http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:45:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] First Avenger: Captain America  (Read 18689 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 22, 2011, 07:26:14 PM

Movie was good.
Harkonis and I never agree on anything. The movie's gonna blow!  icon_lol

Actually I'm gonna see if my boss is OK with me leaving early so I can get over and pick up my ticket early and maybe eating something better than an $8 hot dog or a $10 personal pizza (or whatever it is at AMC now).

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »

Saw it this afternoon. Liked it, but wasn't overwhelmed with it the way I hoped to be. It is a fun, good movie but I really feel like they missed an opportunity with this one. The setup is beautiful. The origin story is done simply fantastically. The second half left a lot to be desired in my opinion. Will post more with spoilers later when the kids go to bed!
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »

Is Hugh Jackman in this one too?  I ask because I just watched the Avengers Cartoon episode about Cap.  Seems Logan was retconned into the Howling Commandos when I wasn't looking.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on July 23, 2011, 12:39:59 AM

Is Hugh Jackman in this one too?  I ask because I just watched the Avengers Cartoon episode about Cap.  Seems Logan was retconned into the Howling Commandos when I wasn't looking.

unfortunately they won't be mixing in X-Men since 20th Century Fox has the movie rights the X-Men, including to butchering their origins.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2011, 01:21:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 23, 2011, 12:42:50 AM

Quote from: sgoldj on July 23, 2011, 12:39:59 AM

Is Hugh Jackman in this one too?  I ask because I just watched the Avengers Cartoon episode about Cap.  Seems Logan was retconned into the Howling Commandos when I wasn't looking.

unfortunately they won't be mixing in X-Men since 20th Century Fox has the movie rights the X-Men, including to butchering their origins.

that still buggin' ya?  let it go, man...let it go.  

you know they're not real people, right?  

anyway...

Cap...was...great.  The music, the acting, everything just came togther to make for a fantastic adventure film.  It had its warts, but they weren't because of the director's vision.  Johnston captured the look and feel of a ww2 adventure film with ease.

Evans knocked it out of the park with his innocent portrayal.  And I don't understand the complaints I see in some reviews about Tucci having some horribly distracting accent.  I thought he did fine.

Overall, after the bad taste Green Lantern left in my mouth, it was nice to wash it out with a decent comic book film.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Loved the shout out to Phineas Horton and the original Human Torch at the fair in the begining of the film!  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:25:19 AM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 23, 2011, 03:03:32 AM »

Just got back, guys. I loved it.  icon_biggrin It was "Marvel-ous" entertainment.  icon_cool The crowd was really into it. While I wouldn't call it a funny movie, there are some excellent laugh lines in it and everything seemed to work with the audience I was with. I think the one that got the most laughs came from a character otherwise without funny lines, but he delivered that one with aplomb.  icon_lol Got a hearty round of applause as the credits (which are done very stylishly btw) started rolling and of course after the post-credits goodies.

I left the theater humming the theme music. While I don't think Silvestri is quite John Williams in terms of memorable-ness, I do have the basic Cap theme running through my head now...

Probably the worst I heard anyone in my audience say was the guy behind me - "Oh that was totally fine"  icon_smile, while I heard a couple "That was so awesome!" s, and just a lot of happy chatter in general.

I found Evans' portrayal very appealing and kind, without being boring. I really cared about Steve Rogers, and was rooting for him. I didn't like Evans as Storm in FF; Cellular is about the only thing I've liked him in, that I've seen -- I didn't catch Sunshine yet. This isn't Oscar-material or anything but I think it will really open studio eyes as to the types of characters he can play. Maybe the best compliment I can pay is that I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role now, even though I was pretty skeptical when he was first announced.

I've read some reviews that complained about some of the FX work but I guess I'm blind cause I thought it was all quite awesome. And some said it was "too long" -- for me it was almost too short. I wanted a few more minutes each with Bucky, Peggy and the Howling Commandos. Here's hoping they get to do more 1940s adventures (via flashback) in another film.

I also want a Hayley Atwell poster.  icon_smile She's so attractive, but also she isn't overused in movies (yet) so it's like discovering a fresh face. I can go on and on about the cast -- it just seemed like everyone was perfectly cast in their role. And if you remember seeing Katie Holmes in Batman Begins and thinking "WTF? Who cast this?", you know how important casting is.  icon_smile

I can't talk about the shield action sequences without spoiling stuff, but they're great and there's lots of variety. The shield is like a Swiss Army Knife. It's like another character in the movie.   icon_cool I might've liked a sequence where it gets painted -- another idea for a sequel scene.  icon_smile

The Harry Potter shows there sold out too. I got to leave work early and had a Chipotle dinner before wasting some time at a bookstore (gotta enjoy that before they all go belly up), and reaching the roped off line about 6:35. Unfortunately, we had to wait almost 40 minutes in line.

I do have one question about something:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Re, the finale, when does Steve have the time to train as a professional pilot? I don't think that's part of his Army training. smirk Maybe in some future movie, Howard Stark teaches him how to fly, making my question moot.  icon_cool

I need my beauty rest so I can take my mom to see it.  icon_smile It'll be fun to see how someone who knows nothing about the comic at all reacts to stuff. I predict she'll love it.  icon_smile

IF the film didn't have to accommodate The Avengers, I might've favored a different kind of ending, but it didn't bother me per se.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:28:10 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 23, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »

Night got away from me last night. Thoughts in spoilers below:

Regarding Hydra:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm assuming from the Yggdrasil reference early in the film and the Thor-like portal the Red Skull disappears into that the cube was some Asgardian relic. If so it's a nice tie-in to the Thor film, but personally I felt like the manifestation was poorly chosen. Suddenly Hydra is mass-producing WW3-type weapons in WW2. With what they had they could have blow through the Allies - and yet they don't. We see a lot of the weapons captured, including a tank... and yet in the other "Avenger" movies set years later weapons tech has regressed. I get that the "source" was gone, but it still struck me as the Hydra stuff being just overdone.

Regarding the Ending:
Spoiler for Hiden:
His sudden piloting skills aside, if he could steer the plane down then why didn't he steer it to a runway and land it? And then each of the bombs seemed to need to be manned from the earlier scenes, so what was the danger anyway? And then the whole 'there's no time to try to fly it' when he's over one of the poles? Like you couldn't crash it in the wastelands of Canada? The crash scene just felt extremely forced to me. I think it would have played out a lot better if autopilot couldn't be turned off and he had to rip out electronics and the plane crashes as a result... this felt like he just unnecessarily crashed the plane. It was really a disappointing finish to me given the possibilities - it would have been VERY simple for the story to have incorporated a necessary sacrifice from him that still had him crash-landing in frozen north. I think that the poor choice of threat from Hydra combined with some of the other story elements (such as the manned bombers) to make the ending less than it could and should have been.

It was still a good movie that I enjoyed. I just ended up disappointed it was only good when I was hoping for great. And I am not one of those people who goes into movies picking them apart. I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels when so very few did. Just a few plot holes really dimmed the brightness of the movie for me and the person I saw it with frown
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 23, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »

For Crux: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the part that they said it was part of Odin's artifact collection gave away that it was from Asgard slywink

Regarding the end:
Spoiler for Hiden:
flying is easy, it's landing and to a lesser extent taking off that's hard.  Non-computer controlled planes ie most planes from WWII slywink  Anyone could fly them just fine with no training, and as you know he didn't try to land that one.   I do agree with the rest of the criticism on the end though.  If the bombs needed pilots which they seem they did, then other than potential landing mishaps there was no threat.  That could have been avoided by landing on the ice instead of crashing into it.  He could have turned around and started flying somewhere else until they got someone to talk him down.  Tons of different choices, but intentional sacrifice wasn't high on the list of obvious choices except to reflect the grenade scene earlier.

Hot chick was hot.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 23, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »

To Hark:

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's a very big difference between legends telling of an artifact of Odin, the mythical god of the norse, vs it being an actual artifact of Asgard. Remember it's not like Odin and Thor popped down to planet earth and were known as 'real' in the 40's...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I get the reflection of the grenade scene, and even agree with it. I just don't understand why they used such a poor sequence of events to represent it. Like I said, all they had to do was make the autopilot not able to be over-ridden, and then have Cap destroy some critical part of the plane knowing it would cause the plane to crash. He's still sacrificing himself, but in a way that doesn't feel so forced.[/quote]
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: July 23, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »

Quote from: Crux on July 23, 2011, 02:02:22 PM

To Hark:

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's a very big difference between legends telling of an artifact of Odin, the mythical god of the norse, vs it being an actual artifact of Asgard. Remember it's not like Odin and Thor popped down to planet earth and were known as 'real' in the 40's...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I get the reflection of the grenade scene, and even agree with it. I just don't understand why they used such a poor sequence of events to represent it. Like I said, all they had to do was make the autopilot not able to be over-ridden, and then have Cap destroy some critical part of the plane knowing it would cause the plane to crash. He's still sacrificing himself, but in a way that doesn't feel so forced.
[/quote]

Spoiler for Hiden:
No, but they DID pop down to Earth and were known as real in earlier times. The cube was protected by the descendant of one who likely DID know the cube's origins, and Skull did chase after it based on info he gleaned from ancient sources. Add to that Hitler's own obsession with Norse mythology and occult in general and I don't think this is much of a reach at all.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 23, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't think the existence of the relic is a reach. I'm just saying a human calling it Odin's isn't a compelling argument as to its source without either some background as to why that human would know. To me, the Odin reference, the Yggdrasil reference and the visual when it was activated at film's end are compelling. I liked the tie-in. I didn't like how its effect was iimplemented, but that is a separate complaint.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 23, 2011, 11:11:03 PM »

My 76 year old mom loved it (probably not a marketer's dream since most movies/TV shows skew towards youngsters), every bit of it.  icon_smile In fact, she said she'd like to see it again sometime, which she almost NEVER says. And she's a Chris Evans fan now, I filled her in about his career to date.

We saw it on a 3D ETX (20% larger, floor-to-ceiling mega-HD screen w/ crazy great sound) screen. I thought the 3D looked fine. Certain sequences like the one involving a train seemed to benefit a bit from the 3D though I would certainly not suggest one needed to see it that way per se. I think our tickets were about $3 more than for the 2D showing.

On the ending, here's my sentimental thoughts...
Spoiler for Hiden:
If it had to end the way it did, I would've liked for them to have found the pocket watch/compass/whatever that had Peggy Carter's photo in it, and have that be the only thing in his pockets in modern day New York. Maybe he could pull that out, look at the picture wistfully, and then say his "I had a date line." I think that would've made it sound a bit more emotional -- a couple critics complained that "date" line sounded too flippant for a tragic moment.
Or if it didn't need to transition to The Avengers, they could have Peggy Carter going to that bar/dance hall later where they were going to meet, asking for some dancing music, and have a brief spiritual farewell that way.
I don't mean they should turn it into a weepy Ghost moment. I just thought there was a little missed opportunity for an emotional sendoff there that would  resonate a bit more.
I'm even thinking of catching it a third time at another theater tomorrow. I'll say it's to see if Regal does a better/worse job of projection. icon_smile

I knew my mom was enjoying it because she does this thing where she clasps her hands to her head if she's really into it, and cheering a bit during certain action scenes.
===============================
Oh, and BoxOfficeMojo indicates it did very well Friday (about $25.7 million), tentatively projecting to $63-$68M this weekend (I think the Pirates sequel has something like a $90M opening weekend and then quickly declined). Not setting any records, but comparing about equally to Thor and the X-Men First Class openings. Potter b.o. apparently dropped quite dramatically from last weekend.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3220&p=.htm
Of course more important is its "legs" and not dropping off the deep end when Cowboys & Aliens opens Friday.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:19:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 24, 2011, 12:10:51 AM »

IF you HAVE seen the movie already, you might enjoy this Collider.com interview w/ the scrumptious Hayley Atwell (don't view it if you have NOT seen the movie and plan to, imho... well, unless you just want to politely ogle her... Fabulous):

Exclusive: Hayley Atwell Talks CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (Note: NFSW a bit; Collider's interviewer likes to cuss here and there)
http://collider.com/hayley-atwell-interview-captain-america-the-first-avenger/102906/
*It's about 11 minutes or so long. I think her publicist gives her the "we gotta run" sign at that point although she seemed to really enjoy the interview.

And she's single now!  biggrin I read something about her breaking up with her long time boyfriend a while back. She's in the UK though. I can only long for her from a distance.  icon_razz Seriously, I'm impressed with her eye contact in interviews. So often people in TV/video interviews look everywhere but the person interviewing him/her.

Also, Collider comments threads are often pretty ugly and nasty, like much of the Internet. Spare yourself.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:14:51 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »

Saw this today with the wife and my 8 year old son.   While i didn't love it like the wife did, i really liked it alot.     I agree the first half with the development of character was better than the second half.    Would definitely recommend  thumbsup

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on July 24, 2011, 12:20:57 AM

Saw this today with the wife and my 8 year old son.   While i didn't love it like the wife did, i really liked it alot.     I agree the first half with the development of character was better than the second half.    Would definitely recommend  thumbsup
Cool. New marketing scheme... "Grandmas, wives and Blackjack agree: We Love Captain America!"  icon_smile

I belatedly noticed when I viewed the Hero Complex piece on Robert Downey Jr. at the film premiere the other day, the end of the vid also linked to vids with Johnston, Evans and Cooper and others; these were all via the LA Times apparently. Evans was really in demand so he couldn't stop to talk much (22 seconds vid) but some are a bit longer and kinda interesting.

Director Joe Johnston (2 min 20s+)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcuCClNW8ts&feature=related
*Interesting bit about how he has someone "filter" comments online so he can be up on that w/o dealing with, well, abuse (I suppose "Johnston is a #$#$!" probably isn't helpful, but people saying "liked the 1st half more than the 2nd" is probably a helpful feedback for him if he gets to work on a sequel)

Hayley Atwell (1 min 45)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGXFwu76SU&NR=1

Dominic Cooper (Howard Stark): (3 mins+)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iABm1rC6_48&feature=player_embedded#at=29

Sebastian Stan (Bucky): (2 mins 42 sec)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0krpR45PKA&feature=relmfu

I never buy movie orchestral soundtracks (the original 1989 Batman the lone exception), but I may actually buy a few tracks of this one's on iTunes.

And I am seeing it in a third time in a couple hours, this time at a Regal theater, in 2D. Finally for less than 10 bucks!  icon_razz While I liked Thor and Super 8, I had no real urge to run back in and see them again. Regardless of Cap's flaws, I just enjoy the characters, the look and even the action-heavy second half. I don't think it would be quite the same without a bud audience so this'll probably my last viewing. I hope the Sunday crowd is into it.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:07:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2011, 02:08:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 23, 2011, 11:11:03 PM

My 76 year old mom loved it (probably not a marketer's dream since most movies/TV shows skew towards youngsters), every bit of it.  icon_smile In fact, she said she'd like to see it again sometime, which she almost NEVER says. And she's a Chris Evans fan now, I filled her in about his career to date.
Have her watch The Losers. Enjoyable comic book movie and he's pretty entertaining in that too. Sounds like my mom. She enjoys a lot of those movies surprisingly. Really liked Iron Man.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 24, 2011, 02:08:31 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on July 23, 2011, 11:11:03 PM

Have her watch The Losers. Enjoyable comic book movie and he's pretty entertaining in that too. Sounds like my mom. She enjoys a lot of those movies surprisingly. Really liked Iron Man.

After Rocketeer, it was clear that Johnston has a fantastic eye for capturing the both the mood and feel of a 1940's era film, though.  I think he appeals to a much broader range of audiences because of that.  He really was the perfect choice for this movie.

Quote from: Blackjack on July 24, 2011, 12:18:30 PM

It's a sober Nick Nolte!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:29:18 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 24, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »

Although Cap didn't set any records, projections are that it'll enjoy a really nice debut weekend (esp. considering Harry Potter's still on so many screens) topping the $65M mark:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3221&p=.htm
It was a dollar-spangled debut for Captain America: The First Avenger. Despite being the last to strike, the most famous superhero of Summer 2011's comic-book onslaught delivered the best opening salvo of the bunch, while Harry Potter's last stand fell prey to the adage, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall."

Captain America made an estimated $65.8 million on approximately 7,100 screens at 3,715 locations, edging out fellow Avenger Thor's $65.7 million as well as Green Lantern's $53.2 million and X-Men: First Class's $55.1 million to top the summer's superhero launches.
Comparisons are awfully tricky because of differences in the numbers of screens, 3D screens (about 40% of Cap screens are on 3D supposedly), IMAX screens etc. General word of mouth is really good though, and it sounds like it should have a nice run at the box office, regardless of how Cowboys & Aliens does next week.
=============

So I saw it a third time at a Regal screen where the screen was really wide but not really that big (dwarfed by the AMC screens I saw it at):

*However, I really liked the 2D image at Regal -- it seemed crisper/more focused than at the AMC 2D show on Friday. I also thought the Regal sound was awesome, and it seemed to better portray more subtle sounds. Like I heard Steve Rogers saying "It's not my future!" very clearly there, but could barely hear that line at all at the AMC screens. And when Peggy is visiting a bombing-torn bar in downtown London at one point, I could hear a PA announcer talking about air raid warnings in the background; I don't recall being able to hear that at all on the AMC screens.

Plus I like Regal's food options better. I had 4 slider hot dogs for lunch while watching.  drool

As much as I embrace the film, I don't think seeing it every day is a viable long term option.  icon_lol
=============
Although I bought 3 of the soundtrack compositions off iTunes, in retrospect only the Captain America March (2:36) is long enough to bother buying. I love it though - I believe it's what plays over the initial closing credits. I feel like I should just set that music as my morning alarm, and I'll always be ready to face the day.  icon_smile

I think because it was filmed in the UK, they didn't have to abide by Hollywood guild rules that require credits at the start of the movie. So the movie just starts -- no title credit even. Reminds me of the Star Wars films (although those had the familiar vertical scrolling Episode blah blah intros).

================
P.S. Yeah I'd like to check out The Losers and Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World at some point. Since I'm not gaming anymore (until SWTOR saves me), I might finally re-sign with Netflix or something. And I think my mom would also enjoy Cellular -- that was about the only Chris Evans film I liked (it went away quietly at the box office).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:15:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 24, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »

Cross-posted from QT3:

I feel like I watched a different movie everyone else. I really enjoy superhero movies and I'm pretty forgiving of some of the silliness that can go on in them and while I thought the first half of this movie was pretty good, I found the second half to be almost unbearably stupid.

I'll put this in spoilers, just in case:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Things I liked:

The whole first half (up until he starts the rescue mission) - I thought the setup of his character, the training, his performances, etc were all very well done. Though it did feel that a very big scene was cut where the doctor explains to Steve what the procedure actually is. It goes straight from training to "hey, you have a procedure tomorrow" and Steve never asks what or has it explained what he's in for.

I thought they did a great job capturing the spirit of Cpt. America and the era it's set in.

Cpt. America himself - I think the actor did a great job capturing the characters spirit without coming off too cheesy.

Tommy Lee Jones - I forgot how funny he could be. The first half of the movie actually had a number of really funny moments in it.

Things I didn't like (ie: the whole second half)

My main problem is that Hydra and the Red Skull are so incredibly incompetent and their plans so vague that it never feels like there's any real threat. The Hydra "soldiers" make Stormtroopers look like crack shots and Red Skull's plan is to blow up the Eastern Seaboard somehow, using something, in a plane that is dangerous somehow. Sure, he's got some nifty bullets but aside from that it seems like their speciality is designing poorly guarded buildings. There's never once a real demonstration of their power, they never accomplish anything (other then menacing a old Norwegian guy), and it makes the entire second half feel pointless. What were they doing with all those installations? Why were they keeping the prisoners? Why did they want to blow up a bunch of capitals? How would they do that anyway? What was the point of the plane? Why was it so dangerous that it couldn't even be allowed to land at a friendly airbase? None of these questions were answered or even really addressed.

Incredibly stupid action sequences - this goes along with Hydra being braindead. Why would you decide to have a sequence where Capt sneaks into a heavily fortified (theoretically) building and then strap a bright red America shield on his back and have him waltz right by guards who miraculously never even look in his direction? That whole sequence could have been staged so much more effectively. Why does he attack the front door of the facility during the final assault when it's apparently possible to zip line directly into the control room, despite it being "500 feet below ground"? When he's assaulting the front door, why do the flame guys decide to shot around him instead of at him (I know it makes a cool shot, but still...)? Pretty much every major action sequence in the second half of the film has this kind of stupidity in it and it really sapped the fun out of them for me. Like I said, I'm willing to forgive a lot in superhero movies, but this movie just had too much.

Unnecessarily stupid moments - "We've been flying reconnaiscence planes non-stop and they can't find anything at all! Capt America must be KIA! Oh wait, here come 400 guys with trucks and tanks marching up the highway. Guess the planes missed them." Why even have that dialogue in there? It just makes your movie and your characters seem dumb.

The little planes (bombs?) having the city names on them.

The complete lack of development for Capt's team. These guys seem completely wasted. Other then Bucky, they didn't even give them names. In the end, they just seemed like regular soldiers who could drink a lot when I'm guessing they're supposed to be a lot more then that.

There were other things that bothered me as well, but those were definitely the main ones. In the end, what started off as a really good movie completely feel apart in the second half. I'd rate it as the worst of the pre-Avengers movies, by a long shot.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2011, 11:19:46 PM »

Don't know if this will work, but here are some pics from one of the NY premiere's .. (also some pics from the NY premiere of Harry Potter...)

https://plus.google.com/#photos/118301533008001124769/albums/posts
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 25, 2011, 03:53:10 AM »

Chris Evans was on Jimmy Fallon the other night. Not much to do with the movie, but there are some funny pix of him as a kid:
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/chris-evans-71211/1340540/

Also, beer pong:  icon_lol (having some trouble connecting to that vid)
http://latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/beer-pong-with-chris-evans-71211/1340543/

My brother and nephew loved it, although they're pessimistic they can convince my niece and sister-in-law (she walked out of Iron Man during the Afghanistan "torture sequence" [which was maybe a few seconds]) to check it out.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:07:29 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 25, 2011, 04:09:49 AM »

Seen it this morning.

Liked it a lot. Perfect, no it isn't. But it is enjoyable and I am considering checking it out again before it's gone. My mom (~68) liked it even though it did not interest her prior. She also asked who Chris Evans was and what else he was in.  icon_lol

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 25, 2011, 04:19:23 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 25, 2011, 04:09:49 AM

Seen it this morning.

Liked it a lot. Perfect, no it isn't. But it is enjoyable and I am considering checking it out again before it's gone. My mom (~68) liked it even though it did not interest her prior. She also asked who Chris Evans was and what else he was in.  icon_lol
That's cool.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, Godhugh. I won't pretend for a second there aren't Swiss Cheese holes in various places you can drive Cap's motorcycle through. In the end, I just enjoyed it as a $140M B-movie serial (I think that's the spirit Joe Johnston intended). I think if I stopped to think about those holes while I was watching (Mine would be "Why are the Hydra speaking and writing in English? Why are the U.S. troops running around haphazardly like John Belushi and his buddies in Animal House instead of in tactical maneuvers like in Band of Brothers? etc."), I wouldn't have had the fun I did. I could say similar things about about most of the Indiana Jones films, even Raiders.

I guess I could be accused of checking my brain at the door. Guilty. icon_smile In the end, I just loved these characters and I liked spending 2 hours in the theater with them.

Playing
PC
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 25, 2011, 01:44:56 PM »

I think almost all films of this type have gaping logic holes.  If the film has enough quality components to make me forget about these inconsistencies, I consider it a success.  Cap had enough for me to do that.  I loved the atmosphere, the heartfelt sincerity, the irony free look back at a simpler time, and the director realizing that cynicism doesn't always have to be the go to item in a film maker's toolbox.  It succeeds in spite of its problems, which is the highest compliment I can pay a film coming out of Hollywood these days.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 25, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »

For anyone into box office numbers, this comparison chart is helpful... (technically Priest was based on a comic book apparently, but it hardly seems in the same production costs/stakes league as the others this summer)

Summer 2011 Comic Book Bash
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=summer11comicvs.htm
*Green Lantern didn't open too badly ($53.2M) but the general consensus was the word of mouth was "ugh, don't bother" (fair or not), and the box office disintegrated rapidly.
*Thor did fine ($180M), but not up to Iron Man 1/2 ($300M+ North American take each) standards, even if it did do gangbusters business overseas (something like $266M).
*It's too early to tell with Cap, but most pundits expect it to make something in between Thor's $180M and Iron Man's $318M in North America, just based on very good general buzz. Marvel would presumably be happy with that.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 25, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 25, 2011, 02:49:08 PM

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=summer11comicvs.htm
*Green Lantern didn't open too badly ($53.2M) but the general consensus was the word of mouth was "ugh, don't bother" (fair or not), and the box office disintegrated rapidly.
*Thor did fine ($180M), but not up to Iron Man 1/2 ($300M+ North American take each) standards, even if it did do gangbusters business overseas (something like $266M).
*It's too early to tell with Cap, but most pundits expect it to make something in between Thor's $180M and Iron Man's $318M in North America, just based on very good general buzz. Marvel would presumably be happy with that.

Priest was a comic book movie?  I never did get around to seeing Thor, but I'm buying it sight unseen from Amazon.  Green Lantern and Priest will go into the Netflix queue first though.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 25, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 25, 2011, 02:56:46 PM

Priest was a comic book movie?  I never did get around to seeing Thor, but I'm buying it sight unseen from Amazon.  Green Lantern and Priest will go into the Netflix queue first though.

What about X-Men: First Class?  I know you were really high on seeing that...

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 25, 2011, 03:52:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 25, 2011, 03:19:44 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 25, 2011, 02:56:46 PM

Priest was a comic book movie?  I never did get around to seeing Thor, but I'm buying it sight unseen from Amazon.  Green Lantern and Priest will go into the Netflix queue first though.

What about X-Men: First Class?  I know you were really high on seeing that...

Ceekay already secretly bootlegged the Spanish Language version as recorded by Jeffe at the Juarez theater, so he's good.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 25, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »

If you've already seen Cap, you may or may not have noticed the Golden Age super hero cameo at one point (I looked for it, but apparently I was looking in the wrong place and wasn't familiar with this icon_redface):

SPOILER: Pics Reveal Superhero Cameo In Captain America: TFA
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=42838
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:51:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 25, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 25, 2011, 04:49:32 PM

If you've already seen Cap, you may or may not have noticed the Golden Age super hero cameo at one point (I looked for it, but apparently I was looking in the wrong place and wasn't familiar with this icon_redface):

haven't seen the movie yet, but I heard about that.  I totally would have missed it.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 25, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »

Ummmm 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 25, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 25, 2011, 04:56:41 PM

If you've already seen Cap, you may or may not have noticed the Golden Age super hero cameo at one point (I looked for it, but apparently I was looking in the wrong place and wasn't familiar with this icon_redface):

Ummmm  
Oh well. I didn't see that. Therefore, it didn't exist in my tiny brain. Just like the plot holes.  smirk

Marvel is posting some pix from the Con. Here's Chris Evans signing autographs (and product placement for Dasani):
http://marvel.com/images/gallery/gallery/124/san_diego_comic-con_2011/image/880114
*Hit the right arrow button and the next several are from that.

This one is fun... (guy in costume)
http://marvel.com/images/gallery/gallery/124/san_diego_comic-con_2011/image/880123

And a b/w one of him signing a guitar:
http://marvel.com/images/gallery/gallery/124/san_diego_comic-con_2011/image/880127

The security guards (if that's who they are) look suspiciously like S.H.I.E.L.D. agents... I don't know if he truly enjoys doing all this stuff, but he has imho done a good job of at least looking engaged and enthusiastic at everything so far. I think that radio show where everyone in the booth seemed so obnoxious was the only time I saw him maybe thinking "Why am I here?"  icon_razz

This suite photo from the Con suggests the modern helmet maybe has some sort of communications set built into it (probably partly why it's less comfortable, as Evans says):
http://marvel.com/images/gallery/gallery/124/san_diego_comic-con_2011/image/880067
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:13:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 25, 2011, 06:28:29 PM »

I know I posted a lot of interview articles, but I think this one with Joe Johnston (found on Twitter) is a good one I missed...

Interview: Director Joe Johnston Talks ‘Captain America’
http://www.slashfilm.com/joe-johnston-interview/
If it sounds similar to some others, I think it's because he did get asked a lot of similar questions at times.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 25, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »

Nice brief interview with a stuntman who did some doubling for Hugo Weaving and trained Chris Evans in motorcycle riding:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=42868
Did being the stunt double for Hugo mean you also had to don the prosthetics of the Red Skull? Can you take us through that process?

Yeah - I had a slightly less complicated procedure for prosthetic application than Hugo. His whole process would take around 5 hrs to complete. Mine was around half that. The difference was that Hugo's face had to articulate and have much more expression than mine. His make-up was therefore made up of more individual pieces than mine, so took a lot longer to apply. To be honest, I never heard him complain once about the make-up. We would finish a long day filming and would be sitting side by side in the make-up trailer. i would be totally shattered but he would be still joking around and full of beans! [happy, as opposed to gassy  smirk]
Did you get to work with Chris Evans? How was that?

Chris was great. He was good to work with because he's an athlete. He moves well and picks up the fights and action beats quickly and accurately. This allowed the director to use Chris for parts of the fights where other actors would have required a double. Chris had never ridden a motorcycle before. Within an hour we were riding around Pinewood studios together. That day was a lot of fun.

Playing
PC
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 26, 2011, 12:32:49 AM »

I must be in summer superhero movie overload, because I was pretty underwhelmed with the whole thing.  And don't forget I am a huge Chris Evans fan.  I enjoyed a lot of little things about the movie (loved Bucky, the Brit chick, the prominent use of the shield), but overall I just wasn't very thrilled; the most excited I got was for after the credits.  Maybe part of it was knowinig they had to fold the story into the opening and bring him into the present.  The CG of shrinking Chris down also kind of bugged me.  Sometimes his facial features looked too large, and I thought his voice created a huge mismatch with his body.  I like the idea but it became very distracting for me.

All in all I really would have preferred they delay this to around November, that would space it out from Thor a bit and make the wait time til The Avengers less.  Of course given the positive reviews and how well it did, clearly I'm in the minority.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 26, 2011, 03:22:42 AM »

I saw it today, and while it seems I liked it more than he did, I think godhugh nailed my feelings pretty well.  The build up to Cap joining the war was great, the rest was just a little too vague, all around.  Each of the gaping holes occurred to me, too
Spoiler for Hiden:
though I missed the zipline into the underground bunker thing
I do think Hydra speaking English was really just a comic book/movie convention, however.  Something you just have to accept.

As for the Howling Commandos, I think we were missing a scene where we got introduced to them.  There was a place for it, too:

Spoiler for Hiden:
It would have been a nice parallel while Steve was doing his miserable USO Cap bit in Italy to see them preparing for and executing the mission, then get captured.  A comparison to his fake heroism to their reality.

I also agree with Crux's comments about the ending.  That was actually what I assumed they were going to do, but they just seemed to skip over it.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Meaning the ripping out of the autopilot, which suddenly didn't seem to matter.
 But the whole plan was so vague, nothing had much impact by that point.

But Evans and Weaving along with some nice, little moments made a big difference in the film.

I also enjoyed Red Skull's Indiana Jones comment at the beginning.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
"The Fuhrer is looking for trinkets in the desert..."

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 26, 2011, 04:35:29 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 26, 2011, 12:32:49 AM

I must be in summer superhero movie overload, because I was pretty underwhelmed with the whole thing.  And don't forget I am a huge Chris Evans fan.  I enjoyed a lot of little things about the movie (loved Bucky, the Brit chick, the prominent use of the shield), but overall I just wasn't very thrilled; the most excited I got was for after the credits.  Maybe part of it was knowinig they had to fold the story into the opening and bring him into the present.  The CG of shrinking Chris down also kind of bugged me.  Sometimes his facial features looked too large, and I thought his voice created a huge mismatch with his body.  I like the idea but it became very distracting for me.

All in all I really would have preferred they delay this to around November, that would space it out from Thor a bit and make the wait time til The Avengers less.  Of course given the positive reviews and how well it did, clearly I'm in the minority.
I was a couple minutes late into the theater and missed probably 5min from the start. This may have helped me as I wasn't sure what was coming and never read comics as a kid. I knew about what happened but not the exact details. I watched the rest and stayed for the opening of the next showing. I can see now where it would have lost a little of it's appeal seeing the movie it's 'intended' way.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 26, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »

My take on the "bookends"...
Spoiler for Hiden:
they don't kill off comic book movie heroes in the first movie. So I didn't find the bookends a "bummer" or "unexciting." Even if you've never read a Captain America comic, you probably can guess he's not going to die in a plane crash in a summer blockbuster movie. icon_smile

I still got choked up near the end because I had gotten attached to the character; even knowing full well he wasn't going to just splat in the North Atlantic and "THE END" was going to pop up on the credits.

Or look at it from the character's standpoint -- he doesn't know he's going to be a hibernating frozen popsicle for 70 years. He thinks he's sacrificing his life to save millions of U.S. lives -- which is what his legend will be for 70 years. That's what I thought was great about it (ultimate sacrifice) and is probably how many folks that have enjoyed the film looked at it. In a way, like Spock at the end of Star Trek II (good of the many vs. the good of the one).
That said, I long ago realized you can't change anyone's opinion about a movie (God knows you can argue about it, which sometimes seems the Internet's only function  icon_razz). You either respond to it, or you don't. There's no "correct way" to respond to it though. If you didn't have the fun I and my family and many friends had, then I'm sorry.

Finally saw an interesting feature about making the shields:

BY DESIGN: How Did 'Captain America' Make A Shield Out Of A Made-up Metal?
http://www.boxofficemagazine.com/articles/2011-07-by-design-how-did-captain-america-make-a-shield-out-of-a-made-up-metal
We had to make five different types of shields. We had shields of aluminum, then we had lightweight shields which were aluminum-faced but with a fiberglass back. We had hard and soft rubber shields which we used for throwing and hitting and other stunt requirements.

We did early tests to see if they could fly—used them almost as frisbees—and tried to see if we could have control of them. No. They would have taken out most of the camera crew. In the very early days, we realized we could not be throwing the shields.

Although we had some pretty cool ideas of what we could do with rigs if we could throw them. We had rims attached so Chris could catch them quicker and open handles on the backs so he could fling it around. But it was decided at the end that for safety, we would not be throwing them.

I think most shields were around 9 pounds. We were asked to get them down to 3 ½, 4 pounds so they didn't pull down on Chris' costume. The aluminum weighed about a pounds and a half, two pounds, but then there was the leatherwork. We also had some incredibly lightweight versions made of foam with steel rims so that they could be magnetized onto Chris' back for when he was running and when they had to clip on and pull off his back.

Also interesting what they did to create wear on the shield:
And then there were the seven stages of scuffing for the shield because it gets more worn as the movie goes on. One of the Marvel illustrators started to sketch how we would show the damage and the director, Joe Johnston, was in on the act. He would mark how much degradation we had put on to it.

We used to keep seven sets of shields including the clean version you see in the trailer where the shield is picked up as just raw, unpolished aluminum in Howard Stark's lab. Then we went from the clean version, Stage Zero, and went from there to Stage Six. Stage One was painted and unused. Stage Two, you see in the montage sequence with the Invaders, and then it progressed from there.

The last time we saw the shield it was ... [spoiler-y]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:34:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 26, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »

But by having the bit at the beginning, you know about the ending long before it happens.  It's not that it ruin the suspense of the fate of the character, just that you know where the story is going.

That didn't bother me so much (probably because I'm aware of the scenario from the comics), but I guess I can imagine it seeming irritating.

However, I think it would have been a lot more of a WTF strain on believability if they just had that stuff happen at the end of the film.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 26, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 26, 2011, 01:16:44 PM

But by having the bit at the beginning, you know about the ending long before it happens.  It's not that it ruin the suspense of the fate of the character, just that you know where the story is going.

That didn't bother me so much (probably because I'm aware of the scenario from the comics), but I guess I can imagine it seeming irritating.

However, I think it would have been a lot more of a WTF strain on believability if they just had that stuff happen at the end of the film.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was already sad that he didn't get to make his date with Agent Carter.  I think it would have been much sadder if that hadn't been telegraphed in advanced.  So in some sense it helps prevent the movie from ending on too much of a down note.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: