http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:15:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Blade Runner prequel or sequel coming?  (Read 2410 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »

final negotiations are under way for the rights to make either a sequel or a prequel. Considering how old most of the original cast is I'm guessing a prequel will feature an all new cast  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »

I'm in if Phillip K Dick writes the story.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:54:36 PM »

I'd read a few other articles about this earlier this week. The license only grants them rights to make prequels and sequels so at least they can't remake the 82 movie. I have my doubts about this because it's Alcon Entertainment. I'll give them credit for doing some nice production with The Book of Eli and Insomnia, but they also did the dreadful remake of the Wicker Man.  icon_eek  IIRC they haven't done much of any SciFi of Film Noir, so I'm not really optimistic about what they'll do with Blade Runner. Too bad the franchise rights didn't end up solely in the hands of Christopher Nolan.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 05, 2011, 08:45:00 PM

Well...seeing how he died the same year the original film was released, I think he'd have a hard time writiing anything. But hey - you just never know.... slywink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »

I think it's going to be Hayden Christiansen in Harrison Ford's role, complete with a pouty narration, and hmmm, Jessica Biehl in Sean Young's role, with extra large padded shoulders. Maybe Bradley Cooper (because The Hangover fooled all the studios into thinking he's a "movie star" and now he's in a crappy new movie each month) in Rutger Hauer's role because hey, he's blonde. I think originally they wanted Tony Scott to direct it so it had a Top Gun feel, but now Uwe Boll is moving up on the director list.

Be very afraid...  Bring your own! smirk

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 05, 2011, 08:58:49 PM

I think it's going to be Hayden Christiansen in Harrison Ford's role, complete with a pouty narration, and hmmm, Jessica Biehl in Sean Young's role, with extra large padded shoulders. Maybe Bradley Cooper (because The Hangover fooled all the studios into thinking he's a "movie star" and now he's in a crappy new movie each month) in Rutger Hauer's role because hey, he's blonde. I think originally they wanted Tony Scott to direct it so it had a Top Gun feel, but now Uwe Boll is moving up on the director list.

It's not funny if you completely ignore the facts.  Like the article says, they have no plan on doing a remake of the original film. 

They've also said they'd love to have Nolan direct, but I don't see any reason why he'd do that. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on March 05, 2011, 08:56:35 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on March 05, 2011, 08:45:00 PM

Well...seeing how he died the same year the original film was released, I think he'd have a hard time writiing anything. But hey - you just never know.... slywink

If anyone can write a screenplay from beyond the grave, PKD can. Otherwise it's a deal-breaker for me.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on March 05, 2011, 09:12:45 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 05, 2011, 08:58:49 PM

It's not funny if you completely ignore the facts.  

no, it's still funny  icon_lol

Because I can,
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 05:14:29 AM »

Please say no.   The original was based off a short story which was considerably less involved than the movie.  All a sequel likely does is destroy the ambiguity of the ending and all a prequel does is provide too much back-story likely destroying the ambiguity of Deckard's true nature.

Making a prequel or sequel for this film is idiotic.  Where the characters came from and where the story ends aren't meant to be continued in either direction.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »

Quote from: theohall on March 06, 2011, 05:14:29 AM

Please say no.   The original was based off a short story which was considerably less involved than the movie.  All a sequel likely does is destroy the ambiguity of the ending and all a prequel does is provide too much back-story likely destroying the ambiguity of Deckard's true nature.

Making a prequel or sequel for this film is idiotic.  Where the characters came from and where the story ends aren't meant to be continued in either direction.

Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep? was a novel, not a short story, but the film was only loosely based on it. And there have already been three sequel novels written by K.W. Jeter who was a personal friend of P.K. Dick. But as noted, I don't really see the point of resurrecting this at either end as I can't imagine it being anything other than... weak.. but that hasn't stopped similar idiotic ideas in the past.  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 04:42:33 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 05, 2011, 07:36:44 PM

+100

DO NOT WANT!! finger

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 06, 2011, 04:42:33 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 05, 2011, 07:36:44 PM

+100

DO NOT WANT!! finger

on the plus side, it can't be any worse than the original movie.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 06, 2011, 05:11:44 PM

on the plus side, it can't be any worse than the original movie.

The original version has an undeservedly bad reputation in my opinion.  OK, the narration was unnecessary and the happy ending was...unnecessary.  But even that version is still head and shoulders above a great deal of films.  We're fortunate that Scott released the other cuts.

Steam profile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »

I imagine CeeKay is just stirring the pot.

However, I will go on a limb and say that I actually prefer the narration of the original.  I think it was perfectly suited to the sub-genre they were going for, the detective noir film.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 06, 2011, 05:54:25 PM

I imagine CeeKay is just stirring the pot.

However, I will go on a limb and say that I actually prefer the narration of the original.  I think it was perfectly suited to the sub-genre they were going for, the detective noir film.

although i like the 'whatever is the latest' version(how many versions are there now?)best...i didn't mind the Marlowe type original,it was a good idea,may not of come off that great for critics and the like but i liked it anyhow.

however,back in the day it was just a film i liked,nothing more...but with the various re-releases its a classic and probably wouldn't surprise me if it was in my top 10(not that i have ever made that list)

see Lucas,if you really have to fuck about with your films(IF you have to that is,and it seems you do),put stuff back in that was filmed at the time!!..don't just film new stuff and put it in(yes Hayden at the end of Jedi still pisses me off)

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 06, 2011, 03:22:12 PM

Please say no.   The original was based off a short story which was considerably less involved than the movie.  All a sequel likely does is destroy the ambiguity of the ending and all a prequel does is provide too much back-story likely destroying the ambiguity of Deckard's true nature.

Making a prequel or sequel for this film is idiotic.  Where the characters came from and where the story ends aren't meant to be continued in either direction.

Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep? was a novel, not a short story, but the film was only loosely based on it. And there have already been three sequel novels written by K.W. Jeter who was a personal friend of P.K. Dick. But as noted, I don't really see the point of resurrecting this at either end as I can't imagine it being anything other than... weak.. but that hasn't stopped similar idiotic ideas in the past.  icon_confused

I still stand with sequels and prequels to that story - even the ones that have been written - as being idiotic.  The story ends starts and ends with the basic question of what is truly human.  Going beyond that - what's the point?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »

I wouldn't mind seeing them explore the world created by the movie and novel.  You could do that without having the primary characters from the 1982 movie showing up.  Something that dealt with life on the off-world colonies, etc.

- American Dad
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on March 05, 2011, 09:12:45 PM

They've also said they'd love to have Nolan direct, but I don't see any reason why he'd do that.

Agreed, unless he's given total control of production I can't see him taking it on.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 06, 2011, 05:54:25 PM

However, I will go on a limb and say that I actually prefer the narration of the original.  I think it was perfectly suited to the sub-genre they were going for, the detective noir film.

The problem with the original narration wasn't so much the quality of the voice, dialog or even it's general concept. I agree it's not out of place in a futuristic take on Film Noir such as Blade Runner. The problem was the entire film was shot without narration in mind and consequently the film was poorly edited to shoehorn it in. IMO the directors cut and the original are night and day in editing quality and overall film flow.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:50:30 PM by kronovan » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »

Please say no.   The original was based off a short story which was considerably less involved than the movie.  All a sequel likely does is destroy the ambiguity of the ending and all a prequel does is provide too much back-story likely destroying the ambiguity of Deckard's true nature.

Making a prequel or sequel for this film is idiotic.  Where the characters came from and where the story ends aren't meant to be continued in either direction.

Why is this such a bad thing?   Some people enjoy having a story wrapped up in a nice bow with no ambiguity to the ending

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 04:23:30 PM »

Loved the movie(s), but really, I dont understand the outrage. You don't need to see it, if you dont like the new one or the idea of a new one.

Its not like the old versions will be erased or something.

I too would love to see a return to the universe, and delve deeper into the society and the impact of androids on a society and the socio economic aspects of it... ah screw that, i want to see the battle of Tannhauser gate and what C-Beams are!

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »

so any word from Ridley Scott on the matter or has he distanced himself from it,after the troubled BladeRunner production?

and his he still up for Alien Prequel?

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 07, 2011, 04:20:45 PM

Why is this such a bad thing?   Some people enjoy having a story wrapped up in a nice bow with no ambiguity to the ending

i think one of the comments on that link that CK gave said it spot on if it were a prequel EDIT:and to Raz's post as well

MarlboroTestMonkey7:
Finally we will get to see the attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be reduced from the glory of replicant poetry to 3D CGI effects, like tacked content. Time to die.

this comment actually made me shudder

my imagination has probably done a better vision Tongue

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »

then, don't watch it?

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 07:41:01 PM »

Ooooo, Mr Grumpy ate his Grumpyflakes this morning! slywink

(love you really Raz)

Steam profile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 07, 2011, 04:23:30 PM

Loved the movie(s), but really, I dont understand the outrage. You don't need to see it, if you dont like the new one or the idea of a new one.

I too would love to see a return to the universe, and delve deeper into the society and the impact of androids on a society and the socio economic aspects of it... ah screw that, i want to see the battle of Tannhauser gate and what C-Beams are!

Here's the deal, I think.  For most people, the Star Wars prequels have tainted the whole Star Wars cannon, if only because Lord George has become something of a turd.

And this is from someone who actually likes the prequels.

Basically, it doesn't matter if you see it or not, the taint is still out there. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 07, 2011, 07:41:01 PM

(love you really Raz)

heh, yeah - I know..that sounded crass, sorry!

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 07, 2011, 08:16:17 PM

Here's the deal, I think.  For most people, the Star Wars prequels have tainted the whole Star Wars cannon, if only because Lord George has become something of a turd.

Basically, it doesn't matter if you see it or not, the taint is still out there. 

Starwars? We're not talking about starwars or Lucas here, but something completely different. I semi-understand your argument though, but I don't agree.  I love the old starwars movies, but hate the new ones. I still love the old ones, and really couldn't care less about the new ones.

I guess I don't understand the /alistair pronounciation Taint /alistair pronounciation off

;-)

A new one
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 04:36:40 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 07, 2011, 04:20:45 PM

Why is this such a bad thing?   Some people enjoy having a story wrapped up in a nice bow with no ambiguity to the ending
Because prequels or sequels deny the entire premise of the original story.  The entire point of the story is about humanity/robotics and which is truly real?  Going with a prequel necessarily creates an environment in which some characters humanity/roboticism is co-opted.  Going with a sequel - same thing.  Anything beyond the base destroys the essential premise of the base.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 04:58:31 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 07, 2011, 08:58:37 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 07, 2011, 07:41:01 PM

(love you really Raz)

heh, yeah - I know..that sounded crass, sorry!

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 07, 2011, 08:16:17 PM

Starwars? We're not talking about starwars or Lucas here, but something completely different. I semi-understand your argument though, but I don't agree.  I love the old starwars movies, but hate the new ones. I still love the old ones, and really couldn't care less about the new ones.

I guess I don't understand the /alistair pronounciation Taint /alistair pronounciation off

;-)

Well, I wouldn't say it's an argument so much as a theory. You said you didn't understand what the complaints were about, so I tried to explain one possibility.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 06:16:07 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 07, 2011, 04:25:20 PM

so any word from Ridley Scott on the matter or has he distanced himself from it,after the troubled BladeRunner production?

and his he still up for Alien Prequel?

His new Alien movie has moved into something a bit different, called Prometheus, but they are being somewhat vague about the links to the Alien universe.  It sounds like it could be viewed as an Aliens sequel but won't necessarily have any obvious links to that universe.  It's about to go into production, with a release next year.

- American Dad
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 07, 2011, 08:58:37 PM

I can see the argument for the taint and I think Star Wars is a good example.  The prequels have ruined Star Wars for me, even the original version of the old ones.  I used to love Star Wars and the universe.  I can't watch the old versions and completely ignore the new stuff.  Ok, maybe the old movies themselves are still ok, but in my head "Star Wars" just is not the same.  I just don't like "Star Wars" as much as I used to.  I don't want that to happen with Blade Runner. 
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 06:47:45 PM »

On the subject of Scott himself, I truly believe he's one of the most overrated directors in film.  He had some great films early on (the aforementioned Bladerunner and Alien), but subsequent films could easily have been directed by just about any filmmaker with a few films under his/her belt.  To me, they're just cookie cutter epics that follow the same rulebook each time.  They're enjoyable at the time, sure.  But they're not what I think a director with his reputation SHOULD be able to do.

edit:  off topic, but while looking over Scott's resume on IMDB.com, I came across this show.  Now I really want to find a copy of it as it sounds really offbeat and fun.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:50:59 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »

Hepcat I agree 100% with your assessment of Scott.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same!

Steam profile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 08, 2011, 06:47:45 PM

edit:  off topic, but while looking over Scott's resume on IMDB.com, I came across this show.  Now I really want to find a copy of it as it sounds really offbeat and fun.  

Adam Adamant,  lol  icon_biggrin I remember the CBC running a few episodes of it some years after it originally ran. It might have lasted the whole 1st season here, but I think it bombed. I don't remember it being that great other than a few shows, but I was very young at the time. I'd read that Scott only directed a few episodes, so maybe those were the better ones. I remember the female lead was also in some episodes of a very good series called the Persuaders, which aired a few years after Adam Adamant.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »

I like Ridley Scott,although every film he does certainly doesn't hit the mark(G.I Jane,Hannibal,Robin Hood) the films i have enjoyed -Alien,Blade Runner,Legend,Black Rain,Gladiator,Black Hawk Down,Kingdom of Heaven(i can't comment on 'someone to watch over me','Thelma and Louise', '1492:Conquest of Paradise' and 'American Gangster' as i have not seen them)

he may not make my top ten..but i am still a fan

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »

MSN

not much new being said

Ridley Scott to Direct New 'Blade Runner'
We’ve known since March that Warner Bros.’ financing and production company Alcon Entertainment was working on securing a rights package (one that included rights specifically for prequels and sequels, not remakes) for Ridley Scott’s iconic sci-fi thriller “Blade Runner,” but news has been quiet since then. Not so today. Deadline reports that the film’s original director, Ridley Scott, is set to direct and produce a new “Blade Runner” film that “advances [the] seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film.”

The exclusive news doesn’t come with many details – it’s unknown if this next film will be a sequel or a prequel, whether any of the original cast will be involved, and how much it will reach back to the film’s source material, Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Considering that the first film was only very loosely based on that work, it’s safe to say that we probably won’t get too much more Dick in this new film. The only thing we do know is that it will not be a remake, at least as far as Alcon’s rights package guarantees that.

The original “Blade Runner” was released by Warner Bros. in 1982, and the Harrison Ford-starring film was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples. The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction). It also routinely tops "best of" lists and was, in 2007, "was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society." As Deadline notes, the film was not a blockbuster at the time of its release, but it has clearly gained a huge amount of respect in the intervening thirty years.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 08:57:12 AM »

Ridley Scott not really saying anything new

In an interview with Speakeasy, Scott said he is on board to direct a “Blade Runner” follow-up and has been interviewing writers who can help him with the screenplay. Scott says the new project is “liable to be a sequel.”

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »

He needs to find someone who can write at the same level of quality that brought us Rutger's character's soliloquy towards the end of the original.  That scene still strikes me as one of the best ever in a sci fi film (hell...ANY film).

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 07, 2011, 05:55:32 PM

He needs to find someone who can write at the same level of quality that brought us Rutger's character's soliloquy towards the end of the original.  That scene still strikes me as one of the best ever in a sci fi film (hell...ANY film).

They used two different screenwriters on the first movie plus Ridley Scott changed things plus Hauer added a bunch of stuff on his own that they kept.  He modified that soliloquy, for example.

- American Dad
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »

That's even more impressive.   icon_eek

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 03:45:09 AM »

If they did something in the same universe with new characters (and without referencing the fates of the old characters), it could be worth seeing, though I doubt it could ever live up to the original.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: