http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:13:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Dredd  (Read 3953 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 02:45:57 PM »

So I went to see this and it was ... fine.  I wasn't blown away like I wanted to be based on the reviews.  I guess I expected more action and less depression.  Don't get me wrong I know Megacity isn't a happy place but I guess I need some more lightness in my action flicks.

I also didn't think it was that violent.  Well it was violent but somehow CGI blood splatters, etc. don't shock me as much real stuff (obviously not real but with plastic models, etc.)  I thought the violence in Robocop for example was much greater.

All in all it was ok but I wouldn't buy it or see it again.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 03:04:39 PM »

It was fun.  Like most reviewers have stated, it's like a day in the life of Dredd.  By going that route, I think they did the comic book justice.  Stallone's version warped the character of Dredd into a Hollywood version of the comic books, while this version is pretty faithful to the source.  It's not a great movie, but it's a pretty decent Judge Dredd film.  You can see the lack of budget but the director and cinematographer do a pretty good job portraying Mega-City One with what they had.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »

I like the movie alot.  Sadly, I don't think we will see a big budget sequel as the movie came in 6th for it opening weekend.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 05:22:30 PM »

I saw it this weekend.  I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was pretty faithful to the comic.   It went to a early evening showing and there was only one other person in the theater besides my wife and I.  Doesnt look good for a sequel which is a shame.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 04:54:12 AM »

I thought it was pretty good.  Not life changing, but better than I expected, even with the good reviews.  And also maybe a little bit not as good as I expected.

I dunno.  I had fun.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »

Saw it in 3D, and noticed that the tech has issues with low-light scenes.  It was almost like some of them were looking past a wall of static.

From a film standpoint, it was decent.  I'd say The Raid: Redemption was more brutal, had a higher energy, and a better story.  But if you're a Dredd fanboy, I wouldn't say you'd be disappointed.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 25, 2012, 02:42:03 PM

I'd say The Raid: Redemption was more brutal, had a higher energy, and a better story. 
Oh dear. While I quite enjoyed The Raid: Redemption, imho its story was written on cocktail napkins while sitting in a bar. In fact, what I'm worried about with the U.S. remake is they'll actually try to inject a story into The Raid, instead of just let it be what it is -- rookie superman cop against the world.  icon_smile

So if Dredd 3D doesn't even have that much of a story, imho, it must not have a story at all. In fact, perhaps it's has "minus story." I don't think that's possible, right?  icon_smile

Anyway, I'm thinking the cop movie End of Watch is a better bet, and I hope to catch that soon.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »

Neither of the leads in Dredd has anything approaching a motivation outside the context of the uniform or continued survival.  The Raid at least made some pretense of having something to look at when the credits rolled.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 25, 2012, 09:40:17 PM

Neither of the leads in Dredd has anything approaching a motivation outside the context of the uniform or continued survival.  The Raid at least made some pretense of having something to look at when the credits rolled.

Did you forget what Anderson said to Dredd when he asked her why she wanted to be a judge?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2012, 02:31:10 AM »

Fair enough. She gets some back story, but neither of them appear to have much in the way of even medium-term future goals.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »

They're judges.  They've been raised since childhood with only one driving purpose:  justice.  That's their short, medium and long term goals.  Period.  

Dredd is an even more extreme case of this. Anderson has at least somewhat of a back story about why she is who she is.  But this isn't Stallone's Judge Dredd that sees our hero on a spiritual journey to discover his lost humanity.  This is Judge F'ing Dredd.  He is the law. He's more a force of nature than a man, to be honest.  If you view that as a fault, then you're most likely not a fan of the comic book.   icon_wink

Spoiler for Hiden:
If anything, I found the corrupt judges to be a weak spot in the film.  One, maybe.  but four corrupt judges?  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:33:02 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »

Saw it in 3D unfortunately. Way too many "look, it's 3D!" moments.

But overall a good action movie that I'd love to see more of.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2012, 07:37:59 PM »

While I still hope to see it, the North American box office was apparently catastrophically awful (even for a relatively modest $50M budget). A $6.3M weekend just doesn't bode well. Foreign box office is forgiving (esp. for FX-driven movies), but it's too early to tell if that'll keep it from being a box office disaster.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »

Dredd has no traction here.  It's a subset of a subgroup of fandom, really.  If anyone in the US general pop knows of Judge Dredd at all, it's because of the awful Stallone/Rob Scheider movie (which is a combination that shouldn't exist to begin with).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »

Just rented Dredd, I thought it was so good that I went out to Best Buy to purchase a blu ray copy. It is truly unfortunate this movie didn't do well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Sounds like I'm gushing, but this is what I love about this film:
1. Pulls no punches depicting violence
2. Karl Urban's performance. No nonsense, voice was perfect for Dredd. He moves like a trained killer would, with complete confidence and most importantly the will to kill.
3. Simple but effective plot and premise.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:05:32 AM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 09, 2013, 12:33:22 AM

Just rented Dredd, I thought it was so good that I went out to Best Buy to purchase a blu ray copy. It is truly unfortunate this movie didn't do well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
2. Karl Urban's performance. No nonsense, voice was perfect for Dredd. He moves like a trained killer would, with complete confidence and most importantly the will to kill.

Very good movie and I own the blu ray as well

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »

I redbox'd this on the way home last night and enjoyed it as well. From what I recall (and from the extras in the disk) it was pretty darn faithful to the source material. Karl did the Dredd Scowl proud.  icon_wink

Makes me want to dig the boardgame out of the basement and give it a spin again.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 13, 2012, 04:01:18 AM

I don't know I kind of liked Sandra Bullock in the original Judge Dredd. It's amazing after so many years she still looks so good.

Uh, her face looks a little... Bradley Cooper ... make those eyes blue and add stubble.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:22:59 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 30, 2012, 09:52:54 PM

Dredd has no traction here.  It's a subset of a subgroup of fandom, really.  If anyone in the US general pop knows of Judge Dredd at all, it's because of the awful Stallone/Rob Scheider movie (which is a combination that shouldn't exist to begin with).

aw, c'mon, without that movie people would look at me funny when I shout out 'I AM DA LAW!!'...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »

Also Dredd's gruff voice kicks defeats Nolan's Batman easily.

Semper Fidelis

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2013, 04:21:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 09, 2013, 08:27:14 PM

aw, c'mon, without that movie people would look at me funny when I shout out 'I AM DA LAW!!'...

... out of one side of your mouth.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 05:11:08 AM »

It reminded me of Raid : Redemption. That isn't a bad thing either.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »

Yeah, possibly because I watched The Raid first, but I thought it did a better version of the same thing. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 10, 2013, 04:21:59 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 09, 2013, 08:27:14 PM

... out of one side of your mouth.

of course!

Because I can,
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »

Just saw this last night. I enjoyed it and The Raid: Redemption equally.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »

Rented this last night and I liked it.  Urban was good in the lead role.  It was pretty violent though, so watch out if you don't like that kind of thing.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 14, 2013, 04:44:06 PM

Rented this last night and I liked it.  Urban was good in the lead role.  It was pretty violent though, so watch out if you don't like that kind of thing.
Spoiler for Hiden:
A vulcan cannon indoors, shooting through apartments? Yeah, a little. Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:27 PM »

missed this in the theater, but it sounds like it may be a safe blind purchase.

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2013, 09:22:34 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 09, 2013, 12:33:22 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I did the exact same thing! I watched Total Recall and Dredd this morning. I was quite surprised with how good Dredd turned out to be, as I expected something truly low brow and low budget. grabbed the Blu ray off Amazon. the actor who played Dredd did an excellent job- much less forced than Stallone's version. it seemed like Stallone was trying too hard to be a badass. This guy just came across as one immediately.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »

I just got round to watching this film and i enjoyed it alot,thought Urban did great as Dredd,and was glad to see he kept his helmet on throughout(we saw a glimpse at the beginning but nothing major)

They are still trying to get the sequel happening though,so fingers crossed
http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9759/dredd-takes-steps-toward-sequel.html

"Dredd" could score a sequel thanks to strong home video sales and an enthusiastic critical response, according to actor Karl Urban.

Having starred as law enforcer Judge Dredd in the 2012 sci-fi film, Urban said that he has met with writer-producer Alex Garland and they are actively exploring the possibility of a sequel.

"It's certainly my hope that we get to make more clearly it has found an audience," Urban said during a Comic-Con International press event on Friday that included Airlock Alpha. "The home video sales for 'Dredd' just went through the roof. I think it sold 650,000 units in the first week."

However, the film only earned about $36 million at the box office on an estimated budget of $45 million. That had initially derailed any hopes of a sequel.

"It's amazing how these things occurred," Urban said. "Not to compare it directly to 'Blade Runner,' but when 'Blade Runner' came out it was a film that didn't necessarily do what you thought that it should have done at the box office. I feel the same way about 'Dredd.' The reviews were overwhelmingly fantastic but for whatever reason it didn't do the box office numbers that it should have."

Now Urban is seeking fan support to help make the sequel a reality.

"I think the more people that campaign for it, the more people that email, Twitter and write into Lionsgate and say 'We want to see more of this,' then the more likelihood is that we'll get to see that. We certainly are doing everything we can to ensure that happens."

"Dredd" was a British-South African production directed by Pete Travis ("Vantage Point," "Endgame") and written and produced by Garland ("Sunshine"). It also starred Rachel Wood, Olivia Thirlby, Wood Harris and Lena Headey.

The film is based on a British comic series that first appeared in 1977. Created by John Wagner and artist Carlos Ezquerra, the comic centers on a law enforcement officer with the power to arrest, sentence and terminate criminals on the spot for a futuristic city overrun by violence.

In 1995, Sylvester Stallone starred in the first film adaption, "Judge Dredd." It was directed by Danny Cannon ("Phoenix," "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer").

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »

thumbsup

Because I can,
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2013, 11:49:40 PM »

Keeping my fingers crossed this gets the sequel.  I thought it was a great movie.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2013, 01:28:33 AM »

Urban's Dredd scowl was just perfect, gotta love actors who can take and keep up a mug for a role.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2013, 03:18:17 AM »

I was very pleasantly surprised by it too. Glad I picked it up.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2013, 04:16:37 AM »

Please make this happen......plz plz plz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Semper Fidelis

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »

I just watched this the other day and wouldn't object to a sequel.  I'd also like to see it happen because if this can pull off a sequel it means not all hope is lost for Pacific Rim doing the same.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:17:13 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »

Official 2000AD petition for Dredd sequel starring Karl Urban

I've signed it icon_biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »

signed!

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »

Also signed.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »

Yesterday the petition had passed 20,000 signatures,today it has just passed 52,000 signatures,their FB page had this picture to accompany the news  icon_biggrin

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: