http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 09:16:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter  (Read 1818 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »

more stuff here.

Abe + Vampires?

IN!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »

Lincoln, FDR, what's next, Andrew Johnson: Secret Astronaut?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »

I'm happy to see the author having a hand in the adaptation hopefully so that the story remains true to the book. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »

Loooooooved the book

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »

Here you go

Just a teaser really but it doesn't look terrible.  It also doesn't look great.  I am constantly amazed at the creative ways they have to make huge explosions/fires in times before there were weapons to do it.  The whole burning building (or something) piece just looks cheesy.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »

for a movie like this the trailer NOT looking terrible is a downside for me.  i dont want mediocre, for a movie about abe freakin' lincoln killing undead blood drinkers it damn well better look like its god awful terrible so bad its good schlock smile (sp on schlock?  is that even a "real" word or was it added to the lexicon for these explicit purposes?)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »

Seems like a perfectly fine matinee one fine saturday. I'm in.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »

I haven't read the book yet (plan to once a copy frees up at the local library), but is Lincoln supposed to have superhuman strength or the ability to leap tall buildings?  If not, WTF is with filmmakers trying to incorporate Matrix-esque wirework into everything, especially when it doesn't belong?  It was my impression that Lincoln is supposed to be a vampire hunter, but not necessarily have special powers.  Could he chop through trees in a single stroke in the book? 

Right now it looks like another chance to make a cool period piece has been squandered by trying too hard to please the action/special effects addicts with little attention paid to plausibility (vampires notwithstanding). 

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »

Read the book and loooooved it.

Slight book spoiler below....

No Lincoln doesn't have super human powers.   Just a sharp axe smile

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »

I became resigned to the fact that every action movie made post Matrix will, in fact, include at least one (although more than likely a dozen or more) scenes of slo mo fighting.  I've since stopped taking points away from a film for doing so.  Now my negative judgement is based on other things:

1) How much Nicholas Cage is in your movie (with the exception of Ghost Rider, which for some mysterious and ultimately very embarrassing reason I actually enjoy).

2) The inclusion of anyone from a reality tv show.

3) At least one character who talks like a horrible stereotype from a Kid'n'Play movie.

4) Bad slapstick comedy.

5) How much Nicholas Cage is in...oh...yeah...sorry.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 13, 2012, 06:52:59 PM

I became resigned to the fact that every action movie made post Matrix will, in fact, include at least one (although more than likely a dozen or more) scenes of slo mo fighting.

I really don't mind slow-motion fighting at all.  It's the trapeze nonsense and people flying through the air when they have no business doing so that ruins my suspension of disbelief.  If it were a wuxia film like Crouching Tiger I'd understand the flying abilities of the characters, but Abraham Lincoln?  To borrow from NFL Countdown, "Come on, man."

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »

I blame Van Helsing: The Flying Wallenda Years.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »

IN!!

Hopefully a sequel would have another dead president killing the cast of Twilight

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:38:16 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on February 13, 2012, 04:50:04 PM

Here you go

Just a teaser really but it doesn't look terrible.  It also doesn't look great.  I am constantly amazed at the creative ways they have to make huge explosions/fires in times before there were weapons to do it.  The whole burning building (or something) piece just looks cheesy.

I just watched the trailer and those were my thoughts exactly: Not horrible. Not great. And since when are vampires killed with an axe?

Funny aside: I've a friend who pitched to me an idea for an indie horror film that consisted of George Washington controlling an army of vampires during the time of the Revolutionary war. I guess that movie could be the prequel to this.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on February 14, 2012, 12:38:16 AM

Quote from: farley2k on February 13, 2012, 04:50:04 PM

Here you go

I just watched the trailer and those were my thoughts exactly: Not horrible. Not great. And since when are vampires killed with an axe?

Since they killed Dracula with a Bowie knife.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 03:14:38 AM »

a little featurette about the film.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 04:22:49 AM »

trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sjFa0PejYk0

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »

interview with Abe: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/03/18/from-julliard-to-fighting-the-undead-benjamin-walker-on-abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter/

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »

Damn CeeKay is a MACHINE!!!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »

He started this months ago.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »

Where'd you get that idea from, the Jan 19 post date?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »

Meh, I'd much rather watch Ronald Reagan Lord of the Zombies!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 23, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

That was my polite way of letting you know this forum has a search function.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 23, 2012, 06:26:08 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 23, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

That was my polite way of letting you know this forum has a search function.

Where'd you get that idea from, the search button?

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 23, 2012, 07:01:22 PM

Where'd you get that idea from, the search button?

Wait -- that's what that button does? I thought it was for people who wanted to see arches.

Mind. Blown.

- Ash
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »

new interview with Kate Batelo Timur Bekmambetov.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 05:59:44 PM »

red band trailer.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 24, 2012, 05:59:44 PM

I'll be dragging my wife to see this, and blindfolding my son (if I can't get a babysitter)

Edit: I'm kidding, I won't be dragging my wife, she loves the book  slywink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 05:05:11 AM »

cool little promotion of the film:

USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN WELCOMES ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER

"Abraham Lincoln," himself -- actor Benjamin Walker - and Cast and Filmmakers Screened 20th Century Fox's Summer Movie Thriller with Navy Entertainment for Thousands of Sailors Aboard Supercarrier in the Middle East

June 14, 2012, Los Angeles – Abraham Lincoln, in the guise of actor Benjamin Walker, who portrays the 16th president in the summer movie thriller ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER, and the film's cast and crew, yesterday visited the sailors serving aboard the Navy aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, in the Middle East.

The event marked the first time a major motion picture had its debut screening for troops deployed in the Middle East.   

As history's most beloved U.S. president and, according to the movie, its greatest hunter of the undead, Walker was joined aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln by co-stars Anthony Mackie and Erin Wasson, as well as by the film's director Timur Bekmambetov, screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith and producer Jim Lemley. 

Following a five-hour special make-up effects session that transformed Walker into Lincoln, he took photos, in character, with many of the crew, and posed in the captain’s chair.

Over 1800 sailors sat in 90 degree heat and 100 percent humidity in the ship’s hangar bay to watch ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER unspool on a giant screen. They cheered the film’s non-stop action, as well as its blend of fact and fiction. Following the screening, the cast and filmmakers signed autographs and posed several hours for pictures.

In addition, the cast and filmmakers distributed Lincolnesque tophats, as well as fangs - tools that helped the sailors decide, in the words of one of the film's promotional taglines, if they're patriots or vampires.  The sailors also received movie tie-in edition books, provided by Grand Central Publishing.

"The crew of USS Abraham Lincoln was very happy that Twentieth Century Fox and Navy Entertainment hosted the movie’s cast and crew out to the ship. We had a great time watching the movie, meeting the cast and more importantly showing them why we are out here supporting operations in the 5th Fleet area of responsibility. From watching flight ops to signing autographs, the crew had a fun time getting to know the cast and crew,” stated LCDR Steven Curry, USN Public Affairs Officer, USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), Carrier Strike Group Nine (CSG 9).

The filmmakers were thrilled by the one-of-a-kind experience. Screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith stated: "Being a guest aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, and showing its crew the film was an eye-opening, life-changing experience.  Seriously.  I know that sounds like something you're supposed to say to be polite, but it's true.  Not because we got to stand on the flight deck and have our teeth rattled by afterburners, or because the sailors made up one of the most hospitable and enthusiastic audiences I've ever seen -- clapping and cheering Abe on from beginning to end -- but because we got to meet some of the most amazing, talented, hard-working and hospitable people in the world during our stay."

Commented Benjamin Walker: “Becoming Abe aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln and walking the halls was an experience I'll never forget. It gave the sailors a chance to feel a bit of Hollywood magic that I hope they won't forget either.” Walker’s co-star Anthony Mackie noted, “The crew of the USS Abe Lincoln was really supportive and open to the idea of the story being told in a new and different way.  I had a great time talking with all the sailors and have a deep respect for them all.”

And producer Jim Lemley commented: "After landing on the USS Abraham Lincoln and spending time with the brave and committed men and women of the United States Navy, it is clear that the undead of the world don't stand a chance!!!"   

Prior to the event aboard the supercarrier, the filmmakers screened ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER at Camp Lemonnier in Djibouti, Africa, to a standing room only house of almost 700 sailors, soldiers and airmen; and at NSA Bahrain, again for a packed house of military personnel.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER puts down stakes in theaters everywhere June 22, 2012.  The film explores the secret life of our greatest president, and the untold story that shaped our nation. Visionary filmmakers Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov (director of Wanted) bring a fresh and visceral voice to the bloody lore of the vampire, imagining Lincoln as history's greatest hunter of the undead.

Navy Entertainment, a division of Commander, Navy Installations Command, which operates the Navy's Morale, Welfare and Recreation program, brings celebrity shows to Sailors deployed around the world for a taste of home.

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 05:43:11 AM »

"History's most beloved US president"? One of the greatest for sure, but "beloved" is the wrong word.

Cool movie promo, though.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »

Aren't you a little short to be a Lincoln?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 16, 2012, 05:43:11 AM

"History's most beloved US president"? One of the greatest for sure, but "beloved" is the wrong word.

Cool movie promo, though.

The north won so "beloved" is fine. Screw losers.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »

Color me surprised.  Ebert enjoyed it.   I may have to reconsider now and check out a matinee.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 22, 2012, 02:52:39 PM

Color me surprised.   Ebert enjoyed it.  I may have to reconsider now and check out a matinee.
Ebert is lazy this summer imho. He gives almost everything 3 stars. He found Avengers boring and was all agog about Prometheus. I rarely find myself agreeing with him on anything movie wise. But it's just his opinion afterall, not a prediction whether any one of us will enjoy something.

I just don't use Roger as a measuring stick anymore. I do still enjoy his writing, and I own several of his books.

I'm holding out for the sequels:
George Washington, Cherry Tree Butcher
Teddy Roosevelt, Cuban Werewolf Charger
Andrew Jackson, The Zombie War of 1812

You think I'm kidding, but just you watch...  Bring your own!

I don't think I'm bothering with this one. Probably saving my money for Spidey and Batman, and then before you know it, summer will be over, and probably it'll be time for Paranormal Activity VIII or whatever...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:17:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 22, 2012, 05:13:36 PM

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f0888e4cce/abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-sequels?playlist=featured_videos

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 22, 2012, 06:14:57 PM

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f0888e4cce/abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-sequels?playlist=featured_videos

they already have an FDR movie coming out this fall.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »

wait a sec, that could actually work.  the Battle of New Orleans was just the cover up for a zombie uprising.  Crusis, to the bat cave!

um.... start typing biggrin

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »

There's no way this could be bad, right? 

I saw the trailer in the theater recently...most of the audience was cracking up, especially when he threw his hat.   
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 06:49:36 PM »

I thought this was a joke at first. Apparently, Lincoln has also battled zombies.

http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-vs-Zombies/dp/B00872IL6I/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1340390887&sr=1-1&keywords=abraham+lincoln+vs+zombies
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »

The reviewer in my local paper hated it...the reviewer for the SF Chronicle sounded like he liked it, well, didn't hate it anyway.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: