http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 03:47:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Edge of Tomorrow (aka All You Need is Kill)  (Read 1116 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »

The adaptation of All You Need is Kill starring Tom Cruise.  Ground Hog Day with powered exoskeletons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQltOdUuBXc
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »

Looks good.  Reminds me of Oblivion in that we know there is a secret that will be revealed at some point in the movie but that isn't a ding against it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »

ok, so it has tom cruise, but this still looks cool.  hard not to laugh though.  they found a way to put him back on a motorcycle

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »

Looking good.

Now all they need to do is use these costumes for a proper starship troopers movie.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 05:23:24 AM »

It's looking ni-ce. I think 'Edge Of Tomorrow' is a generic title. Much rather they kept the 'All You Need Is Kill', but I'll see this.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »

For some reason I got a little Warhammer 40k Space Marine vibe outta this. C'mon, make it happen Hollywood!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »

I thought it actually looked good!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on December 12, 2013, 09:15:21 AM

For some reason I got a little Warhammer 40k Space Marine vibe outta this. C'mon, make it happen Hollywood!!

Man that would be so cool! (if done right)
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 12, 2013, 02:48:42 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on December 12, 2013, 09:15:21 AM

Man that would be so cool! (if done right)

There's no way they could stay faithful to the source material that would have mass market appeal.  Entirely to Dystopian.  Would be cool, but like Battletech it's too niche
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:36:11 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »

So i finished the book, it's a pretty good little read.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »

Ahh, didn't spot this thread for some reason.  My bad.  smile

Still sounds like Groundhog Day to me.  Maybe the trailer isn't selling me on it for some reason?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 02:02:47 AM »

Edge of Tomorrow sounds like a soap opera, but All You Need Is Kill sounds like a nonsensically-named Japanese videogame smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »

The proper translation would probably have ended up something like "All You Need to do is Kill," or something along those lines.

It's the same with shows like Attack on Titan, which would probably better translate to Attack of the Titan

Not sure about these word for word translations of Japanese titles, but I think it helps avoid trademark conflicts to keep the weird literal translations, otherwise you end up with some pretty common names for stories.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »

It seems like "All You Need is Kill" is intentionally derivative of the Beatles "All You Need is Love" and not necessarily bad translation.  Of course it could just be coincidence but thats a pretty weird coincidence.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 05:12:50 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 30, 2013, 01:45:03 PM

It seems like "All You Need is Kill" is intentionally derivative of the Beatles "All You Need is Love" and not necessarily bad translation.

Yeah, that's what I'm reading into it too. It's like the word "kill" is meant to reflect some kind of subliminal message.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »

It seems like "All You Need is Kill" is intentionally derivative of the Beatles "All You Need is Love" and not necessarily bad translation.  Of course it could just be coincidence but thats a pretty weird coincidence.

I don't think "All You Need is Kill" even makes sense as a sentence, though, unlike "All You Need is Love".  I think it would have been better to be "All You Need is DIE SUCKER!". 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 06:19:03 PM »

Title doesn't make any more sense in context of the book either, though I do kind of like it as is, it's distinctive.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 11:17:09 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 31, 2013, 06:16:53 PM

I don't think "All You Need is Kill" even makes sense as a sentence, though, unlike "All You Need is Love". 

That's why I mentioned the subliminal thing. It's like a clumsy (which in this case would be intentional) attempt to control the message.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 04:58:24 AM »

Groundhog Day Part II. It looks pretty interesting.

Tom Cruise went through a phase in his career when he appeared to be bat-shit crazy.  I like his new phase, the "I am unafraid to make sci-fi movies".  If he's gonna be crazy he might as well do it in my genre.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »

Well, I think his Scientology handlers just reined him in a bit. Still a great actor, and he deserves the success he has, but if I see one more Hollywood Scientology shill movie I'm going to scream.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »

He's managed to keep his craziness out of his movies for the most part (the exception being Battlefield Earth, I guess), and he's a pretty damn good actor who makes some really interesting role choices.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 02, 2014, 01:10:08 PM

He's managed to keep his craziness out of his movies for the most part (the exception being Battlefield Earth, I guess), and he's a pretty damn good actor who makes some really interesting role choices.

Tom Cruise wasn't in Battlefield Earth.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 02, 2014, 02:37:32 PM

Wrong Scientologist.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 02, 2014, 02:48:22 PM

Quote from: Teggy on January 02, 2014, 02:37:32 PM

Wrong Scientologist.  icon_wink

Oops, I guess you're right. Those scientologists all look the same to me. slywink
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »

was the last one related to scientology?  I can't tell.  other than the 'destroyed earth motif', does it have anything in common with that crap-fest called battlefield earth?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on January 02, 2014, 04:58:24 AM

Groundhog Day Part II. It looks pretty interesting.

To be fair the concept predates Groundhog Day, though that is the most popular notion. 12:01PM for instance was published in 73 and had a short film made in 1990 starring Kurtwood Smith (Red Forman/Boddicker).  You can find it on youtube.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »

I like Emily Blunt, but this immediately struck me more as a ripoff of Source Code (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/), rather than Groundhog Day. Unless one found Source Code a ripoff of Groundhog Day.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 08:08:40 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 02, 2014, 03:42:41 PM

was the last one related to scientology?  I can't tell.  other than the 'destroyed earth motif', does it have anything in common with that crap-fest called battlefield earth?

Nope, not from what I can tell. I haven't recognized any clear scientologic traces in any of Tom Cruise's movies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 02, 2014, 08:08:40 PM

Quote from: Caine on January 02, 2014, 03:42:41 PM

was the last one related to scientology?  I can't tell.  other than the 'destroyed earth motif', does it have anything in common with that crap-fest called battlefield earth?

Nope, not from what I can tell. I haven't recognized any clear scientologic traces in any of Tom Cruise's movies.
not unlike Will Smith from what I've read. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »

Also, Oblivion was a really good movie. One of my more pleasant movie surprises from last year.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 03:55:03 AM »

No one watched this over the weekend?  Were you all too busy watching The Fault in Our Stars and crying like little girls?   crybaby crybaby crybaby  icon_twisted icon_twisted icon_twisted

I really enjoyed this movie in spite of the ending being a little off and me not being much of a Tom Cruise fan.  It's nice to have a new/different sci-fi story that isn't a remake or reboot or sequel.  Reviews seem to generally be pretty favorable (except for the ending).  Curious to hear what you all think.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 04:31:21 AM »

The wife and I saw this Sunday. In much the same boat, not a big TC fan but enjoyed Oblivion and had a hell of a lot of fun with this one... right up until the end, which I couldn't really explain to the wife when she asked me wtf just happened. It almost seemed like we saw the real / original ending just before the last five minutes and it didn't play well with preview audiences or something, so they tweaked it to add the happy. I took a quick peek at the graphic novel adaption of the book and it was completely different so didn't really help at all. I've had the novel on my Kindle for awhile but wanted to see the movie first, I'll bet it doesn't really answer any questions either.

I wonder what the official explanation of the ending is?  icon_neutral

-craig

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 02, 2014, 09:57:03 PM

Also, Oblivion was a really good movie. One of my more pleasant movie surprises from last year.

Oblivion was a good movie provided you didn't see the trailer.  I looked it up *after* seeing the movie and was astounded at how much of the plot it gave away.

-Autistic Angel
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 10, 2014, 04:31:21 AM

I took a quick peek at the graphic novel adaption of the book and it was completely different so didn't really help at all. I've had the novel on my Kindle for awhile but wanted to see the movie first, I'll bet it doesn't really answer any questions either.

I wonder what the official explanation of the ending is?  icon_neutral

Yeah the novella won't help as it and the movie are pretty different - basically the equivalent of the Starship Troopers novel vs the movie. So I just chalked up to the studio wanting a happy ending. I guess when they deal with time travel they can do whatever they want.

That said I really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun with some good characters and it kept the story moving even though it was repeating. Also even with all the Tom Cruise hate you have to give it up for him in this. His character changes so much from the start of the film to the end. I don't think someone like a Chris Hemsworth or Chris Pine wouldn't be able to pull that off.  And even though the connection between the Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt characters was one sided they still had chemistry when they were together. This so far has been my favorite summer movie.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »

for the ending..

Spoiler for Hiden:
my guess is that the blood from the omega allowed him to go back further in time then the blood from the Alpha. His problem now is that if he dies, he starts all over again.. Image if he forgets, then dies at like 90..

My wife and I saw it and liked it.
I had read the novel first, so some things threw me off a little, but I enjoyed it. I prefer the graphic novels ending though.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 02:33:46 AM »

More spoilerific thoughts on the ending...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I get the 'go back further' part from the Omega but I was fully expecting him to wake up and then have to convince them to bomb the crap out of the museum and kill it once and for all. However, he goes back and it's still dead? Is that what the broadcast said and if so, not really sure how to reconcile that.

-craig

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 06:43:04 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's just a movie thing to make the ending happy.

You can justify it however you want really. The explanation I can think of is that the stored time energy in the Omega seeped into him, and also still exploded. The thing's mind must be partly out of time, thus killing it in any time kills it, despite it resetting time again. I doubt he really has any control over it from now on. That said, it's the movie industry, so it leaves something for a sequel. Heh, Edge of Yestday anyone? Tongue

Man, I can't imagine the workout those actors had to do to get those exoskeletons moving. Even if made from aluminum, those had to be heavy to walk around in.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »

Saw it the other day, I liked it.  Ending worked for me, tho reading about it beforehand might have helped that along.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2014, 06:06:07 PM »

Saw Edge of Tomorrow and the new XMEN movie back to back on Father's Day. Enjoyed Edge slightly better, thought it was fantastic.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:04 AM »

I saw this last weekend with my son and really enjoyed it. I'd classify myself as a Cruise fan and I thought this was one of his best films of the past 5 years. Much to my surprise my son didn't enjoy it nearly as much; he didn't think the subtle humor meshed well with the rest of the movie. Whereas I thought it added some nice contrast. We had just watched Oblivion the night before, which my son thought was excellent and a better Cruise film, so that may have been some of it. I'd never read any of the graphic novels or novella, so I went in blind and found the story to be good, solid SciFi.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:54:03 AM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: