http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 02:35:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] First Avenger: Captain America  (Read 18958 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 27, 2011, 01:00:48 PM »

After all that Blu-Ray babble, I just ended up getting the cheaper DVD. Although it only has one of the featurettes and then "Avengers Assemble" (which is just stitching together all the Avengers build-up from the various films, and the teaser trailer), it does at least include the commentary.

I did see an appealing $149.99 LG portable Blu-Ray that attaches via USB 2.0, supports 3D and doesn't require an AC adapter. But in the end, I'd be getting it basically to watch a few featurettes that I probably already saw on the web site. I think I'll wait a bit longer...

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 30, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »

If you liked Cap (certainly I was in the minority here on it), you'll be sad to hear that Joe Johnston apparently won't be returning to the director's chair for Captain America 2. Given that Joe seems to prefer period films, and CA2 is supposed to be modern-focused, I guess it's understandable. I still get a bad feeling about what this Vulture site (cited by Super Hero Hype) is postulating...

Community Directors Are in Running to Helm the Captain America Sequel
Insiders tell us that a field of ten directors has been whittled to just three for the follow-up to last summer's hit: George Nolfi, the writer-director of The Adjustment Bureau; F. Gary Gray, best known for directing The Italian Job; and, naturally … Community's Anthony and Joseph Russo?

“Kevin [Feige, Marvel Studios’ president of production] is a ‘vibe guy,'” one source familiar with the talks explains about the unusual decision to include a pair of Emmy-winning comedy guys in the mix. Adds the insider, “He likes to see if he gets along with people before he’ll decide about spending the next two years with them. And apparently, they hit it off with Kevin in the room.” Though the pair have worked mostly in TV, directing other shows such as Happy Endings (which they also executive produce, along with Community) and Arrested Development, it wouldn’t be their first feature. They co-directed both the 2006 Owen Wilson comedy You, Me and Dupree and 2002’s Welcome to Collinwood, neither of which featured much in the way of action and/or shield throwing.
Johnston is supposedly under contract for at least one more film for Marvel, and he seemed actually more keen in interviews on tackling The Winter Soldier than doing more Captain America, so maybe that remains a possibility. Just don't ask me how you'd market a Cold War-era brainwashed asssassin movie as "popcorn entertainment."  paranoid

Kevin Feige seems to change his mind about directors like the wind, so who knows what they'll end up with.

Clearly he needs to look up Uwe Boll.  Bring your own!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:21:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »

Capt America 2: April 4th, 2014
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 05, 2012, 06:44:23 PM »

That's a shame for Joe Johnson not doing the second one,as i really enjoyed the first(still need to buy that,First class and Thor DVDs),I must admit,i know Cap is now in present day,but i would love another film set in the past i am struggling to think how it could be done in todays setting that The Avengers doesn't/wont cover

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 05, 2012, 06:44:23 PM

That's a shame for Joe Johnson not doing the second one,as i really enjoyed the first(still need to buy that,First class and Thor DVDs),I must admit,i know Cap is now in present day,but i would love another film set in the past i am struggling to think how it could be done in todays setting that The Avengers doesn't/wont cover
From what I've read, I don't think The Avengers tackles any of the WWII stuff, other than Rogers missing his old friends.

The Cap movie's screenwriting duo (which, for a change, will also do the sequel's screenplay) said in interviews that they could reference Cap's past and even Peggy Carter again through WWII flashbacks though the "ratio" (say 70% new Cap and 30% WWII Cap flashbacks or whatever) would depend on how warmly the first movie was greeted. Since it did OK but not spectacular box office, it sounds unlikely the second film will do much WWII flashbacking, esp. if Johnston (who loves period pieces) isn't involved.

I figured Marvel'd announce a director first and then a release date, but I guess they've done similar with other films.

I still kinda wish the first film ended with the prologue -- the mystery of the buried bomber, and what the agents find there. Might've reminded me of the end of The Empire Strikes Back a bit. But I guess they didn't want to waste the first 5 minutes of The Avengers with what was appended to Cap.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:00:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »

Actually, they could do a Howling Commandos movie.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 05, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 05, 2012, 07:57:12 PM

Actually, they could do a Howling Commandos movie.
Neal McDonough has talked about that and he really wants to do one.  icon_smile It seems to be "on the table for discussion" along with a Winter Soldier film, but just don't know if WWII action films are really flying high right now. Something like that might've flown better in the Saving Private Ryan (1998) to Band of Brothers (2001) era.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 06, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »

I'd heard about The Russo Brothers [Community TV show, couple indy movies] being considered for the Cap 2 director's job(s), and I guess they won Marvel over....

Russo Brothers Tapped for Cap
http://www.showblitz.com/2012/06/russo-brothers-tapped-for-cap.html
COMMUNITY producers Joe and Anthony Russo are in final negotiations to direct CAPTAIN AMERICA 2 for Marvel and Disney. The studio had no comment on the hire.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/170973-the-russo-brothers-to-direct-captain-america-sequel-
The sibling pair are known for feature films like Welcome to Collinwood and You, Me and Dupree as well as television series like "Arrested Development," "Community" and "Happy Endings" (the latter two of which they also executive produce). They're also attached to Ciudad, based on their own graphic novel and set to star Dwayne Johnson.

The second installment will pick-up where Marvel's The Avengers leaves off, as Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world.

Still untitled, the Captain America sequel is set to hit theaters on April 4, 2014.
I kinda get it -- the Russos have done some graphic novels and it's clear from some Community episodes they love comic books -- but I kinda don't get it.  saywhat

I mean, if you look up Welcome to Collinwood and You, Me and Dupree online... they're not going to scream at you "Hey, these guys are ideal for Captain America 2!" Instead they're going to scream, "Hey! Mediocre comedies that try too hard!"

If anything, I have a sick feeling they'll be asked to make Cap 2 "funnier," which just isn't generally what Cap is. Funny "moments" maybe (as in The Avengers), but not slapstick.

They're still retaining the screenwriting duo from the first film, so there's that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:36:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 07, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »

Come on now.  Needlessly scared much?  Marvel seems to know what they're doing, hiring unusual directors to take on their characters - is Marc Webb ideal for The Amazing Spider-Man?  Was Kenneth Branagh ideal for Thor?  Jon Favreau for Iron Man?  Shane Black for Iron Man 3?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 07, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 07, 2012, 02:08:34 PM

Come on now.  Needlessly scared much?  Marvel seems to know what they're doing, hiring unusual directors to take on their characters - is Marc Webb ideal for The Amazing Spider-Man?  Was Kenneth Branagh ideal for Thor?  Jon Favreau for Iron Man?  Shane Black for Iron Man 3?

Kenneth Branagh was ideal for Thor.

Otherwise, yes.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 07, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »

Agreed, though Marvel has nothing to do with Spider-Man. That's all Sony.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 07, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 07, 2012, 02:16:13 PM

Agreed, though Marvel has nothing to do with Spider-Man. That's all Sony.

Not true.  Avi Arad's still a producer, and Stan Lee's still executive producing.

Even if it's outside of their Marvel Studios banner, they still have a big big say.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 07, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 07, 2012, 02:11:30 PM

Otherwise, yes.

He might have been ideal for the material, but for a big special effects laden blockbuster?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 07, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 07, 2012, 02:46:26 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 07, 2012, 02:11:30 PM

Otherwise, yes.

He might have been ideal for the material, but for a big special effects laden blockbuster?

Dead Again and Frankenstein say yes.  Both did very well in the summer and involved some level of effects work.  And that's not dipping into his Shakespeare stuff which did remarkably well considering it's, you know, Shakespeare (not a lot of special effects, though, I'll grant you).  And of course makes him a perfect choice for Thor, but you knew that.

I'm not saying everyone would have thought Branagh when picking a director for Thor.  Certainly not, but it was an inspired choice.  Whedon was also an inspired choice for the Avengers, but it was a little more obvious given that he had already written some kick ass Avengers stories in the comics (the Danger Room arc was amazing, IMO).

Those other guys OTOH (or Raimi for Spidey or Bryan Singer for X-Men) were definitely out of left field, but they worked out.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 07, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »

You make a good point about Branagh RE: Dead Again and Frankenstein.  Oops!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 07, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »

did anyone mention Ang Lee yet? biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 07, 2012, 05:13:55 PM

Kill the interloper!

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: June 07, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 07, 2012, 05:43:02 PM

Kill the interloper!

Actually, Ang Lee sounded awesome when he was announced.  The end result left much to be desired.

Sent via Tapatalk

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »

Kill the interloper!

As long as no one mentions Brett Ratner I'm good.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 07, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 07, 2012, 05:46:06 PM

Kill the interloper!

Actually, Ang Lee sounded awesome when he was announced.  The end result left much to be desired.

Sent via Tapatalk

I was of the same mind.  Fresh off the high of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, I thought it was a perfect choice.  When I realized halfway through it that the full name of the movie was The Hulk vs. His Feelings I felt completely betrayed.  And to make matters worse, if you go back and try to watch it again at some point, it actually gets worse.  

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 07, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »

Come on now.  Needlessly scared much?  Marvel seems to know what they're doing, hiring unusual directors to take on their characters - is Marc Webb ideal for The Amazing Spider-Man?  Was Kenneth Branagh ideal for Thor?  Jon Favreau for Iron Man?  Shane Black for Iron Man 3?
I have no idea how Iron Man 3's going to turn out. Everything I've read suggests there are too many characters, too many villians, and it has Spider-Man 3 (which did tremendous international box office but is not fondly remembered by most) written all over it.

The Amazing Spider-Man trailers look fine, but it could still be a turkey. And yeah it's Sony, not Marvel Studios.

With Favreau, I saw enough in the box-office disappointment Zathura (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406375/) to know he could handle FX, green screen and the like.

I thought the Branagh that directed and starred in Henry V was quite appropriate for Thor, I had no concerns about it. I knew Thor's origin film would be full of pompous characters spouting "thee and thou" and larger-than-life proclamations. Who better to direct that than Kenneth Branagh?  icon_smile

imho "Hey it's Marvel! They know what they're doing!" doesn't answer the question why a couple brothers in charge of a sitcom with mostly dismal ratings and a couple mediocre films (a crime caper and a romantic comedy) to their credit somehow "wow'd" the Marvel Studios brass.  confused Hopefully at somepoint Marvel's Kevin Feige will blab about their reasoning.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 07, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »

Maybe you should actually wait and see the Iron Man 3 before you say there are too many villains, or see the new spiderman movie before you say it's crap. Are all your fears and opinions affected by just what you have read?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 08, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »

Hey, we fanboys always know best. If the studios would just hire us, all of their problems would be solved slywink.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 08, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 07, 2012, 06:05:13 PM

imho "Hey it's Marvel! They know what they're doing!" doesn't answer the question why a couple brothers in charge of a sitcom with mostly dismal ratings and a couple mediocre films (a crime caper and a romantic comedy) to their credit somehow "wow'd" the Marvel Studios brass.  confused Hopefully at somepoint Marvel's Kevin Feige will blab about their reasoning.

Two of those sitcoms with dismal ratings are Arrested Development and Community, two of the finest (if not THE finest) sitcoms crafted in the last two decades according to MANY critics.  I think Marvel knows exactly what they're doing....making informed decisions based on talent.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: June 10, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »

Don't make it with Ang Lee. You wouldn't like when it's Ang Lee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 10, 2012, 03:32:53 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on June 10, 2012, 02:46:09 AM

Eel wins the argument.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »

As I understand it, the 2003 Hulk film was a Universal production. Obviously Ang Lee can do spectacular work with the right material. Ironically enough, one of the directors originally considered for it was... Joe Johnston (Cap's director).

I guess I'm lost on the Cap 2 choice mainly because I have no idea of the sequel's direction other than it mostly or entirely ditching WWII in favor of "Cap in the modern day." I suspect if it was retaining a 1940s emphasis (impossible, given how the movie ended) Johnston might've re-upped. As it is, he's contracted for one more Marvel production, and I suspect he's still hoping for a Winter Soldier project down the road.

Maybe once we know a bit more about the Cap 2 story and characters down the road, picking these brothers will be more understandable. My other concern is I liked the supporting cast so much and the plot I guess necessarily made it pretty much impossible for any of them to be in Cap 2 aside from either as a flashback or a "wearing old age prosthetics" cameo.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 11, 2012, 02:13:21 PM

As I understand it, the 2003 Hulk film was a Universal production. Obviously Ang Lee can do spectacular work with the right material. Ironically enough, one of the directors originally considered for it was... Joe Johnston (Cap's director).

I guess I'm lost on the Cap 2 choice mainly because I have no idea of the sequel's direction other than it mostly or entirely ditching WWII in favor of "Cap in the modern day." I suspect if it was retaining a 1940s emphasis (impossible, given how the movie ended) Johnston might've re-upped. As it is, he's contracted for one more Marvel production, and I suspect he's still hoping for a Winter Soldier project down the road.

Maybe once we know a bit more about the Cap 2 story and characters down the road, picking these brothers will be more understandable. My other concern is I liked the supporting cast so much and the plot I guess necessarily made it pretty much impossible for any of them to be in Cap 2 aside from either as a flashback or a "wearing old age prosthetics" cameo.

It wouldn't be impossible to stick with WWII.  There are montage moments in the original that could definitely be fleshed out.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: June 11, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 10, 2012, 03:32:53 AM

Quote from: Eel Snave on June 10, 2012, 02:46:09 AM

Eel wins the argument.

When read out loud, I totally agree.

Also -

THATS WAY-CIST!!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: June 11, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »

The next Cap movie is going to crossover with GI Joe.

/flees

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: June 11, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 11, 2012, 03:43:25 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on June 11, 2012, 02:13:21 PM

It wouldn't be impossible to stick with WWII.  There are montage moments in the original that could definitely be fleshed out.

They could also do a Baron Zemo WII movie.  It would fit in with the whole chasing down Hydra theme.  Cap chases down reports of some mysterious weapons and find Zemo.  They could even do some Skull/Zemo rivalry, but we wouldn't want to upset Blackjack with too many villains.  slywink

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »

It'd be nice if they did a Howling Commandos movie, Wolverine included.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 11, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »

I would love to see a fish out of water film a la Encino Man.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 11, 2012, 07:53:31 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 11, 2012, 04:52:48 PM

I would love to see a fish out of water film a la Encino Man.

I think Paulie Shore could use the work. He could be the new Agent.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: