http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Ender's Game  (Read 3770 times)
McNutt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Agreed.  The trailer doesn't indicate that Ender knows he's killing the Formics.  In the book he saw a realistic simulation and for all he knows that shot of the explosion is just what he thought was part of the simulation.  I can't imagine them changing that aspect of the book.  That would be a MAJOR change and a MAJOR mistake IMO.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on May 08, 2013, 03:52:03 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Agreed.  The trailer doesn't indicate that Ender knows he's killing the Formics.  In the book he saw a realistic simulation and for all he knows that shot of the explosion is just what he thought was part of the simulation.  I can't imagine them changing that aspect of the book.  That would be a MAJOR change and a MAJOR mistake IMO.

Spoiler for Hiden:
And more or less ruin the coolest part of the story.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »

If you're in a thread about Ender's Game and you don't know the story and don't want it spoiled, just go ready the damn book.  There's a reason it's considered a scifi classic.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »

There's plenty of classics of literature, scifi or not, that I haven't read, but still would be interested in the story for, and any turns it might take.

Especially so if there's a new movie about it. Keep the spoiler tags please, even if I already know the story, others appreciate the courtesy.

Also, what's the deal with the F-22s? I know the book was written a while ago, but what's the gap between the first alien attacks and the start of Ender's Game?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »

Agreed. 

I've read EG, but it's not required reading to see the movie.  The thread is about the movie.  Use spoiler tags.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2013, 06:14:00 AM

There's plenty of classics of literature, scifi or not, that I haven't read, but still would be interested in the story for, and any turns it might take.

Especially so if there's a new movie about it. Keep the spoiler tags please, even if I already know the story, others appreciate the courtesy.

Also, what's the deal with the F-22s? I know the book was written a while ago, but what's the gap between the first alien attacks and the start of Ender's Game?

It's something like
Spoiler for Hiden:
50-60 years
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »

After checking what's come out recently about this movie, I stand by my original comment that it'll be mediocre -to- crap in quality due to the production team. The miscasting of key roles IMO is just a symptom of that.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »

Kind of curious if church groups are going to arrange group viewings of this to support OSC much in the manner they tried to boycott The Golden Compass to protest Philip Pullman.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »

Don't be intolerant by boycotting Card's movie because of his intolerance towards gays.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 11:21:25 PM »

I'm glad I was able to enjoy his book in high school before OSC started his public spiral into crazy.  The messages from the book resonated with me at that age.  I loved how creative Ender was.  He was appreciated for his mind and not his physical appearance.  Later when I served in the Marines the book made it on their official reading list.

I haven't had a problem in the past seperating people from their art.  I've liked bands and musicians for their music, even though I thought they were assholes as people.  Same for some authors and actors.  It's interesting how some creative people can be so abhorrant as individuals, but brilliant at their craft.       
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 05:52:31 AM »

I was just told that the english version of the book had the enemies named as Buggers...thats pretty crazy - comical, sad, and rather crazy! The man is a lunatic, and I have a hard time separating art from the artist, I have to admit.

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »

What were they called in your version of the book?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 11, 2013, 05:52:31 AM

I was just told that the english version of the book had the enemies named as Buggers...thats pretty crazy - comical, sad, and rather crazy! The man is a lunatic, and I have a hard time separating art from the artist, I have to admit.

What's crazy, comical, sad, and rather crazy about that? Is Buggers a derogative term where your from?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 11, 2013, 02:25:03 PM

Quote from: Razgon on July 11, 2013, 05:52:31 AM

What's crazy, comical, sad, and rather crazy about that? Is Buggers a derogative term where your from?

It's a derogative term where your (sic) from as well.  See #3.

It's more common in the UK, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »

I've never in my life heard a gay person called a bugger. I've heard the term Bugger off, but that was always by some British guy in a movie. Slang is weird.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 11, 2013, 02:18:59 PM

"Summere", which basically means buzzers, as in the noise insects make.

And I actually though it was common knowledge what a bugger means, but I guess thats a UK thing mostly, and not as widespread in the states.

A new one
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 11, 2013, 04:08:42 PM

And I actually though it was common knowledge what a bugger means, but I guess thats a UK thing mostly, and not as widespread in the states.

Nope, but when I read the book with the name bugger in it I just assumed it was because they looked like bugs.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 11, 2013, 04:31:08 PM

Nope, but when I read the book with the name bugger in it I just assumed it was because they looked like bugs.

Same.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on July 13, 2013, 12:36:32 AM

Quote from: Scraper on July 11, 2013, 04:31:08 PM

Same.
I've lived in a lot of different parts of the US, and I've never heard "bugger" used as an insult for anything.  Reading the book in high school was the first time I saw it, and I thought it was just a nickname for the bugs.  As an adult I've heard it used by Brits as an exclamation that I understand to be similar to "f**k", but not as bad?  When I hear Americans use it now they're using it as an expression for frustration. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »

I never read the word "bugger" in Ender's Game in the same way as Razgon, but even I know that the word is British slang for sodomy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »

new trailer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »

Hard to know how much the trailer is just skewing things, but I wonder...

total book spoilers
Spoiler for Hiden:
if they're going to spend much time with the zero-G arena games in battle school.  I know they show them a little bit in the trailers, but the trailers seem so very focused on spaceships flying around.  With all the focus on spaceships, I can't even tell if they're even planning to try and portray how the kids thought they were playing a simulator game.  I'd imagine anyone who saw the trailers but hadn't read the book would go in thinking that the kids were going to be commanding spaceships.

I also wonder if they're going to touch on the Giant's Drink game at all.  I haven't seen a hint of it in the trailers, and I can totally see how it might be a hard sell for mainstream audiences, but it was also such an integral part to the story and the meaning of the ending.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »

That trailer also makes it seem that (major book spoilers):

Spoiler for Hiden:
the audience may know that Ender's "test" at the end isn't really a test. Hopefully they don't go that route because that would lose the biggest impact of the book. Of course, they've already spoiled the end in the trailer, so who knows what they'll do.

That trailer also makes it clear that Harrison Ford is just going through the motions. That was one seriously emotionless voice over.
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 07, 2013, 03:04:18 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
the audience may know that Ender's "test" at the end isn't really a test. Hopefully they don't go that route because that would lose the biggest impact of the book. Of course, they've already spoiled the end in the trailer, so who knows what they'll do.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the impact is more on Ender than it is on the reader.  Maybe it was so long ago that I read the book for the first time but I don't remember being blown away surprised by the reveal that the "test" was real, it seams like something that could be at least suspected if not known.  Plus it might be nice to tie in some scenes from Ender's Shadow.  If Bean asks Graff if the test is real then Bean and the audience will know before hand, but then you can have the cool scene where Bean talks to the fleet thanking them for their sacrifice before they are destroyed, which for me was a much more powerful scene than the reveal in Ender's Game.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »

Quote from: xenocide on August 07, 2013, 04:06:22 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the impact is more on Ender than it is on the reader.  Maybe it was so long ago that I read the book for the first time but I don't remember being blown away surprised by the reveal that the "test" was real, it seams like something that could be at least suspected if not known.

Maybe it was just because I was younger when I first read it, but
Spoiler for Hiden:
it was a classroom-wide book assignment in the 6th grade, and the surprise was indeed a surprise to all of us.

I could see the filmmakers figuring that the surprise would never be surprising in our modern world where we actually do use remote controlled military craft.
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »

Your experience may very well be more typical than my memory.

Plus:

Spoiler for Hiden:
In a movie it would be easy to make the reveal a surprise.  You could talk test, test, test in all scenes and really make a big reveal moment.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »

I read the book in my twenties and it was indeed a surprise.  Keep it that way, director. 
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »

Quote from: xenocide on August 07, 2013, 05:55:59 PM

Your experience may very well be more typical than my memory.

Plus:

Spoiler for Hiden:
In a movie it would be easy to make the reveal a surprise.  You could talk test, test, test in all scenes and really make a big reveal moment.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I agree, it was a surprise. 

Also, I think the trailers make it seem very likely he knows before the end.  If he does, it won't be a very good movie as that was the whole point.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 07, 2013, 06:35:25 PM

I read the book in my twenties and it was indeed a surprise.  Keep it that way, director. 

I read it last year and
Spoiler for Hiden:
it was a surprise.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 07, 2013, 03:04:18 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

That trailer also makes it clear that Harrison Ford is just going through the motions. That was one seriously emotionless voice over.
Did you watch the original theatrical release of Blade Runner? He always does emotionless voiceovers.  icon_razz Legend has it he purposely read Blade Runner's narration monotonely because he thought adding the narration was a lousy idea. Perhaps he felt the same about doing that for Ender's Game.  icon_smile

I've read some of Card's short stories, including one of the more ghastly horror short stories ever (Eumenides in the Fourth Floor Lavatory) but not his novels. I think studios generally get scared of any plots too complicated, and usually that's why narration gets wedged in -- they just don't trust the audience to understand what's going on or figure it out for themselves. Independent films more often are willing to have a little faith in the audience.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:56:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »

Just got back from seeing it and really enjoyed it, but I really don't know how well it will do for people who haven't read the book.  There were a number of scenes that seemed like they were only cool to me because I knew a lot more about what was happening than the movie showed anyone.  The kid they got for Ender did a great job, though.  In fact, the kid actors in general all did rather well. 

I saw it with someone not familiar with the book, and (big spoilers below)
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was very pleased to see that he was indeed surprised by the big surprise.  He didn't figure out that the command school simulations were real until the very last battle.  His impressions of the movie overall weren't all that favorable, though.  It sounded like he enjoyed it, but wasn't particularly impressed.

He also thought the ending was a little too open ended.  He didn't get how and why Ender would just suddenly get a ship of his own to tour the galaxy, or how he could possibly have just walked out of the base, brought an egg back, and put it on his ship without anyone noticing.

Back to my own impressions...
Spoiler for Hiden:
My biggest disappointment was that they didn't spend more time fleshing out Ender's friends at battle school.  Other than Petra, nobody else feels like much of a character.  When he enters the simulator at command school, I don't think you get the sense that Ender is backed up by his closest and most trusted allies (other than Petra); they're just kinda... a collection of some of the kids that smiled at Ender a bit more than the other kids.

I also would have liked to have seen more of Ender's tactics show through in the battle room games.  They do touch on some of the best moments from the book, but they skipped so much of what made Ender's brilliance show through in the book.

Overall, I think the movie kind of suffered from the same thing Harry Potter 1 and 2 did.  They tried to include too much of the book, and ended up rushing through too much so they could hit as many scenes from the book as possible.  I think it would have been much better if they made the movie its own thing a bit more, make some giant but smart cuts from the story so they could have more time to let scenes and characters develop.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2013, 07:45:43 AM »

I really liked the simulation battle scenes and I thought they did a great job developing Ender's character. Overall it's a decent enough sci-fi flick and the two people with me who hadn't read the book (I have) liked the movie a lot. I did NOT like Harrison Ford and the actress who plays Captain Anderson, they were not interesting whatsoever and their acting and dialogue was as flat as Louisiana.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

Overall, I think the movie kind of suffered from the same thing Harry Potter 1 and 2 did.  They tried to include too much of the book, and ended up rushing through too much so they could hit as many scenes from the book as possible.  I think it would have been much better if they made the movie its own thing a bit more, make some giant but smart cuts from the story so they could have more time to let scenes and characters develop.

While I cant comment directly regarding this particular movie as I havent seen it yet, this is always a fine line to walk.  Change too little and people complain the movies are bloated, change too much and people complain that the plot has been ruined.  Thats why I try to enjoy book to movie adaptations for what they are and not for what I want them to be.  Ive seen movies that take the slimmest of material from the book they are based on that have been poor adaptations of the source material but still good movies, The Bourne Identity is a good example of this.  I felt that The Lord of the Rings trilogy managed to walk the line quite well, though others felt far too much was omitted ( like Tom Bombadil, etc. )   

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2013, 12:15:04 AM »

I thought it was pretty good, if a bit unevenly paced. I benefit from not remembering the book in detail so I wasn't annoyed by some of the plot edits.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2013, 03:29:49 AM »

They really fucked this one up. They went through the motions, but neglected to capture the essence of the story. I give it a C-
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:16 AM »

Wife and I saw it last weekend.  I read the book for the first time over the summer.  She had no knowledge of the book going into the movie.  I thought overall they did a good job.  There were a few things I thought could have been adapted better but it was a decent science fiction flick.     My wife liked it a little more than I did.   I'd give it a 7/10.   It was a good way to kill a couple of hours but not a classic.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2014, 03:58:56 AM »

Ended up renting it. The previous comment that they basically went through the motions of the book was spot on for my feelings as well. Only near the end did the movie seem to have any life to it. I was also disappointed they cut short the who battle school thing - particularly the actual battles Ender had to go through, and how he had to devise new strategies each game.

It's certainly watchable but basically a C grade movie.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »

I get why some things were short in duration, like Battle School.  Basically time constraints.  The movie pushed 2 hours and it didnt contain a lot of fluff.  It was better than I expected and it definitely helps to have read the book because theres a lot of stuff especially social background stuff that doesnt get in. It would have been nice if they had expanded the movie into a duology and spent more time on Battle School and character development but one movie was a hard sell due to backlash against Card so investing in two just wasnt going to happen.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on November 06, 2013, 03:29:49 AM

They went through the motions, but neglected to capture the essence of the story. I give it a C-

I watched this the other night and would pretty much agree with this.  I did not like it very much and thought it was just not a very good moviee. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »

My wife, mother, and I went to the theater and saw this.   We all enjoyed it, but none of us had read the book.  Somebody was nice enough to spoil the goddamned thing for me before hand (just like Harry Potter!  Awesome!) but I thought it was decent.   They certainly spent the dollars on the space sim sections!  I just wonder if they'll tackle any of the other books.  When I finish up Game of Thrones, Ender is next on my list.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: