http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 03:28:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] Looper  (Read 2678 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 06:07:54 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 13, 2014, 06:02:19 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 13, 2014, 04:53:34 PM

8/10 is your 'absolutely loved it' rating?!

My love for it had a lot to do with the theme. There were a few rough edges, that brought it down a point for me. And yeah...there's very few movies I'd ever give 9/10 for, so maybe I do use the GT scale.  slywink

10/10 - kronovan reaches enlightenment, sprouts wings, and flies to the top of Mount Olympus to begin his rule over the remaining mortals
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 13, 2014, 06:07:54 PM

10/10 - kronovan reaches enlightenment, sprouts wings, and flies to the top of Mount Olympus to begin his rule over the remaining mortals

lol IIRC I think I made a post at this, or some website, that Inception was a 10/10. And yeah I did something similar to what you describe, but...sigh...it was all just in a dream.  Tongue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 06:35:50 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 13, 2014, 06:25:41 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 13, 2014, 06:07:54 PM

lol IIRC I think I made a post at this, or some website, that Inception was a 10/10. And yeah I did something similar to what you describe, but...sigh...it was all just in a dream.  Tongue

But was it a dream?  Are you dreaming now? paranoid
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 10:31:17 PM »

As it happens, the postman just brought the Looper disk today. Will probably watch it tomorrow night.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on January 13, 2014, 10:31:17 PM

As it happens, the postman just brought the Looper disk today. Will probably watch it tomorrow night.
now, you'll need to remember to time travel back after watching it to hand it to the postman so he can hand it to you.  after you invent the time travel machine/get it back from Rufus. 

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 12:01:52 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 13, 2014, 11:02:23 PM

now, you'll need to remember to time travel back after watching it to hand it to the postman so he can hand it to you.  after you invent the time travel machine/get it back from Rufus. 
Whoa man, you blew my mind. There's a future me that's already seen it! I wonder if he will post here.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 03:27:36 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on January 14, 2014, 12:01:52 AM

Whoa man, you blew my mind. There's a future me that's already seen it! I wonder if he will post here.
he did.  this has all happened before. 

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on January 14, 2014, 12:01:52 AM

He would but I killed him as soon as he finished it.

I would suggest not watching it unarmed.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 17th, 2021, 09:03:53 PM
The robots!  They've taken over everything!  It all started because I rented Looper!  You have to stop me!  And don't forget to shop at Curio City Online for all your phased plasma rifle needs!

But Ironrod, it's already too late to stop you!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 02:31:28 AM »

Future Me here. It was an entertaining and clever story but one glaring plot hole that opened up 10 minutes into the film was never explained, unless I missed something. Somebody tell me how

Spoiler for Hiden:
Looper Central (or the Rainmaker?) knows when a loop isn't closed. Suppose Bruce Willis just runs off through the cornfield and Gordon-Levitt never lets on that he didn't finish the job. How is anyone the wiser? I never saw any indication that there was any kind of verification procedure for any of the executions. Are we supposed to infer that the Rainmaker just knows?

Then there was a scene that just plain confused me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
When unhooded Bruce Willis appears, Gordon-Levitt fails to kill him and the events of the movie are set in play. Then we see the same scene where hooded Bruce Willis appears, gets shot, and the loop is closed. I get that they were alternate timelines, but I don't get how they were related.

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 02:55:34 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on January 16, 2014, 02:31:28 AM

Future Me here. It was an entertaining and clever story but one glaring plot hole that opened up 10 minutes into the film was never explained, unless I missed something. Somebody tell me how

Spoiler for Hiden:
Looper Central (or the Rainmaker?) knows when a loop isn't closed. Suppose Bruce Willis just runs off through the cornfield and Gordon-Levitt never lets on that he didn't finish the job. How is anyone the wiser? I never saw any indication that there was any kind of verification procedure for any of the executions. Are we supposed to infer that the Rainmaker just knows?

Spoiler for Hiden:
When unhooded Bruce Willis appears, Gordon-Levitt fails to kill him and the events of the movie are set in play. Then we see the same scene where hooded Bruce Willis appears, gets shot, and the loop is closed. I get that they were alternate timelines, but I don't get how they were related.

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. My guess is that the Looper system include monitoring system where when they send someone back to be killed by looper, they also have someone else that watch the looper to make sure the looper does his job. This is especially important when it is about closing loop.

2. The scene where Bruce Willis appears and gets shot is the experience of the unhooded Bruce Willis. He killed his older self so he get to retire and grow old to be send back as unhooded Bruce Willis.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 03:11:15 AM »

#2 makes sense. #1 you're just guessing, so it's still a big plot hole in my mind.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 01:58:18 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

This was also my question... they never explain that.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
This was the original loop that lead to Joe's whole life... culminating in the unhooded arrival.
kratz

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 02:01:25 AM »

These are also timelines with and without the rainmaker, and with and without the consequences.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 03:13:41 AM »

Quote from: kratz on January 17, 2014, 01:58:18 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

It bothered me so much that I paused the movie 10 or 15 minutes in and told my wife "if they don't explain that, I'm going to have a big problem with this movie." Then they didn't.

I also agree with the earlier comments about the TK aspect being extraneous and overdone. It served to
Spoiler for Hiden:
give the child Rainmaker a defense mechanism while demonstrating why the adult Rainmaker was such a terror.

But that's not the direction I would have taken if I'd written the story.

I love a good time travel story and this was a very good one overall, but not quite great. 

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2014, 07:09:43 PM »

Man I agree completely Ironrod, though I never fully got past this issue and therefore never recommended this flick to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake up.
Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on January 17, 2014, 03:13:41 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

It bothered me so much that I paused the movie 10 or 15 minutes in and told my wife "if they don't explain that, I'm going to have a big problem with this movie." Then they didn't.

I also agree with the earlier comments about the TK aspect being extraneous and overdone. It served to
Spoiler for Hiden:
give the child Rainmaker a defense mechanism while demonstrating why the adult Rainmaker was such a terror.

I love a good time travel story and this was a very good one overall, but not quite great.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
I forgot much about the movie but our discussion here made me recall my theory about why Rainmaker want to close the circle and that can explain why he can know without any verification.

In the timeline that Rainmaker is in charge, a looper killed his mother so in the future when he is in control, he closes the loop on all loopers. He doesn't need any verification because the only looper that he is interested in stopping is the one that killed his mother and he know if the looper killed his mother or not.

So the looper movie is about two characters trying to alter the past to save someone. The Rainmaker is trying to save his mother. The Bruce Willis character is trying to save his wife. The paradox is that in his reality, the Rainmaker caused his mother's death because his agents killed Bruce Willis's wife. Same with Bruce Willis character, he caused his wife to die because he tried to kill the Rainmaker.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2014, 11:43:04 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on January 21, 2014, 09:07:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I forgot much about the movie but our discussion here made me recall my theory about why Rainmaker want to close the circle and that can explain why he can know without any verification.

In the timeline that Rainmaker is in charge, a looper killed his mother so in the future when he is in control, he closes the loop on all loopers. He doesn't need any verification because the only looper that he is interested in stopping is the one that killed his mother and he know if the looper killed his mother or not.

So the looper movie is about two characters trying to alter the past to save someone. The Rainmaker is trying to save his mother. The Bruce Willis character is trying to save his wife. The paradox is that in his reality, the Rainmaker caused his mother's death because his agents killed Bruce Willis's wife. Same with Bruce Willis character, he caused his wife to die because he tried to kill the Rainmaker.

OK, I missed that entirely. It still doesn't make sense to me, though.
Spoiler for Hiden:
If he doesn't get verification that a loop was closed, how would he know that the unclosed looper isn't the one who murdered his mother? How does anybody know that they need to send enforcers out to hunt down the escapee?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Paradoxes make my brain hurt.  'tarded!

Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2014, 11:59:05 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on January 21, 2014, 11:43:04 PM

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on January 21, 2014, 09:07:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

OK, I missed that entirely. It still doesn't make sense to me, though.
Spoiler for Hiden:
If he doesn't get verification that a loop was closed, how would he know that the unclosed looper isn't the one who murdered his mother? How does anybody know that they need to send enforcers out to hunt down the escapee?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Paradoxes make my brain hurt.  'tarded!

Spoiler for Hiden:
He is only interested in closing the loop on a single looper but he doesn't know which looper so he closes on all looper. He doesn't need verification because if the loop is close without incident then his mother survived.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2014, 12:43:37 AM »

there is some way to send messages back and forth, they never cover it as far as I know.  The guy in charge in the past seems to have communication with the future though
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 22, 2014, 12:43:37 AM

there is some way to send messages back and forth, they never cover it as far as I know.  The guy in charge in the past seems to have communication with the future though
did they ever allude to sending inorganic material by itself?  that gets you past the first barrier, and having a drop box for notes on a pc or the net somewhere can answer the second. 

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 22, 2014, 12:43:37 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
This still doesn't explain how they know that the loop has been allowed to run... unless they are able to see the second version of the person pop up on the grid down the road... I guess the benefit of time travel from the future is that as soon as you know something, you can instantly be at the correct time in the past.

But that doesn't explain it well enough for me to think that's the answer...

It could be as simple as 'they didn't show back up at the club with gold bars', but that seems like something you could coordinate with your future self to take care of... if you knew.  This would have explained it in the case with Seth... he ran as well.  I don't know... time travel is necessarily messy, logically... I think you just have to go with it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: