http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 04:47:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] Be Cool gets the big thumbs down  (Read 1012 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2005, 01:20:15 PM »

Watched "Be Cool" this weekend.  Is it just me or was that movie a never ending string of cameo crap?  Ugh...just woefully bad.  What is it with these movies? Was there a large group of people saying "Yea, that'd be great...lets do a sequel to that movie that did horrible 'Get Shorty', I'm sure it'll be better than its source material."?  Surely I'm not alone in this...

</rant>

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 02:05:59 PM »

I detested it! I sat through it wishing it would end, and it just kept going and going.

Ascendent
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 02:23:40 PM »

Steven Tyler looks like the crypt keeper in that movie too.  Bleh.  The only part that was mildly entertaining for me was the T-Shirts that Uma Thurman wore.  Thats pretty thin.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 02:23:44 PM »

I watched it a few weeks ago with my wife, after decrying that she rented it.

IMHO, this was a movie which was confused about what it wanted to be. Ostensibly, it was a follow on to Get Shorty, but the storyline was a copy of Get Shorty more or less (open Get Shorty script: find "movie" substitute "recording industry".. taa daa!). Now of course, this MAY be related to the original material (which I'm not familair with) and if so, well, then it was a bad idea for a sequel anyway.

In addition, the insertion of the 3 or 4 musical "numbers" was mind bogglingly moronic. Want to see a movie come to a screeching halt? Have a comedy/action film insert a 5 minute song where the camera pans around the singer the whole time. What a horrible idea.

And that song number at the end, the one the singer supposedly won an award for... man, that was the worst of the bunch.

The highlight of the film was Vince Vaughn and the Rock... I actually thought the Rock was hilarious in that part (and to tell the truth, Vince is funnier here than he is in Wedding Crashers).

Anyway, it's a decidedly mediocre movie, to be sure. Thank God for the fast forward button on my DVD player. smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 04:17:50 PM »

I mostly agree with Charlatan.  Fast forward through the music numbers and The Rock was the best part of the movie (although I didn't like Vince Vaughan in this one).  Overall it was a piece of crap, though.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 04:20:58 PM »

I enjoyed it, but agree that it was sort of lost in trying to figure out what it wanted to be. The story was really exceedingly simplistic, with that stupid mob-hit thingy thrown in just confusing things even more.

The rock and VV were fantastic though.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 10:16:36 PM »

"Be Cool" is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.  Vince Vaughn and the Rock made it tolerable, I guess.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 03:15:05 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
"Be Cool" is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.  Vince Vaughn and the Rock made it tolerable, I guess.

Agreed.  It also just seemed like a big advertising campaign for a couple of companies.  I've never seen so many advertisements plastered in a movie before.  I hear that The Island supposidly has even more?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 03:43:07 AM »

Quote from: "depward"

Agreed.  It also just seemed like a big advertising campaign for a couple of companies.  I've never seen so many advertisements plastered in a movie before.  I hear that The Island supposidly has even more?

The Island has, hands down, the most obnoxious product placement I've ever seen in a movie.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 10:23:42 AM »

My parents rented be cool and let me borrow it...though I knew it was supposed to be horrible.

So I rented get shorty (haven't seen it in years) to get the flavor of the characters again: GS is a fabulous film. Travolta is brilliant and charismatic.

In Be Cool it's as if he's a whole different person. The accent is wrong. The mannerisms...etc.

Chili Palmer of GS is SO much cooler than whomever that guy is supposed to be in BC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: