http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 05:34:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] The Dark Knight Rises - Impressions start page 12  (Read 25492 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 11, 2012, 02:28:37 AM »

I don't have time for the marathon either, but I have purchased my IMAX tickets for 8:15 on Friday night  Headbanging!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 11, 2012, 10:11:36 PM »

All who attend the IMAX midnight show of The Dark Knight Rises on July 20th (the evening of July 19th) will receive an exclusive, limited edition IMAX 12:01 print featuring Gotham's newest villain, Bane!

Find a list of participating theatres here!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 12, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »

Hans Zimmer's soundtrack album is being streamed here.

Enjoy!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 12, 2012, 02:22:06 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 12, 2012, 02:17:49 AM

Hans Zimmer's soundtrack album is being streamed here.

Enjoy!

Qui-Gon dies?  dude, spoilers!!!!!!!!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 12, 2012, 04:33:28 AM »

some new Mondo posters:

first one is going to be sold at Comic-Con and the second is supposed to be some unannounced sweepstakes award.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 12, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »

I think I'll do the IMAX trilogy (AMC) next Thursday, if I can still get a ticket tonight. I'll keep ya'll posted.  icon_smile Now if only I had a smartphone, I could give you all real time updates, at least between the movies.  icon_razz You'll have to settle for pix of the lanyard pass and poster.

I don't know what I'll do with the poster when I make restroom visits. I'll "stick it" somewhere.  paranoid

I wish my brother and nephew could come up and join me, but I don't think staying up til 3 a.m. is in the cards for them, not even during the summer.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:33:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 12, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »

Pee Wee Herman does the voice over for the trailer. nod

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 13, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 12, 2012, 05:30:39 PM

I think I'll do the IMAX trilogy (AMC) next Thursday, if I can still get a ticket tonight. I'll keep ya'll posted.  icon_smile Now if only I had a smartphone, I could give you all real time updates, at least between the movies.  icon_razz You'll have to settle for pix of the lanyard pass and poster.
Naturally, I waited too long, and the IMAX trilogy is sold out.  tear

But heck, I just bought a non-IMAX trilogy ticket. Hopefully it's at least in the ETX screen, which is almost big as the IMAX one at the AMC I go to. I even checked their further off locations here in Virginia and it seemed like all IMAX trilogy shows were sold out (although Fandango still listed the ordering link for IMAX shows, when you clicked it, it always said it was sold out).

At least I have $15 left for overpriced concessions.  icon_razz Assuming I like it, I'll try to catch an IMAX show at a later date.

I'll try to share pix of the trilogy poster and lanyard once I recover next Friday (July 20).  icon_smile
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:43:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 13, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »

gotta say its refreshing that this film is not in 3D...means the cinema tickets for AMC Before Midday showing are 4.00  thumbsup

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 15, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »

less than a week to go!  oh, and the Dark Berry Mountain Dew isn't half bad!

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:07 AM »

Just got my marathon pass (non-IMAX only here in Canada). Looks like the shows in Canada start at 6:40, not like you guys in the US that start at 6:00. Which means less break in between movies for us since they both start DKR at 12:01. Pussies. slywink
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 15, 2012, 01:16:48 AM »

Question is now how early to arrive at this thing to guarantee not front row? An hour early?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 15, 2012, 01:37:29 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on July 15, 2012, 01:16:48 AM

Question is now how early to arrive at this thing to guarantee not front row? An hour early?

pretend you're the goddamned Batman and sneak in early to secure your seat before anyone else gets in biggrin

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 15, 2012, 03:19:39 PM »

If the Harry Potter films are any indication, I think two is a safer bet. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 16, 2012, 12:00:50 AM »

Imax tickets preordered!  Can't belive I paid $20 to see it.  But I'm following tradition of watching it opening day with my bro.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 16, 2012, 07:26:08 AM »

9 out of 10 from IGN.  I haven't read it, so beware of spoilers.  4 days! Cabbage Patch

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 16, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted, but this poster is so cool:

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 16, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »

15 reviews counted, 100% on Rotten Tomatoes
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 16, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »

20 things you didn't know about batman begins.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 16, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 15, 2012, 03:19:39 PM

If the Harry Potter films are any indication, I think two is a safer bet.  
Good question -- keep in mind it's a 2 hour 45 minute movie. The chains want to get in as many showings as they can. So I suspect there won't be that much time between showings. That's why I like doing weekend morning shows -- if it's the first show of the day, you might be able to get seated as much as an hour early sometimes.

What I'm worried about with my trilogy show Thursday is just saving my seat (I'm afraid no local buds I know are up for the trilogy or even the midnight show); I'll definitely be going out to the theater/mall early to try to avoid rush hour traffic. I might get a crappy seat and stick a jacket on it or something when I'm hitting the restroom or concessions (hopefully my bladder will out last Dark Knight Rising, but 2 hr 45 mins is a long time.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2012, 03:17:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 16, 2012, 03:08:21 PM

Cool -- I read an interview with Darren Aronofsky a while back (I think from about the time The Wrestler came out), and he indicated he was never seriously interested in doing a Batman movie. He just thought the financial success of doing a "franchise" film might help him with funding for his indy projects.

The Wachowskis doing Batman might've been fascinating. Or, a cosmic mess.  icon_razz

EW had some great interviews with Nolan and Bale in this past weekend's print issue. If they choose to post those online later, I'll share a link. Bale mentions that since he and his wife have young kids, he really only see's children's films, and he lauded Disney/Pixar's Brave in terms of the type of film he wants his daughter to see.

I don't usually fret about spoilers in terms of my own experience, but for a change, I really am trying not to follow links to reviews or to speculation on the ending, or this and that. Hopefully it'll preserve my midnight experience Thursday, assuming I'm still awake after the first 2/3 of the trilogy.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:20:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 16, 2012, 03:08:21 PM

#19 requires that a photoshop be made of Batman smacking Joffrey around biggrin

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 17, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »

Fwiw, Ebert's crying foul in Twitter that most early reviews were supposedly by critics who accepted a paid (ie, the studio pays to fly you to a screening for media) media junket invitation. He'll supposedly get to see it in Chicago with other critics there today (Tuesday). I don't think attending a press junket screening doesn't mean you can't be impartial, but I guess there's a certain impression it gives.

Rotten Tomatoes apparently disabled commenting because angry comments on the couple negative reviews crashed their servers. The negative reviews I've seen so far aren't by critics who hate all comic book based movies, but by folks who find it disappointing and not up to TDK's standard.

I never really understand the vitriol over reviews or opinions. All you can do is share how a film affected you. You can't tell other people how to feel about a movie, book, game, etc., IMHO. icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 17, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »

I'm with Ebert in that reviews that are basically "bought" by studios poison the whole process.  I refer to rottentomatoes when unsure of a film quite a lot and if the reviews I'm seeing are simply those posted by studio lackeys and sycophants, I'm going to be pissed if I find out that the movie sucks and I just blew 20 bucks.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 17, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »

In case you're wondering where to see this in "true" 70mm IMAX (many "retrofitted" IMAX screens in multiplexes are not 70mm IMAX), Collider has a list:
http://collider.com/dark-knight-rises-imax-theaters/180944/

If I like it, I might try to catch it again at the Udvar-Hazy Center (Air and Space Museum Annex) near Dulles Airport. That has an amazing 70mm IMAX screen usually used for documentaries, but they will have Dark Knight Rising. As I recall though, they don't allow food/drink in the auditorium there, and I'm not sure I can last 2 hours 45 minutes in a movie without some sort of snack.  icon_smile

It'll actually be at all the Smithsonian IMAX theaters (6-story screens) in the area (others in DC), so maybe I'll find a way to see it at one of those:

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES LAUNCHES JULY 20 AT ALL SMITHSONIAN IMAX THEATERS!
http://si.edu/imax/movie/65
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:30:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 17, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »

If I remember correctly, Nolan is actually one of the innovators in using imax.  I believe he filmed quite a bit of Dark Knight using that method and it really showed when viewed on those huge screens (especially the scenes from the building top in China).  I'm going to have to seriously debate the rather large ticket price for that kind of premium experience.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »

It's true, hepcat. That's why I feel stupid I missed out on seeing TDK in IMAX, as well as the Trilogy Thursday in IMAX (sold out everywhere). Hopefully I can figure out some way to see Rising in "true" IMAX later in the month.  icon_smile

Variety (which is really not prone to being sycophantic suckups in their reviews) was pretty enthusiastic in its review the other day:
Few blockbusters have borne so heavy a burden of audience expectation as Christopher Nolan's final Batman caper, and the filmmaker steps up to the occasion with a cataclysmic vision of Gotham City under siege in "The Dark Knight Rises."

Running an exhilarating, exhausting 164 minutes, Nolan's trilogy-capping epic sends Batman to a literal pit of despair [as seen in the trailers, he means-bj], restoring him to the core of a legend that questions, and powerfully affirms, the need for heroism in a fallen world.

If it never quite matches the brilliance of 2008's "The Dark Knight," this hugely ambitious action-drama nonetheless retains the moral urgency and serious-minded pulp instincts that have made the Warners franchise a beacon of integrity in an increasingly comicbook-driven Hollywood universe. Global B.O. domination awaits.
I'm trying to figure out how to pace my eating through 8 1/2 hours of movies Thursday.

If I stick with the theater, I'm thinking:
-Uno's personal pizza before sitting for Batman Begins (I had it when I saw Avengers 2nd time at the AMC ETX theater there, and it was surprisingly good for theater food)
-Hot dog (maybe two, at the risk of a heart attack) before sitting for The Dark Knight
-Mozzarella sticks before sitting for The Dark Knight Rises (I hate the pretzel bites and nachos at AMC, but the fried cheese sticks are surprisingly tasty)

Of course there's always the $25 (!) chicken nuggets meal. My God, I could buy 100 McDonald's nuggets for their price.

Then, I need to flush my system about 4 a.m. Friday morning.  icon_razz Since I'm going solo my paranoid  paranoid concern is just not losing my seat when I go to the restoom or my collector's poster. I'm hoping maybe the collector's pass will let me leave the theater to deposit that in my car trunk. My God, I'll be so exhausted by the end of TDK. I really don't know how I'm gonna do this unless I take a mid-day nap Thursday afternoon. We'll see...

Batman Begins is on FX tonight btw. I'm resisting the temptation to watch it but I keep surfing over to it...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:16:42 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 18, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 18, 2012, 01:08:31 AM

Batman Begins is on FX tonight btw. I'm resisting the temptation to watch it but I keep surfing over to it...

just watched it on blu ray.  tomorrow will be the Dark Knight.  maybe the midnight release for Dark Knight Rises.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 18, 2012, 02:26:10 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 17, 2012, 04:24:46 PM

In case you're wondering where to see this in "true" 70mm IMAX (many "retrofitted" IMAX screens in multiplexes are not 70mm IMAX), Collider has a list:
http://collider.com/dark-knight-rises-imax-theaters/180944/

Lucky for me that I live less than 5 minutes walk from a 'true' IMAX in Manchester, CT icon_cool

It is a really great theater and where I try to see pretty much any major movie that is released on IMAX and interests me.  In addition to fantastic image and sound quality, they also have reserved seating for the IMAX theater, and you can pick your exact seats when you buy advance tickets online.  That's how I managed to get pretty much the best seats in the house for 8:15 Friday night without having to show up hours in advance icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 18, 2012, 03:11:57 AM »

Fwiw, Ebert's review went 3/4 stars (he was more keen on the first 2 films' 4 stars each), though he seemed to love the latter part of the film. That was about his same rating for The Avengers so, maybe it's a good sign?  icon_smile

For some reason, I better remember seeing Batman Begins in a theater in July 2005. I had a late work night but didn't want to work until 11 p.m. to reach the midnight show. So I went to the theater earlier and caught a 9 p.m. show of Mr. and Mrs. Smith (which I quite enjoyed), but still had to loiter in the theater a good 45 minutes or so before midnight Batman Begins seating began. I remember there was soooo much applause at the end. And the final scenes with Gordon and Batman left it on such a promising note.

I do wish they'd cast Maggie Glyenhaal as Rachel in BB though. I remember at the time being very annoyed by Katie Holmes' performance -- she just didn't seem up to par with the rest of that cast. Maybe Nolan can digitally paste her (Glyenhall's) face into BB at some point. He can ask George Lucas for tips on doing that! NOoOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  icon_razz

For some reason, I don't quite remember seeing TDK as much even though I saw it three times. I just remember seeing it at the same mall I'm going to on Thursday for the trilogy. And I remember with the opening night midnight show, taking much care to park my car in the garage as close to mall's connector walkway to make sure I wasn't walking too far in a garage at 3 a.m. Still a concern this Thursday.  icon_smile

Thus endeth my nostaglic Batman blathering...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:15:15 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 18, 2012, 03:26:39 AM »

I'm excited and depressed at the same time about Nolan's Batman ending. A long time ago I watched Equilibrium starring Christian Bale, and I immediately thought that this guy would be perfect for the role of Batman.

I only hope that the next reboot treats this franchise with the respect Nolan and crew had given it.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 18, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 18, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 18, 2012, 10:58:18 AM

+1

I wont be able to see it until a week on Friday,so i will be staying out of this thread for one(i know you guys are good with your spoilers,but i am not taking any chances)

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: July 18, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »

Tickets purchased for first Imax showing on Saturday. My local theater is doing the all three movie deal with Rising on at midnight for $25.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 18, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 18, 2012, 03:11:57 AM

Fwiw, Ebert's review went 3/4 stars (he was more keen on the first 2 films' 4 stars each), though he seemed to love the latter part of the film. That was about his same rating for The Avengers so, maybe it's a good sign?  icon_smile

For some reason, I better remember seeing Batman Begins in a theater in July 2005. I had a late work night but didn't want to work until 11 p.m. to reach the midnight show. So I went to the theater earlier and caught a 9 p.m. show of Mr. and Mrs. Smith (which I quite enjoyed), but still had to loiter in the theater a good 45 minutes or so before midnight Batman Begins seating began. I remember there was soooo much applause at the end. And the final scenes with Gordon and Batman left it on such a promising note.

I do wish they'd cast Maggie Glyenhaal as Rachel in BB though. I remember at the time being very annoyed by Katie Holmes' performance -- she just didn't seem up to par with the rest of that cast. Maybe Nolan can digitally paste her (Glyenhall's) face into BB at some point. He can ask George Lucas for tips on doing that! NOoOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  icon_razz

For some reason, I don't quite remember seeing TDK as much even though I saw it three times. I just remember seeing it at the same mall I'm going to on Thursday for the trilogy. And I remember with the opening night midnight show, taking much care to park my car in the garage as close to mall's connector walkway to make sure I wasn't walking too far in a garage at 3 a.m. Still a concern this Thursday.  icon_smile

I'm not a big Katie Holmes fan (although that's improving with her recent ballsy move against Scientology), and I'm usually a big Maggie Gyllenaal fan, but I have to say I thought MG was really not great in the last one.  I thought KH did a better job.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: July 18, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 18, 2012, 03:13:40 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on July 18, 2012, 03:11:57 AM

I'm not a big Katie Holmes fan (although that's improving with her recent ballsy move against Scientology), and I'm usually a big Maggie Gyllenaal fan, but I have to say I thought MG was really not great in the last one.  I thought KH did a better job.

I can't agree that Katie Holmes did a better job acting-wise ("Officer, let me through, I am an assistant DA" was her most laughable line), but I couldn't get over everyone fawning over Maggie Gyllenhaal, especially when the Joker says to her, "...and you are beautiful."

Much like Kirsten Dunst in Spider-Man, I thought the role of Rachel Daws could have been better cast.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 18, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »

Katie Holmes is to talent what tall is to a midget.

I thought Maggie G did a good job.  Sure, she's not exactly Playboy Bunny material, but I kind of liked her just for that alone.  She's a bit plain but she stands out because of her personality and dedication.  Exactly the kind of girl that the real Bruce Wayne (as opposed to the billionaire brat he shows the world) would admire and respect.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 18, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »

I preferred Maggie's more hard-bitten, cynical take on the character rather than Holmes' goo-goo eyes. I just didn't find Holmes believable when she had to act angry or brave.

I really just think Holmes was too young, and her experience to that point was primarily in TV. Maybe now, with Cruise out of her life, she might be better suited for the role.  icon_smile imho, like anything. I mean, it's not "choose your own cast, moviegoer," the cast is what the casting director and director wanted for their take, not an attempt to perfectly replicate a comic book character.

Anyway, this is why I don't hang out in movie chat rooms. Back in 1992 on Prodigy it was just people arguing and disagreeing because nobody had the same opinion about anything concerning movies. And today? The same, there are just more avenues to argue (texting, social media, Twitter, et al).  icon_neutral

fwiw, Wash. Post's female critic was very enthusiastic about TDKR (3.5/4 stars).

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 18, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »

Batman Fans Gagged for Abusing Film Critics

As London prepares for the European premiere of the latest Batman film, a movie website has been forced to suspend user comments after critics received abuse for writing negative reviews.

Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway will head down the red carpet in Leicester Square to launch The Dark Knight Rises.

But as excitement builds over the opening of the film here on Friday, website RottenTomatoes.com has had to stop comments after abusive and threatening messages were left in reaction to poor reviews of the movie.

Matt Atchity, the site's editor-in-chief, said it was the first time Rotten Tomatoes had suspended user comments.

"The job of policing the comments became more than my staff could handle for that film, so we stopped the comments altogether," said Atchity.

"It just got to be too much hate based on reactions to reviews of movies that people hadn't even seen."

While The Dark Knight Rises is currently experiencing a glowing 84% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, the film has been deemed "rotten" by a few critics who said it was "nonsensical" and a "letdown".

The film is the third to be directed by Christopher Nolan, and co-stars Tom Hardy as the hulking, masked villain Bane.

Cillian Murphy, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are also due to attend tonight's premiere.

Rotten Tomatoes said Dark Knight reviews were expected to be restored by the end of the week.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22:23 PM »

Damn right they should be gagged.  Death threats because someone doesn't enjoy a movie you haven't even seen yet?  The internet is a cesspool sometimes.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: