http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:11:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] Elysium  (Read 786 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2013, 03:25:52 AM »

From the director of District 9.

DROOOOOL

Trailer in the link at Yahoo movies

http://www.slashfilm.com/elysium-trailer-matt-damon-is-hunted-to-the-edge-of-the-earth-and-beyond/
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 04:23:02 AM »

Yes, I'm definitely in!  I really enjoyed District 9 and this looks like more of the same sci-fi goodness.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »

I didn't find anything special about the trailer.

District 9 though was amazing.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 10, 2013, 05:42:48 PM

I didn't find anything special about the trailer.

District 9 though was amazing.

D9 was one of my favorite movies the year it came out.  I happened to attend an early screening of Elysium a few months ago (semi-rough cut but fairly done) and it was pretty horrible, I was really disappointed overall given the cast and pedigree.  Hopefully they can do some editing to improve it but from what I saw I couldn't figure out what they could do.  I'm a huge Jodie Foster fan and this was by far the worst acting I've ever seen from her, it was just terrible.  The audience seemed roughly divided, so maybe it was partly me.  But I did notice they pushed the release date back a few months, so....
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 06:55:23 AM »

new trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-RSDaRttpzk

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »

My brother and I saw this on Sunday. We liked but didn't love it, and I feel no need (as with Man of Steel) to see it again or bother with it on disc later.

Below is all strictly imho.  icon_smile

Good?
-Outstanding special effects work
-Exciting action set pieces
-Appealing performances from Matt Damon and Alice Braga (you'll remember her best from I Am Legend and Predators)

Bad?
-Thin story and characters that don't surprise you and don't evolve. I'm not talking rocket science. To me, even just Spock and Kirk's relationship evolving a bit in Star Trek Into Darkness was appealing. The characters in this are set up early as Stereotypes (noble do gooder, psycho bad guy, scheming administrator lady on Elysium, sweet nurse friend of do gooder etc.), no shades of grey, not much interesting back story.
-Sharlto Copley seems wasted as a one note psycho. Why's he such a psycho? Why's he want to kill everybody? What's his motivation? PTSD? Something in his past? I had no more idea at the end of the movie than the beginning. He's just painted as psycho bad guy and it seems a waste of Copley's peculiar charms as actor.

Yeah I know Heath Ledger's Joker turn was maybe "just a psycho," but this particular psycho agent isn't cunning or charming. He's just a brute, didn't find him a compelling villain.

-Jodie Foster's character similarly feels one-note. Maybe she just isn't cut out to play villains. It seems like a waste of her talent as well.
-While I find Alice Braga charming, she clearly has proven she can look sharp using firearms and kicking butt. Maybe this was her idea of a role-stretch but she never really gets a chance to do anything but act scared in this.
=====================
So all in all, even if I claim to "like" it, I found it disappointing after District 9. I don't think that means we should write off Neil Blokamp. But I do get the feeling that maybe he was a bit full of himself after District 9's meteoric success. And, I dunno, sometimes directors do better work with smaller name stars and smaller budgets, than when they hit the relative big time (this had a $115M budget I think, compared to $30M for District 9).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:07:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »

I agree with every one of your critiques, Blackjack. I enjoyed watching it, but it was simply a pleasant way to pass the time, when it should have been so much more, given the talent involved.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »

Agree, entertaining and visually cool at times, but nowhere near lasting impact to the viewer as District 9.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:06:29 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 16, 2013, 05:00:18 PM

-Sharlto Copley seems wasted as a one note psycho. Why's he such a psycho? Why's he want to kill everybody? What's his motivation? PTSD? Something in his past? I had no more idea at the end of the movie than the beginning. He's just painted as psycho bad guy and it seems a waste of Copley's peculiar charms as actor.

I think this is exactly what bothered me the most about the movie, even more so than wasting Jodie Foster.  There didn't really even seem to be much of a transition for him to go from regular psycho to super psycho.  It was just like - OK we need some more action - go psycho!  Wheeee!  What a waste.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:20:51 AM »

Saw it tonight. I don't think I've seen a more frustrating movie in recent years. On one hand, Blokamp's visual style and ability to create worlds is nearly unmatched in movies today. Future LA and Elysium look completely believable and visually incredible and WETA Workshop did some truly Oscar worthy FX work.

On the other hand, elements of the plot were really poorly thought out and the characters made no emotional impact. Jodie Foster was totally underused, with a character so boring and undeveloped that she might as well have not been in the movie. Plus, she had the weirdest speaking accent that I could not figure out. I still don't understand Kruger's motivation for turning at the end. Yeah, he' a bit mentally unhinged. That was established very early on, but I just didn't buy his actions near the end.

However, the biggest thing that drove me completely nuts was the constant use of shaky cam editing. That style has been the bane of action movies ever since directors started using it in the 90's. It's my opinion that directors who can't frame shots properly and edit competently resort to the shaky cam to disguise their deficiencies. Not only does the close in, constant movement of the camera give you a headache, it kills whatever sense of scale and movement is going on in the action.

In the end, I guess I liked it mainly for how visually interesting it was but it could have been so much more. Just another case of a pretty, but soulless movie.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »

Just rented it.  It did indeed kinda suck.  I agree with all the arguments above.  'Frustrating' is a great way to put it.  It had so much that kinda almost made it a really cool movie, but there were so many poorly executed aspects that added up to disappointment.

In addition to the points above, I'll add that Main Character was completely non-special.  Ok, we establish early on that he's destined for something special.  Ok, and he's really talented at stealing cars, nobody's better than him.  Got it!  Can't wait to see what he's made of!

(Spoilers, obviously)

...and then we see none of it.  He accidentally gets radiation, which makes him the guinea pig for Spider's mission, and from then on he's only special because of the data they stick in him.  He never seems particularly talented at anything, and even his exosuit never matters.  Why even have the exosuit?  All he does with it is occasionally lift something heavy.  And his noble sacrifice at the end?  The thing he was destined for?  I can't think of a way you could structure the movie to make it have less impact.  If you hit the viewers over the head with "he's gonna die if he transfers this data" over and over throughout the movie, nobody's going to be surprised with the big reveal that he's going to die when he transfers the data.

It just feels like if someone got Blomkamp a little drunk and pulled him aside at a party for a short heart-to-heart about what he was doing wrong, it would have been so easy to make this movie something really good.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »

I thought it seemed a bit...disjointed.

But it was still kinda neat.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:21 PM »

I just watched this last night and I quite liked it.  Maybe I had lowered expectations going in, but I thought it was fun even if it wasn't perfect.

Sure, there were some elements that didn't pay off like I expected them to, like the expert car stealing stuff, but I just took that more as backstory for this troubled main character who has tried to turn his life around.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 03:04:28 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 30, 2013, 11:08:21 PM

I just watched this last night and I quite liked it.  Maybe I had lowered expectations going in, but I thought it was fun even if it wasn't perfect.

Sure, there were some elements that didn't pay off like I expected them to, like the expert car stealing stuff, but I just took that more as backstory for this troubled main character who has tried to turn his life around.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: