http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 01:19:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [MLB] Pick your World Series Champs now!  (Read 1783 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »

AL East: Toronto Blue Jays

This is my long-shot pick for the year, but they have a great looking team on paper, with very few changes from last season when they got a 83-79 record, and if they can stay healthy they should be in for a great year. The big question mark is health - Rolen, Halliday, Ryan, Burnett were all injured for part of last season. The other big problem spot is Frank Thomas - he's been slowing down for the last few years and he's 40 this year. If he can stay healthy and put up respectable numbers, then the jays are in for a good season.

AL Central: Cleveland

A weak division - They won it last year, and look poised to do it again.

AL West: Seattle

AL Wild Card: Boston Red Sox

It's difficult to imagine a world where the yankees don't get a spot. I have an irrational hatred of them and like every year, I hope they fail this year.

--

NL East: New York Mets

NL Central: Milwakee Brewers

NL West: San Diego Padres

NL Wild Card: LA Dodgers

--

AL Champs: Seattle Mariners

NL Champs: New York Mets

World Series Champs: Seattle Mariners

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 20, 2008, 03:58:15 PM

It's difficult to imagine a world where the yankees don't get a spot. I have an irrational hatred of them and like every year, I hope they fail this year.

You must have loved watching them choke before the fury of the gnats during that one playoff game in Cleveland.  I know I did.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 20, 2008, 04:17:13 PM

You must have loved watching them choke before the fury of the gnats during that one playoff game in Cleveland.  I know I did.

It was a thing of beauty.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:32:29 PM »

I consulted Mr. Potato Head, and he felt pretty confident in the Detroit Tigers.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:54:25 PM »

NICE pick with the Mariners!  I was gonna come in here and toot their horn (they will fight for 1st with the Angels, but probably lose steam with a not-so-deep starting pitching staff by the time July/August rolls around), but the Tigers are absolutely loaded and I see them becoming the World Series Champs.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 05:55:31 PM »

The Mets will win the series.  That is my completely unbiased opinion.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:39:32 PM »

Baltimore Orioles to take it ALL!   eek  saywhat   icon_eek

Okay...

We'll finish behind the D-Rays this year, but we are FINALLY rebuilding with younger talent instead making big splashes with vets way past thier prime  thumbsup

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 06:48:20 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 20, 2008, 05:54:25 PM

NICE pick with the Mariners!  I was gonna come in here and toot their horn (they will fight for 1st with the Angels, but probably lose steam with a not-so-deep starting pitching staff by the time July/August rolls around), but the Tigers are absolutely loaded and I see them becoming the World Series Champs.

Decent hitting, a quality starting rotation (Miguel Batista, Felix Hernandez, Jarrod Washburn, Carlos Silva, Erik Bedard), and they're young so they'll have the drive to win the whole thing. They look good in every position, and the big weakness I see is a lack of power. I see them going a long way.

The Angels hitting is fantastic, but their pitching - they've got Lackey, who's been solid three years straight, Escobar, who seems to have turned his career around since joining the angels, but his numbers with the blue jays were mediocre. Weaver, who's young but talented, and a #4 and #5 guy who's nowhere near as good as those on the Mariners rotation.

It'll be close, but I think the Mariners will top the Angels (5-6 games over at season's end).
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 20, 2008, 06:48:20 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 20, 2008, 05:54:25 PM

Decent hitting, a quality starting rotation (Miguel Batista, Felix Hernandez, Jarrod Washburn, Carlos Silva, Erik Bedard), and they're young so they'll have the drive to win the whole thing. They look good in every position, and the big weakness I see is a lack of power. I see them going a long way.

The Angels hitting is fantastic, but their pitching - they've got Lackey, who's been solid three years straight, Escobar, who seems to have turned his career around since joining the angels, but his numbers with the blue jays were mediocre. Weaver, who's young but talented, and a #4 and #5 guy who's nowhere near as good as those on the Mariners rotation.

It'll be close, but I think the Mariners will top the Angels (5-6 games over at season's end).

I hope you're right, bud biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:53:54 PM »

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS WILL WIN IT ALL*

gellar

* by win it all, I mean place dead last.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »

AL East: Toronto Blue Jays

This is my long-shot pick for the year, but they have a great looking team on paper, with very few changes from last season when they got a 83-79 record, and if they can stay healthy they should be in for a great year. The big question mark is health - Rolen, Halliday, Ryan, Burnett were all injured for part of last season. The other big problem spot is Frank Thomas - he's been slowing down for the last few years and he's 40 this year. If he can stay healthy and put up respectable numbers, then the jays are in for a good season.

AL Central: Cleveland

A weak division - They won it last year, and look poised to do it again.

If the Blue Jays beat the Yankees and Red Sox for the Divison title I will be stunned.  No Chance.

AL Central Weak?

Most people think it is the strongest division in baseball from top to bottom. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:22:35 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 20, 2008, 06:39:32 PM

We'll finish behind the D-Rays this year, but we are FINALLY rebuilding with younger talent instead making big splashes with vets way past thier prime  thumbsup

So does that mean the boycott cometh to an endeth?

Will you actually be going to an Orioles game this season, or is that just crazytalk on my part?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »

Go Giants!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 09:02:58 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 20, 2008, 08:09:26 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 20, 2008, 06:39:32 PM

So does that mean the boycott cometh to an endeth?

Will you actually be going to an Orioles game this season, or is that just crazytalk on my part?

McPhail has inspired me, so I might actually head to the Yard for a few games this summer

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 11:03:23 PM »

No love for my Dbacks yet again smile   The rotation looks good, but good lord that offense needs to pick it up.  And no Tony Clark will hurt, but I still think (on paper...scary) they could be the best team in the division.

-dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 12:45:19 AM »

Life long Mariner fan so I'll pick them... I don't have a lot of faith though.  I want 2001 again with a better playoff run.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 12:49:06 AM »

I'm psyched for this year, as a Brewers fan.  If the Brewers wouldn't have collapsed down the stretch, they could have held off the surging Cubs.  Now that they have another year of experience under their belts, they'll know how to do that.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »

LA of Anaheim and California of the USA and Earth ANGELS.

(or the Tigers if I had to lay down some cash on it)

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 11:28:05 PM »

The tigers and the mets will square off for the title and in a shocking turn, the NY Giants will come out with chairs and the announcers will yell "But who's side are they on?" and label the Tigers, costing them the title.  Then the mets and the giants will shake hands, they had planned it all along.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 03:15:52 AM »

Mets win the World Series, beating the Yankees in six games.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »

Quote from: Darkstar One on February 23, 2008, 03:15:52 AM

Mets win the World Series, beating the Yankees in six games.

No.  The Yankees are nowhere near.  Joe Girardi had one good year in Florida with an extremely talented group of youngsters.  Now he has an old rotation, a locker room full of prima donnas, and 1 1/2 good relievers (Joba and Mariano).

The Mets?  Maybe.  Lastings is out of New York, and that'll help.  They have Johan.  Who knows?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 01:56:34 AM »

Fatty's coming across the country with a minor league deal for the Sox!!! Now I've gotta lock up my food IF he passes the physical.
 icon_frown

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »

No shit?  When did this happen? 

I think the Angels should trade for Nomar!!!!   icon_biggrin

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 02:34:31 AM »

Monday.

If Nomar was on the Angels I would get to watch him every night in the hopes that he would fail miserably and then be out of baseball for good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: