http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 12:56:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] First Avenger: Captain America  (Read 18681 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »

New trailer with quite a bit of different footage/dialogue is out. It won't blow you away, but I like it -- it feels like it has a bit more heart and character, w/ bits of humor, to it than some more "kaboom!" trailers.

The New Captain America Trailer
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167671-the-new-captain-america-trailer-

I hope it's satisfying. It doesn't seem like Thor, X-Men: First Class or Green Lantern have quite lived up to the studios' box office expectations ($150-$200M budgets build certain expectations) domestically. Thor and the X-Men:FC flicks have done well at the foreign box office -- Green Lantern's probably going to need that just to break even on its $200M budget.

So perhaps comic book films aren't a license to print money afterall. Or perhaps they should ditch this whole overpriced 3-D malarkey, and maybe they'd do better B.O. without charging us $14, $16 and thereabouts for tickets (w/ no discounts for 3-D showings). I understand inflation but I'm just not going to keep paying $8-$10 an hour, basically, to see an often so-so movie.

It'll be interesting to see what lessons Studios take (fairly or not) from this summer once the box office bloodletting is over.

What was I talking about again? Oh yeah. Captain America new trailer!  icon_smile
==================
Super Hero Hype also had an interview with writer Stephen McFeely on sequel ideas:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167645-writer-stephen-mcfeely-on-a-captain-america-sequel
Q: We know he comes into modern day for The Avengers, but is there room to go back to WWII?

SM: Well, our hope is that there is room and we’re negotiating how to do that now. The story will likely be in the present day. We’re experimenting with flashback elements for more period World War II stuff. I can’t say much more than that but we made it baggy enough to refer to more stories in the past.

Q: So you left gaps in Captain America 1 where you can always say something else was going on back then?

SM: Absolutely. He had more adventures than just the one you’re going to see in the movie.

Q: Do you know who the villain of Captain America 2 would be?

SM: It’s undetermined. I will pass that question, how about that?

Q: When would you be scheduled to work on a sequel?

SM: We’ve already made the deal so I was at Marvel last week. We’re talking and passing stuff back and forth all the time. They just sent me a big PDF file of comics.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:03:42 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »

Cool Trailer

Captain America's outfit looks fine for this film,with its WWII era,but it will be interesting to see if they will update it for modern day in The Avengers

as for the other comic book movies

X-men First Class has done decently enough up to now for being 3 weeks old
Release Date: June 3, 2011,Production Budget: $160 million
Domestic:     $124,785,201       43.1%
+ Foreign:     $164,592,842       56.9%
= Worldwide:     $289,378,043    

Whereas Thor certainly hasn't done bad for 2 month old film(released April here in the UK)
Release Date: May 6, 2011,Production Budget: $150 million
Domestic:     $176,554,685       40.5%
+ Foreign:     $259,561,239       59.5%
= Worldwide:     $436,115,924    

as for Green Lantern i suppose isn't bad for a week old,depends if it has the legs
Release Date: June 17, 2011,Production Budget: $200 million
Domestic:     $67,199,935       80.5%
+ Foreign:     $16,300,000       19.5%
= Worldwide:     $83,499,935    

Comic Book films are here to stay anyway Tongue

it certainly will be interesting to see how Captain America does,both Worldwide and Domestically

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »

The new trailer makes it look pretty awesome.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »

That looks like a lot of fun. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »

Great trailer!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2011, 07:29:03 AM »

HD version at Yahoo is over here (I forgot to mention earlier), Quick Time format:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810026349/video/25721034
*Should be able to open it up in QuickTeam for streaming, rather than needing to d/l it.

As with the earlier trailers, I went a little crazy screen capturing.  icon_smile They cut these trailers like old MTV videos and you hardly see what's happening.

After taking a couple dozen captures, I noticed the pix fell into categories. So lets start by giving Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) some screen capture love for a change.  Bring your own!  I reduced size a bit (about 1280 width instead of HD), to reduce blurring and file size a bit...

I like a gal who looks good in makeup...  Fabulous

Dresses up well... (Note Bucky Barnes' insignia here -- he's a sarge icon_smile)

But can also kick your ass.  drillsergeant
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:53:10 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2011, 07:35:24 AM »

And back to our Captain...

Looking pensive... "OMG. What if this isn't better than the Fantastic Four movies? I'll be screwed!"  paranoid

Man of action...

On fire...

DOINK!  icon_cool

KAPOW! (Red Skull apparently wears either a dress or a trenchcoat  icon_razz)

Super leap!

Super leap II!

Throws his mighty shield. Seems like a good wallpaper idea...  icon_cool
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:54:10 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2011, 07:38:22 AM »

Meet our buddy Johann (The Red Skull)...

Hello!

What's this?

This is my rifle... this is my gun...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:43:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »

It's cool we get to meet Howard Stark...

Although it's not as CGI saturated as the summer's other comic book flix (I should note that there is apparently a lot of subtle CGI involved in creating the initial scrawny, shorter version of Steve Rogers by "sculpting down" Chris Evans' body), it does appear to have quite a few CGI flight scenes...

Probably Cap or Bucky hanging onto the push-propeller fighter plane.
-------------------------
Basic cable has been showing Joe Johnston's "The Rocketeer" of late (whether by coincidence or some sort of subtle pre-marketing for Captain America). It's fairly fun and arguably plays better on the small screen than it did in its original theatrical release in 1991. I just have found most Joe Johnston-directed flix a bit sluggish and not quite on the mark pacing-wise. But people can learn and get better. I'll keep my hope up that's the case with this.  icon_smile

I think this was the first trailer to suggest the Captain America film has at least some modest sense of humor to it. I think some of that makes all the difference, as long as it doesn't veer too much into slapstick. Johnston worships Raiders of the Lost Ark, so if he can capture that sort of style and relatively subtle humor, that sounds good.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:41:37 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

So apparently the dirty little secret of the Super Solder serum is revealed! It's donuts, frozen drinks and ice cream!  icon_eek

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167659-captain-america-hits-dunkin-donuts-a-baskin-robbins-
Dunkin' Donuts has expanded its popular line of icy cool Coolatta beverages with the introduction of a new Captain America Coolatta drink, a cherry-flavored frozen beverage.  The new Coolatta drink will be available in a special limited-edition collectible First Avenger Tri-Cup, an innovative three-chamber cup featuring images of Captain America that allows guests to enjoy three different Coolatta flavors (8 oz. each) within the same cup.

Joining Dunkin' Donuts' famous lineup of donut varieties is the brand's first-ever star-shaped donut, the Captain America Donut, filled with jelly, frosted with vanilla icing, and topped with patriotic red, white and blue sprinkles, as well as the Stars & Stripes Donut, frosted with red icing and topped with patriotic red, white and blue sprinkles.

The Dunkin' Donuts Captain America-themed menu items are available beginning Monday, June 27, 2011 at participating locations in the United States, Chile, Taiwan, Colombia, Germany, Honduras, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain and Thailand.
Baskin-Robbins, the world's largest chain of ice cream specialty shops, is featuring an assortment of ice cream refreshments including July Flavor of the Month Super-Soldier Swirl, vanilla ice cream swirled with a combo of blue chocolate chips and a cherry flavored ribbon.

Guests can also succumb to the power of chocolate with a Hydra Force Sundae, Chocolate Mousse Royale ice cream that is chock full of brownies, hot fudge, and whipped cream topped off with chocolate sprinkles and a cherry, or dive into the Super-Soldier Sundae, Super-Soldier Swirl ice cream topped with moist white cake, and a rich strawberry topping (add whipped cream, a cherry, and star-spangled sprinkles for a flavorful patriotic salute).

Lastly, the Captain America Ice Cream Cake, inspired by Captain America's signature shield, is classic sheet cake customized with your favorite ice cream and cake flavors along with a collectable Captain America Cake Topper.

The Baskin-Robbins Captain America-themed ice cream treats are available beginning Monday, June 27, 2011 at participating locations in the United States, Canada, Australia, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras, Malaysia, St. Maarten and United Kingdom.
"I can't fit in my costume, Bucky!"  Bring your own!

Playing
PC
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 25, 2011, 07:35:24 AM

And back to our Captain...

Super leap!

Super leap II!

Throws his mighty shield. Seems like a good wallpaper idea...  icon_cool

The Shield changed in the last two pics.  Looks like the first one had the original shield-shaped shield, and the sceond one the more modern round one.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »

Yes, that was magic!  icon_smile And me not arranging screen captures in sequence.  icon_redface

There are apparently three different costume variations in the film. The first is when he's been put on more of a USO tour (I don't know if he's in any battle scenes when in that get up), and apparently looks more like the comic versions. The second is more of a rough-leather battle outfit (with a helmet but no mask) and the more square-like shield. The final version has a partial mask, and he has the more iconic saucer that's more suitable for tossing and using as a plate.  icon_cool

I don't know the script exactly, but it sounds like the Cap and Red Skull first meet while he's in costume variant II (with the square shield), they part ways, and then have their ultimate showdown later on with Cap in his last costume and saucer shield variant.

From what the screenwriter say, if fans want more WWII-era adventures, there is plenty of room to keep telling those in further Captain America movies (while The Avengers sticks to modern day), albeit in more of a lengthy flashback form. The origin film covers quite a bit of time apparently, but leaves plenty of "gaps" in terms of "untold" CA adventures in case they want to keep re-visiting the 1940s.

A few years ago, when it felt like there was as much a glut of WWII films as there is of comic book films today, I would've been skeptical. But I think the WWII war movie glut has gone away long enough people might be receptive to some comic book tinged WWII adventures for a bit.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:55:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2011, 06:41:53 AM »

Oh, had a few more screen caps from the new trailer...

Crashing in. Poor guy in the middle's stuck with the .30 cal...

Some motorcyclin'...

I think Chris Evans mentioned in on-set interviews sometimes using the saucer shield as a sled of sorts. I haven't seen that in trailers so far but maybe something to look forward to.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:43:48 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 26, 2011, 06:41:53 AM

I think Chris Evans mentioned in on-set interviews sometimes using the saucer shield as a sled of sorts. I haven't seen that in trailers so far but maybe something to look forward to.  icon_cool

i thought of this when you said that icon_lol

(Christmas Vacation)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »

Ha.  icon_smile I never even had a sled as a kid. All we had was this big red, plastic "snow saucer" with a couple canvas handles on it. It was fun to ride, but I recall getting knocked off it easily when hitting a bump on a hill. So I can attest that "saucer sledding" can be a blast, but unpredictable...

New poster released the other day. Although I saw this at Super Hero Hype, some script keeps you from right click saving it, so this is a screen capture of it from there. I guess they like Chris Evans'... nose.

Although Marvel Studios' chief says international marketing concerns are a bit overblown, they are supposedly marketing the film more as "The First Avenger" in a variety of overseas markets, and de-emphasizing the "America" part in marketing and posters (though not changing the film itself).

Also, the star in the shield's center is replaced with a "Hello Kitty" logo, since everybody loves that. Just kidding. Hopefully...

Just for fur fun, I looked up some foreign versions of the various trailers (some just put subtitles on but retain the English audio). Here's the Korean...

Captain America teaser trailer w/ Korean subtitles.
http://www.twitvid.com/QJQLD
*The movie title comes up in Korean at the end as...

My phonetic Korean reading of it suggests it says "The First Avenger," and not "Captain America."

This is still my favorite of the early trailers. I am curious what the final orchestral music will sound like because I don't know of any of the trailers to this point have used the actual movie's music.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 03:13:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2011, 02:01:34 AM »

A little bit new TV Teaser Trailer went out today, this one playing up
Spoiler for Hiden:
frozen Captain angle
(which is no spoiler, unless you simply know nothing whatsoever about Captain America's back story). Outside of that bit, it seems simply a greatly time-compressed compilation of trailer footage to date.

New Captain America TV Spot
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167715-cool-new-captain-america-the-first-avenger-tv-spot

*After the teaser trailer, click through some of the videos there. There's a fairly amusing Dunkin Donuts ad, and a cool interview about the "transformation" of Chris Evans as the pre-serum Steve Rogers.  icon_cool

*Seems a little puzzling to me that the movie still hasn't gotten its MPAA rating yet.

P.S. Is the new spoiler button ("SP" instead of the nuke symbol) code supposed to look like this? It looks off above.  confused
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:12:27 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2011, 06:43:10 AM »

Aaaa, finally someone to cite other than SuperHeroHype...  icon_cool Very fascinating stuff about the "skinny" pre-serum effects for actor Chris Evans.

Director Joe Johnston Talks ‘Captain America’ & ‘The Rocketeer 2′
http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/news-and-features/features/movies/e3if59b6538fcf8c6c637df82f5a7cf3d79
FJI: The glimpses of the skinny, pre-super-serum Steve Rogers we see in the movie’s trailer are quite striking, particularly given how buff Chris Evans is as Captain America. How did you achieve that particular effect?

JJ: We used two major techniques. Most of the shots were done by an L.A. company called LOLA that specializes in digital "plastic surgery." The technique involved shrinking Chris in all dimensions.

We shot each skinny Steve scene at least four times; once like a normal scene with Chris and his fellow actors in the scene, once with Chris alone in front of a green screen so his element could be reduced digitally, again with everyone in the scene but with Chris absent so that the shrunken Steve could be re-inserted into the scene, and finally with a body double mimicking Chris's actions in case the second technique were required.

When Chris had to interact with other characters in the scene, we had to either lower Chris or raise the other actors on apple boxes or elevated walkways to make skinny Steve shorter in comparison. [Reminds me of the scenes with Hobbits in the LOTR films-bj]

For close-ups, Chris' fellow actors had to look at marks on his chin that represented where his eyes would be after the shrinking process, and Chris had to look at marks on the tops of the actor's head to represent their eyes. [OMG, that must've felt bizarre...-bj] These marks then had to be digitally removed in post-production.

The second technique involved grafting Chris's head onto the body double. This technique was used mostly when Chris was sitting or lying down, or when a minimum of physical acting was required, although the body double was an actor in his own right.

Unfortunately, the body double also proved to be too large and we usually had to shrink his element before we could graft Chris's shrunken head onto the body. Both techniques were time-consuming and immensely complicated for the visual-effects team, but the end result is quite amazing.
One can only hope Cap is successful enough to give Johnston the chance to ...
FJI: Are there any other comic-book heroes you’d be interested in bringing to the big screen?

JJ: I'd love to make a sequel to The Rocketeer. The film didn't do as well at the box office as we all hoped, but it has endured and generated a following. It was great fun and I'd love to re-explore Cliff Secord's world.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:48:00 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »

Would love to see Rocketeer 2.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 01, 2011, 12:48:20 PM

Would love to see Rocketeer 2.

this.  make it happen.

and get the first film out on blu ray!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »

If Joe J. got to do another (hey if Tron can get a sequel 28 years after release, a 1991 release like The Rocketeer has a chance, right?), I wonder if they'd just want to "reboot" the now 20 year old original film with young actors or let the now 51 year old Bill Campbell (now on TV in AMC's "The Killing") play an older model, so to speak. While Jennifer Connelly's still gorgeous, I doubt she'd want to re-visit the material at this stage of her career (she and Campbell were engaged and an "item" for a few years in early-mid 1990s).

I guess it's putting the wagon before the horses, since Cap has to be a blockbuster for Joe Johnston to have any Rocketeer revival weight to pull.  icon_smile

I do think it would be nice to give The Rocketeer a new release on BluRay and DVD, with some interviews and "looking back" featurettes and stuff. Bill Campbell still speaks warmly about making it, so I suspect he'd be game.
-----------
On Captain America, there are a couple more TV teaser trailers out. I didn't notice anything new* except maybe one second of Cap sliding his Thompson SMG into a holster of sorts on his motorcycle (29 sec mark of 2nd TV trailer below), and an official of some sort welcoming him (22 sec mark of the 1st TV trailer below). How's that for excessive TV teaser analysis?  icon_smile

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167731-two-more-captain-america-tv-spots
*Which is OK by me. Honestly, if they show any more footage in trailers for Cap, there won't be anything new to see at the theater!  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:26:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2011, 04:02:49 PM »

You didn't see this one, then...

Spoiler for Hiden:
...which has a big look at the discovery in ice.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 01, 2011, 04:02:49 PM

You didn't see this one, then...

Spoiler for Hiden:
...which has a big look at the discovery in ice.
I saw it but my post has scrolled to the wind.  icon_smile

It also kind of suggests how they'll handle it if they choose to focus future Cap films on his 1940s adventures, perhaps using the present as a framing device for remembering the past. Maybe not a million miles away from Saving Private Ryan in that respect.

While I'm wondering if maybe The Avengers might have a few Rogers' flashbacks to his 1940s past.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2011, 04:23:27 AM »

There's finally a chance to hear a good chunk (10 minutes+) of Alan Silvestri's musical score for this (most of the trailers don't appear to use the actual movie music, afik), via YouTube:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=40899
*At times, just a bit at the beginning, it reminds me of Jerry Goldsmith's score for Air Force One (1997).
====================

Some snaps of Cap's Harley-Davidson motorcycle:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=40813

I noticed in the latest TV teaser trailer, a few seconds of the motorcycle shooting out some sort of ... well, hook at the end of the rope that latches onto a tree and sets up a trip-up trap for pursuers (I just don't know what to call it  icon_confused)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:31:18 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »

New trailer before Transformers really got me hyped.  It proves to me that we're not only getting a Cap movie, we're getting a fun WWII adventure in the process.  Can't ask for more than that!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2011, 12:19:19 PM »

Looks like they'll keep the full movie title everywhere but Russia, the Ukraine and South Korea (in those locations, it'll just be called "The First Avenger"):

Soft-Pedal Captain America Overseas? Hollywood Says No
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/soft-pedal-captain-america-overseas-hollywood-says-no/?scp=1&sq=captain%20america&st=cse
Marvel and Paramount Pictures, which is distributing “Captain America: The First Avenger,” figured they would simply release the film as the truncated “The First Avenger” in foreign countries. But in a surprise, Paramount’s overseas operation objected, arguing that Captain America had too much brand value, even in spots like France that are leery of embracing Team America too readily.
Why the change in those [three] places? Spokeswomen for Marvel and Paramount declined to comment. But people with knowledge of the decision, speaking on the condition of anonymity to avoid a conflict with the studios, cited reasons of culture and politics in addition to brand awareness.

The cold war kept the comic book version of Captain America from putting down roots in Russia and Ukraine as he did elsewhere in the world, these people said. But anti-American sentiment was also a factor.

The studios ultimately decided too much ticket revenue was on the table in Russia and Ukraine, both fast-growing movie markets, to take a risk over the title.

South Korea is another story. Although that country is one of Hollywood’s top-performing territories, resentment about the continued presence of the United States military runs deep. Marvel and Paramount worry that those feelings are particularly strong among younger South Koreans, the ones who powered “Iron Man 2” to $27 million in ticket sales in that country last year.

Playing
PC
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »

Another thing that's struck me after watching all the trailers over the last few months is the lack of cynicism.  Both films set during the 40's that Johnston has made have been utterly devoid of any of that.  I really appreciate that and I think it lends a sincerity to his films that they need for their characters.  Both Cliff Secord (Rocketeer) and Steve Rogers (Cap) are products of a time in which the line between right and wrong seemed less blurry (axis = bad, allies = good...and everyone agreed with that...well, maybe not the axis  icon_wink) than today.  Sure, that period had a wealth of problems (civil rights, etc.), but the films Johnston are making are not about those things.

A lot of today's filmmakers would go out of their way to draw some parallel between the war on terror and the actions of their characters or superiors in their film, or make their characters cynical or self serving in some way, but Johnston is making films about heroes in a simpler age and I think that makes them resonate all the more with me.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2011, 04:17:14 AM »

Another way to sample some of Alan Silvestri's soundtrack for the film:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167743-captain-america-score-clips
*SPOILER WARNING: There are apparently some sort of text copy inserts that may be plot point *SPOILERS* so I dunno, maybe look away from your computer or minimize the browser while the music is playing.   paranoid

*NOTE: If you use the Firefox add-on "NoScript," look for "dmcd.net" (Daily Motion) and "allow" that script to enable the music player's audio-only. For me, if I only enabled that, it seems to prevent any "spoiler" text from showing.

I think from about 14:20 on seems like it might be the Official Captain America theme. Very stirring. icon_cool Makes you wanna enroll in a band/orchestra class...

And while I couldn't bring myself to buy a copy of GQ Magazine, there's a very entertaining interview/profile on Chris Evans in the current issue:
http://www.gq.com/entertainment
I skimmed it but there really wasn't enough new about the movie in it to warrant buying the issue. Unless you really want to see Evans wearing 25 different overpriced outfits.  Fabulous Johnston does talk in it a bit about how they did two casting rounds before thinking of inviting Evans, and the difficulty in making the character earnest without Rogers becoming boring or dull.

He does come across as very much the gentleman. It seems like getting this role at age 30 (rather than at 20-25) is probably for the best. He seems likely to weather the storm whether it's a huge hit or a big flop. While I'm obviously rooting for the former, in a world where something as critically ravaged as Transformers 3 makes a half billion $ worldwide opening weekend, who can predict anythingicon_smile
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:39:45 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2011, 04:44:02 AM »

OTOH, we may want to enjoy some Hayley Atwell Esquire photos. Revealing, if not scandalous.  Fabulous Bring your own!

Hayley Atwell Talks Captain America: TFA, Plus Pics From Her Esquire ShootHayley Atwell Talks Captain America: TFA, Plus Pics From Her Esquire Shoot
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=41035

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 06, 2011, 04:44:02 AM

OTOH, we may want to enjoy some Hayley Atwell Esquire photos. Revealing, if not scandalous.  Fabulous Bring your own!

Hayley Atwell Talks Captain America: TFA, Plus Pics From Her Esquire ShootHayley Atwell Talks Captain America: TFA, Plus Pics From Her Esquire Shoot

like they say in the comments:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 06, 2011, 08:11:56 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on July 06, 2011, 04:44:02 AM

like they say in the comments:

LOL at the gif.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »

Too bad she's a lot more "buttoned up" in the movie, right?  icon_razz Actually, I do think it's pretty cool her Peggy Carter is a butt-kicking, pistol and SMG-toting gal, rather than eye candy being dragged around on Steve Rogers' arm, as is want to happen in many a big summer movie.

I imagine in next summer's The Avengers, he'll have some misty-eyed memories of her.  tear

And I'm wrong about Silvestri's music. I think what it really reminds me of is some of my favorite tracks on the Medal of Honor: Allied Assault PC game by composer Michael Giacchino (who later transitioned from game music to big Hollywood films, including JJ Abrams' Star Trek and Super Cool, which is not a bad thing in my book.  icon_cool Though maybe it's more likely that Giacchino takes his cue from Silvestri, who's a lot older.  icon_smile
-----------------------
Couple new featurettes w/ interviews, by something called EpixHD.com:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167761-two-new-captain-america-the-first-avenger-featurettes

The Super Hero Hype site also mentioned finding some extended footage in a featurette piece posted some weeks ago about the different shields in the film:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167621-chris-evans-on-captain-americas-shield
*NOTE: Try not to be bothered by the constant reminder that this featurette was Sponsored by NortonTM by Symantec icon_razz It gets almost comical...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:35:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 06, 2011, 05:14:27 PM

*NOTE: Try not to be bothered by the constant reminder that this featurette was Sponsored by NortonTM by Symantec icon_razz It gets almost comical...

Ha! Norton will forever be synonymous with Dokken now and can't be taken seriously anymore.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2011, 01:58:12 AM »

No doubt Chris Evans wants one of these...  icon_smile

Slideshow Collectibles Captain America: The First Avenger Premium Format Figure!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=40989

The cost? A mere $349.99!  icon_eek icon_eek
Captain America Premium Format Figure
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=300114&ref=search&&300114
Celebrating the much-anticipated Independence Day release [oops?] of the Captain America: The First Avenger film comes the Captain America Premium Format figure captures every aspect of the MARVEL patriot with stunning realism. Each piece is individually painted and finished, each with its own unique quality and detail that is the trademark of a handcrafted Sideshow Collectibles product. Featuring real fabric costume detail and switch-out helmeted or unhelmeted portraits, the Captain America Premium Format Figure is an outstanding addition to any Marvel collection.

If that's too rich for your blood, the regular 12" action figure is a a mere $169.99!  icon_eek
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901384&ref=home&free-ship&prod_push
Sideshow Collectibles and Hot Toys are proud to present the Captain America 12-inch Figure from the upcoming summer blockbuster Captain America: The First Avenger movie. The movie-accurate collectible is specially crafted based on the image of Chris Evans as Captain America in his hero costume in the movie, highlighting the newly developed head sculpt, highly detailed costume and weapons.

The Captain America 12 inch Figure features:

Authentic and detailed likeness of Chris Evans as Captain America in the Captain America: The First Avenger movie
    Stands approximately 30 cm tall
    Helmeted head
    Muscular body with over 30 points of articulations
    Hand-painted, movie-accurate facial expression with detailed wrinkles and skin texture
    Nine (9) pieces of interchangeable gloved palms including:
    One (1) pair of palms for holding shield
    One (1) pair of palms for wielding shield
    One (1) right palm for holding gun
    One (1) pair of relaxed palms
    One (1) pair of fists
    One (1) blue and off-white jacket with embossed pattern as well as stars in chest and arms
    One (1) pair of grey and red suspenders
    One (1) pair of blue pants
    One (1) brown faux-leather belt with pouches and pistol sheath
    One (1) pair of brown boots
    One (1) metallic electroplated shield
    One (1) machine gun
    One (1) pistol
    Figure stand with Captain America nameplate and movie logo[talk about detail...]

They're apparently also planning to offer a "life size bust" of Captain America. A mere $599! Technically this is a comic tie-in and not a direct movie tie-in I guess, but clearly they're hoping the movie will be a marketing bonanza for 'em.

Captain America Life-Size Bust
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=400105

Sorry, they're not offering Hayley Atwell's "bust," sorry to disappoint you.  tear  Fabulous

They really do have some amazing stuff, including from Star Wars, Aliens stuff, Lord of the Rings films and many others.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:09:26 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »

Wow, although you glimpse Dum Dum Dugan (the Howling Commando member w/ the derby hat) in trailers, I had no idea he was played by Neal McDonough (who's in all sorts of things but I remember him most from the Band of Brothers series and maybe the movie Minority Report):

Neal McDonough On Captain America 'Dum Dum Dugan' Role & Marvel's Approach
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=41164
Foremost, considering joining the cast a “blessing, just the greatest thing,” McDonough revealed he wore padding and “got to eat a lot of chocolate cake” to bulk up for his role as the full-figured Dugan.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2011, 03:31:11 AM »

Since I was curious earlier why Green Lantern was playing in so relatively few international locations so far, I found it educational to view Captain America's international release sked. In some cases, it won't hit theaters in other countries until as late Oct. 15 (Japan) or September (Lebanon, United Arab Emirates, Greece and Turkey):
http://captainamerica.marvel.com/intl/releasedates/release-dates.html

So perhaps that's the case with Green Lantern too, and maybe it'll start releasing in some more countries around the end of this month or so.
===================
I missed this cool painted poster that Comic Book Movie mentioned last month:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=39254

Here's the poster that Marvel arranged as a gift to cast and crew, and the Hero Complex blog gave out as a contest prize.

*I'm pretty sure Cap doesn't actually get to punch out Adolph in the film. I think that's metaphorical.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:41:50 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2011, 04:00:18 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 08, 2011, 03:31:11 AM

Since I was curious earlier why Green Lantern was playing in so relatively few international locations so far, I found it educational to view Captain America's international release sked. In some cases, it won't hit theaters in other countries until as late Oct. 15 (Japan) or September (Lebanon, United Arab Emirates, Greece and Turkey):

IMDB is your friend.

Green Lantern gets to Japan on July 22nd, Australia and others in August.  Bulgaria gets to wait until September 2nd.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 08, 2011, 03:31:11 AM

*I'm pretty sure Cap doesn't actually get to punch out Adolph in the film. I think that's metaphorical.  icon_razz

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »

icon_lol

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »

Clearly, Cap should've punched him harder...  icon_twisted

I saw this strange, b/w WWII-set film as a kid where these French resistance agents manage to kidnap Hitler while he's visiting France. They shave off his moustache (!), change his hair style a bit and dress him in bum's clothing. At some point he gets out of their hands, but when he runs up to some German Gestapo for help screaming that it's, well, Adolph, and pleading for help, he runs off, and they yell at him to stop; a German officer shoots him dead in the back with a Luger. The French agents see this but are captured, and later lined up in a firing squad, dying with smiles on their faces. So strange, and to this day, I don't know the name of the movie...
===================
I'm sure Adolph made cameos in the early comics, I just doubt he shows up in the movie. That might "jump the shark"  icon_razz But they did do that in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

New round of photos (13 of them) from the film:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167781-more-captain-america-photos-revealed
The Howard Stark photo would be a good multiple choice question. Is he:
-Using two soft-serve ice cream dispensers
-Wielding two Artificial arms
-Directing landing planes at an airport
-Wielding a pair of dual light sabers  icon_razz
-Or...?
===========
The Hayley Atwell pic suggests we not expect Band of Brothers style, relatively authentic WWII combat tactics. It'll be more like "Run wildly! Shoot randomly! Try not to hit each other! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!"  icon_smile But hey, it's the "Marvel WWII," I'll embrace that.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:47:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »

So is anyone else wondering where the second bullet is coming from in the movie poster?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: