http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 03:24:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] First Avenger: Captain America  (Read 18576 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »

I think I made a plexiglass cube like that back in 7th grade shop class in 1978.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 25, 2011, 09:03:09 PM

I think I made a plexiglass cube like that back in 7th grade shop class in 1978.  icon_smile

Yes, but did it allow you to bend all reality to your will?     Mine just had family pictures in it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »

Now THIS is the Red Skull I remember...  icon_twisted icon_cool

'Captain America': First look at Red Skull!
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/03/captain-america-red-skull-first-look-exclusive/

From what Johnston says, he thankfully didn't have to weave in Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. references as Iron Man 2 did. The end of the film (is it spoiling things to say Cap doesn't get killed off? icon_razz) "hands him off" to the upcoming Avengers film.

I can understand the film shifting from its title here to "The First Avenger" in Russia and Ukraine... but South Korea? That one I don't get.  icon_confused I'm part Korean, I have Korean relatives who love to visit the U.S. (when they can afford the flight fare), I don't really sense releasing it as "Captain America" would offend anyone in South Korea. Besides, do they just change every reference in the film's script from "Captain America" to "The First Avenger."? That could be amusing...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:00:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2011, 02:27:23 AM »

I notice the Red Skull's  uniform lacks any German Wehrmacht or SS insignia, but does have a Hydra belt buckle.  If I remember rightly,in the comics the Red Skull was one of Hitler's special ops men in WWII.  a bit like Otto Skorzeny.    After Germany's defeat, Hydra was set up by former Nazis as an international criminal organization (kind of loosely based on ODESSA in real life or SPECTRE from James Bond).      From the picture, it looks like Hydra will be part of the Axis in the war.

He is a mean looking SOB,  and Hugo Weaving is a terrific actor.  Should be a fun movie.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »

I hope to have the new print EW issue in my mailbox when I get home today. If there's any fresh info, images etc. I'll holler here.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »

Hero Complex looks at 18 stills from the film. Not much new (maybe nothing new?), but some are maybe crisper detail than we've seen elsewhere:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/03/22/captain-america-a-look-at-18-images-from-the-new-film/

I don't recall reading this tidbit from last August -- Joss Whedon (developing and to direct The Avengers film) was apparently brought in to help a bit on the Captain America screenplay:
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2010/08/25/whedon-talks-captain-america-rewrites/
“I just got to make some character connections,” said Whedon of his work on the “Captain America” screenplay. “The structure of the thing was really tight and I loved it, but there were a couple of opportunities to find his voice a little bit — and some of the other characters — and make the connections so that you understood exactly why he wanted to be who he wanted to be.”

Whedon, who has a varied history of script-doctoring on films such as “Speed” and “Waterworld,” may have experienced a more ideal editing process in the comic-based playground of this latest project.

“It’s fun in this case,” said Whedon, “because, A, they’ll actually use the things I wrote, which is rare; and, B, it’s a fun puzzle to go in and say, ‘Okay, this is what works, this is what needs to be connected, and here are some key moments.’ Then the third thing is that it takes place in the ’40s, so I got to write ’40s dialogue, and that’s never not fun!”
I had read about him making some key improvements to Graham Yost's "Speed" screenplay, which was apparently considered too much of a Die Hard-clone and too wisecracking in its humor. Which isn't to say Speed is high art, but I get the impression much of what charm it did have was from Whedon's late work and revisions on it. It seems like a good sign if he did some work on the Captain America script.

What can one say about Waterworld? Perhaps he helped keep it from being worse. Although I know people who claim it's a good, "misunderstood" film.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:19:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »

Keeping his origin grounded in WWII for the majority (if not all) of the film was the best damn call they could make.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:20 PM »

The stills are looking really good!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 23, 2011, 06:15:28 PM

Keeping his origin grounded in WWII for the majority (if not all) of the film was the best damn call they could make.

I heard the WWII part is going to turn out to be a Matrix like reality at the end, and that he was never actually in WWII.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »

New Trailer

sooo good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 24, 2011, 12:46:40 PM

New Trailer

sooo good.

looks great thumbsup

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »

The first few trailers have left me a bit apprehensive.  I still had every intention of seeing it in theaters, but my expectations were definitely tempered.

I'm now in big time

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »

I've seen some pretty terrible movies that had awesome trailers. That's the whole point of a trailer -- get you excited about something regardless of whether it's a good film or not.  icon_smile

I do see more promise and appreciation of Steve Rogers in it than the previous trailers so thumbs up on the trailer itself -- and of course finally getting to see the shield tossed was a treat.  thumbsup icon_cool Although the whole "digitally stick Chris Evans' face on, apparently, Blackjack's 1982 body  icon_razz" effects gimmick kind of gives me the creeps. Though I wouldn't have suggested he go the Christian Bale-in-The-Machinist technique of starvation for the role.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:00:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2011, 03:00:47 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 24, 2011, 02:29:05 PM

New Trailer

sooo good.

looks great thumbsup

oh hellz yeah.  With this, Thor, Transformers 3, Kung Fu Panda 2, PotC 4, Green Lantern, Super 8 and Cowboys & Aliens it's going to be a great summer of movies.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2011, 03:01:01 PM »

Now that looks good!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 24, 2011, 03:00:47 PM

New Trailer

sooo good.

looks great thumbsup

oh hellz yeah.  With this, Thor, Transformers 3, Kung Fu Panda 2, PotC 4, Green Lantern, Super 8 and Cowboys & Aliens it's going to be a great summer of movies.

I'm going to predict that only half those movies are good.  I'm hoping they all are, but that's my prediction.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 24, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 24, 2011, 03:00:47 PM

New Trailer

sooo good.

looks great thumbsup

I'm going to predict that only half those movies are good.  I'm hoping they all are, but that's my prediction.

They will all be acceptable popcorn flick movies that the Internet will dub the worst movies ever.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »

Hey the trailer's up in nicer detail at official site now:
http://captainamerica.marvel.com/

I believe you can d/l HD versions (up to 1080p) from Apple's site:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/captainamericathefirstavenger/
*Click the tiny inverted triangle next to "Watch Now" to get the download menu for the HD versions, and for the iPhone/iPod Touch size version.

MTV did a "shot-by-shot" video analysis of the trailer fwiw:
'Captain America' Trailer Commentary: A Shot-By-Shot Analysis
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/03/24/captain-america-trailer-commentary/

I was reading some older interviews with director Joe Johnston. He was coming off a really bad, rushed experienced on The Wolfman (where he was apparently called in late in the movie production and had little time to prepare). Apparently on this, Marvel was very generous with prep time, and he had something like 32 weeks just to prepare for the film (consider how rushed Favreau was on both Iron Man films by comparison, though I don't know the exact difference) and raved about the quality of the people and various crews and effects teams he got to work with.

This doesn't guarantee CA will be a great film (sometimes chaos breeds greatness, right?), but it at least sounds like the director was happy with the experience and his treatment by the studio.
==================
I hadn't read much about Hayley Atwell, who plays the butt-kicking British officer Peggy Carter. There was a Dec. interview with her:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/more-arts-entertainment-news/hayley-atwell-on-any-human-heart-and-flirting-with-captain-america-1.1068462

If that's too much of a wall-of-text, there's a lighter "sprint" through the Captain America-related highlights here (cherry picking from the above interview article):
http://www.movieweb.com/news/hayley-atwell-talks-peggy-carter-in-captain-america-the-first-avenger
Heroines in comic-book action films tend towards the one-dimensional, but Atwell says her Peggy Carter – freedom fighter and Captain America’s love interest – is different.

“I likened her character to that famous Ginger Rogers quote. She can do everything Captain America can do, but backwards and in high heels. She’s an English soldier through and through, although she always looks fabulous. She might stand there with a machine-gun shooting Nazis, but she’s obviously gone to the loo beforehand and applied a bit of lipstick. She doesn’t need to be rescued. That’s exciting to me – her strength.”
Female leads in action films have a tendency to be chewed up and forgotten by Hollywood. “I’ve seen that happen many times and I don’t want that,” says Atwell. “That’s why I went to drama school. I wanted a foundation and I wanted it in theatre because there are a lot more roles for women in theatre than film.”

Citing the careers of Judi Dench and Helen Mirren as inspiration, Atwell is preparing for the long haul. “Ultimately, if you have talent, it will always be there,” she says. “If you depend too much on your beauty or a visual presence in films, you’re in for a shock when people don’t want you any more because they only wanted you for one thing.”
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:22:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »

Captain America - FUCK YEAH!. You knew it was coming but this is awesome beyond words.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2011, 02:46:25 PM »

USA Today article basically says that Cap is Superman in personality.  I'd have to agree.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2011, 07:47:10 AM »

I took some screen caps of Trailer... (hopefully Marvel won't mind -- I'm helping promote, right? icon_smile ) These are big but rather low rez captures so fairly small (50kb etc.).

Captain America 1.0 (i.e., before the costume, and using the initial more square shield)/Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) and Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) see the Red Skull's "true face" for the first time...

...and you see why they react that way.  icon_eek (this is glimpsed in the trailer for just a split second)

The Red Skull's troops toast him. No "heil" salutes -- they raise both arms simultaneously instead.

Captain 2.0 (w/ costume and iconic circulator shield) and his squad. Mmmm, not exactly moving tactically, and the other guys probably wish they had a shield.  icon_wink I think that's Bucky to the left of Cap, but I'm not familiar enough with Sebastian Stan to be sure. Note the presumably British solder at far left using a Bren SMG. The guy at right with a derby hat uses a shotgun and judging from the trailer, seems to be a prominent character (I don't remember enough CA history to know).

Presumably the modern Captain America in next year's Avengers movie won't be running around with a Colt .45, but it makes sense for the WWII iteration, imho.

About to whack a baddie with his shield. It's more impressive in motion.  icon_smile I'm sure it's either a stuntman twisting away from the shield at the last second, or perhaps being jerked away by a cord, but it was pretty cool on film.

A glimpse of the back of the shield which presumably has two riveted-on loops for his arm. This is from when he catches his shield on the rebound in the film trailer.

Cap's shield (he's in the background, upper right) bounces off a curved wall, and then flies towards the camera in the film trailer's finale.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »

Dum Dum in the derby!  Dum Dum!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »

Dum Dum it is.  icon_smile

The scans are awfully grainy, but Super Hero Hype posted some behind-the-scenes pix from a USA Today article the other day:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/161236-captain-america-behind-the-scenes-pics

One thing has me curious though. Whedon's The Avengers movie presumably is set in modern-day so it's after Captain America/Steve Rogers is dug out of his freezing "suspended animation" situation before that. I think (maybe I'm wrong) Hayley Atwell said she signed up to do more than one Captain America movie.

So I dunno -- I know she's not in the modern day stuff (she wasn't frozen like Cap, at least if I remember the comics correctly). So I'm curious if the Captain America series (assuming this origin film is successful this summer) will stay in the 1940s while The Avengers is set in the modern day. Otherwise, I don't understand how she'd be signed for multiple films, unless she was playing her granddaughter or something in later films (crazy, but entirely possible  icon_razz)

Then again, maybe this summer's film ends with him in his frozen suspended animation and that would set the stage nicely for a way for Whedon's Avengers to start next summer. It would be like waiting 3 years for Han Solo to get out of his Carbonite.  icon_cool

From the CA Wiki entry:
In late April 1945, during the closing days of World War II, Captain America and Bucky try to stop the villainous Baron Zemo from destroying an experimental drone plane. Zemo launches the plane with an armed explosive on it, with Rogers and Barnes in hot pursuit. They reach the plane just before it takes off, but when Bucky tries to defuse the bomb, it explodes in mid-air.

The young man is believed killed, and Rogers is hurled into the freezing waters of the North Atlantic. Neither body is found, and both are presumed dead. It is later revealed that neither character actually died.
It wouldn't surprise me if they wedged that into this summer's movie, with the Red Skull instead of "Zemo" using the drone plane.

Anyway, I don't really favor one way or the other. I'm just eager to see how they work those plot points out.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:39:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2011, 03:47:39 AM »

LA Times' Hero Complex interviews director Joe Johnston (who has a Raiders of the Lost Ark fixation:  icon_cool
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/03/28/captain-america-directors-default-what-would-indiana-jones-do/
“We used ‘Raiders’ as a template when we were developing the story, but we sort of moved away from it as time went on,” Johnston said. “This is futurism in the 1940s; if you went to 1942 and thought of what the future would be, that’s what the approach was. The villain has a much more futuristic style and his science and his apparatus — he has a whole design motif that is beyond 1942 but it’s what you might have perceived as futuristic from a 1942 vantage point.”

He added: “So we went away from the ‘Raiders’ template in that sense but where we sort of stuck with it was in the structure and the action and the way the main characters are thrown into these situations and then have to get themselves out of them.”

Johnston said the way the films are linked — in their rhythm — may be easier to see from the viewpoint of a moviemaker rather than a moviegoer. “When you sit down to watch it, it’s certainly not ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark,’ which is a very different kind of film in the final analysis. But sometimes when we had questions and we were stuck we would say, ‘What would Indiana Jones do?  What would be the answer to this in “Raiders of the Lost Ark”?’  I’ve always loved ‘Raiders’ and the great achievement of it was the tone and the fresh feeling of the movie. It was period but didn’t feel like it was made in the period. It felt like a contemporary film about this period in the past, and that is the goal we have with ‘Captain America.’ And I can say this — it definitely has an Indiana Jones pace.”
I can't believe Raiders' 30th anniversary of its release is coming up in May. As much as I love yakking about movies online, I can still get wistful for days when you might actually go into a film having heard nothing about it. I had only skimmed one enthusiastic Washington Post review at the time my brother and I caught it during a stopover in Hawaii on summer break from Korea in 1981. I literally thought it was a movie about a doctor (M.D. kind).  icon_razz

imho these days people know way too much about a movie (any big movie) by the time they see it. The chances anything in the movie might pleasantly suprise them seem about nil -- they probably already saw all the best parts in the trailer and umpteen TV spots. I could change that for myself by unplugging and becoming a total Luddite, but I lack the commitment necessary, thus I am a hypocrite.  icon_smile

In most ways I'm not envious of my 16 year old self, who was really kind of a mess. I do envy his movie theater experiences, and not just because his ticket prices were $2-$3 on the Army base and maybe $4.50 when visiting stateside in Summer.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:52:24 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2011, 05:20:01 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 29, 2011, 03:47:39 AM

imho these days people know way too much about a movie (any big movie) by the time they see it. The chances anything in the movie might pleasantly suprise them seem about nil -- they probably already saw all the best parts in the trailer and umpteen TV spots. I could change that for myself by unplugging and becoming a total Luddite, but I lack the commitment necessary, thus I am a hypocrite.  icon_smile

In most ways I'm not envious of my 16 year old self, who was really kind of a mess. I do envy his movie theater experiences, and not just because his ticket prices were $2-$3 on the Army base and maybe $4.50 when visiting stateside in Summer.  icon_smile

You can still do this.  When I go watch movies, I know very little about them.  I go in with the same attitude I had when I was a kid and that is why I can enjoy all these movies many of the posters on this forum seem to have issues with.  Transformers?  No problem.  Spider Man 3?  Loved it.  Indy 4?  More, please.  I go into these things with very little expectation and always come out amused.  It's great.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »

Some navel-gazing from the Captain America screenwriters (like me, you probably won't recognize their names) about sequel possibilities, all predicated on whether the July film sinks or swims...

Writers Talk "Captain America" Sequel Plans
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/20210/writers-talk-captain-america-sequel-plans
"We're very early, still. This is the fun part — when we can say, "Hey, we can do this!" and everyone says, "Yeah!" No one says anything negative at this point in the process" says Markus. "We have a million great ideas and haven't thrown any of them out yet. That being said, it's sort of a weirdly huge opportunity for storytelling in that you know modern Cap through the Avengers at that point, and just by the nature of what we were talking about before, there's going to be a lot of his World War II history we haven't shown. We're going to have two entire timelines to play with.
Sorry but I can't warm up to Spidey 3 no matter my expectations. Those weren't expectations for me based on over-hype but on genuine affection for Spider-Man 2. Spidey 3 to me felt like it was made by some other team. It doesn't seem like Raimi or Sony were happy with it either.

I had a great time with Indy 4 and saw it three times. It maybe didn't age well in my memory after Summer 2008 (I declined to buy it on DVD, and yes the "lead lined refrigerator" bothered me the more I thought about it), but in the moment, getting to see my favorite actor and character on screen again after 19 years away? I was happy.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:58:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2011, 01:02:33 AM »

Some Chris Evans interview-dom at USA Weekend:
http://whosnews.usaweekend.com/2011/04/chris-evans-on-being-the-star-spangled-superhero-of-captain-america/
Some interesting bits about the combination "digitization" (when moving) and "head pasted on another actor's body" (when still) of him into the initially scrawny and shorter Steve Rogers:
They Benjamin Buttoned you a little bit and digitally made you a 98-pound weakling at the beginning of the movie. What was it like seeing that part after you’ve just gone and worked out hard for three months?

Well, it wasn’t that foreign to me because that’s what I looked like for a big chunk of my life. [Laughs] When I saw it, I was like, “My family is gonna die.” This is what I looked like for all of all middle school. Up until maybe sophomore year, I was a pretty skinny kid for a long time. It looks pretty normal.

It was a crazy process doing that stuff. They went back and forth on the type of technology they were going to use. Initially, they were just going to do body shrinking [via digital FX], and then they thought, “Well, maybe we can get another skinny actor and put Chris’ head on it,” and I really, really was against that. I said to Joe, “Look, I know we want this to look good and this effect to not be distracting from the film, but it has to be my performance. I don’t want to share this. Your body is a huge piece of the acting puzzle, and I don’t want to have somebody else’s body tell the story that I’m trying to tell.”

So they did some tweaking and they did a bunch of tests and we went back to the initial plan to shrink my body. Anytime my body’s completely still, if I’m lying on that bed or if I’m sitting in a chair not moving, it was easier for them to put my head on a smaller body.

But anytime there was movement or action or acting involved, Joe and I were pretty adamant about saying, “Look, you’ve got to shrink me down.” And they did. I haven’t seen the film yet, but I’ve seen a couple different scenes of the shrunken stuff and it looks amazing.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2011, 02:52:40 AM »

[If you watch the video closely, something of a *SPOILER*]
Video of some shooting (perhaps a late reshoot or addition) for Captain America, in New York City:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/166519-captain-america-scene-filmed-in-new-york-on-saturday
*Director Joe Johnston's distinctive mug (face) is there, so you know this presumably isn't for the Avengers film.

Evans seems to be in the basic clothing (t-shirt, khaki pants) that he seems to wear in the trailers when he's first testing out his ... Super SerumTM strength and agility.

Spoiler for Hiden:
*He seems to be shaking hands with Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury character though, who is decidedly not a WWII-era character.  confused So this could be well be some sort of "connective tissue" bridge to the Avengers film.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:59:27 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2011, 03:23:51 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 25, 2011, 02:52:40 AM

Video of some shooting (perhaps a late reshoot or addition) for Captain America, in New York City:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/166519-captain-america-scene-filmed-in-new-york-on-saturday
*Director Joe Johnston's distinctive mug (face) is there, so you know this presumably isn't for the Avengers film.

Evans seems to be in the basic clothing (t-shirt, khaki pants) that he seems to wear in the trailers when he's first testing out his ... Super SerumTM strength and agility.

Spoiler for Hiden:
*He seems to be shaking hands with Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury character though, who is decidedly not a WWII-era character.  confused So this could be well be some sort of "connective tissue" bridge to the Avengers film.

I thought Nick Fury was from WWII...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2011, 04:07:57 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 25, 2011, 03:23:51 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on April 25, 2011, 02:52:40 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I thought Nick Fury was from WWII...

yep, Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos.  He takes the Infinity Formula:

Nick Fury's aging has been slowed greatly by the Infinity Formula, a serum created by Dr. Berthold Sternberg. Fury was first inoculated with the serum in the 1940s. Fury took the serum annually for many years. Due to its cumulative effect, Fury no longer needs additional doses to prolong his life span. Nick Fury is a highly athletic man despite his advanced chronological age. He has 95% vision loss in his injured left eye, over which he wears a cosmetic eyepatch.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2011, 09:49:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Samuel Jackson-played Nick Fury of the films (I don't mean the comic book Nick Fury) was not running around in 1942. Unless you're asking me to buy that the Nick Fury in Iron Man 1 & 2 is about 92 years old because he Eats His Wheaties.  icon_razz So sure that's what the comic Wikis say (they'll also tell you Tony Stark escaped from a Vietnam War era camp, not Afghanistan -- the comics and films can be vastly different nowadays), but imho if the newly shot footage is from 1940s, it makes no sense with Samuel Jackson's take, unless they also want to lump HIM in a block of ice and suspended animation too... icon_confused

Some more blah blah from Hero Complex blog:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/04/27/captain-america-chris-evans-says-cg-team-nailed-it-with-frail-steve-rogers-scenes/
The film will have some darker nuances to it – the character of Bucky is far more haunted than the vintage version from comic books, for instance, and Captain America chafes at the way his government handlers spin his public persona.
Some of this seems re-hashed from other interviews (maybe it was a group press interview) but that bit stood out to me.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »

Wait,  you'll buy that Captain America survives floating around frozen in an iceberg for several decades but not that there could be a formula that keeps Nick Fury young?  and that's just the tip of the iceberg for stuff that is going to be out there in the movie.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 28, 2011, 09:49:24 PM

I'm pretty sure the Samuel Jackson-played Nick Fury of the films (I don't mean the comic book Nick Fury) was not running around in 1942. Unless you're asking me to buy that the Nick Fury in Iron Man 1 & 2 is about 92 years old because he Eats His Wheaties.  icon_razz So sure that's what the comic Wikis say (they'll also tell you Tony Stark escaped from a Vietnam War era camp, not Afghanistan -- the comics and films can be vastly different nowadays), but imho if the newly shot footage is from 1940s, it makes no sense with Samuel Jackson's take, unless they also want to lump HIM in a block of ice and suspended animation too... icon_confused

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/04/27/captain-america-chris-evans-says-cg-team-nailed-it-with-frail-steve-rogers-scenes/
The film will have some darker nuances to it – the character of Bucky is far more haunted than the vintage version from comic books, for instance, and Captain America chafes at the way his government handlers spin his public persona.
Some of this seems re-hashed from other interviews (maybe it was a group press interview) but that bit stood out to me.

I think you're completely glossing over who Nick Fury actually is...  even in Ultimate where he looks like Sam Jackson, he's really old.  He just doesn't age much at all.  For someone constantly posting so much information, you are sometimes humorously uninformed.  O_o
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2011, 12:03:22 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 28, 2011, 10:56:05 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on April 28, 2011, 09:49:24 PM

I think you're completely glossing over who Nick Fury actually is...  even in Ultimate where he looks like Sam Jackson, he's really old.  He just doesn't age much at all.  For someone constantly posting so much information, you are sometimes humorously uninformed.  O_o

From what I remember of the old Marvel comics,  the original Nick Fury (the white one) originally appeared in "Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos",  a war comic set in the Second World War that debuted in 1963.    A few months later,  Marvel introduced an older version of that same character into the present day (1963).    The former WWII Commando was now a Secret Agent with the super spy agency S.H.I.E.L.D.    As the years wore on, the writers got around the fact that Fury was getting way too old to be an active Field Agent by saying he'd been taking the "Infinity Formula", which slowed his aging.    This was the original timeline that wound up retconning Captain America, Wolverine, and others into Fury's WWII missions.

In 2002,  Mark Millar  used Nick Fury in his Ultimates comic series.  The Ultimates is a different take on the Marvel Super Hero team "The Avengers", set in a completely different continuity from the regular Marvel comics.  In it, Fury is black and based on Samuel L. Jackson.  He is the Head of the spy agency S.H.I.E.L.D.,  but the WWII backstory was not originally used, and he is considered to be a normally aging man (in his 50's I believe).  Later, writers retconned in additional back story involving him serving in WWII and taking an anti-aging formula.      Comic writers are notoriously bad about monkeying around with continuity and what they've already established as history.  Plus nobody ever stays dead.      I suppose this is the same problem Soap Opera writers have.  When you're forced to write a huge number of stories about characters with 20+ years of back story meeting your deadline takes precedence over established continuity.

The movie makers seem to be using the Mark Millar created Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury without the additional baggage of the anti aging formula and serving in WWII.   Although the movie trailer shows Captain America and what looks like the Howling Commandos bursting through a door,  guns blazing,   Fury is noticeably absent.    Honestly having to explain Fury serving in WWII and still being young in the present due to an anti-aging formula would be too much extraneous plot for a two hour movie that's not even about him,  plus it would really take a lot away from the uniqueness of Captain America's Rip Van Winkle situation he finds himself in.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2011, 12:33:28 AM »

I'd like to see them not even address it, but have it in anyway slywink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2011, 03:55:15 AM »

I was watching some interview snippets (MTV) at comicbookmovie.com...

Terribly big spoiler, though maybe it's kind of "duh"...
Spoiler for Hiden:
It makes sense -- Evans said First Avenger ends by bringing Cap into modern times, thus setting up The Avengers. But it's kind of a bummer if i you were hoping for more Cap films set in the 1940s (barring time-travel or prequels). I don't see how Hayley Atwell's character can continue past the first film either unless she gets frozen like Cap. And he gets a new costume for Avengers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:56:58 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2011, 04:02:06 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 24, 2011, 03:55:15 AM

I was watching some interview snippets (MTV) at comicbookmovie.com...

Terribly big spoiler, though maybe it's kind of "duh"...
Spoiler for Hiden:
It makes sense -- Evans said First Avenger ends by bringing Cap into modern times, thus setting up The Avengers. But it's kind of a bummer if i you were hoping for more Cap films set in the 1940s (barring time-travel or prequels). I don't see how Hayley Atwell's character can continue past the first film either unless she gets frozen like Cap. And he gets a new costume for Avengers.

Spoiler for Hiden:
unless they do some jumping forward in the timeline during the movie (i.e. '6 months later') I'd say prequels are right out.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »

Stumbled onto a year-old interview with British actress Hayley Atwell (Peggy Carter in the movie) at the BAFTA TV Craft Awards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93UxeCLUcLQ
*She starts talking about the Captain America movie at about the 2:25 mark.

She seems quite charming. I hope she's able to remain in the movies past the origin story.  icon_smile She talks about going to see Iron Man 2 with Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan (Bucky) at that time (May 2010).

I never got around to seeing AMC's The Prisoner and didn't realize she was in that, it was her first TV project she seemed to indicate.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:53:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2011, 01:29:10 AM »

WANT.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2011, 01:59:52 AM »

Holy shit, that's awesome.  I wish that was the national poster.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: