap out of monsters.  I barely understood what the hell was going on, just that Charlie from Always Sunny was there and saying random science-y things and Mac wasn't there to mock him. 

it will probably help if we could hear half of what was being said or had watched the first half

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 19, 2013, 04:44:28 PM

that'd be a quick turnaround, but could help generate sequel interest.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: