http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 01:41:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Frozen  (Read 424 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »

trailer

Walt Disney Animation Studios, the studio behind "Tangled" and "Wreck-It Ralph," presents "Frozen," a stunning big-screen comedy adventure. Fearless optimist Anna (voice of Kristen Bell) sets off on an epic journey—teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff (voice of Jonathan Groff) and his loyal reindeer Sven—to find her sister Elsa (voice of Idina Menzel), whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom.

when I first heard about this film I wrote it off, but I'm glad I watched the trailer, because it actually looks like it will be fun.  of course, Tangled looked fun from the trailer and it turned out most of the good stuff in the movie was in said trailer which made the trailer better than the movie, but one can hope that that is not the case with this trailer and it will be a good movie with a good trailer instead of a good trailer with a bad movie, right?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:19:41 PM »

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:15:20 AM »

I didn't have a good reaction to the trailer when I saw it.  Here's hoping that the film is better.  But then, I still haven't seen Monsters U, Despicable Me 2, or Planes.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »

new trailer.  not sure what they mean by 'experience the greatest Disney animated event since The Lion King', are they disavowing all their other animated movies since?

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 02:23:37 AM »

That looks a lot better than the last one. The first trailer looked like they were going to try and turn a goofy short into a feature length film.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 03:50:25 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 20, 2013, 02:23:37 AM

That looks a lot better than the last one. The first trailer looked like they were going to try and turn a goofy short into a feature length film.

I think the addition of the singing helps.  other than that it seems like a lot of it was already shown in the first trailer.

Because I can,
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »

My brother worked on this one.  I'll ask him if it's good.

Don't see Planes (I've heard it was supposed to be straight to DVD originally).  Despicable Me 2 was very good.  Monsters U was just okay.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 02:00:53 AM »

Just got back from seeing this. I enjoyed it a great deal, as did my little one.

It's a bit of a strange Disney movie in that it doesn't follow their typical formula, which is what I probably liked the most about it. I don't know if it's based on a legend or not, but it feels very original which is nice.

There are several songs in the movie which at times makes it feel like more of a musical, but they're decently catchy enough. The movie's themes were just a tad too advanced at times for my 4-year old, so I think the abundance of songs helped keep her interest.

As far as characters go, Anna is a terrific character and a worthy entry to the Disney princess lineup. She continues the theme of the strong independent female ala Merida in Brave, but she also has very human flaws. The audience unfortunately doesn't get a chance to be as close with Elsa, so she'll probably be playing second fiddle in the merchandising.  icon_biggrin Olaf the Snowman is one of the biggest highlights of the film, and it's unfortunate he isn't used more. I'm sure we'll see him again in future short features, though.

It would take some time and distance for me to say how Frozen ranks with the best Disney animated features, but the short feature before the movie was a nice preview of what was to come. It was a hybrid of classic Mickey Mouse mixed with modern technology and storytelling. Frozen is the same way - grounded in traditional Disney movie-making magic, but experimenting with moving away from tired stereotypes and storylines.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:03:25 AM by YellowKing » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 02:04:23 AM »

Loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale The Snow Queen.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 02:13:50 AM »

Apparently VERY loosely based, since nothing in that story is recognizable in the movie. Except for perhaps the concept of a "snow queen."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »

Was decent. Didn't love the songs, story was good enough, animation was great.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »

We saw the movie this weekend with my 4 & 7 year old daughters.  We thought it was great.  The kids liked Olaf, but I found him unnecessary and thought it would have been better without him.  I thought the songs were great - harkening back to Lion King level of goodness.  I also thought the themes were good - sisterhood and the beauty you can create when you stop trying to do what others want and just be yourself.  

As for the Snow Queen basis - if you read IMDB, the story was in development hell since 2002.  It's kind of amazing we got such a good movie out of the process!

Edit;  Oh - and Kristen Bell can really sing!  She easily held her own with Idina Menzel (who might be better known from her work on broadway in Rent or as the adoptive mother on Glee).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:01:15 PM by stessier » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: