http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 03:46:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] Advent Children  (Read 941 times)
GGMark
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »

many people saw this with the Japanese realease.  With subtitles, or without.  many of us were amazed at the CGI and the story.  many of us were just happy to see one of our all time favorite games brought to life.  Now we have a English release here.

Watched it the other day in 5:1 on my regular TV.  I think it looks great, and sounds great there.  The English Dub is actually done pretty well.  I watched it in English with the subtitles running to see what they changed, and it wasnt much.  A lot of times when movies get translated and the use 'famous' actors as the voice over, its not done well.  I have to say that, for the most part, it was done well.

Today though.  I am sitting here watching it on a 17 inch LCD Widescreen.  WOW, are the colors so crisp.  It actually gives me a new appreciation for the movie seeing it like this.

if you are just interested in anime like CGi movies, then i say check it out.  if your a fan boy already, I think you will like it.  if your just a passing FF fan.  I dont know.  While I dont think you have to have a full knowledge of FFVII, I am sure it helps.  I never finished VII myself, but the GF has done it many times.  so I know the story line, but there were some character interactions that I didnt get.

Either way.   personally, i think its a great movie.  One that not only can I let just go on in the background for the wonderful score/music, but the fight scenes were really done well too.  I really wish I could have seen this in the big theares.  On the big screen, with the loud near ear splitting special effects..smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »

I really didn't care for it all that much when I stumbled upon an "advance copy."  Maybe it was because of the subtitles, but I had a REALLY hard time understanding the story.

Before the movie, Dep and me watched that little retrospective where it essentially tells the FF7 story with cutscenes from within the game, and along with the all-around solid English voice-acting, I really had a clue as to what was going on which made the experience better.

It was a better movie story-wise, it looked fantastic, but it wasn't a super great movie, either.  

Wet dream for FF-fans.
Average for anime fans.
Lame for non-gamers.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:57:27 PM »

Does it actually make any sense ? The first one did'nt really impress me .

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 05:14:50 PM »

I didn't like it. While I thought it was beautiful to behold, the story just didn't do it for me. Aside from that TML was right on the money with his description.

Ascendent
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 05:18:38 PM »

I watched it last night, and it was 'ehh'.  I'm happy I saw it, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it, especially to people that didn't play the game.  The 'villians' were pretty dull, especially Shinra's henchmen.  Sepiroth coming back in that manner didn't thrill me much either.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 10:18:28 PM »

I enjoyed watching that whole 20 minute or so cinematic/gameplay FFVII story summary they have on the first disc.  That was a nice surprise.

Looked quite good on the television, very pretty.  Just to change it up a bit, yeah, I did watch it the English dubbed version.  Kinda "eh" on it though - like the Japanese dub more, which isn't surprising.

I'm glad that the DVD is at least nicely priced.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 09:23:03 PM »

I thought it was pretty close to perfect.  The "graphics" were constantly amazing, both artistically and technically, and the story was well-done, and made sense.  I tend to have a short attention span, and even with movies that I like, I end up looking at the clock before it's over, wanting to move on and do other things.  When I realized there were only 10 minutes left in AC, I was actually disappointed - I didn't want it to end.  
I enjoyed FF7, but not as much as other games in the series, but I still found myself moved by the movie, especially
Spoiler for Hiden:
Kadaj's death
and the ending.  It was amazing in every sense of the word.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 02:01:38 AM »

Mark me as meh.  I personally thought the 20-minute FF7 recap was better than the movie.  That thing really lays the smack down on individuals who would say console RPGs (or FF7 in particular) can't have well-done, meaningful stories.

Tifa was hot as sex, though.

CROSSPOST

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 05:16:50 AM »

Chalk up another vote for "meh"

Story was both rushed and bland. Characters sucked, even established characters had NO personality.

Graphics were pretty impressive.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 11:57:24 AM »

I posted it before, but in a different topic:

Bad-ass fight scenes. Lame-ass plot. The FFVII Overview, or whatever it was called, was a good refresher. I'd forgotten certain plot points in the however-many-years it's been since I played it. Overall it was worth a rental.

I'm also pretty sure I found the facial animation in Spirits Within to be more amazing/convincing. Though the texturing, particularly the Sephiroth wannabe's leather, was fan-damn-tastic.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 05:33:40 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Mark me as meh.  I personally thought the 20-minute FF7 recap was better than the movie.  That thing really lays the smack down on individuals who would say console RPGs (or FF7 in particular) can't have well-done, meaningful stories.

No, I'm afraid it doesn't.  If you've played FF7, the recap makes perfect sense and works as a good refresher to the story and reminds you why you liked the game so damn much.  If you haven't played FF7, there isn't enough detail or through-line in the clips to show that FF7 had a "well-done, meaningful story."  It hints at something greater, but is woefully inadequate in providing that something greater to the uninitiated.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 06:39:45 AM »

Tifa's duel scene is superb, plus the battle end ring tone bit is funny.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 10:43:32 AM »

Quote from: "Victoria Raverna"
Tifa's duel scene is superb, plus the battle end ring tone bit is funny.

Tifa's duel was awesome, but when his cell phone rang with the battle end ring tone I almost feel out my set.  Awesome.  Worth a rental if you played FF VII

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: