http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 10:23:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Django Unchained  (Read 1914 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:37:13 PM »

I haven't been paying much attention to this upcoming film from Quentin Tarantino, but lately I've been seeing more and more shots from the set and have started becoming interested.  a trailer is supposed to be attached to Prometheus, and it's due Christmas Day.

Django Unchained is set in the Deep South, and follows Django (Foxx), a freed slave who treks across America with Dr. King Schultz (Waltz), a German dentist turned bounty hunter. Together, they try to retrieve Django's wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) from the charming but sadistic Francophile plantation owner Calvin Candie (DiCaprio) and his band of ruthless slavers.

I'm hoping this won't turn out like Inglorious Basterds, which looked to be a promising action film from the trailer but ended up being fairly light on action.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 02:45:09 AM »

the clothes all look nice and clean  Tongue

Is this the film that Sacha Baron Cohen,Kurt Russell,Kevin Costner and Joseph Gordon-Levitt all pulled out off?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:29:32 AM »

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow&sns=fb

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 07, 2012, 05:29:32 AM

Anticipated as always from Q.

That shot of blood on the cotton is pretty awesome.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »

The trailer before Prometheus was (imho) both tremendous and tremendously confusing. Seemed like some sort of hybrid of Inglorious Basterds and any classic western you choose to name, and perhaps some 1970s movies. I love some of Tarantino's stuff, and then some of his films I just don't "get." Will be interesting to see which category this falls under...

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 12:10:19 AM »

Hmmmm... Tarantino announced that DC Comics will be publishing a 5 issue miniseries for the movie, and it would be filling in stuff that he couldn't get into the film.  I wonder if it will focus on Nero's Django's backstory a bit biggrin

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »

latest trailer

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »

DiCaprio looks like he's having fun.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:48:33 PM »

I had to double take towards the end of the trailer when Jonah Hill took off his lynch mask,as i thought it was Chris Penn

Looks cool though

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »

and another trailer.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 07:01:07 PM »

Looks like this film is not for Spike Lee

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it," he told Vibe Magazine, when asked about Django. "All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

Later, Lee continued to criticize the film's take on the subject matter, which alternates between the brutal, including depictions of torture and whippings, and the comic, highlighted by much of the dialogue assigned to Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio.
"American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them," Lee wrote, which he then followed with responses to fans both critical and supportive of his stance.

After a fan wrote that Django was just a film and not to be taken seriously, Lee responded, "Wrong.Birth Of A Nation Got Black Folks Lynced [sic]. Media Is Powerful. DON'T SLEEP. WAKE UP YO."

Lee has long been a critic of Tarantino, whose films often deal with race in controversial ways. Following the release of Tarantino's 1997 blacksploitation tribute, Jackie Brown, Lee said, “I have a definite problem with Quentin Tarantino’s excessive use of the n-word. And let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »

I saw it today and I really enjoyed it. Waltz and Foxx worked great off of each other and the whole film was packed with excellent actors. It was over the top and did veer occasionally between comic brutality and more chilling views of violence and slavery, but overall I think it was fairly consistent with its exaggerated tone.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 24, 2012, 07:01:07 PM

Looks like this film is not for Spike Lee

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it," he told Vibe Magazine, when asked about Django. "All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors. That's just me... I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody else."

Later, Lee continued to criticize the film's take on the subject matter, which alternates between the brutal, including depictions of torture and whippings, and the comic, highlighted by much of the dialogue assigned to Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio.
"American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them," Lee wrote, which he then followed with responses to fans both critical and supportive of his stance.

After a fan wrote that Django was just a film and not to be taken seriously, Lee responded, "Wrong.Birth Of A Nation Got Black Folks Lynced [sic]. Media Is Powerful. DON'T SLEEP. WAKE UP YO."

Lee has long been a critic of Tarantino, whose films often deal with race in controversial ways. Following the release of Tarantino's 1997 blacksploitation tribute, Jackie Brown, Lee said, “I have a definite problem with Quentin Tarantino’s excessive use of the n-word. And let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word -- I’ve used that word in many of my films -- but I think something is wrong with him."

Spike has been a outspoken critic of Quentin Taratino since Pulp Fiction and honestly, I'm "meh" about his opinion.   I'll be seeing Django Unchained sometime this week and I can only hope he starts working on the next installment of the Bride's story soon

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 26, 2012, 03:56:26 PM

Spike has been a outspoken critic of Quentin Taratino since Pulp Fiction and honestly, I'm "meh" about his opinion.   I'll be seeing Django Unchained sometime this week and I can only hope he starts working on the next installment of the Bride's story soon

Well, if you read halfway down this article, you'll see that it's not looking so good for Kill Bill 3.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on December 26, 2012, 05:27:45 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 26, 2012, 03:56:26 PM

Well, if you read halfway down this article, you'll see that it's not looking so good for Kill Bill 3.

Yeah, I saw that article and I hope he is just being coy

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 06:58:31 AM »

According to Tarantino this may be a number 2 of an unofficial trilogy,the first being 'Basterds'

http://www.filmofilia.com/tarantino-still-planning-a-closing-part-of-basterdsdjango-trilogy-130129/

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 10:17:22 PM »

My wife and I caught this today. We are total whores for Tarantino movies. We both agreed that it was great, but not among our favorites by him. So I would say it's quite a bit better than Jackie Brown, but after that I am not sure where I would rank it among his movies. Thumbs up, however.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 07:13:53 AM »

Ricky Gervais(yeah,i know)...has a 52 second audio review here

The film opens on the 18th of January in the UK,so gonna go see it for my Birthday(the week after)

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 05:54:35 PM »

Saw this last night and loved it.  It is probably my favorite Tarantino film now.  Most of the scenes were very well done and at times I was laughing my ass off at it.  Lots of big name actors in it with small part.  Would be interested to see if he ever releases the 5 hour cut that is supposed to exist some time.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 04:26:23 AM »

All right, so what do people think of the depiction of race in the film? I'm not talking Spike Lee's obviously messed-up view, what do you think?

My only complaint was that Django didn't have much agency during the first half of the film.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Schultz taught him to fight, to shoot, to read, etc. It was like the "magical Negro" but in reverse. Sure, he was a "natural," but Django and most of the slaves only did anything at the beginning because a white man rode in. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

Having said that, I absolutely loved it.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on January 08, 2013, 04:26:23 AM

All right, so what do people think of the depiction of race in the film? I'm not talking Spike Lee's obviously messed-up view, what do you think?

My only complaint was that Django didn't have much agency during the first half of the film.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Schultz taught him to fight, to shoot, to read, etc. It was like the "magical Negro" but in reverse. Sure, he was a "natural," but Django and most of the slaves only did anything at the beginning because a white man rode in. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

Having said that, I absolutely loved it.

I actually prefer that to the "oh look, I magically know how to do all these things myself even though I've lived as a slave all my life!"  Anything else would have felt fake and Hollywoodized in my opinion.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »

I went to see this Sunday just gone(I was sick as a dog-still am-,shivering and could hardly hear a thing due to ears being blocked with headcold)

I thought Christoph Waltz was again brilliant,good film ..for me i think it was on par with Inglorious Basterds,whereas i liked the film but probably not as good as his earlier movies

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 12:22:56 PM »

what could of been....an thankfully wasn't

Will Smith explains why he turned down Django

Although his reasons are a little bizarre

When Django Unchained was in the planning stages, a number of quality actors were linked to the title role. One of those was Will Smith, who for a while seemed the running favourite to play Django. Eventually though, it was Jamie Foxx that snagged the part in Quentin Tarantino's Oscar-winning movie, and Will Smith has now revealed why he turned the job down.

Talking to EW, he said that “Django wasn't the lead, so I was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead! I was like 'No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!”

saywhat

whatever

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »

There's a similar story about an actor's ego for Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands.  Apparently the studios pushed for Tom Cruise, but Cruise took one look at the makeup Burton wanted for the character and told them he wouldn't do it unless they made him more handsome.  Burton then turned to Johnny Depp after the studio mentioned him as a possibility (he was an up and coming young star back then).  When shown the makeup, Depp supposedly asked them if they could add more (including the numerous cuts on the face that make sense for such a character).

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »

Considering that Tom Cruise got pretty grungy for Born on the Fourth of July, which came out a year prior), I don't know if I buy that.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »

It could be just a hollywood fable.  Cruise was up for the role first and dropped out, that much is true.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »

just got this from Netflix.  awesome film, definitely going to pick it up at some point for my collection.  great mix of humor and violence with some fun dialogue.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: