http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:06:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] Doctor Strange  (Read 2118 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »

Marvel Phase 3 has already indicated that Ant-Man is coming.

AICN now reports that Doctor Strange is heading our way as well.

He's one of my favorite characters, but his look is hard to translate to the screen, so I'll be interested in how they do that.

AICN is suggesting Del Toro as a director.  I think he'd be a great choice.  Any other suggestions?  Apart from Alex Trebek, who would play him?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 30, 2013, 01:34:49 PM

Marvel Phase 3 has already indicated that Ant-Man is coming.

AICN now reports that Doctor Strange is heading our way as well.

He's one of my favorite characters, but his look is hard to translate to the screen, so I'll be interested in how they do that.

AICN is suggesting Del Toro as a director.  I think he'd be a great choice.  Any other suggestions?  Apart from Alex Trebek, who would play him?

I saw this reported on SyFy last week and my very first thought was get Del Toro for this.  I cant think of any other director better suited for a Dr. Strange movie.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »

Ah hells yeah.  Del Toro doing a Doctor Strange movie?  The only thing better would be letting Del Toro write the thing too. 

And I want a classic Doctor Strange, not one updated for "today's sensibilities".  The story of Stephen Strange as a conceited and monumentally self centered surgeon who loses that world due to an accident and then finds salvation through the Ancient One is the only Doctor Strange I care to see.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:44:48 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 30, 2013, 03:42:38 PM

Ah hells yeah.  Del Toro doing a Doctor Strange movie?  The only thing better would be letting Del Toro write the thing too. 

And I want a classic Doctor Strange, not one updated for "today's sensibilities".  The story of Stephen Strange as a conceited and monumentally self centered surgeon who loses that world due to an accident and then finds salvation through the Ancient One is the only Doctor Strange I care to see.

I think that would fit today's sensibilities, too (though maybe they'd make him a banker).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:53:27 PM »

I wonder which look they'll go with for him:

as for who will play him, well who can rock a goatee but also has a mature look?  RDJ is already Tony Stark, so he's out.  Guy Pearce?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »

Ugh. Screw the goatee. Trucker 'stache all the way

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »

MUCH better image

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 02:37:23 AM »

Good lord, how can you have doctor strange without the cloak???

Yeah, I'm kind of a dork for the character. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:38:58 AM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:21:04 AM »

The cloak is going to be really hard to pull off in real life and still take the character seriously, IMO (though it won't be dripping with 70s cheese like the above shot).

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:33:17 AM »

I bet it's going to be a black trenchoat

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »

Ugh, Del Toro? So we're going to interrupt the action and tension building for giant drunked song number?

I think Del Toro is a great director, but some of his pacing and editing choices are just odd when applied to adventure/action movies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »

Giant drunked song number?   icon_confused

Whatever that means, I'm guessing it's negative...and I completely disagree.  Del Toro knows how to craft an action scene better than 90 percent of the directors currently working.  And his sense of pacing and eye for editing ranks up there with the greats.

He even made Blade II worth watching.   icon_wink

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 31, 2013, 04:21:04 AM

The cloak is going to be really hard to pull off in real life and still take the character seriously, IMO (though it won't be dripping with 70s cheese like the above shot).

I remember watching the tv version of strange...along with the tv version of Captain America (plastic see through shield and red, white and blue motorcycle and all). 

I think the cloak could work.  It wasn't that long ago we didn't think superhero costumes would translate to live action, but they have (in most cases).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:04:53 PM by hepcat » Logged

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 31, 2013, 12:34:18 PM

Ugh, Del Toro? So we're going to interrupt the action and tension building for giant drunked song number?

I think Del Toro is a great director, but some of his pacing and editing choices are just odd when applied to adventure/action movies.

When has Guillermo Del Toro ever stopped one of his films for a 'giant drunked song number'? I think you're getting your filmmakers confused.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 31, 2013, 02:57:41 PM

He even made Blade II worth watching.   icon_wink

'Blade II' is the best out of the three Blade movies. Period.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 03:06:12 PM »

Yes, it's going to be hard to pull off the cloak... but it's Dr. Strange. They need to keep the cloak, imo.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 31, 2013, 03:02:05 PM

He even made Blade II worth watching.   icon_wink

'Blade II' is the best out of the three Blade movies. Period.

Much like the fabled Highlander 2, I refuse to believe there's a Blade III

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »

Giant drunked song number?   icon_confused

Whatever that means, I'm guessing it's negative...and I completely disagree.  Del Toro knows how to craft an action scene better than 90 percent of the directors currently working.  And his sense of pacing and eye for editing ranks up there with the greats.

He even made Blade II worth watching.   icon_wink

I remember watching the tv version of strange...along with the tv version of Captain America (plastic see through shield and red, white and blue motorcycle and all).  

I think the cloak could work.  It wasn't that long ago we didn't think superhero costumes would translate to live action, but they have (in most cases).

I would argue that in most cases (almost all cases, really) superhero costumes have not looked like their comic book counterpart since the Christopher Reeve Superman (I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting in there- Hulk, I guess).  Some of them do better jobs evoking the feeling of the costume than others, but they all get changed or updated to work on screen, somehow.  The biggest change seems to be with rubber versus spandex (easier to sculpt muscles into).

I think we may see a nod to the cloak at some point (perhaps in an initiation ceremony or something), but otherwise it'll be something a little more down to earth.  I just hope it's not turtlenecks and chains like that 70s TV show.

Now, Turtle, what the hell are you talking about?!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:31:33 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 04:01:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 31, 2013, 03:30:01 PM

I would argue that in most cases (almost all cases, really) superhero costumes have not looked like their comic book counterpart since the Christopher Reeve Superman (I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting in there- Hulk, I guess).  Some of them do better jobs evoking the feeling of the costume than others, but they all get changed or updated to work on screen, somehow.  The biggest change seems to be with rubber versus spandex (easier to sculpt muscles into).

They look VERY similar to their comic book counterparts in many cases though.  I think Burton's Batman was the turning point where they went from being silly to even consider to feasible.  And I think that's primarily due to the move to rubber.  I don't care what material they use as long as they keep the general appearance.  Flash, Batman, Spiderman...they all look pretty much the same as they do in the comics.  

Spawn did a CGI cloak for the movie and I thought that worked pretty well.  I wouldn't mind that approach as more than once in the comics, they've shown that Strange's cloak is almost alive.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 31, 2013, 04:01:53 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 31, 2013, 03:30:01 PM

They look VERY similar to their comic book counterparts in many cases though.  I think Burton's Batman was the turning point where they went from being silly to even consider to feasible.  And I think that's primarily due to the move to rubber.  I don't care what material they use as long as they keep the general appearance.  Flash, Batman, Spiderman...they all look pretty much the same as they do in the comics.  

Spawn did a CGI cloak for the movie and I thought that worked pretty well.  I wouldn't mind that approach as more than once in the comics, they've shown that Strange's cloak is almost alive.

I've never thought Batman has looked anything like he does in the comics.  To me, that's been the most jarring change.  The first Spidey was close and probably the best recent costume (Iron Man is decent, too) in terms of similarity, but with extra texture added and gold goggles.   The second Spidey is lame.  Flash was way too puffy, IMO.

The added texture in the first Spidey costume is the kind of change that is worth it.  Sure, it's not the spandex suit of yore, but if you don't want an Electric Company look, it's a good change.

As for the CGI cloak, that could work, I suppose, but he's still going to have to stand around in it, talking.  He's not a lurker.  Plus, there's an aspect to Strange that you don't get with other cloaked heroes.  To me, he's always seemed more man than super-hero.  I know he has dimension-shattering powers and all, but he still comes off as a person, even in the cloak.

Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite Marvel characters, and I love the cloak.  I hope they find a way to pull it off effectively, too.  I just wouldn't put all my hopes in that.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »

Hmmm...the first Batman suit was great in my opinion.  Granted, when Nolan got the franchise, he gradually morphed the suit into armor, but I thought it was still close enough to the original suit that it worked.

And I still maintain the Flash and Spiderman outfits were excellent.  As well as the costume in Superman Returns.  I think the only time it doesn't work is when the color schemes are just too outlandish.  I'm guessing that's why Wolverine hasn't been seen in that bright yellow outfit yet, or Thor wasn't shown in that odd mishmash of colors that has nothing to do with mythology whatsoever.

edit:  well, that's new.  The mention of Batman resulted in a Viglink url being added to it.  I haven't seen that before.  Is that server side?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:06:55 PM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 07:32:07 PM »

since they seem to be trying to tie in the comics and the movie 'verse looks I'm thinking they may go with his most recent look from Marvel NOW!, whatever that might be.  There is only a partial glimpse of it at the end of New Avengers #1, and he still has the cape but the top part of his shirt is black with a red sigil.

of course they could go for a more stylish and probably easier to translate to the screen look:

the classic look just doesn't look good in real life colorwise:

psst buddy, Flavor Flav wants his bling back.....

(I know it's not yellow gloves in the comics but the yellow polka dotted skin always looked kinda dumb to me).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:54:45 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »

Ok, Ceekay, an award-winning costume designer is gonna make him look good, I betcha!  icon_razz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »

a bit of an update:

Dr. Strange is something that I talk about often and its sort of next up for us to dig into and explore. Our executive producer of Iron Man 3, having done Captain America: The First Avenger and as that was finishing he started working on the bones that would become Iron Man 3, and now that hes finished with Iron Man 3, hes working on the bones that would become Doctor Strange. Now that Iron Man 3 is finished, some of our quote-unquote spare time is going to be devoted to trying to crack Strange.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »

villains revealed?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »

let the Joseph Gordon-Levitt rumors commence.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2013, 09:50:25 PM

let the Joseph Gordon-Levitt rumors commence.

I heard Joseph Gordon-Levitt might be in it.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 12:26:20 AM »

I like him...but he's definitely not the guy I'd choose for Dr. Strange.  I'd prefer they go with an unknown like they did with Thor.  But then again, I'm a bit of a Dr. Strange groupie.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 12:39:05 AM »

dangit, I know who would be perfect!

Spoiler for Hiden:

and it's not like he has never done a Disney film before biggrin

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 12:44:14 AM »

I hate to say it, but he would be pretty good.

OTOH, they could get Olver Platt to lose a ton of weight.  Done deal.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 01:33:56 AM »

Now I want to see Carrot Top as Dr. Strange.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 01:55:14 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 16, 2013, 01:33:56 AM

Now I want to see Carrot Top as Dr. Strange.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 03:29:41 AM »

We're going about this all wrong.  Iron Man was known as an alcoholic so they cast someone associated with substance abuse.  Dr. Strange is known as a surgeon so they'll cast someone associated with medical roles:

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 04:18:22 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on July 16, 2013, 03:29:41 AM

Dr. Strange is known as a surgeon so they'll cast someone associated with medical roles:

hmmm.....

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »

I think Urban could do it.  The man has impressed me in almost everything he's done.  Yeah, he seems to mostly be an action star...but he's one that brings some actual talent to the genre.

...but seeing Hawkeye Pierce manipulate the mystic arts and fight the dread Dormammu from his downtown New York townhouse would make my year.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »

Doctor Strange to Bring The Supernatural to Marvel's Movie Universe.  well duh.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »

You're thinking he's going to be white ... perhaps not (sticking with the surgeon-in-a-previous-role motif):

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 12:27:44 AM »

they could bring in House.  'it's not possession, it's never possession!'

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2013, 12:27:44 AM

they could bring in House.  'it's not lupine! it's never lupine!'

FTFY.

Also -

Listen up you idiots. You've been wagging wolfs bane around the patient expecting him to get better. Well, I've got some news for you - test results are back, and the REASON this "Werewolf" can eat from silver forks is that he, in fact has Hypertrichosis.

If you morons don't mind, can we get back to finding the Masters of Evil? I'd like to get that done with so I can get to my to-do list - ah, number one: Cuddy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:07:48 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 02:41:35 AM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »

Depp?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: