http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:34:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Movie] Act of Valor  (Read 1586 times)
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »

Looks promising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnlPgo9TaGo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 06:54:03 PM »

saw this over @ IMDB last week - I though SEALS' identities were secret?

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »

I'm in Bring your own!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:21 AM »

Quote from: Roman on October 19, 2011, 06:54:03 PM

saw this over @ IMDB last week - I though SEALS' identities were secret?

As a military unit I don't think they have to keep their faces hidden. Unless I'm mistaken, the average SEAL team doesn't do undercover work of any sort, unlike Delta. As in, I don't think they ever go to a target via civilian means.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:54:56 AM »

I'm in.  Not sure if my wife will be.  She was a tough sell on The Hurt Locker, and while she made it through the entire film, when asked what she thought she stands by her original assessment of "I don't know."  She doesn't like war films (hated Black Hawk Down), although for some reason she really liked Tigerland, so odds are she'll be out for this one.  But a friend of mine might certainly be in, so odds are it'll be another guys night out similar to when The Expendables was released.

The biggest draw for me is not only the inclusion of real SEALS, but the use of real equipment as well.  I find the equipment to be just as intriguing as the SEALS themselves.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 03:00:49 AM »

If you and she haven't watched Restrepo yet, Pete, I recommend you remedy that forthwith.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 06:09:08 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 20, 2011, 03:00:49 AM

If you and she haven't watched Restrepo yet, Pete, I recommend you remedy that forthwith.

Another friend recommended it as well.  I'm not sure she'll have any interest whatsoever, but I can queue it up on Netflix when she's out on a girl's date night.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »

It's a documentary rather than an action movie, and a powerful one at that.  It really brings across what these guys go through and the damage that they bring home with them.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 04:32:21 AM »

here's the latest from the Super Bowl:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NfwuOaJPLbY

hadn't been paying attention to this, but someone said it feels like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare the Movie and I agree.  looks damned interesting  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »

So is this a movie or a documentary?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on February 06, 2012, 01:45:11 PM

So is this a movie or a documentary?

From what I can gather, its a scripted action movie using real Navy Seals and real military equipment, instead of standard hollywood actors and props.  It will likely have a documentary feel to it but its not a documentary per se.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »

Ugh... I was hoping this would be a documentary. I'm gonna be the lone voice of dissent here and say this movie is gonna stink. Movies are not real life, and real people are not actors, so I fear that the idea of real Navy SEALs (as interesting as that sounds) is gonna backfire.  I'd love to be wrong though.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »

I feel pretty confident that this movie will suck.  I'm guessing it's funded entirely by the government as a recruiting tool.  Not a bad move, but not something I'm likely to see.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »

I don't care how bad it gets, I'm willing to support it with my dollars.  

I've seen two reviews, both don't give it a good score.  And if you get motion sick, give it a pass:

Quote from: Daily Rotation
Shaky cam is given a new meaning with Act of Valor. Never before had I become so lost while watching a movie. Spatial awareness doesnít exist in Act of Valor. McCoy and Waugh must have dropped the camera a handful of times and went with it because some of the shots are so headache worthy. By the end of the film youíve been rolled up in a rug, thrown out of a plane and launched into buildings. Itís poor camerawork that hides either the budget or the lack of creativity behind the camera.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:52:30 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »

Why would you support a shit movie with your dollars? Are they going somewhere special?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »

Because I'm willing to suffer through a bad one to see it hopefully succeed enough that they give me a good one down the road.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 06:07:14 PM »

All I see is a propaganda film by the government to remind us that we NEED to continue to spend millions on our military because, hey terrorists are in YOUR neighborhood.  If it is a "documentary" then call it one and don't try to pretend it is something else.

I am all for "we need really cool and expensive military shit" but, can't we just take a little of that and take care of our own country first- AND there are no terrorists in my neighborhood- I know 'cause I checked!!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »

Quote from: walTer on February 06, 2012, 06:07:14 PM

All I see is a propaganda film by the government to remind us that we NEED to continue to spend millions on our military because, hey terrorists are in YOUR neighborhood.  If it is a "documentary" then call it one and don't try to pretend it is something else.

I am all for "we need really cool and expensive military shit" but, can't we just take a little of that and take care of our own country first- AND there are no terrorists in my neighborhood- I know 'cause I checked!!
Roll Eyes

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 06, 2012, 06:12:50 PM

Roll Eyes

I know, sorry.  :/
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 06:20:56 PM »

That's why the Air Force just announced that they're retiring 286 aircraft, the F-22 program was chopped, chopped again, and now finished with 1/3 of the initial requisition, the contract for the Global Hawk Block 30 has been cut by 1/3 while we keep the U-2 in service, and the DoD is looking at a total of $487 billion in cuts over the next decade.  

So why are you bitching about a movie that cost $18 million or less to make, and got $13 million from Relativity Media for the rights?

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »

Dear Caffeine,

I think we both know it's time we parted ways.  While our life together has been long and fulfilling in many aspects, it's also resulted in odd mood swings that manifest themselves as unwarranted diatribes that make others think I may have Tourettes.  As of today, I'm going to start seeing your little brother, Decaff.  

Sincerely,

WalTer

p.s. SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:26:59 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 06, 2012, 06:20:56 PM

That's why the Air Force just announced that they're retiring 286 aircraft, the F-22 program was chopped, chopped again, and now finished with 1/3 of the initial requisition, the contract for the Global Hawk Block 30 has been cut by 1/3 while we keep the U-2 in service, and the DoD is looking at a total of $487 billion in cuts over the next decade.  

So why are you bitching about a movie that cost $18 million or less to make, and got $13 million from Relativity Media for the rights?

Oh, I wasn't talking about the money it made to make the movie, but the fact that it is not REALLY a movie but a commercial.  And I am smart enough to realize that.  What scares me is that so many people are not.  
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »

To be fair, lots of movies are just commercials or vehicles to push an agenda; this happens in all genres of film.  Really you can reduce any film to an agenda if you want.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »

Fair enough. But people are stupid. And all the armed forces have been running commercials for years, as well as lovefest films.  This isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last.

The writing will be Hollywood, but it will be interesting to see actual operators sound what they do.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »

This review suggests it's pretty bad as movie, mildly entertaining as action film if you can put up with a lot of the dreaded shaky cam:
http://thedailyrotation.com/act-of-valor-review/

Act of Valor is a neat concept that suffers where it tries to be different. The action is great stuff and impressive considering the budget they probably had to work with, but it doesnít work as an actual film because of its talentless cast. The SEALs belong on the battlefield, not on the big screen, unless itís a documentary.
If you want modern combat movies, you're probably still better off digging up Black Hawk Down or HBO's Generation Kill mini-series.

Documentary-wise, I did buy Restrepo on DVD but just couldn't get into it. Why? Probably because war film documentaries aren't movies -- sometimes you might spend half an hour watching troops yak and never fire a weapon at all. I think it's important to see and experience what are troops overseas are going through, but is it always entertaining to watch? No.

With some exceptions (The Grey and Chronicle seem to be be getting surprisingly strong reviews), February is generally a dumping ground for crap the studios would just as soon write-off.

The no-win about modern combat films is if you're too "movie-like" everyone complains it's not realistic enough (see The Hurt Locker), but if you're too specific to actual combat tactics, IED-defusal techniques etc., you're accused of "putting our troops in danger" by giving away secrets. But I seem to recall most special ops were pleased with how Black Hawk Down portrayed things, w/o feeling it was "giving away secrets." It's a tough balance to achieve. Sometimes if you're too realistic, you just end up with a very dull-paced film.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:40:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 06:38:58 PM »

Quote from: walTer on February 06, 2012, 06:29:54 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 06, 2012, 06:20:56 PM

Oh, I wasn't talking about the money it made to make the movie, but the fact that it is not REALLY a movie but a commercial.  And I am smart enough to realize that.  What scares me is that so many people are not.  

I think you may think you are much smarter than you actually are.  The real smart people don't have to tell people how smart they are.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »

8 + 6 = 14

SO THERE!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 06, 2012, 06:38:58 PM

I think you may think you are much smarter than you actually are.  The real smart people don't have to tell people how smart they are.

Nice one- you win.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 06, 2012, 06:52:00 PM

8 + 6 = 14

SO THERE!

are you sure?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 06, 2012, 07:43:29 PM

Quote from: hepcat on February 06, 2012, 06:52:00 PM

8 + 6 = 14

SO THERE!

are you sure?

I had to take off one shoe to verify...but yes.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »

A little updated blather on this film, which is apparently a Pentagon-commission film that is being termed propaganda (as opposed to say Black Hawk Down, which was a warts-and-all look).

'Act Of Valor' And The Military's Long Hollywood Mission
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/17/act-of-valor-military-hollywood_n_1284338.html
The upcoming film "Act of Valor" is replete with that kind of action, but there are a few things it doesn't have: There are no corrupt officers, no damaged heroes, no queasy doubts about the value of the mission or the virtue of the cause.

That's because "Act of Valor" was born not in Hollywood, but in the Pentagon. It was commissioned by the Navy's Special Warfare Command and its success will be measured not in box-office receipts, but in the number of new recruits it attracts to the Navy SEALs.

"Early on, we were pretty honored and humbled to be asked to take a look at potentially telling their story," said "Valor" producer and former stuntman Scott Waugh, "to take a look at what telling their story would even look like."

This may be the U.S. armed forces' first feature-length recruiting film, but it's far from the first time unsuspecting audiences have been treated to Pentagon propaganda at the movies. As early as 1927, when military assistance on the film "Wings" helped it win Best Picture at the first Oscars ceremony, the Department of Defense has long maintained its own production office that offers filmmakers the latest in arms and high-tech vehicles at cut-rate prices -- as long as their scripts are deemed worthy.
Doesn't mean it won't be entertaining (many 1940s "propaganda" war films were very entertaining), but I still think if the distributor had any confidence in the film, they wouldn't be releasing it in February (though Feb. has had some surprisingly well-grossing movies so far this year, much more so than in years past).

In a way, you might compare this to that America's Army shooter from some years ago.

The article noted that the Pentagon pulled its assistance at the last minute over some script changes, including the sequence where the Jeremy Renner character "lone wolfs" it. While it also bothered me, The Movies generally like Flawed people. Perfect soldiers who do everything perfectly, never suffer post-traumatic stress, never disobey orders or run off and do maybe one really stupid thing, that's just not seen as interesting (fairly or not).

So it'll be curious to see if Act of Valor is interesting if nobody argues, nobody disobeys orders or goes "off plan," and nothing ever goes wrong (if indeed the movie's like that).

I'm still of the mind that until we're totally out of Irag and Afghanistan for a number of years, and the conflicts sort of recede into memory as almost nostalgia, you won't see any modern combat movies do Saving Private Ryan or Platoon type box office. I'm convinced the masses find it painful to watch movies/TV shows (like FX's Over There) about war while we're still going at it. Given a decade or two of emotional distance once those conflicts are over (or at least, we're no longer involved directly), and then the masses might be more receptive to seeing something set in those wars.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:58:16 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »

Ebert weighed in (2.5/4 stars):
http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120222/REVIEWS/120229991
He addresses how they avoided naming the troops involved:
The central characters are played by actual Navy SEALs, who were apparently on active duty during the filming and still are. This makes it difficult to write the ordinary kind of review, because none of their real names are revealed and indeed some of the characters seem to have no names at all. I learn from Rebecca Keegan's article that the characters named Chief Dave and Lt. Rorke are played by SEALs whose real first names are Dave and Rorke. Thanks a lot.

The official cast listing is a baffling mixture of characters without names and names with "uncredited" roles, and doesn't include either Chief Dave and Lt. Rorke, so I am reduced to describing the experience and not the performances.
Much of the movie consists of pure action, punctuated by terse dialogue and few subtleties. We don't get to know the characters as individuals, they don't have personality traits, they have no back stories, they don't speak in colorful dialogue, and after the movie you'd find yourself describing events but not people. Assuming that the characters described as SEALs were being played by real SEALs, all I can say is that they were convincing and weren't asked to do any dramatic stretching they weren't capable of.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »

I just think it's cool that they got real hot Navy Seals for this, I really don't care if it's propaganda or not, just whether it's an entertaining movie.  I was all set to watch it but the shaky-cam comments scared me, as I get easily motion sick and nauseated/headache-y.  If anyone does see it, please let me know how it compares to Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity, Cloverfield, etc. in terms of nausea/motion.  For some reason I can generally tolerate those so if it's not too much worse I'd probably still see it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »

tweet from an ex 'Navy Seal'  slywink

Charlie Sheen ‏ @charliesheen
#ActOfValor Can't stop thinking about this film..! Game changer in action films... Features real Navy Seals! Watching again right now!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »

Quote from: walTer on February 06, 2012, 06:07:14 PM

Try talking to someone in the military who has to wait MONTHS for parts to fix current equipment - because the money is not there.  And it's not "expensive" military shit.  It's simple things like resistors, transistors and the small components that make the bigger more expensive things work.  Guess what happens when that old stuff that can't be fixed is not fixed?  Yep - spend more money on more expensive things.  But that's what our current CinC seems to think is the more appropriate answer while cutting, cutting, and cutting some more.

The military is being chopped to 1/3 of it's current size while half the f'in country doesn't pay taxes and people sit on their ass protesting about not being given enough, instead of actually trying to earn it.  And this lays at the feet of someone who is busy apologizing to enemies while those enemies shoot our soldiers.  But... that's politics. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »

Congratulations!  You succeeded in making Walter look like the intelligent and thoughtful participant in your discussion with that reply.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »

1/2 way through it and i love it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: