http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 10779 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »

I think they're going for the 80's Sci Fi blockbuster poster look with that.  I think they capture that feel quite well.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »

Second trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy.  Not a Youtube link but you can find it there too.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/must-watch-second-action-packed-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer/

1.  Love the music.
2.  Not as impressed with the action as the last trailer but still looks like fun.

Someone "giffed" their favorite part of the trailer

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:49:48 PM by farley2k » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »

Not sure I'm on board with Cooper's voice for Rocket, but I'll need to hear more. 

Other than that, I'm still diggin' the direction they're taking with this one.  I love a good action/comedy. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »

Some more animated GIFs of GoTG

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »

I think this movie will be right up my ally. One of the ones I'm most excited about this summer now.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »

It just looks...fun.  It doesn't appear to have an agenda, it doesn't look like it's trying to sell toys, and it doesn't appear to feature Mark Wahlberg in any way.  That last one alone is enough to pique my interest in a film.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »

Sorry, you do or don't want Marky Marky to pique your interest....

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »

Do we need to add grammar to your growing list of trouble spots, math boy?   icon_razz

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 21, 2014, 01:00:38 PM

and it doesn't appear to feature Mark Wahlberg in any way. 

I feel that way about Shia LaBeouf.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2014, 01:51:21 AM »

Shia is an annoying little poser...but I still think he's 10 times better than Wahlberg.  I don't believe I've ever seen Marky Mark express more than 1 emotion on screen.  He can turn me away from almost any movie if I see his name.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »

Not sure we need a Marvel movies catch all since there are so many different movies and tie ins between movies...

Anyway

Josh Brolin Cast As Thanos In Guardians of the Galaxy ​

Ever since his big, purple mug popped up at the end of The Avengers, we've been speculating about who will play Marvel's ultimate big bad, Thanos. And now we know. Josh Brolin has been cast as the Mad Titan.

Latino Review broke the news that Brolin has been officially cast in the role of Thanos (and the trades are backing up their story). According to Marvel movie head Kevin Feige, the role had been cast for awhile, but it seems they weren't ready to announce it until just now. The Infinity Gauntlet plot line has been teased out in the Marvel movies for a very long time now, revealing one gem after the other in each film. Now we know, for certain, that Thanos will be appearing in GOTG. However, he is not the main antagonist in this film. That role is filled by Ronan the Accuser, played by Lee Pace. We can only assume that Thanos will be manipulating things from behind the shadowsóbut will play a much larger part than he did in the Avengers film, obviously. Plus, if you believe certain whispers, Brolin could appear in Avengers 3 as the main villain.

We have to admit, we thought Thanos was going to be Benicio Del Toro. And before that, we suspected Vin Diesel would be voicing the role, but it turned out that he was cast as Guardians of the Galaxy team member Groot. But Brolin works; he's definitely got the intimidating pipes to play this villain.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »

Early buzz is through the roof

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-guardians-of-the-galaxy-reviews/
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2014, 07:49:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 21, 2014, 07:31:08 PM

I initially had zero interest in this, but definitely plan on seeing it in theaters now.  Every trailer I've seen just looks better and better.  These sort of comments (taken from that link) help too:

Random GUARDIANS thought: In many (good) ways, it's about as indebted to FIREFLY/SERENITY as it is to the look/feel of other Marvel Movies.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 21, 2014, 07:31:08 PM

I'm hyped for it, but are those actually film critics?  It looks like just a bunch of twitter feeds from about a dozen folks I've never heard of before.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »

I know Marvel will be doing a bunch of One off  movies and TV shows, but the Secret Wars need a Netflix series...  I know that can't use the mutants, but they have plenty of people to use as replacements

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »

If it's for Netflix, they can probably use mutants.  I'm pretty sure the deal was only for film.  Also they could technically use them for the SHIELD show, but I think it would blow continuity for the movie tie ins so they avoid it.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »

I think the rights cover all use of the characters.  I don't believe it stipulates only film appearances.  Here's a handy chart of all the characters and their rights by studio. I honestly thought Sony owned more than two characters.  It also is interesting that the rights to Man-Thing were sold to Lionsgate.  I would love to see a film adaptation of that character...and yes, I'm discounting the SyFy feature from a few years ago.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:50:32 PM by hepcat » Logged

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »

Great extended clip you should watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzI-U1Fh9zc

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »

just saw this last night - technically, the most impressive Marvel film yet. nice resolution, good use of 3D in parts.

otherwise, your enjoyment of this hinges on your tolerance of a nearly non-existent plot, many cliches, quite a few dorky moments and a film that, overall, seems to be trying to make a parody of itself.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 22, 2014, 02:48:59 PM

I think the rights cover all use of the characters.  I don't believe it stipulates only film appearances.  Here's a handy chart of all the characters and their rights by studio. I honestly thought Sony owned more than two characters.  It also is interesting that the rights to Man-Thing were sold to Lionsgate.  I would love to see a film adaptation of that character...and yes, I'm discounting the SyFy feature from a few years ago.

man-thing was mentioned on SHIELD by name.  BTW, I'm about 99% certain of the character rights being movie specific and not just media.  This is also how they keep all the characters on the cartoons (and likely why the rights were worded the way they were). 

On that chart at the bottom, should Iron Man and Avengers just be together (and thus in first place) since it's all part of the same series?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2014, 12:50:22 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on July 24, 2014, 07:39:25 PM

just saw this last night - technically, the most impressive Marvel film yet. nice resolution, good use of 3D in parts.

otherwise, your enjoyment of this hinges on your tolerance of a nearly non-existent plot, many cliches, quite a few dorky moments and a film that, overall, seems to be trying to make a parody of itself.

I am so going to love this movie!  smile

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 24, 2014, 08:11:57 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 22, 2014, 02:48:59 PM

man-thing was mentioned on SHIELD by name.  BTW, I'm about 99% certain of the character rights being movie specific and not just media.  This is also how they keep all the characters on the cartoons (and likely why the rights were worded the way they were). 

On that chart at the bottom, should Iron Man and Avengers just be together (and thus in first place) since it's all part of the same series?

Ah, here's a piece that explains the rights issues.  Disney apparently can do whatever they want with cartoon appearances, for example. 

I would kill to see Man-Thing appear on Agents of SHIELD.  Perhaps as a love interest for ex-Agent Grant.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »

Because it's never too early to announce a sequel, Marvel has announced that Guardians of The Galaxy 2 is coming on July 28, 2017.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »

That's a good sign.  It must have tested well enough to warrant that.  That or they have the set already built so they figure, "why not?".

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2014, 11:12:48 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 27, 2014, 09:44:19 PM

That's a good sign.  It must have tested well enough to warrant that.  That or they have the set already built so they figure, "why not?".

c/built/rendered
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »

Meh...So far the positive word of mouth outweighs the negative.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 27, 2014, 11:41:21 PM

Meh...So far the positive word of mouth outweighs the negative.

not really a criticism from me - but it kinda felt they should have gone 100% CG with this one, rather than the extensive green screening.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »

I can see your point, but I'll have to wait until I see it first before making a case for or against that.  My uninformed opinion tells me that no CGI generated character could capture the little quirks of a character actor like Chris Pratt in a role that rests almost completely on his ability to be a charming rogue.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »

non-sequitor - i thought 'turdblossom' was a compliment, not an insult?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »

It is.  So is "you son of a whore" and "dickless wonder"

<ssshhhh everyone...I'm trying to see if he uses these later>

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:33 AM »

Just got back from a preview- I LOVED IT. Will be catching it again this weekend in IMAX!

Definitely my favorite Marvel movie to date. This is the first one that I feel has real classic potential. Can't wait to see it again!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:30 PM »

http://www.impulsegamer.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3d-film-review/

I don't know whether or not to laugh at or slow clap the reviewer's diatribe about Reaganesque values and the family unit.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 30, 2014, 09:50:30 PM

http://www.impulsegamer.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3d-film-review/

I don't know whether or not to laugh at or slow clap the reviewer's diatribe about Reaganesque values and the family unit.

A couple of paragraphs into that and I started reading it in the voice of the German Ambassador from the Colbert Report.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »

This just moved up to an opening weekend matinee thanks to that review.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2014, 01:54:34 AM »

I'm in!  Glad to hear that it's getting some good reviews.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2014, 04:48:41 AM »

Saw it tonight. Funny, fun, sweet, stupid and goofy in the best way, full of heart too. Not a full house (late Thursday releases tend to sneak up on people), but a couple rounds of very warm applause at the end.  Bring your own!

Not sure I'll get all Captain America about it, but I would gladly run back and see it again when time permits.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2014, 05:04:57 AM »

The movie was AWESOME!

Honestly, I was worried that lightning wouldn't strike twice with Marvel (the first was when they turned Thor into a pretty fantastic film series), but they knocked it out of the ballpark with Guardians.

Also, MAKE SURE you stay for the after-credit sequence. It is so amazing that I could flat out tell you what it is and nobody here (who hasn't seen the movie yet) would believe me. biggrin

And I got a great tiny poster as I was seeing it opening night (or first performance period, I dunno) over at my local IMAX.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2014, 05:13:23 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 01, 2014, 05:04:57 AM

And I got a great tiny poster as I was seeing it opening night (or first performance period, I dunno) over at my local IMAX.
Speaking of posters.  icon_smile

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Mondo Posters on Sale Tomorrow from Artists Tyler Stout, Francesco Francavilla, and More
http://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-mondo-posters/
*Pricey but not crazy-so ($45)

Rocket was wonderful. Though every closeup, I thought of my cat JJ - they have similar whiskers.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:15:45 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »

Rotten Tomato ratings usually drop on release of a film, but GotG seems to be holding steady with high marks.  Even a majority of the "top critics" they list love it.   I'm definitely doing a matinee tomorrow.  I grew up on GotG (the original group with Yondu) so I can't wait to see what they do with the Nova Corps and the rest of the older stuff.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »

Question for those who saw it:  is the 3D worth the extra cost of admission?  Or does it seem tacked on or superfluous?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: