http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:50:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Drive  (Read 2196 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »

Nicolas Winding Refn (maker of the absolutely amazing Tom Hardy tour de force, Bronson; as well as the great Pusher series) has a new film coming out called Drive.

The red band trailer was just released and it looks great.  I'm really looking forward to this one. 

...and Albert Brooks as the big villain?  Genius...just genius.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »

damn, for a moment I was hoping this was going to feature Nathan Fillion reprising his role in the series.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:36:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 22, 2011, 02:16:30 PM

damn, for a moment I was hoping this was going to feature Nathan Fillion reprising his role in the series.

you and I are ALWAYS hoping any new film stars Nathan Fillion....we're odd like that.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 04:57:34 AM »

I expected this to be some stupid Vin Deisel/The Rock/Jason Statham piece of crap movie, but it actually looks pretty good. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 23, 2011, 04:57:34 AM

I expected this to be some stupid Vin Deisel/The Rock/Jason Statham piece of crap movie, but it actually looks pretty good.  

Refn is an amazing director.  If you haven't seen the Pusher series, do so.  They're fantastic.  I watched them on netflix streaming so they may still be available there.  Bronson was also on streaming last I looked and that's an absolute must see too.   Tom Hardy deserved an oscar nom for that role at least.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:51:43 PM by hepcat » Logged

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:55:43 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 23, 2011, 12:45:23 PM

Bronson was also on streaming last I looked and that's an absolute must see too.   Tom Hardy deserved an oscar nom for that role at least.
Thanks for the recommendation. Great movie!  thumbsup

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »

I got the feeling, after reading about the real Bronson, that Refn and Harding toned him down a bit for the movie.   icon_lol

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »

I would watch that.  I'm not much of Ryan Gosseling fan, more indifferent than anything, but he looks like he embodies the role pretty well.  As far as Albert Brooks goes, I'm not really sold on him playing a villain. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 28, 2011, 08:10:23 PM

I would watch that.  I'm not much of Ryan Gosseling fan, more indifferent than anything, but he looks like he embodies the role pretty well.  As far as Albert Brooks goes, I'm not really sold on him playing a villain.  

In that clip, Brooks comes across as a great villain.  Granted, it's a momentary glimpse, but I thought it showed his talent in even that small a glimpse.  Beyond that, I've always thought that the comic greats can play dark far better than their serious counterparts when tasked with the job.

Besides all that, Brooks is just a genius at ANYTHING he does.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:15:37 PM by hepcat » Logged

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »

Why is that trailer a red band? Did I miss something? Seemed pretty tame to me. Movie looks good though.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 28, 2011, 08:13:48 PM

Besides all that, Brooks is just a genius at ANYTHING he does.

Maybe that's my biggest issue.  I've never found him to be all that compelling.  Perhaps because his body of work is outside of my interest zone, Finding Nemo being the exception.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on July 28, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Why is that trailer a red band? Did I miss something? Seemed pretty tame to me. Movie looks good though.

No enough scenes of American cars?   Tongue

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »

Bump

Opens tomorrow and it's currently sitting at 95 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

I'm definitely checking it out this weekend.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »

I finally got to see Blue Valentine, albeit on a airliner seatback entertainment screen, on my trip to Korea in June. He's marvelous in it (a wide range of emotions) but the film is do depressing, it makes Platoon seem like a sitcom.  icon_smile I don't get the impression he has any interest in trying to become a star per se, though this film sounds like it has as good a chance as any of making that happen.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »

I always get Ryan Gosling confused with Ben Foster.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »

Ben Foster is a chameleon.  That guy never looks the same way twice.  Watch X-Men: United (if you can), then Six Feet Under, then 3:10 to Yuma.  I swear it's a different guy using the same name all three times. 

Great actor though.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 15, 2011, 07:17:35 PM

Ben Foster is a chameleon.  That guy never looks the same way twice.  Watch X-Men: United (if you can), then Six Feet Under, then 3:10 to Yuma.  I swear it's a different guy using the same name all three times. 

Great actor though.

And then check out Hostage and Punisher.  They only add to how much of a chameleon he is.  I was shocked at the difference between Punisher and X-Men 3: Last Stand. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »

Ebert whetted my appetite by noting that the film uses very little CGI (real car stunts, folks) and that it reminds him of Bullit. 

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 15, 2011, 08:26:33 PM

Ebert whetted my appetite by noting that the film uses very little CGI (real car stunts, folks) and that it reminds him of Bullit. 

I don't think a car movie could receive any better a comparison.  For me Bullitt is the quintessential car chase film.  To have Drive mentioned at all with a film like Bullitt makes me want to see it ASAP.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »

Ah shoot, it plummeted on Rotten Tomatoes...

...to 94 percent. 

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »

I might catch a morning show this weekend. Wash. Post here loved it quite a bit, Roger Ebert too.

I wanted to finally catch "Fright Night" but despite generally positive reviews, it evaporated from theaters at a record pace. If I were the studio, I'd re-release it around Halloween with an ad-campaign that more played up the good reviews.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »

Wow. Never even heard of this movie until I saw a trailer last night. Might have to check it out this weekend. It looks nice and gritty.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 16, 2011, 02:43:28 PM

I might catch a morning show this weekend. Wash. Post here loved it quite a bit, Roger Ebert too.

I wanted to finally catch "Fright Night" but despite generally positive reviews, it evaporated from theaters at a record pace. If I were the studio, I'd re-release it around Halloween with an ad-campaign that more played up the good reviews.

I really enjoyed Fright Night.  I was surprised how much so.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »

posted this over at OO:

Just got back from Drive. It is a fantastic movie. Warning: if you're expecting an action film, this is not it. It has action, yes. But the action is sporadic and is there to enhance the characters' stories, not the other way around. It's a very slow film otherwise.

That being said, it's shot brilliantly. The acting is top notch (Albert Brooks steals every scene he appears in). The story is simple yet raw and exciting.

One thing this film has in spades is style. Every shot appears to be well thought out. For example: there's a scene following an extreme act of violence in which we see the head of one of the characters sticking into the scene from behind a door frame. Instead of cutting to the next scene, we get an extended shot of the character fading back into the shadows and eventually disappearing. It just oozes cool.

Gosling is great for this movie too. He uses pauses like most actors use monologues. I think he's got about 2 dozen lines of dialogue throughout the entire film.

And the music? I thought I was at a Throwing Muses concert. It's very subdued techno '80's but it works.

One critic described it as the best Michael Mann movie you've never seen and I'd have to agree with that.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 17, 2011, 08:49:13 PM

Just got back from Drive. It is a fantastic movie. Warning: if you're expecting an action film, this is not it. It has action, yes. But the action is sporadic and is there to enhance the characters' stories, not the other way around. It's a very slow film otherwise.

Yet further reason for it to be compared with Bullitt.  That was a "slow" film as well, but it certainly had its car chase payoff.

One critic described it as the best Michael Mann movie you've never seen and I'd have to agree with that.

Did he do this film, or is the comment purely for description?  If so, I had no idea.  I love Michael Mann and if this is in fact a Michael Mann film (I have yet to see his name mentioned), I'm sooooooooo in.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 12:30:27 AM »

No, it's a Nicolas Winding Refn film (a director who's rapidly breaking into my top 10).  But if you're a Michael Mann fan, then you'll love this film I'm guessing.  It's like Refn was paying tribute to Mann and Friedkin circa 1980's.   You could've played this film in a theater during that period and other than the very graphic (but thankfully short) violence that erupts here and there, it could pass as one of their products.

Another thing to note:  the car chases are intelligent (if that makes any sense).  He's driving to blend in and only evades when he's cornered.  For some reason, it makes those scenes much more tense.  It's like he's playing Thief (the pc game) in a car at times.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:35:49 AM by hepcat » Logged

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »

Me and my friend saw this yesterday and both of us thought it was a horrible movie. Soundtrack was bad, never cared for any of the characters, director way overuses the "pause for dramatic effect" effect.  thumbsdown
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »

Quote from: Toe on September 18, 2011, 07:18:00 PM

Me and my friend saw this yesterday and both of us thought it was a horrible movie. Soundtrack was bad, never cared for any of the characters, director way overuses the "pause for dramatic effect" effect.  thumbsdown

since you cross posted this on OO, I'll also cross post my defense of the film  Tongue:

I did mention that it was a slower film than the trailers would lead you to believe.   :wink:  

The slow and deliberate pace of the film will annoy folks who've grown up on action films from the last couple of decades.  This is not a movie for those who love frenetic filmmaking that forsakes character study for pure action.   It's very much a throwback to the crime films of the late '70's and the '80's.  The music reflects this as well (I thought I was watching a remake of To Live and Die in LA a few times).

The frequent pauses were a deliberate choice for the director.  The Driver says more with his eyes and his frowns/smiles than 10 lines of dialogue.  Gosling, who I want to dislike for some reason, actually won me over with this movie.  I thought he was fantastic.

I will repeat:  this is NOT an action film.  If you go in expecting another Gone in 60 Seconds or The Fast and The Furious, you WILL be disappointed.  If, however, you enjoy the films of Michael Mann and William Friedkin, movies like The French Connection and Bullit, you will probably enjoy this one.

Honestly, I also expected an action film with tons of violence and numerous car chases.  After I realized what I was getting in its place, I was very pleasantly surprised.   But I can understand that it might not be everyone's cup o' tea.  It's more of an arthouse film than audiences are being led to believe from trailers.

edit:  the friend I saw this with yesterday is the same age as I and he was visibly annoyed with the movie towards the end.  Afterwards, he told me thought it was way too slow a film (he's an action junkie and his attention is easily lost if he's not given something big and flashy every few minutes).  However, after a couple of hours he just blurted out, "but damn it, i can't stop thinking about that movie.".   biggrin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:07:57 AM by hepcat » Logged

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 18, 2011, 11:59:45 PM

Quote from: Toe on September 18, 2011, 07:18:00 PM

Me and my friend saw this yesterday and both of us thought it was a horrible movie. Soundtrack was bad, never cared for any of the characters, director way overuses the "pause for dramatic effect" effect.  thumbsdown

since you cross posted this on OO, I'll also cross post my defense of the film  Tongue:

I did mention that it was a slower film than the trailers would lead you to believe.   :wink:  

The slow and deliberate pace of the film will annoy folks who've grown up on action films from the last couple of decades.  This is not a movie for those who love frenetic filmmaking that forsakes character study for pure action.   It's very much a throwback to the crime films of the late '70's and the '80's.  The music reflects this as well (I thought I was watching a remake of To Live and Die in LA a few times).

The frequent pauses were a deliberate choice for the director.  The Driver says more with his eyes and his frowns/smiles than 10 lines of dialogue.  Gosling, who I want to dislike for some reason, actually won me over with this movie.  I thought he was fantastic.

I will repeat:  this is NOT an action film.  If you go in expecting another Gone in 60 Seconds or The Fast and The Furious, you WILL be disappointed.  If, however, you enjoy the films of Michael Mann and William Friedkin, movies like The French Connection and Bullit, you will probably enjoy this one.

Honestly, I also expected an action film with tons of violence and numerous car chases.  After I realized what I was getting in its place, I was very pleasantly surprised.   But I can understand that it might not be everyone's cup o' tea.  It's more of an arthouse film than audiences are being led to believe from trailers.

edit:  the friend I saw this with yesterday is the same age as I and he was visibly annoyed with the movie towards the end.  Afterwards, he told me thought it was way too slow a film (he's an action junkie and his attention is easily lost if he's not given something big and flashy every few minutes).  However, after a couple of hours he just blurted out, "but damn it, i can't stop thinking about that movie.".   biggrin

What you speak of is, for me, the difference between art and entertainment. I've skipped most of the 'entertainment' crap movies this year but this thread has just inspired me to make that trip this week.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »

I'm far from a movie snob, though.  I really do enjoy films that are pure entertainment from time to time.  Big and flashy can be fun...if it's not so childish or ineptly made that it becomes insulting.  I also have room for really well crafted films that work on a different level.  I can sit through 300 and then thoroughly enjoy There Will Be Blood on the same day.  

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:31:28 AM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »

looks like the movie had the unfortunate luck of opening against Lion King 3D

on the actual movie, since Drive is a slower film than advertised, I'll be waiting for blu ray on it.  lately I like watching thinkers on the small screen and leave the big screen for baysplosions.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 12:15:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 19, 2011, 02:22:18 PM

looks like the movie had the unfortunate luck of opening against Lion King 3D

on the actual movie, since Drive is a slower film than advertised, I'll be waiting for blu ray on it.  lately I like watching thinkers on the small screen and leave the big screen for baysplosions.

I would recommend that. And, unfortunately, its not a "thinker" in any sense of the word. The derivative plot is predictable and unimaginative.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »

Quote from: Toe on September 20, 2011, 12:15:44 AM

looks like the movie had the unfortunate luck of opening against Lion King 3D.  

on the actual movie, since Drive is a slower film than advertised, I'll be waiting for blu ray on it.  lately I like watching thinkers on the small screen and leave the big screen for baysplosions.

I would recommend that. And, unfortunately, its not a "thinker" in any sense of the word. The derivative plot is predictable and unimaginative.

plot isn't the only thing that engenders thought in a film.  as i noted, this is more a character study.  but the story itself, while simple (as I said earlier as well) is not as transparent as you want others to believe you thought it to be.  

you don't like it, that's fine.  but drive winning the best director award at cannes and getting almost universal praise from critics the world over probably means a little more to folks than someone on the internet shouting, "it was dumb because it was stupid!".   icon_wink
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:45:30 AM by hepcat » Logged

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 02:26:32 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 20, 2011, 01:30:52 AM

Quote from: Toe on September 20, 2011, 12:15:44 AM

looks like the movie had the unfortunate luck of opening against Lion King 3D.  

on the actual movie, since Drive is a slower film than advertised, I'll be waiting for blu ray on it.  lately I like watching thinkers on the small screen and leave the big screen for baysplosions.

plot isn't the only thing that engenders thought in a film.  as i noted, this is more a character study.  but the story itself, while simple (as I said earlier as well) is not as transparent as you want others to believe you thought it to be.  

you don't like it, that's fine.  but drive winning the best director award at cannes and getting almost universal praise from critics the world over probably means a little more to folks than someone on the internet shouting, "it was dumb because it was stupid!".   icon_wink

I think i outlined why I (and my friend) thought it was not a good movie a little more definitely than "it was dumb because it was stupid" but thanks for the put-down, hope it makes you feel better.  finger
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 02:52:59 AM »

I probably took it a little too personally when something I enjoyed and then praised was called stupid.  This is the internet, I should expect that sort of thing to happen all the time.  I'm going to bow out of arguing over whether or not it was good at this point.  I enjoyed Drive and I found it interesting and very entertaining.  That's all that should matter to me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:35:57 AM by hepcat » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 03:06:51 AM »

I don't know what movie Toe saw, or what he thinks he saw... but I thought it was great - just got back.  Great cast giving great performances, great look, action that was incredibly sudden and brutal... a simple movie, at heart, but it did have a lot of heart, which was a large part of the point, I felt.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

I saw it last night and enjoyed it.  I talked to a buddy of mine about it last night, and, knowing some of his tastes and movie history, here's how I described it:

It's an indie movie with a big distributor push.  The first indication of this was when I didn't recognize any of the film companies that made it.  It's a mix up of Ghost Dog, The Transporter, and Payback.

Oh, and one more thing to think about if you go see it that I didn't mention to him:  Just remember that Albert Brooks was the voice of Marlin in Finding Nemo.  icon_twisted

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »

Brooks stole every scene he was in.  What a great character.  I think

Spoiler for Hiden:
he genuinely liked Shannon and the scene in which he slits his wrists open and tells him "It's done...let it go" was almost lovingly done.  That he also killed him with what was obviously a prized razor from his collection was also telling.  What a haunting scene.  

And no one can deliver the line "Shut up, monkey!" like Brooks can.   icon_lol
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:39:03 PM by hepcat » Logged

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 03:43:02 AM »

wow. just wow. Very powerful movie. Love it from start to finish. Amazing soundtrack and story.
Great performances - highly recommended.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 05:09:20 AM »

I liked the change of pace from the typical action movie. Even the car chase scenes had a sense of subdued control. Not the usual bullshit where 15 cars experience baysplosions while millions of dollars of property is destroyed.

Spoiler for Hiden:
A perfect example of the pacing is in the motel after he kills those two guys. He just stands there in the bathroom and finally leans slowly back into the shadows.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: