http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 10:37:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance  (Read 1365 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:34:15 AM »

still with Nicholas Cage but hopefully less suck than the first.  maybe they'll pick a better GR villain and ditch the PG-13 rating.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:09:55 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »

damn, guess the first mess scared everyone off.  anyways, here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebCawfEnSWU&feature=player_embedded

not sure I like the blackened skull.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:48:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2011, 12:09:35 AM

damn, guess the first mess scared everyone off.
Yes.  Yes it did.

What?  You mean that glaring white skull didn't ruin the first movie for you?  What else could it have been?  The flawless acting?  The wonderful script?  thumbsdown

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 04:06:26 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 20, 2011, 03:48:42 AM

What?  You mean that glaring white skull didn't ruin the first movie for you?

Ghost Rider has always had the white skull:

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:14:26 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2011, 04:06:26 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 20, 2011, 03:48:42 AM

What?  You mean that glaring white skull didn't ruin the first movie for you?

Ghost Rider has always had the white skull:

Clearly my sarcasm flew a bit too high.  It appears the only thing they have changed for this repeat is making the skull black for some odd reason, as if that is going to make for a better movie when you still have crap-ass Nicolas Cage.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:56:20 PM »

trailer: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810186371/video/27601473

they showed this at Ain't It Cool News's Buttnumbathon 13 and one of their reviewers had this blurb on it:

Neveldine/Taylor is an acquired tate, I think, for some movie fans.  I think their frenetic shooting style puts a lot of people off, and I understand that.  I'm very big on spatial geography in action sequences, and these guys like to put themselves in the middle of everything in their shooting.  This movie followed a mind-blowing movie experience at BNAT, so I think it was due to suffer in comparison; that said, I had a hell of a lot of fun with it.  It's pulpy, fairly predictable, but Nicolas Cage amps up his Cageness level - maybe to VAMPIRE'S KISS levels, but not BAD LIEUTENANT or "Not the bees!" WICKER MAN levels.  He seems to be having a lot of fun with the character, and I enjoyed it for what it was - B-movie pulp, and just all-around goofy.  I will say that I wasn't terribly impressed with the 3D, but it's still early.

I'm assuming the mind blowing experience mentioned was Cabin in the Woods since that was listed right before hand.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »

Sam Elliot was the best part of the first Ghost Rider.

Oddly enough, I think he's one of the few actors with multiple roles inside the Marvel Universe (He was in Ang Lee's Hulk as well), shadowed by Chris Evans (Human Torch, Captain America).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »

How to get Nicholas Cage to act in your movie:

1) call him

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 07:00:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 16, 2011, 04:24:15 PM

How to get Nicholas Cage to act in your movie:

1) call him

Nicholas Cage's Agent

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »

God help me.  I KNOW this film will be terrible.  That it will be soul wrenchingly bad.  That Cage will chew through scenery like a gerbil through...well...I don't wanna use that analogy because I'm way too immature not to go where I think most of us would go.

But I also know I'll probably go see this at a matinee.  

...after which I will go home and promptly burn my hand on the handle of a hot pan on the stove 7 times before the realization that "fire hot" dawns on me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:27:46 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 19, 2012, 08:47:00 PM

God help me.  I KNOW this film will be terrible.  That it will be soul wrenchingly bad.  That Cage will chew through scenery like a gerbil through...well...I don't wanna use that analogy because I'm way too immature not to go where I think most of us would go.

But I also know I'll probably go see this at a matinee. 

...after which I will go home and promptly burn my hand on the a hot pan on the oven 7 times before the realization that "fire hot" dawns on me.

First movie wasn't all that bad until he started laughing during the transformation and the bad guy showed up. I don't know the actor's name, but good lord, he was shit.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »

God WANTED me to see this film Sunday.  I know this to be a fact.  You see, Sunday I had this urge for some popcorn.  Some theater made popcorn.  Complete with artery stopping butter (in the middle as well, damn it!) and enough salt to get my blood pressure up to new heights that I could proudly brag about while in the ICU.  

I think to myself, "Well, I could go see Ghost Rider.  It looks bad, but bad in the same way that I can't turn off Con Air whenever it shows up on TNT late at night."

"Nah," I think, "I can't do that to myself.  That's almost 6 bucks you'll be tossin' away!"

So I'm resigned at this point NOT to go.  I then head out to get some groceries.  However, as I get closer to my car, I see a 10 dollar bill just sitting on the sidewalk.  I immediately declare to the heavens, "You REALLY love Nick Cage, don't ya?" as I swoop up the 10 spot and hop into my hooptie for a matinee of GR.  

As for the movie?

...the popcorn was good.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:40:34 PM »

Lovely story.

We know the 10bux went into you buying a nudie mag and heading behind the 7-11.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »

I understand that Nic has to sell his Soul on occasion for paychecks, and he can't do Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation and Kick-Ass every time out. It IS possible to do decent-to-good "paycheck" movies instead of ones that leave most fans, critics and human beings wondering "Why is Nicholas Cage doing this godawful drivel over and over over????" or just "WHY?" Like Why is Marvel repeatedly wasting good money on one-note characters like this and The Punisher in movies that crash and burn at the box office? Why, why, why????

Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.  icon_razz One meant to echo indefinitely in the empty skull that is Nic Cage's head. retard

He was hysterically, under-playingly funny on SNL as Himself last week opposite Andy Samberg on Weekend Update. Look up the video...

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 21, 2012, 08:40:34 PM

Lovely story.

Why in the world would I ever wish to hide such a magnificent tool?   icon_confused

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 21, 2012, 08:43:33 PM

Quote from: Purge on February 21, 2012, 08:40:34 PM

Lovely story.

Why in the world would I ever wish to hide such a magnificent tool?   icon_confused

Police?

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »

They broke up years ago.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 21, 2012, 08:41:37 PM

I understand that Nic has to sell his Soul on occasion for paychecks, and he can't do Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation and Kick-Ass every time out. It IS possible to do decent-to-good "paycheck" movies instead of ones that leave most fans, critics and human beings wondering "Why is Nicholas Cage doing this godawful drivel over and over over????" or just "WHY?" Like Why is Marvel repeatedly wasting good money on one-note characters like this and The Punisher in movies that crash and burn at the box office? Why, why, why????

Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.  icon_razz One meant to echo indefinitely in the empty skull that is Nic Cage's head. retard

He was hysterically, under-playingly funny on SNL as Himself last week opposite Andy Samberg on Weekend Update. Look up the video...

The thing is that Ghost Rider and Punisher could make good movies if done right. First mistake with Ghost Rider was hiring Nic Cage as Johnny Blaze. Second was trying to make it kid-friendly.

Obviously, there is plenty wrong with that flick, but to me, those two things gave it away that it would be a shitty movie.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23:45 PM »

I always thought Ghost Rider would make a perfect grindhouse style film.  Make it over the top and violent as hell.  In GR2 they showed a hint of this with the way they treated GR.  He was mostly silent and he was definitely giving off a monster vibe throughout (except for the really crappy ending).  I guess they were told to stick to a PG-13 rating otherwise I think the director would've gone more that route. 

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 09:26:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 21, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

I always thought Ghost Rider would make a perfect grindhouse style film.  Make it over the top and violent as hell.  In GR2 they showed a hint of this with the way they treated GR.  He was mostly silent and he was definitely giving off a monster vibe throughout (except for the really crappy ending).  I guess they were told to stick to a PG-13 rating otherwise I think the director would've gone more that route. 

*This*. But you know Hollywood. They gotta put lamesauce over everything.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 05:14:09 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on February 21, 2012, 09:16:30 PM

The thing is that Ghost Rider and Punisher could make good movies if done right.
Well, I liked all of the Punisher movies for the most part... Even the Dolph Lungren one at the time, but in hindsight that was probably because I didn't have much choice...
The newer ones were all pretty good to me...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on February 23, 2012, 05:14:09 AM

The thing is that Ghost Rider and Punisher could make good movies if done right.
Well, I liked all of the Punisher movies for the most part... Even the Dolph Lungren one at the time, but in hindsight that was probably because I didn't have much choice...

... but you might be a little biased, right? slywink

I loved the Ghost Rider comics, but with the first movie I couldn't stand Cage surviving. I just wanted him to keep burning. And burning.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »

The Thomas Jane one was good. With the exception of the end where he blows the cars up in a skull shape. That fight scene with Kevin Nash as awesome though.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »

Apparently Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is worse than Ghost Rider.

I've always said that if you're going to crash and burn, do so in an epic blaze of glory.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »

It's...odd.  They seem to go out of their way to focus on the zany antics of a mad Nic Cage, letting him chew up scenery like he was at a scenery buffet and hadn't eaten scenery in weeks; but then they actually show a spark of life when GR himself is on screen.  There's one scene in particular that I liked.  GR's just made his first appearance in a construction pit facing off against a half dozen or more enemies.  He rides his bike into the middle of this, then gets off and walks into the middle of the group.  Then he just stands there, swaying a little as if he's listening to something no one else can hear.  It lasts a good 10 seconds or more (which is a pretty long time in movie time) and it's a great way to display the menace of this creature from hell.  

But then they blow it by turning it into a standard "hit with chain, dissolve enemy...repeat, rinse, repeat" scene.  I also liked that GR's jacket and clothes were all covered in slightly bubbling black tar.  It was a nice touch.  But there weren't enough of these touches to save the film....and there was WAY too much manic Cage waiting in the wings to destroy it even if there had been.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 05:48:13 AM »

Quote from: Purge on February 23, 2012, 05:27:55 PM

... but you might be a little biased, right? slywink

What gave you that idea?  ninja
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »

I didn't think the punisher films were that bad.  Although I think I prefer the last one to the Jane version.  It seemed to capture the tormented life of the character more...plus, who doesn't like a little more Titus Pullo!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »

Just watched this last night.

Whoa, B film, Batman. Like, Cyborg kind of B. And, unlike classic "B"s, they didn't have the sense to add T&A to save it from its own suckage. I think Christopher Lambert was better than that. Hell, Mean Guns was a better film than this road accident.

A couple of things:

Cage was outclassed by the acting done by the backgrounds.
The Rider was shallow and pointless (spending all of 3 minutes onstage).
I think Spiderman 3 can rest easy knowing it is at least one more film up from the bottom of the list of bad Marvel comic movies.

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »

agreed there Purge.

There was a sense of continuity missing all along - jumping from one plot point to the next and so on and so on and so on....
There is something to be said of movies being filmed in the old Eastern Bloc - budget worries? No problem - come here and film!

I like the 1st movie much better - and that's not saying much.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: