http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:41:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] Nightwatch  (Read 630 times)
GGMark
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »

A ways back, someone posted a link to the trailer for this movie, and I had been waiting for a long time, searching moviefone, for when it was going to show here, in the states.

The brief description of the movie was a age old battle between light and dark, was called to a hold because they realized it was a stalemate.  each side appointed a group to watch the other.  The Nightwatch, was the light, watching the dark people.  The Lightwatch, yea you got it, was the Dark watching the Light.

So wandering around family Video the other night with the GF, I saw it.  I was like WOW, i have to get it.  The trailer looked awesome.

So I sat down to watch it, and noticed it was dubbed.  I started looking through the voice tracks.  English, Spanish, French.  Hmm...Wheres the Russian voice track?  Oh well.  English it is.  Apparently, after talking to someone else who has seen the movie there IS a version with the Russian voice track somewhere.

The opening sequence, is a man who goes to visit a gypsy about his significant other.  She's leaving him, and he's thinking about putting a curse on her.  After some discussion he agrees.  then come in the Nightwatch.  Everything slows down for him, the woman in the air, moving in slow motion, shes calling to her familiars to help her.  the man falls to the ground, and hear some other voices.  he turns to see two men holding the woman down.  Suddenly out of nowhere this blonde woman pokes her head into the door of the apartment, her eyes go cat eyes, and she jumps into the kitchen to stop the woman.  

Theres some stuff I left out so as not to really spoil anything.  As well as so not to ruin some of the really cool stuff about this movie.  its filmed with some interesting CGI affects.  it has a great story about the good vs evil, and someday one will be born who will choose a side and tip the scale.  The prophecies say he will choose Dark.  its a cool story of how Light feels they are doing the right thing, yet, to some it appears they are no better than the Dark people.

The story was good.  The acting didnt seem to bad, though I wish I had the Russian voices.  The action sequences were pretty cool as well.  Fight scenes involving "The Gloom"  which is like a in between world that you can only be in for brief periods of time, before the environment actually starts to attack you.

This movie is supposed to be a 3 part series if I remember right.   it had a good story, it was told well.  I wish we would have gotten to see more about the powers of different sides.  Really all we got in this one, was some vampires.  Which they have on both sides.   Some shapeshifters, which I have to admit were pretty cool.  I think i really expected one thing from the trailer, and got a more serious story.  Which was cool.  i recommend this movie.  

If i had to rate it on a 1-10 scale.  I would say prolly a 7.5
Lord_Pall
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:54:46 PM »

If you got the dvd, the russian track is on the flip side.

It's VERY good. The subtitles are baked into the picture and are phenomenal. They change size, melt into air and so on.

I quite liked the russian version. I'd give it an 8 or 8.5. Very good.

A little choppy at times, but great fun.

I watched the import of Daywatch (the sequel). It's a better movie, but not having the amazing subtitles really makes it hard to follow. There were times where I was completely lost (even with a rough english translation).

I look forward to future releases of Daywatch and the third one, Duskwatch.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »

I'd heard that the subtitles were really well done, and I know I'll be renting this flick at some point.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 11:25:05 PM »

Quote from: "Lord_Pall"
The subtitles are baked into the picture and are phenomenal. They change size, melt into air and so on.

Please tell me it's not like the subtitles in Man on Fire...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:41:58 PM »

Purely by chance I watched about twenty minutes of Night Watch a couple of months ago, and resolved to grab it at some point.  Well, it was bought for me for Christmas and I watched it last night.

Awesome film!  It's full of action, cool scenes, good acting...the story is a little off-the-wall but told very well.  I got the Russian version with the cool subtitles which helped the atmosphere.  I was mesmerised from start to finish; it's one of those perfectly-paced films which pile on the story elements without leaving you behind, and there are surprising twists throughout.  I would, lazily, compare it to Blade, although there's a lot more happening in Night Watch and it's about more than just vampires.  I'd talk about the story but the original post in this thread is already...well, pretty spoilerish actually, so I'll say no more.

Got to get hold of the sequel and the books now!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:28:37 AM »

one of my favorite things about these movies is how the actors portray the characters so well. the overall effect truly captures the feeling of a 'real-life' comic adaptation done right.

The first part of Daywatch gives the impression of how a (good) TV series based on this universe would turn out - too bad that never happened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: